Reverse Discrimination; does it exist? If so, what is it?

BrianD3 2011/09/07 19:13:24
Ocassionally I come across a term on SH and in the world called "Reverse Discrimination". What is reverse discrimination to you? Is there such a thing?

I kind of have a notion that discrimination is when an individual or a group is treated in a seperate, unequal or disparate manner. I dont think that race is part of the definition. I think it applies to any person or group treating any other person or group in any manner that isnt not fair or just.

• OPOA912 2011/09/07 19:25:21
    Yes and it is.....
    OPOA912
    +12
    Check you college entrance quotas. Check Fireman and Police hiring quotas. Check Construction contract clauses regarding % of minority contracts.

• disclaimer 2011/09/16 21:37:16
    Yes and it is.....
    disclaimer
    +1
    Discriminating in favor of black people/other minorities., as a way of compensating for what we did for 100 years.
  • BrianD3 disclaimer 2011/09/19 11:45:15
    BrianD3
    I was not here 100 years ago so I am getting a little sick of paying for something I did not do
  • disclaimer BrianD3 2011/09/29 06:55:11
    disclaimer
    +1
    My mom's friend got in trouble at the college where she worked for saying the words "your master's program" to a black student. Apparently, "your master's" had a slave connotation, even though it was clearly meant to describe the education she was in.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2011/09/14 15:22:54
    of course not
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    The notion of "Reverse Discrimination," means it's a presumption of discrimination that is one sided. Meaning they assume most discrimination comes from white people, so when it happens to them it is reverse. It's an inane concept that signifies hate and doesn't condemn discrimination across the board.
  • BrianD3 Latti I... 2011/09/14 15:34:17
    BrianD3
    +1
    well said
  • Tony 2011/09/14 15:00:10
  • BrianD3 Tony 2011/09/14 15:04:35
    BrianD3
    +1
    I agree 100%
  • Latti I... BrianD3 2011/09/14 15:21:35
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    ....and to hammer the point further in, the notion of "Reverse Discrimination," means it's a presumption of discrimination that is one sided. Meaning they assume most discrimination comes from white people, so when it happens to them it is reverse. It's an inane concept that signifies hate and doesn't condemn discrimination across the board.
  • Tony Latti I... 2011/09/14 15:44:18
    Tony
    +2
    to take that a step further, could it be said that "Reverse Discrimination" is in itself racist?
  • Latti I... Tony 2011/09/14 15:50:21
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Yes, because it is making an assumption about a whole group of people. The assumption is most white people cause discrimination so when it happens to them it is reverse.
  • BrianD3 Latti I... 2011/09/14 16:10:25
    BrianD3
    +1
    it does seem that way to me
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2011/09/14 13:38:14
    Yes and it is.....
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    Most likely best described as the favoring of a member of a historically underprivileged group by a member of that group who has achieved some power and the limitation of advancement of members of the "in group."
  • shadowfang 2011/09/14 06:18:55
    of course not
    shadowfang
    +2
    Discrimination is still discrimination. It doesn't matter if it's a group of Russians hating a Japanese guy, or a Mexican guy hating a group of Germans

russians hating japanese guy mexican guy hating group germans discrimination
  • Carl 2011/09/13 16:13:00
    Yes and it is.....
    Carl
    +1
    I experienced it when applying for promotions only to find out later that only a certain group (race) would be considered. They called it the great "nu-quota" in HR. Why? If you get federal dollars, you must use sleath affirmative action tactics to met racial balance.
  • moonchild 2011/09/13 14:04:14
    of course not
    moonchild
    +2
    I don't agree with the terminology. Discrimination is just that, it doesn't matter if it's a white person hating a black person or a black person hating a white.
  • iamthem... moonchild 2011/09/14 13:43:05
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    I agree - however, the implication of discrimination is a power dynamic which generally means we're talking about a minority group (for lack of a better term) as the victim of discrimination. "Reverse-discrimination" as a term tends to be more communicative when considering that.
  • 1Actual 2011/09/13 09:38:37
    Yes and it is.....
    1Actual
    +1
    Married, white, heterosexual, legal American male between the ages of 30-45...the single most discriminated against demographic in the United States, followed by Single, white, heterosexual, legal American male between the ages of 30-45. demographic united white heterosexual legal american male ages 30-45 White pride
  • BrianD3 1Actual 2011/09/13 10:57:42
    BrianD3
    I agree
  • moonchild 1Actual 2011/09/14 13:42:31
    moonchild
    How exactly have you been discriminated against? Please, tell me about your life of oppression.
  • BrianD3 moonchild 2011/09/14 14:19:54
    BrianD3
    +1
    well an obvious example was when I was passed over for a supervisor position at a grocery store that I was working at even though I had retail grocery management experience, several years retail grocery experience, and a degree....they gave it to a lady with 6 months retail grocery experience who was previously a hairdresser......they did it because they felt they HAD to get more women into management because of a frivolous lawsuit.

