Rhode Island Becomes First State To Pass Bill Of Rights For The Homeless

Samantha 2012/06/27 01:05:33
This is long overdue.

Throughout the last few years, conservatives have literally treated the homeless like garbage. In some states, people are being arrested for daring to help the homeless, and Republicans across the country seek to eliminate crucial funding that assists the homeless in finding shelter, food, water, and other necessities. This is all the more tragic when one considers that veterans make up a large portion of the homeless population. The homeless are less protected than everyone else in this country. They have found it difficult to vote and have been discriminated against by businesses who do not want to hire them whether they are experienced and skilled for the job or not. But Rhode Island is stepping up to the plate for the homeless, and from now on, homeless people will have their own Bill of Rights in at least one state.

Last week, Governor Chaffee signed S-2052 , which states that “no person’s rights, privileges or access to public services will be denied solely because he or she is homeless.” The legislation guarantees that the homeless will be protected from discrimination and are entitled to the same rights that all American citizens enjoy.

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/06/25/rhode-isla...

• kir 2012/06/27 01:10:05
    kir
    +4
    Actually true conservatives wouldn't treat the homeless like garbage; they would volunteer their time and resources to help the homeless rather than just pour money into the problem as if that would make a difference. It's funny that the same group of people that seem to say that money is evil think that just spending more will somehow change things.

• superangrymonkey 2012/06/28 20:12:03
    superangrymonkey
    Why did all of the state mental hospitals close? Oh right. Liberals.

Kthx
  • Samantha superan... 2012/07/02 14:30:02
    Samantha
    No, underfunding by conservatives. California, under Reagan, is a good example.
  • superan... Samantha 2012/07/03 03:07:25
    superangrymonkey
    No, no no... Incorrect. The hospitals were closed because of social stigma attached to them and liberal politicians thinking that they were cruel,. You're welcome.
  • bill.anderson.92798072 2012/06/27 12:38:06
    bill.anderson.92798072
    +2
    To read why similar legislation is needed in neighboring MA and CT, search for "New police weapon against homeless" and "Historic coverup of FBI and police crimes currently taking place". Bill Anderson Masters degree Harding University 1993 soxin8@hotmail.com
  • atomikmom 2012/06/27 05:31:05
    atomikmom
    AWSOME!!!!!! GREAT!!!
  • TheCouchF*cker 2012/06/27 05:09:33
    TheCouchF*cker
    Begging for some goon in government to give you a lolly again, Sammy? What a surprise.
  • Samantha TheCouc... 2012/06/27 14:32:54
    Samantha
    You're extremely rude; I don't have any use for people like you.
  • TheCouc... Samantha 2012/06/27 16:26:51 (edited)
    TheCouchF*cker
    Sucks to be you. I find swatting fools over the nose with a rolled-up newspaper to be extremely therapeutic.
  • Samantha TheCouc... 2012/06/27 16:33:40 (edited)
    Samantha
    Wow, another conservative who resorts to violence; of course, conservatives advocate violence frequently when sitting behind a keyboard.

I notice you resorted to profanity; similar to so many conservatives, you appear to have an extremely limited vocabulary.
  • TheCouc... Samantha 2012/06/27 16:36:17
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/06/27 01:34:04 (edited)
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +2
    LOL you must be joking? Conservative out donate liberals by a lot both in time, and money given to charities that help the poor and homeless. We even give more blood.

Just some of the findings.

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Any more brilliant statement about how the conservatives don't care about the homeless?

