Republicans Start to Panic as ObamaCare Reaches 50% Approval

ProudProgressive 2012/07/02 23:26:12
My apologies. The title is a little misleading. To say that the Republicans are STARTING to panic now that the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act's constitutionality has been protected would ignore the last three years of deliberate and profound Right Wing disinformation on the subject. Remember, they were repeat winners of Politifact's Lie of the Year Award for "Death Panels" and "Government Takeover of Health Care." This year's early entrant seems to be "largest tax increase in American history", even though it's actually the largest middle class tax CUT in history. But would anyone expect anything different from a party that considers having 30 million uninsured people in this country "not an issue".

From the start, it's been obvious that the more people know about this law, the more they support it. The Right Wing has run out of lies, and the message is finally getting through. I almost think we should send John Roberts a thank you note. Well, maybe not, but that's for another thread.

Article excerpt follows:

By: Jason Easley
July 2, 2012

According to a new CNN poll, Americans are still divided on ObamaCare. Fifty percent of those surveyed agreeing with the Supreme Court's decision to uphold the law, while 49% disagreed. This represents a two point increase from a Reuters/Ipsos poll released yesterday that found that 48% support the Affordable Care Act. Support for the ACA has increased from 34% in the fall of 2011 to 43% before the Supreme Court decision to 50% supporting the court's decision today.

Republicans quickly tried to turn their Supreme Court defeat into political ammunition by reviving many of the same attacks they used against the ACA in 2009 and 2010. GOP congressional leaders like Mitch McConnell and John Boehner revived their government takeover of healthcare talking points and called for immediate repeal of the law, but a funny thing is happening on the way back in time to 2010.

Support for the law, and the decision that ruled the law constitutional, is growing. Instead of emptily repeating the Republican cries for repeal, the media has been asking the GOP exactly what they intend to replace ObamaCare with.

When pressured by Chris Wallace of Fox News Sunday on what he was going to do about the uninsured if he repealed the ACA, Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell got flustered and stated that the uninsured in America aren't an issue. As bad as McConnell's performance was, he was outdone by Speaker of the House John Boehner. Speaker Boehner was left clinging to his general talking points about common sense reform as CBS's Norah O'Donnell continued to pressure him to specifically state what parts of the ACA he would keep, and which parts he would repeal.

Boehner was so broken by the whole experience that a few times during the interview he actually raised his voice and yelled his answers at O'Donnell. Evidence of the GOP backtracking on the ACA can be found in the fact that when pressed Boehner and McConnell both admitted that there are good points in the law that should not be repealed.

The Republican answer to the ACA is repeal and replace, but things quickly fall apart when they asked the question, replace with what? The fact that the ACA has gone from being widely unpopular to a virtual 50/50 split in the days since the Supreme Court decision is a major problem for the GOP, and odds are that the law is going to continue to grow in popularity as insured Americans begin to receive their share of the $1.1 billion in insurance premium rebates.

Time and political momentum are working against those who are advocating for repeal. There was panic in Boehner and McConnell's interviews, and that panic will only grow if the public continues to get comfortable with "ObamaCare."

Read More: http://www.politicususa.com/republicans-start-pani...

• luvguins 2012/07/02 23:59:53
    luvguins
    +11
    Weeper Boehner, and plastic face McConnell really looked pathetic on those shows on Sunday. I remember after the first repeal vote in the House last year Boehner was asked what their plan was, and his reply was. "We're going to have a meeting about that"...LOL.
    They have no intention if in power to spend anytime replacing the ACA if they can make it all go away. Meanwhile independents approval of the ACA has jumped 11% since the decision. Plus the president is still leading Romney in all the swing states. Seems folks aren't beleiving the same old tired rhetoric from 2 years ago nor Rush Limbaugh who wailed to his ditto heads that it was "the largest tax increase in the world".

