Republicans reject 'Buffett rule' in the Senate

ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/04/17 00:06:52

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-republi...

• Willl 2012/04/17 01:08:08
    The rich can't afford to pay more, they are taxed enough.
    Willl
    +13
    I guess Republican voted against legal crony capitalism or corruption, which is rampant in socialism.
    How much Buffett owns the IRS?
    How many millionaires want to be taxed more? 30? 50? Out of that number, how many made millions on the government contracts?
    Get a grip people. How come some millionaires are better than others?
    Soros – a good guy. Romney – a bad guy. Both guys make their money the same way. Investing.
    Soros gives 10% for political causes. Romney gives 10% to charity.

• Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/04/24 00:15:55 (edited)
    I'm not surprised. They don't care about America.
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    I chose this answer only because the truth is that the ultra wealthy (for the most part) don't give a rat's ass about America. They are globalists who want to see America fail. With that said...

This idea that taxing the wealthy at higher rates is going to solve anything is assinine! Our national budget deficit is about 1.5 TRILLION dollars!!! Taking every penny the top 1% earn in a year isn't going to make a dent in that number. So thinking that taxing them more is going to solve anything is extremely short sighted. For most Americans, if it wasn't for these people, they would have no job. We're already losing jobs to foreign outsourcing, and imposing higher taxes on the people who create those jobs is going to drive them away even faster.

So yes, the ultra wealthy don't care about America, but that's not why they voted against this. And focusing on this as if it is in any way important is nothing more than a distraction intended to divide the classes even further, and to keep the middle class focused on a non-issue.
  • ready46xwu 2012/04/19 10:05:06
    ready46xwu
    +1
    Looks like we need a "MILLION MAN MARCH", on Washington~
    UNARMED THE 1ST TIME!
    WE ARE ALL OVER TAXED~
    IT'S WHAT THE "DUMB-A$$ES" DO WITH OUR $MONEY$
    THAT PI$$ES ME OFF!
  • Stix 2012/04/18 16:20:14 (edited)
    Stix
    The money this tax increase would create is nothing more then a rounding error in the big picture...5.7376 trillion call it 5.7 trillion for brevity sake....rounding error. It was NOT a serious proposal by our President to reduce our debt...it was a calculated political wedge to be used against one group of people to anger another group. Our President is a real thug when it comes to running our country. He dosn't do things that are good for us, rather things that are good for him at our expence.
  • BonnieDeutsch 2012/04/18 14:52:55
    BonnieDeutsch
    Aside from Federal taxes, most of American States also have State taxes as well. That is for all the Americans who pay taxes.
    Now my question to you is: Why is Obama fighting showing a photo ID when we go to vote? We have to show it when we go to the library, hospital, etc., Why ?
  • Stix BonnieD... 2012/04/18 16:04:34
    Stix
    Simple...liberals cheat when it comes to voting....they also lie and will steal from you if you arn't watching.
  • JoLost 2012/04/18 05:39:11
    JoLost
    +1
    Cant say "I did not see this coming.... "
  • Radical 1s1am1st 2012/04/18 04:58:51
    Radical 1s1am1st
    +2
    Those poor underprivileged Job Creators, Obama wants them to pay the same tax rate that I pay, what a jerk.
    Mitt romney at bain capital
  • Keeping It Real 2012/04/17 23:15:56
    Keeping It Real
    +2
    The Republiconteabaggers were and still is trying to crash the economy and more people need to start calling them out on it.
  • Stix Keeping... 2012/04/18 16:05:48
    Stix
    You're an idiot and a hater.
  • Keeping... Stix 2012/04/18 16:59:55 (edited)
    Keeping It Real
    Don't be so hard on yourself and I want to compliment you for picking such an appropriate blog name. Stix as in Stix your head up you a$$ or Stix your head in the sand like an Ostrich, Stix to your anti-people, anti-government, pro-hate rhetoric reveals the home training and moral values you have. get a life in glitter
    get a life a clue in glitter back on off right wing nuts in glitter
  • Cleaver62 2012/04/17 19:03:33
    Cleaver62
    +1
    The Republicans are planning a counter proposal to the Buggett rule. They want to cut taxes on millionaires and biilonaires. It is almost the same thing only opposite. It should further bankrupt the nation instead of adding billions to the tax base.
  • JoLost Cleaver62 2012/04/18 05:48:25 (edited)
    JoLost
    +1
    All the while claiming it is those capital gains reinvested that make the economy stronger ..... Look outside. is it raining jobs yet? 30 years of tax cuts to capital gains and look at the "jobs market" today... Y