I would stay late and come in early to make sure things were right. I would come in on my days off to make sure I could put in a good order and none of that mattered. She did not make a similar effort. Quotas are ineffecient and wrong.
  • Latti I... BrianD3 2011/09/14 15:48:11
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Yes true, but actually we all are being discriminated against. Think about it, for example blacks have the highest unemployment rate right now yet people believe they are being favored by Obama/Eric Holder. It's all a game to make everyone believe the other side is getting the upper hand. In reality no one is, because affirmative action hasn't helped minorities or gained them anything of value. The Progressive policies of welfare for all, among other things has only divided the American people. No one group is the most discriminated at the moment, but the illusion of it makes people want to get at that group for false entitlement. Believe me D, it's all a game there isn't any group in the U.S that has the upper hand.
  • BrianD3 Latti I... 2011/09/14 15:53:03
    BrianD3
    +1
    I would rather just see an open playing field.
  • Latti I... BrianD3 2011/09/14 16:08:53
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    I agree which is why so many Progressive programs need to end including Affrimative Action. I want to see the best and brightest get what they worked hard for.

Side note: The job should of been given to you.
  • BrianD3 Latti I... 2011/09/14 16:14:59
    BrianD3
    +1
    I am glad that it didnt as it caused me to look elsewhere. I have a decent job now with cool bosses and co-workers and unlike in the grocery business, I now get weekends, holidays and evenings off. I have even found time to go back to school and pick up two more degrees. At the time I was rather cross, but I turned it into something positive anyway.
  • Latti I... BrianD3 2011/09/14 16:25:46
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Thats good ;-)
  • 1Actual moonchild 2011/09/14 22:28:29
    1Actual
    +1
    For starters, 1: My application for the OKC police dept. I was told after a aced all three tests, lie detector, physical and written, and that although I had the highest test score in my orientation class (about 15 or so) they could not hire me because and I quote "I would rreally love to send you to the next phase of hiring, but to be honest with you you are the wrong age, wrong sex and wrong color" end quote. Since he was a Marine too, he said he felt he owed me the truth. 2nd: My last two years of college have had to be paid out of pocket because "as a married white male, there are no grants available for your demographic" and I could not even get a damn Pell grant! 3rd: I lost out on a promotion because I was a male, with no college degree, and they had "quotas" they had to meet legally. So yes! I am a bit bitter and upset, rightly so. You are probably a woman, so you have got it made, there are plenty of quotas and grant opportunities for YOU. And that is just assuming you are white. If you are a woman of ethnic background, you are even better off. So, please don't sit there and try and incite an online arguement when you have no clue what other folks have been thru.
  • moonchild 1Actual 2011/09/14 22:49:15
    moonchild
    My husband is a middle aged married white male working full time and qualifies for financial aid so sorry, I'm not buying that it was your sex and color that disqualified you.

If an employer was looking for a degree, and you didn't have one, you simply didn't qualify whether they were meeting quotas or not.

The police department job, you should have sued the pants off of them, and by letting them get away with it, you are contributing to the problem.

Yes, I'm a woman. Guess what? My pell grants and financial aid is no different than what my husband qualifies for.. so nice try on that front too.
  • 1Actual moonchild 2011/09/15 02:16:04 (edited)
  • moonchild 1Actual 2011/09/15 05:10:47
    moonchild
    You're a sexist and a racist who blames everyone else for your own shortcomings.. how is that for justification??

You see what you want, but you don't know what was on that woman's resume or how her references were.. all you saw was that she was a black female and you just assumed you poor oppressed white men were passed up because of your sex and color. It must really suck being a white man in America! lol It couldn't possibly be that the company didn't want to promote a couple of men who can't see past a persons sex or color for their bigger positions.
  • moonchild 1Actual 2011/09/15 05:13:06
    moonchild
    Also- if you were a Marine, why didn't you go to school on a GI Bill? That is a beautiful opportunity that our country provides to anyone in the military.
  • 1Actual moonchild 2011/09/15 06:15:26
    1Actual
    +1
    Because I was young and idealistic and stupid. I got caught up so much in my job working with kids that I looked up one day and I had passed my 10 year limit.
  • The River Rat 2011/09/13 03:03:28
    The River Rat
    +1
    It is all just discrimination.
  • jams 2011/09/13 00:47:00
    of course not
    jams
    +2
    It's just the 3rd law of Newtonian physics - every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
  • Willie 2011/09/12 23:42:37
    of course not
    Willie
    +1
    It's just people pissing and moaning that they can no longer rely on their white skin and male genitalia as a ticket to success in this country.
  • BrianD3 Willie 2011/09/13 10:58:42
    BrianD3
    right, so AA, quotas, protected classes.....those are all ok?
  • Willie BrianD3 2011/09/13 20:06:24
    Willie
    Of course they are. They aren't enough, though. They merely help to minimize that damage done by bigotry.
  • BrianD3 Willie 2011/09/14 12:46:53
    BrianD3
    +1
    they need to be abolished. equal means equal like a level playing feild, like equal opportunity....cant have that with all those bariers to real competition
  • Willie BrianD3 2011/09/14 15:37:59
    Willie
    If you abolish equal opportunity laws, then things won't be equal at all anymore. Unless you think that "free to discriminate at will" means equal.
  • BrianD3 Willie 2011/09/14 15:39:49
    BrianD3
    +1
    quotas and unequal protections do not create equlity
  • Willie BrianD3 2011/09/14 15:40:51
    Willie
    No, but they're a good replacement for it while we wait for humans to outgrow the need to discriminate.

2014/07/29 00:44:08