Republicans vote down a bill to prevent call centers from being off shore

gocar 2012/06/20 22:11:42
Wells Fargo, T-Mobile are among the corporations who have call centers in foreign countries. The Republicans voted down a bill that would encourage companies to bring those jobs back to America. 500,000 jobs have been lost to foreign call centers in the past 6 months. The Call Center and Worker Protections Act would have cut off federal loans to corporations that operate call centers off shore. It was voted down by all the Republicans and some Democrats. Which of course shows how the Dems really never have been in control because there are Dems who vote with Republican more of the time than not. Plus they are all sucking up to their campaign donators.

• Che Guevara - Hero 2012/06/20 22:19:39
    shame on them
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +5
    Republicans care little about American Workers. They are bought and paid for by the Wealthy and the Corporations.
    capitalist pyramid

• Linkums 2012/07/20 13:03:32
    They did the right thing
    Linkums
    This is freedom. If you don't want call centers to be off shore, find a way to make America the better alternative. If you just straight out make it illegal to have off shore call centers, companies will leave the country entirely.
  • Brosia 2012/07/20 04:30:37
  • aherbert 2012/06/21 19:05:37
    shame on them
    aherbert
    The GOP only agenda is to make the President a one term President to the detriment of the country....
  • jasmine1 2012/06/21 16:43:57
    shame on them
    jasmine1
    I wonder how much they were paid off.
  • bob h. 2012/06/21 14:18:07
    shame on them
    bob h.
    +1
    I automatically ask for a supervisor. They are supposed to connect you w/ a domestic operator. OTOH, privatized prisons use prisoners for call centers and internet stores. Ever wonder why CC theft is on the rise? People give their CC# to inmates who are in for ridiculous crimes.
  • aneed2know 2012/06/21 09:25:13 (edited)
    shame on them
    aneed2know
    shame on them and some one asked for proof of this, well here you go. i would have posted it to the person but as always the coward has me blocked.

http://www.cwanj.org/content/...

Apr 24, 2012

Washington, D.C. – April 24, 2012 - The Communications Workers of America (CWA) today said the revelation that U.S. taxpayer dollars have been used to train overseas call center workers raises worrisome questions about priorities, accountability, and common sense as the domestic call center industry continues to shed jobs, losing over 500,000 since 2006 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Last week, U.S. Representatives Tim Bishop (D-NY) and Walter Jones (R-NC) issued a letter to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) inquiring about the agency’s involvement in the American taxpayer-funded training of overseas call center workers in the Philippines. Subsequently, USAID announced the suspension of its participation in this program.

“We commend Representatives Bishop and Jones on their efforts to call attention to this program and to ensure that taxpayer money is used to strengthen the American workforce above all,” said CWA Legislative Director Shane Larson. “Representing 150,000 customer service professionals gives us the responsibility to assure they go to...

http://www.cwanj.org/content/...

Apr 24, 2012

“We commend Representatives Bishop and Jones on their efforts to call attention to this program and to ensure that taxpayer money is used to strengthen the American workforce above all,” said CWA Legislative Director Shane Larson. “Representing 150,000 customer service professionals gives us the responsibility to assure they go to work every day on a level playing field.”

The original letter from Rep. Bishop and Rep. Jones noted the stakes: to “essentially underwrite our international competitors is short-sighted public policy and a direct threat to our economic competitiveness.”

Following the USAID announcement about the program’s suspension, Rep. Bishop pledged to “ensure that America's international economic development efforts in no way contribute to shipping our jobs overseas."

CWA strongly supports the continuing bipartisan efforts by Rep. Bishop along with over 100 members of both parties, who support legislation to strengthen the U.S. call center industry and to crack down on fraud emanating from overseas call centers in the process.

http://www.cwa-union.org/news...
  • Gloria 2012/06/21 07:32:25
    shame on them
    Gloria
    +1
    I am livid! Sometimes I have to call six times to find someone I can understand.
  • bob h. Gloria 2012/06/21 14:23:34
    bob h.
    +2
    I think AT&T is the worst for that. And their service is the world's worst.
  • Gloria bob h. 2012/06/21 16:29:31
    Gloria
    +1
    I have all my phones & internet with them. Everything is working so well I have called them in a million years. I remember when I used to call asking them to repeat so I could understand.
    They did the right thing
    Making laws like that as much as they would like to do that are anti-freedom and capitalistic. We need to de-regulate and give tax incentives to bring jobs back--real simple!
  • Cal 2012/06/21 01:06:47
    Other Choices: you tell me
    Cal
    Proof?? Is it too much to ask that you back up your own words????
    Other Choices: you tell me
    Why was it voted down? Riders? The reason those jobs went offshore was to keep costs down for the consumer - to bring business back here some things need to be done - are taxes lower? are wages competitive? No and no and the left is raging against business, why should they even want to come back. Hell, Obama went to India to cheer on the call centers and bathed in the glory of helping their economies - not sure what your point is.
  • JDLogan 2012/06/20 23:36:01
    Other Choices: you tell me
    JDLogan
    For customer satisfaction, all call centers should be in the US, and people should have to pass a speaking test before getting the job.