Your statement is incredibly uneducated and stupid. http://www.realclearpolitics....
  • ☆ElenaD... ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 01:37:54
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    This was written by a liberal. Even he knows that liberals are not known for their generosity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/1...
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 14:34:39
    Samantha
    I'm not a liberal; I'm a progressive.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 15:18:51
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    Uh huh. Stingy.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 15:27:23
    Samantha
    What leads you to believe Kristoff is a liberal? Just because he works for the New York Times doesn't make him a liberal. Your last comment is, typical of conservatives, meaningless. I'm involved in my church's outreach to the homeless, I've worked in a homeless shelter, and my parents, now deceased, were active in the Peace Corps. I'll match my efforts to aid the poor, the vulnerable and societal outcasts to you at any time. I've taken part in Occupy Wall Street protests, protests and actions to bring out social change that reduces income disparity in the United States, I'm anti-war and have protested against U.S. militarism and imperialism while, no doubt, you supported Bush's invasion of Iraq and the killing of Iraqi children.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 15:30:38
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    Did you read the op Ed? He said We liberals. I assume that he means himself since he appears to be a skilled writer.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 15:47:23
    Samantha
    Let Kristoff speak for himself; this progressive does more than her share of the necessary work. The governor was right to sign the bill into law; end of story.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 16:30:37
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    Get over it. Conservatives are more generous.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 16:35:08
    Samantha
    Not when it comes to programs that actually help the poor and the working class. In fact, conservatives oppose all welfare except corporate welfare and welfare for the 1%. Individuals, alone, cannot solve global/national problems; they require action on the part of governments to create more equitable societies.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 16:37:25
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    I'm sorry but the facts say otherwise. Read up on it. Conservatives out give liberals almost 4 to one.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 15:31:19 (edited)
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    You are the exception. Our numbers nearly quadruple yours as a whole. You are speaking for yourself, not from factual data. Emotion based thought is not the same as statistical evidence.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 15:45:15 (edited)
    Samantha
    The only people in America, today, working from emotion are conservatives; after all, hatred is an emotion and conservatives seem to have more than their share.

As my parents did before me, I'm involved, politically and otherwise, to make this a better world with less income inequality, a more equitable distribution of wealth, reducing poverty meaning, supporting the U.N. framework and greatly reducing U.S. militarism and imperialism that negatively impacts billions of human beings on this planet.

I seriously doubt you support more taxes on the 1%, reducing income disparity, and ending U.S. imperialism.

Poverty, racism, imperialism, militarism and climate change are global problems and require global solutions. That's something people like you oppose. Fighting poverty in America requires government action which means the wealthiest must pay more; any tax breaks should go to the working class only, not to corporations and the wealthy.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 15:46:35
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    I , I , I still ignoring data to make it about you.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 16:25:32
    Samantha
    If you read what I posted, you'd realize it's about you and your embrace of greedy American capitalism.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 15:54:36 (edited)
    Samantha
    By the way, the fundamental answer to your question is that most American "liberals" aren't really all that liberal. I'd refer to them as "new liberals" meaning they generally support greedy American capitalism, vocalize opposition to war but never actually make the sacrifices necessary to end U.S. militarism and imperialism. If you examine campaign contributions, conservatives and "liberals" essentially receive large sums of money from corporate America and hardly a single U.S. politician, conservative or "liberal" will stand up and fight corporate fascism. Examining history, Adolf Hitler came to power because he was supported, significantly, by German corporations and corporate elites. They gave the money necessary for Hitler and the Nazis to run political campaigns. Today, in the United States, corporations, thanks to the Supreme Court, basically own U.S. elections. The idea that a corporation is a person goes against even the most basic moral understanding of humanity.

To state my position for bluntly, the United States, today, is nothing more than a third-rate, miitaristic, corporate-owned entity with ever disappearing freedoms primarily taken away to support the corporate entities that own the U.S.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 14:34:25
    Samantha
    Define charity; most conservatives give to their extremist fundamentalist churches.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 15:18:06
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Such B.S. pretty sure a homeless starving person will take food and shelter wherever they can. Also conservatives out give in NON Christian charities as well. This is fact. We even give more blood.
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 15:28:34
    Samantha
    Yes, conservatives are quite willing to give the blood of young people when conservatives illegally invade sovereign nations for the good of oil companies. Governor Chaffee was right to support the new law. End of story.
  • ☆ElenaD... Samantha 2012/06/27 16:32:15 (edited)
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    You are far too emotional for logical discussion. Go whine to someone else.