Lieberman:

I am not opposed to the Buffett rule because I am opposed to raising income taxes on the wealthiest Americans. I am opposed to the Buffett rule because it would double to 30 percent the capital gains tax on one group of investors and therefore reduce exactly the kind of capital investments we need to get our economy growing again and create jobs.

To protect America from being drowned in public debt we will eventually have to raise revenues,hopefully through broad tax reform, and, of course, we will also have to cut expenditures, particularly the rate of increased spending on so-called entitlement programs. But that is different from the question of how to tax gains on capital investments. I have long believed in the value of having a lower tax on capital gains than on regular income because capital investments are

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin...
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/18 16:06:35
    Stix
    Ya got that one wrong...they want to cut taxes on everyone.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/18 20:13:39
    Cleaver62
    I don't care who they want to cut taxes on, cutting taxes is a bad idea. The country is bankrupt. Our roads and bridges are crumbling, we have no 21st centure infastructure in place like parts of Europe already do. Our schools are falling farther behind and programs are being cut. Police and fire protection is not sufficient. Medicaide is hurting. Social Security is hurting. Health Care is in shambles as insurance and medical costs skyrocket. But you want to cut taxes so you can afford a new TV or computer or maybe a new car... We need to start taking care of our country or we are going to fall even further behind the rest of the world.
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/18 21:29:05
    Stix
    Cutting taxes does not change the economy for the worse...there is still the same amount of money in the system it just changes who gets to spend it. I believe you would make a better decission to spend your money then someone in government who did not earn that money or care about it the way you would. We don't need to raise taxes on people...we need to have more people working paying taxes to the government and we need to have a much smaller government spending far less money they they do today. Government spending has grown 25% under Obama...we were spending about 20% of GDP under Bush (too high) but we are now at 25% of GDP under Obama (25% increase and way, way too high). The federal government needs to do less things for more people...federal government has no business in healthcare, schools, farming, housing etc. these should be local state issues where the people who make the decissions are closer to the problems and again, can make the right choice for the particular problem that state faces.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/18 22:31:02
    Cleaver62
    I don't agree with you at all. Why should health care be a state issue? Why should the Federal government be able to require everyone to have insurance. If you don't have insurance already you must not be able to afford it. And if you can't afford it that means if something happens to you like a car accident or cancer, the American people are going to end up paying your medical bills when the hospital writes it off as a loss. Health care needs are the same everywhere. Health care should be a right not a privillage.
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/18 22:45:49
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/19 22:29:57
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/19 22:37:46 (edited)
    Stix
    There is no US in a republic democracy...it is all about the individual. I own my own business and buy my own health insurance...if you want health insurance you should step up and buy it. Tell me why I should pay for your health insurance or food or housing or anything you need? Why? What gives you the right to take my money to buy the things you want for yourself? Please explain this to me. And just a point of interest...when you revert to name calling and cursing...that usually means you are losing the debate.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/21 00:43:41
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/21 04:23:03 (edited)
    Stix
    The problem with your lodgic is that MY health insurance costs have begun to skyrocket because of ObamaCare. It was much cheaper for me BEFORE this wonderful social program you want me to pay for. The problem as I see it is that too many people in this country are getting off without paying their fair share and I am not talking about the rich. I am talking about the 43% of Americans who pay NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX but get all the bennifits from those who do pay it. Free ride and free lunch needs to stop before that number reaches the point of no return. I think everyone should pay at least 10% no matter how little you make. Everyone of us need to have some skin in the game and end the freeloaders...if we had the bottom 43% paying 10% we would take in about 6 times more money then Obie's plan to tax the rich....and that would be fair.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/21 10:52:17
    Cleaver62
    To be honest, yours and my health insurance costs have been skyrocketing long before Obama took office. In the past 5 years, costs have jumped 7 or 8% each year. Health Insurance companies skim 20 - 40% off the top paying their CEOs in some cases more than a billion dollars. That is my money that I paid for my medical coverage not for a CEO to become wealthy. An insurance company does nothing except take your money, keep some, and give a little to your doctor. The way they make money is to keep as much of your money as they can by denying coverage or denying tests or procedures they your doctor deems mecessary. These people are not doctors, how do they know what I need. Health Insurance was a benifit that was given to workers to entice them to work at a particular job. Now it has become necessary for people to afford medical care in the first place. Most plans are no longer paid by the employer and the employee is responsible for pay part. There are now deductibles added too. If you get sick with lung cancer and have a 350,000 dollar surgery with a 20% co pay, you are on the hook for 70,000 dollars. How are you going to pay that?