For outbound calls a person should have to physically punch the number into the telephone, and the company should be subject to a $10,000 fine for every time they call someone on the federal do not call list or if they call someone after being asked not to. "Wardialing" (computer dialing several numbers, then sending the first answer to a operator and dropping the other calls) should be utterly banned.
  • Næthan Æterna 2012/06/20 23:19:38
    Other Choices: you tell me
    Næthan Æterna
    +1
    Care to tell us why the Republicans and some Democrats voted the bill down? Do you know? In order to make a rational decision, I need to know WHY. What else was hidden in this bill that we don't know about? Politicians piggy-back other bills in legislation all of the time.
  • aneed2know Næthan ... 2012/06/21 09:34:33
    aneed2know
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.cwanj.org/content/...

have you ever known a Bill passed that did not have riders on them, not dealing with what the Bill is intended to do, honestly?
  • Næthan ... aneed2know 2012/06/22 17:15:44
    Næthan Æterna
    Honestly, no, but I still disagree with the process. I checked out the HuffPo article, thanks for the link. Here is a comment on that article that makes some good points too.

Florian EngageAmerica .5 Fans .05:09 PM on 03/29/2012

This is a bit of a catch 22. We want to penalize companies for sending jobs overseas. Yet the country that wants to penalize us for sending jobs overseas because it won’t change its own regulatory policy. Isn’t there something wrong with this issue? It would seem to me that there would be less of a reason for Americans to send jobs overseas if there were an easier regulatory policy for companies n the united states that would allow them to thrive an prosper in what is an already very tough economic environment. (http://bit.ly/w5FPPq) If we don’t change these policies, this penalization unjust for companies who are just trying to do well.
  • aneed2know Næthan ... 2012/06/26 04:34:37
    aneed2know
    they can do well all they want, but they cannot do well on my Tax money and tax breaks.
  • Pm 2012/06/20 23:18:02
    They did the right thing
    Pm
    +1
    I know the libs want to kill business and regulate every aspect of it. However, some people still believe in freedom in this country.
  • The Judge Pm 2012/06/21 00:14:53
    The Judge
    +1
    So let all jobs get out sourced great strategy =p
  • Pm The Judge 2012/06/21 06:12:33
    Pm
    "I know the libs want to kill business and regulate every aspect of it. However, some people still believe in freedom in this country."
    I know you can discuss my comment. Some companies outsource, some companies have enough capital to spend on American based call centers. Some need to cut back on spending, the last 4-5 years people have been paying down debt and trying to mingle up as much capital as they can in any way possible. Keeping a business afloat is better for the economy than those lost jobs placed over seas.
  • bob h. Pm 2012/06/21 14:39:49
    bob h.
    Do you ever re-read what you write?
  • Pm bob h. 2012/06/22 02:56:32
    Pm
    WOuld you like to discuss my comment or act like a lib?
  • bob h. Pm 2012/06/25 16:09:41
    bob h.
    If I could figure out what you think you're saying. Doesn't look good though.
  • Pm bob h. 2012/06/25 17:23:15
    Pm
    its ok you support ROn Paul...I know its hard for Ron Paul libs to understand anything.
  • bob h. Pm 2012/06/26 02:27:04
    bob h.
    Where do you get this stuff?
  • Pm bob h. 2012/06/26 02:52:29
  • bob h. Pm 2012/06/27 01:38:13
    bob h.
    I don't know what you're saying fool. You coming here is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. You're annoying the adults.
  • aneed2know The Judge 2012/06/21 09:26:40 (edited)
    aneed2know
    yeah great strategy until we all work for peanuts.
  • The Judge aneed2know 2012/06/21 16:58:13
    The Judge
    +2
    Agreed, This all started back with Regan , making it easier to move your business over seas. Slowly but surley North America will be the new third world. That is by design though. China is heading this Free trade is thwe bain of the middle class.
  • aneed2know Pm 2012/06/21 09:37:56
    aneed2know
    +1
    oh really, so this is perfectly okay with you:

Asian Call Center Workers Trained With U.S. Tax Dollars

Multimillion dollar USAID program trains college students in the Philippines to work in offshore call centers, but one Congressman tells InformationWeek he's going to put a stop to it.

Despite President Obama's recent call for companies to "insource" jobs sent overseas, it turns out that the federal government itself is spending millions of dollars to train foreign students for employment in some booming career fields--including working in offshore call centers that serve U.S. businesses.
    The program is called JEEP, which stands for Job Enabling English Proficiency. It's available to college students in the Philippines through USAID. That's the same agency that until a couple of years ago was spending millions of dollars in U.S. taxpayer money to train offshore IT workers in Sri Lanka--until I reported that inconvenient truth in this story. The ensuing uproar led to the Sri Lanka initiative's termination.

A JEEP document published by USAID notes that the program "is classroom based, and focuses on the specialized English skills required by employers in areas such as: nursing and allied healthcare; maritime services; travel and tourism services; business process outsourcing (BPO), ...