• RicardoCabeza 2012/07/03 02:18:48
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    When the average poor person (earning $24,000.00 a year) discovers that they will be spending $600.00 per month after taxes the pendulum will swing the other way, Remember non of us really know what is in the bill quite yet... I really wonder how Congress could vote in favour of something they never examined.
  • my2cents Ricardo... 2012/07/03 05:17:48
    my2cents
    +5
    That's total BS. A person making $24,000/year will pay $600/month for health insurance?

You guys just pull this stuff out of your asses, don't you?
  • Ricardo... my2cents 2012/07/03 07:29:19 (edited)
  • my2cents Ricardo... 2012/07/03 07:47:15
    my2cents
    +4
    "You guys" are you and all the other people here on SodaHead who don't have a clue about how Obamacare works.

The figure you cited for a person making $24,000/year is impossible. Someone on that salary could never afford $600/month. That's $7,500/year out of $24,000. If a figure sounds too extreme to be real, it usually isn't real. Think before you buy into something.

The poor will get waivers from the fed to help them buy insurance.

The only people who will have to pay the penalty "tax" will be people who can afford to purchase insurance but refuse to, about 1% of the total population. That's the same percentage of people who refused to buy insurance in Massachusetts when Romney enacted Romneycare.

We will pay no penalty "tax", we already have employer sponsored health insurance. If you already have insurance coverage, you won't pay any "tax" either.
  • Ricardo... my2cents 2012/07/03 07:59:22 (edited)
    RicardoCabeza
    Yes, that sounds nice but the cut off for the waiver is somewhere around $15,000.00 "rich" people who make $24,000.00 per year will pay about $7,200.00 per year per person, unless they "choose" to pay the penalty tax... which will initially be $95.00 if I heard it correctly. What is worse is that if you consider the paradigm of the small businessman it would make more sense to not provide health benefits for our employees because it is substantially less expensive to just pay the fines.
  • my2cents Ricardo... 2012/07/06 06:39:49
    my2cents
    I believe your information is wrong, as I already stated. $7,200/per person per year out of $24,000 is impossible, that accounts for nearly 1/3 of their yearly income. For a family of three, it would be almost ALL their income. The numbers don't wash, you'd better recheck the right wing blog site that posted this nonsense.