So you listened to Righ wing media yesterday and heard "skin in the game". (yet another great right wing talking point) The problem is the right is...

So you listened to Righ wing media yesterday and heard "skin in the game". (yet another great right wing talking point) The problem is the right is lying to you. Every working man, woman, and child has skin in the game. If you work you pay taxes. What do you think the payroll tax is. It is a Federal income tax. They also pay Social Security tax, unemployment tax, and Medicare tax. To get to work every day we pay a federal tax on every gallon of gas and we pay federal, state, and local taxes on everything we purchace. In fact, as a percentage of earnings, the working class and the poor pay taxes on 100% of every penny we make since we spend just about everything we make just to survive. The wealthy don't spend nearly what they make so if they are taxed on dividens at 15% and made 100,000,000 dollars they only pay 15%. They don't spend a large percentage of what they make so they are not taxed at all on that money.

Even if you collect social security or unemployment you must pay federal income tax on that money.

And to be fair. Poor people are poor and don't have enough money to live on as it is. Why do you think crime and drugs are so popular in poor neighbor hoods. A rich person paying 3.5% more after their first million is money that will not effect their quality of life at all.
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/21 16:19:36 (edited)
    Stix
    Payroll taxes ARE social security and medicare...these are direct benifits to the individual and have nothing to do with running the cost of the federal government. The bottom 42% of our population are riding on the backs of those who pay the taxes and have no skin in the game and democrats want to expand this base to get more votes...putting people in poverty to get their vote is a horrible way to treat your constituancy...the democratic way. Why do you hate successful people so much? Why do you want to stiffel their productivity and lower their desire to succeed with regressive taxation? Evereybody should pay something...not just the most successful people in our society.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/21 16:35:44
    Cleaver62
    US Federal Income tax is taken out of every paycheck issued. FICA SSI and FICA Medicare are separate. Everyone already has skin in the game. You can claim they don't have to write a check at tax time because most have overpaid durring the year. But you can't say they don't pay taxes. That is a lie.
    With all the deductions added up on my check and I am including Long term disability, state, federal, city, ssi, medicare, I end up paying out around 300 dollars a week. So don't tell me or anyone else that they don't have skin in the game because we do.
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/21 18:40:22
    Stix
    Please pull your head out and pay attention...I said from the very beginning that 43% of the people do not pay FERERAL INCOME TAXES and that is a fact. You can yammar on about FICA and SSI all you want but those are not FEDERAL INCOME TAX. All the taxes you are referring to are for YOUR PERSONAL RETIREMENT OR MEDICAL INSURANCE OR DISABILITY INSURANCE but have nothing to do with your fair share of running the country and unless you also pay income taxes you do not have skin in the game and are a freeloader off of those who do...
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/22 10:27:19
    Cleaver62
    You are absolutely wrong. There is a federal tax called the US Federal Income Tax that is taken out of every single working persons paycheck. Why do you think people get refunds when they file taxes? Do you think the government pays them money for no reason? SSI and Medicare are two separate taxes that are also paid. Republicans have been spouting out this statistic for years that so many people don't pay taxes but it is a lie.

http://www.bankrate.com/calcu...