A JEEP document published by USAID notes that the program "is classroom based, and focuses on the specialized English skills required by employers in areas such as: nursing and allied healthcare; maritime services; travel and tourism services; business process outsourcing (BPO), and other areas of international employment." Students--there are about 23,000 in the Philippines currently enrolled--commit to undertake 400 hours of training during two years of study.
    It's the BPO (another name for call center operations) part of the curriculum that's troubling for U.S. offshoring opponents. When I informed Congressman Tim Bishop (D-New York) about the program on Tuesday, he called it "surprising and distressing." Bishop, who was instrumental in getting USAID to end its Sri Lanka program, recently introduced a bill that would make companies that outsource call centers ineligible for government contracts.
    The U.S. "has lost five hundred thousand call center jobs in the last five years," Bishop noted during a phone interview.
    [ What impacts workers more, outsourcing or automation? See Outsourcing or Automation: No Difference To Unemployed Workers. ]
    JEEP is part of a larger USAID initiative in the Philippines, known as Growth and Equity in Mindanao (GEM), on which the agency is spending about $100 million per year, according to an audit by the USAID's Office of Inspector General. Mindanao is a region in the southern Philippines that's known as a stronghold for Muslim rebels opposed to the central government.
    "The JEEP program was developed to promote peace and stability in Mindanao by teaching English to youth in conflict-prone areas to help them pursue gainful employment in tourism, nursing and other locally-based industries and to break the cycle of violence which had gripped that region of the Philippines," a USAID spokesperson said, in an e-mail.
    Bishop countered that such efforts shouldn't come at the expense of U.S. workers. "We have foreign policy imperatives, we have international development imperatives, but our No. 1 imperative has to be the protection and creation of jobs here in this country," Bishop said.
    USAID's spokesperson said JEEP is set to expire at the end of the year. But Bishop wants it stopped immediately, he said.
    "We have a serious jobs deficit in this country and the fact that we would spend U.S. taxpayer dollars to prepare foreign nationals to take over jobs that can easily be done by Americans is shocking" he said. "I'm going to write to the USAID administrator and demand that this program be terminated. And during the appropriations process I will entertain any option I have to cut off the flow of funds to this project."
    What's especially troubling is that the JEEP program is operating even as President Obama is calling on companies to return call center work and other jobs to the U.S. Here's what he said at an "insourcing summit" at The White House in January. "My message to business leaders today is simple. Ask yourself what you can do to bring jobs back to the country that made our success possible. And I'm going to do everything in my power to help you do it."
    Even as he spoke, the President's hand-picked head of USAID, Rajiv Shah, was overseeing a program to train offshore call center workers. Is that hypocrisy or just managerial incompetence on the part of the White House?
    In my view, if a privately-owned company (including "publicly" traded ones like IBM) wants to outsource work overseas, that's its business. Ultimately, the executives who make such a decision will be answerable to shareholders and customers. If the strategy works, they'll be rewarded. If not, they'll get pummeled by the market.
    But it's unfathomable that a federal agency like USAID should be (again) dipping into the public trough for money to train foreign nationals to work in overseas call centers.
    Nominate your company for the 2012 InformationWeek 500--our 24th annual ranking of the nation's very best business technology innovators. Deadline is April 27. Organizations with $250 million or more in revenue may apply for the 2012 InformationWeek 500 now.

http://www.informationweek.co...
    shame on them
    +3
    And people WANt these idiots to be in charge?

So much for the republicans "creating jobs"!!
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/06/20 22:46:19
    They did the right thing
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    The government already over-regulates our business.
  • gocar Rusty S... 2012/06/21 03:06:21
    gocar
    +1
    I beg your pardon. What business are you in to know that. My business experience has me tearing my hair out because of the state government not the FEDS
  • Rusty S... gocar 2012/06/21 05:50:35
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I work in the medical field, the government regulated every tiny aspect of every thing we do.
  • bob h. Rusty S... 2012/06/21 15:04:12
    bob h.
    Don't you think they should? The death rate for prescription drugs alone is over 14,000 a year, but yet the advertising continues. We're 37 in health care world wide but spend more on health insurance than any other country in the world.
  • Rusty S... bob h. 2012/06/21 16:57:40
    Rusty Shackleford
    Don't you think they should?

No, not at all.
  • bob h. Rusty S... 2012/06/21 14:50:28
    bob h.
    The companies that are wealthy enough to purchase their very own politicians, not only don't pay tax, but get subsidies. Walmart, for instance, gets so many, nobody seems to be able to count them. Exxon posted the best quarter in the history of business, so instead of paying, Bush gave them a subsidy; Westinghouse pays nothing and on and on.
  • Rusty S... bob h. 2012/06/21 16:59:14
    Rusty Shackleford
    I oppose ALL subsidies, do you? Or do you just oppose certain subsidies that go to companies and industries that you don't like?
  • bob h. Rusty S... 2012/06/22 00:15:44
    bob h.
    If 14,000 are dying, don't you think a little regulation might be called for? It not like cars, but cars are regulated to death.
  • Rusty S... bob h. 2012/06/22 14:31:41
    Rusty Shackleford
    So you do support subsidies, but only for companies that you approve of.

How do you justify that hypocrisy?

2014/10/31 15:59:43