Sure, small businesses could opt not to offer insurance to their employees and just pay the fines. But you get the work force you pay for. The best employees will go to businesses that do provide this benefit. Businesses that go cheap will be scraping the bottom of the barrel in no time.
  • Ricardo... my2cents 2012/07/06 09:21:42 (edited)
    RicardoCabeza
    As I stated it was not a right wing web site instead it was a corporate financial planner I use for my employees benefits. I hope he is mistaken, but He also recommended I drop my employees healthcare benefits because it will save me $75,000.00 over the next 2 years which will likely become a new corporate trend as this is a job market where people with bachelor's degrees are lining up to work Taco Bell jobs and based upon leading indicaters I am certain the trend will continue well into the next business cycle, whenever that is in the gloomy future.
  • my2cents Ricardo... 2012/07/06 16:08:31
    my2cents
    He is mistaken, if what you're claiming is true. You need a new 'financial planner." This guy sounds like a hack.
  • Ricardo... my2cents 2012/07/06 23:38:36
    RicardoCabeza
    No, He is usually pretty good at it and is actually an honest Man, the big question is if have you actually read the ACA plan?... What gets me is that while I am not going to cut my employees off it would make sense for a $35,000.00 per year difference in a small company with 6 people and an even more sense for a larger corporation to do so and just pay the $600.00 fine per year to the IRS as opposed to the $4,300.00 annual benefit co pay. When you consider that the act really does not take effect for 2 years it makes you wonder what else is in the bill that has not been addressed.
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/06 12:19:44
    carolynb
    +1
    If you pay more than 7.5% out of pocket for your health right now, you get a tax break, so how can it possibly go up to 30% of your income before you get a subsidy? I pay around $300 a month for healthcare and get a tax break every year. I think you are misinformed.
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/06 23:43:00 (edited)
    RicardoCabeza
    I do not know about the personal taxation ratios as I do not worry about a few thousand here and a few thousand there. I know for my own situation that if I decide to take advantage of the ACA and use the prevailing idea and stop paying for my employees health and benefit packages I could save enough money per year to cover the rent on the office space. Do you know what was in the ACA?, there are some good ideas and bad ideas all mixed together, but I will discover what is going to happen either way.
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/07 14:03:08
    carolynb
    Honestly I dont know everything in the bill, but I watch every program I can to learn. I tried to wade thru the bill, and it is too complicated for me. I just know that once it is fully implemented, it will be better for everyone. I would prefer single payer, but we will never get it as long as our congress people are paid not to vote for it.
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/08 22:39:00
    RicardoCabeza
    The programs on television have not disclosed anything of merit regarding the bill save for the few positive features, and the News outlets have seemingly created an opaque interpretation of their own making, that is not discussed but instead create a scenario in which our attentio n is quickly taken from the subject of the Bill to emphasize upon the adversaries of the proposal... kind of a rabbit out of the hat trick to distract you... But you are incorrect... we will not be in a better situation after the implementation of this new "TAX" and in the true effect it is diverting several thousand dollars per year per person from the souring domestic economy to the coffers of the insurance industry with a compulsory effect... This is the big mistake...
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/09 10:56:09
    carolynb
    There will be no tax if everyone gets healthcare. If people continue to be stubborn, they will pay a tax of around $1140 a year and get nothing for it. At least now, the low income people can get a subsidy to help them. I have always had healthcare for me and my children and cant conceive of not having it.
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/09 18:07:19 (edited)
    RicardoCabeza
    The actual cost is as of yet unknown, and it is certain that health insurance cannot be provided for $1,140.00 per year when the average visit to the doctor's office is around $200.00. The way I currently understand it is that poor people ($30,000 and under) will end up giving the money they would have spent on Hot Dogs and Mac and Cheese to the health insurance industry and none of us will be happy save for the greedy.
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/09 20:12:00
    carolynb
    +1
    Hot dogs and cheese is what sends them to the doctor. lol I spend around $3600 a year for insurance and prescription drugs and I get a tax credit for anything over 7.5% so that isnt going to change for me. I worry about my son who doesnt have insurance, and he is getting older now and will get sick as does everyone, so I am glad we will be forced to. My other kids are ok because of being in the military and working for a contract overseas. I
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/11 21:03:00
    RicardoCabeza