Check the link and it will tell you how to determine what your Federal tax will be and how they are calculated. As you can plainly see, SSI and Medicare are separate taxes. You can call them what you want but they are still federal taxes that are withdrawn from you check. They are supposed to go into the SSI fund but since Reagan started the practice, they are used for the general fund which is why the money that is supposed to be in the SSI fund isn't there right now.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/21 00:49:03
    Cleaver62
    And most of all, this country wasn't founded on the selfishness of the Republican party. It was founded by people working together for a common cause. Cities wern't built by individuals but by communities. Communities took care of one another. Businesses used to do what was good for the community not for the individual owner or share holders. This culture of Greed that Ronald Reagan introduced the US to is slowly rotting us away.
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/21 18:50:33
    Stix
    What is rotting us away is your sence of entitlement and your socialist view of our country. It was not made great by the collective effort but rather the idividual effort...Henry Ford had a vision and he hired people to help him achieve his vision...but that is not a community effort...it is one person doing what it takes to fullfill his dream. I own several companies myself. One of them I bought just shy of going into bankrupcy and have turned it around to net over a million dollars a year just 6 years later. Was that a collective effort? No, I did it...the previous owner was failing and I turned it around. Yes, I have over 50 employees in that company but it was going broke. The state didn't save it, the community didn't save it, the employees didn't save it....well, in a sence they did but it took my leadership to get it done.
  • Cleaver62 Stix 2012/04/22 10:32:15
    Cleaver62
    Good, I am glad for you. You can contunue to live in your selfish world, and I hope you are happy with everything that is crumbling around you. It is often said that we are only as strong as our weakest link. You can be the strongest link or the richest man in the world... but when the chain breaks and the economy crashes because you didn't help the community or the people around you... you will have the same as everyone else... nothing.
  • Stix Cleaver62 2012/04/22 17:17:12
    Stix
    You have no idea what I do with my money...you are so full of hate for people who are more successful then you. Sream on little man and you will continue to get out of life what you put in...nothing.
  • gaylehelen 2012/04/17 19:01:41
    gaylehelen
    +1
    Is anyone at all surprised by this? Really?
    I don't agree with they don't care about America - that is how they make money. Should have left it at "I'm not surprised" and left out the "They don't care about America."
  • Joe Six pack 2012/04/17 17:25:41 (edited)
  • Stix Joe Six... 2012/04/18 16:10:23
    Stix
    You are a communist...go earn your own wealth and leave mine alone.
  • voice_matters 2012/04/17 16:49:48
    voice_matters
    the libs everyday calim that raising taxes and spending will save aemrica. tell me why is it that america still needs saving. obama and the libs increased both for the 2 years they had complete control of america.
  • D Hanes 2012/04/17 16:39:39 (edited)
    D Hanes
    +1
    You did not provide proper answers. Of course congress rejected it.. EXACTLY AS OBAMA WANTED. this is just a political game for him.. he knew they would!
    +1
    It wouldn't accomplish I damn thing
  • bob 2012/04/17 16:11:15
    bob
    +2
    The Republican party only for the wealthy and redneck fools
  • jdemme 2012/04/17 16:00:20
    jdemme
    +2
    The GOP had two years with the "Adults" in charge, and they did nothing but cock block the president. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
  • Leonidas 2012/04/17 15:52:13
    Leonidas
    +1
    The rich pay their taxes out of their SURPLUS. At this recovery they need to do that or they may find that they personel expenses may skyrocket.
  • voice_m... Leonidas 2012/04/17 16:50:39
    voice_matters
    they pay the taxes they are required to by law. tell me how does increased taxes solve anything

2014/08/02 02:34:01