EDIT: WHAT A COWARD. Block in the face of facts. No doubt. LOL!! Haters gonna hat gif
  • Samantha ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 16:40:04 (edited)
    Samantha
    I posted a fact about conservatives; you can't stand facts. Elena, it seems you lack any ability to put aside your extreme right-wing emotions and discuss any issue. I've found conservatives rely too much on emotions like hate, racism and sexism and tend to lack an ability to discuss without insulting. I have no use for you; you're a waste of my time.

Whether you like it or not, this world is changing and, frankly, the American imperialistic/militaristic empire is coming to an end. Instead of investing in infrastructure, Americans invest in WMDs and, in the process, undermine their own freedoms for some semblance of "security."

Why are Americans, especially conservatives, so afraid of the world to the point where they fight against sustainable development, disarmament, ending poverty, and ending income inequality? Today, Americans, and especially conservatives, seem to live in a world dominated by fear of things they either don't understand or are too ignorant to grasp.

I shall move on to more productive endeavors instead of wasting my time with you. Your problem is you're a right wing extremist.

I very rarely block other posters; however, you're a complete waste of time and have insulted me more than once. Congratulations.
  • say what? 2012/06/27 01:28:10
    say what?
    +2
    That is stupid. The homeless have always had the same rights as every other citizen. The problem has been the corruption of city officials and law enforcement. And there are already laws against corruption. They just need to be enforced.
  • Samantha say what? 2012/06/27 14:34:50
    Samantha
    No, they didn't have the same rights.
  • Aurora 2012/06/27 01:19:34
    Aurora
    +1
    I am a conservative, I pulled up at walmart one hot afternoon and this man who looked like a meth head with 10 layers of clothes on and nasty hair came up to me and asked me for a quarter so he could make a phone call and I gave him 2.00, I could not give the Salvation Army but $10.00 this year due to being unemployed not drawing unemployment, we gave a guy $5.00 bucks at the automotive store so he could call a cab to go eat at the mission because he missed the bus. I dont know who you think you are, but maybe you should get a job and give all your money to the homeless. Why are people homeless because you voted for Obama and he put everyone on the unemployment rolls and food stamps and now it has all run out. Do you ride your bike to the homeless shelter and serve up meals, do you pack lunches for all the kids who do not eat in the summer, or do you just bitch about republican. Your wasting time, I know that you are an Obama sycophant, how many college graduates are obtaining employment after graduation not many.
  • Samantha Aurora 2012/06/27 14:35:47 (edited)
    Samantha
    "Obama sycophant"

Translation: Aurora can't stand the fact a black man is president.
  • Aurora Samantha 2012/06/27 18:02:19
    Aurora
    Omen is half white and half black, had a white mother and grandparents and a Kenyan father, so what do you call him. You are a racist.
  • Aurora 2012/06/27 01:15:10
    Aurora
    +2
    I recently asked my friend's little girl

what she wanted to be when she grows up.

She said she wanted to be President some day.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her,

"If you were President, what would be the first thing you would do?"

She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people."

Her parents beamed with pride.

"Wow...what a worthy goal." I told her.

"But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that.

You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds,

and sweep my driveway, and I'll pay you $50.

Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs

out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.

" She thought that over for a few seconds,

then she looked me straight in the eye and asked,

"Wouldn't it make more sense for the homeless guy to come over and do the

work, and you can just pay him the $50 directly?"

I said,

"Welcome to the Republican Party."

Her parents still aren't speaking to me.
  • kir Aurora 2012/06/27 01:26:20
    kir
    +2
    Just be careful; I've found the Republican party to be just as corrupt most of the time--the Republicans and Democrats have had far too long being the de facto parties.
  • Samantha Aurora 2012/06/27 14:36:28
    Samantha
    No proof this actually happened and, more than likely, a made-up conservative lie in an attempt to justify conservative bigotry.
  • Samantha Aurora 2012/06/27 14:39:45 (edited)
    Samantha
    Another conservative Internet scam. Why didn't you post one of the many "sources" for this little conservative lie and scam? You have no credibility.

http://woody.typepad.com/my_w...

You're truly desperate for something to justify your racism and lack of compassion.
  • kir 2012/06/27 01:10:05
    kir
    +4

2014/11/23 17:18:46