    :), Real cheese is good for you... I thought the best idea would have been to use the National Guard Medical teams to set up tent clinics for the poor to reach extended populations and hand out the occasional antibiotics and screen for other maladies, and fix the loopholes that the insurance companies use to get rid of clients who pose a profit risk, but we will see what happens.
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/12 12:58:40
    carolynb
    +1
    Government healthcare?? Wow, so you admit it is good healthcare? If we are going that route, lets go single payer. I would gladly pay the govt $300 a month for total care to include prescriptions. Private insurance companies are scam artists. I had 2 insurances back when I was working and I my bp went thru the roof and since I worked at the military hospital, I went to the ER there. They did a ct scan, and monitored me for about 3 hrs until my bp went down. They collected from my insurances, and do you know I got a check from one of the insurances compaines for $1000 because they didnt have to pay anything for my care. The other insurance picked up the whole tab and probably got by cheaper too. We need insurance companies out of our healthcare. Medicare for all.
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/12 21:56:32
    RicardoCabeza
    No, it is not good healthcare, nor for the matter is the health care afforded me through my benefits plan, the system is a monopoly of ideas and procedure and contrary to most people's belief does not provide curative treatment options for the most part... My idea was that most health problems are solved either through time, diet or on rare occasion antibiotics, these are simple issues which could be diagnosed by people through who are paid less than $100.00 an hour as opposed to the stupid hyper inflated system that we must now pay for compulsory effect... My argument is that the entire US health care system is non functioning and that Obamacare while addresses some issues of the insurance oligarchs will do nothing but allow this train wreck system continue until they start handing out poisons to generate more patients and thus more profits...
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/12 22:04:24
    carolynb
    +1
    If you really believe that they are going to kill us all off slowly, then maybe you need a psych doc. Why do you think old people are living so long? It is because they could go to the doctor and get treated since medicare was implemented. You still see a civilian physician and most are good kind doctors who will do everything they can to heal you. I liked govt healthcare also. The only thing I didnt like was that it was hard to get in for same day appts, but once you were in the system, you can book appts within 2 weeks, and I know that because my ex was in the military and my son-in-law is in the army now. He was severely injured 2 years ago and is still receiving treatment. His care is excellent. People do run to the doctor for every little thing if they have insurance, you are right about that. I go only when I need to and no more.
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/12 22:29:20
    RicardoCabeza
    Have you read the toxicology reports about the new psych meds?, besides some of my best friends were Psychiatrists and they would talk to me about their neurotic impulses... The analogy that I always found useful in assessing a Physicians' demeanour was the comparison to that of the used car salesman, smiles, and the assumption that there were no other answers than those which were contained within reach of the alcohol damaged dendrites between their ears... But I always thought highly of trauma surgeons, and if you have ever watched what wonders a little bit of vaso dialaters, anti histamines, and a few grains plain old fashioned morphine sulphate can do to the near dead it really can make you you believe in Cornelius Agrippa... As for your Son in Law it is too bad, and I also have high regard for most of the Orthopaedic and Physical Therapists I have met. I was shot through the knee, and once was shot point blank in the sternum (probably by an A.M.A. Man) when I was in the Army as well, and treated by a Horse Doctor who told me to eat as much citrus fruit and bone marrow as I could stand. I think it worked.
  • carolynb Ricardo... 2012/07/13 10:58:34
    carolynb
    +1
    I dont know how old you are, but the military doctors have come along way, and frankly, healthy foods have alot to do with recovery and healing. I also agree with you about meds. My brother is in bad shape. He has been on meds for years because of bp and aneurysms, and now his kidneys are failing and one of the drugs, lisinipril probably aided in the failure. He is being treated at one of the best hospitals in the country too. Mayo clinic. It is scary that the meds they give you to keep you alive end up killing you. Yes, I agree, psych meds are very scary, but what can one do when you can be as crazy as a bedbug. The meds can save your life and keep you fairly normal.
  • Ricardo... carolynb 2012/07/14 03:16:44
    RicardoCabeza
    92 in 5 weeks and they really have not changed much, the good ones or the bad ones.
  • AL my2cents 2012/07/03 08:54:14
    AL
    +1
    Its $600 a month for the first year only! Each year after that amount goes up as well
  • Sir Bud. AL 2012/07/03 15:46:53
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    Read this one page at least to see what I believe Obama is more or less aiming for.If you dont want to read it,please dont reply,thanks.
    http://berlin.angloinfo.com/c...
  • AL Sir Bud. 2012/07/04 01:41:21
    AL
    LOL! Just how can the Republicans be in a panic to start with? The unemployment rate is getting worse, Food prices are still going up,This health care scam is stopping most employers from hiring as well! So What the hell is the up side for Obozo at this point anyway then?
  • Sir Bud. AL 2012/07/05 12:11:27 (edited)
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    Obama is not only not a"Messiah",but he isn't a Magician either and doesn't have a magic wand.Food prices will continue to increase whether he stays or goes and employees working and being covered with insurance is paramount for the success of any company.But of course,if you don't understand why people shouldn't take part driving on public roads without car accident insurance,you wont understand the situation with Health Insurance.
  • AL Sir Bud. 2012/07/05 21:25:13
    AL
    Obama sure is your god now anyway! Yet you're just to stupid to know it is all
  • Sir Bud. AL 2012/07/05 22:04:38
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    And that's an intelligent answer to my previous post?.Try again by all means,but leave out religion and cussing if you can,thanks.
  • AL Sir Bud. 2012/07/05 22:33:50
    AL
    I didn't bring religion into this issue in the first place, Obama did with his attacks on the Catholic Church
  • Sir Bud. AL 2012/07/06 11:57:16
    Sir Bud.
    +2
    On the day a woman is elected Pope, Obama was wrong.
  • Ricardo... Sir Bud. 2012/07/06 09:29:19
    RicardoCabeza
    No, my own advisor recently showed me how I could save $35,000.00 per year by cutting off my employees healthcare benefits and just paying a fine to the aIRS... Since I only have 6 employees I assume that this will entice many to do just that.
  • Sir Bud. Ricardo... 2012/07/06 12:07:04
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    Saving at the expense of the health and safety of your workers wont be saving in the long term.I gave previously a link showing how easy and fair it is to"promote the general welfare"of all for all without anybody being"punished".Health insurance is deducted from the employees wage according to the Brutto amount of an employees wage by the employer-who accordingly contributes his share and is then sent to the employees Health Insurance company.
  • Ricardo... Sir Bud. 2012/07/06 23:49:04 (edited)
    RicardoCabeza
    The worst thing that could happen to my employees is they may poke themselves in the eye with a phone... there are no risks in my office and as for the current health plan, while it is one of the better programs available one of my Salesmen got into a car accident a while back and they covered only part of the costs to him, but then cancelled his insurance so it is just an expensive scam anyway. and as far as that Brutto goes it is pure BUNK, everyone knows that these "concepts" are just "feel good" efforts by the engineers of consent to sway soft headed mid management and the public at large...
  • Sir Bud. Ricardo... 2012/07/07 13:04:03 (edited)
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    ....poke themselves in the eye with a phone..or fall off their chair,or get Salmonella from their Tuna Fish sandwiches-right.What a load of BS-and you say you are an employer!.But of course you may have the most safest work environment ever in the world which is so sterile human nature has no chance.One last question-do you have any health Insurance?.Just wondering as obviously you don't need and don't have car accident insurance being the perfect driver you are and if others hit you,then tough sh*t for them-altho someone will have to pay.
    No Health Insurance
  • Ricardo... Sir Bud. 2012/07/08 22:52:49
    RicardoCabeza
    Of course, I am actually a facilitator of a way to help people with broken dreams make it to the next attempt. While I do not pay an hourly wage many of my people make a meagre living in the process of making a meagre living for me... Human Nature is never given a chance through the compulsory effect of having to meet the necessity of shelter and subsistence, and so my employees work for me instead of pursuing the greatness of their dreams because the market does not recognize them for who they are, and while their is a risk in the occupation of sales due to burn out and sometimes a great need for psychiatric help or drug and alcohol counselling they are much better off in my boiler room than in the hamster cages provided by the fortune 500 firms, But as opposed to taking the bait and digressing into your attempted distraction, it is my personal belief that insurance is a scam... and you are silly...
  • my2cents Ricardo... 2012/07/06 16:11:50
    my2cents
    +2
    Those employees will be able to get their own policies at an affordable rate on the private market now. So perhaps this is a win/win for everyone!
  • Ricardo... my2cents 2012/07/06 23:52:57
    RicardoCabeza
    I think it is going to create more problems than it solves, and health insurance is not affordable for anybody but people like you and I, the unemployed, and the underemployed (people who make less than $45,000.00 per year) will face great challenges and will probably end up paying fines. Have you read the ACA?
  • my2cents AL 2012/07/06 06:42:32
    my2cents
    +2
    Did you read the same right wing blog site as Ricardo?

That is obviously an exaggerated number. Try again.
  • AL my2cents 2012/07/06 07:29:08
    AL
    Ricardo who? I don't even know what the hell you're talking about" No sense at all"

2014/08/27 11:06:51