Republicans prepare contempt citation against Eric Holder over Fast and Furious - about time?

Quietman ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/27 18:38:00

(CBS News) -- House Republicans investigating the Fast and Furious scandal
have gotten the go-ahead by their party leaders to pursue a contempt citation
against Attorney General Eric Holder, senior congressional aides told CBS News.
The resolution will accuse Holder and his Justice Department of obstructing the
congressional probe into the allegations that the government let thousands of
weapons fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels.

The citation would attempt to force Holder to turn over tens of thousands of
pages documents related to the probe, which has entered its second year.

For months, congressional Republicans probing ATF's Fast and Furious
"Gunwalker" scandal - led by California Republican Darrell Issa, have been
investigating a contempt citation. They've worked quietly behind the scenes to
build support among fellow Republicans, since it could ultimately face a full
House vote. CBS News has confirmed that House Speaker John Boehner, an Ohio
Republican, has given Rep. Issa, who heads the House Oversight and Government
Reform Committee, the go-ahead to proceed. A 48-page long draft contempt
resolution is being prepared.

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57423017-50...

• Alleycat 2012/04/27 19:56:49 (edited)
    Alleycat
    +9
    This man has allowed the Justice Department to become a political arm of the Obama administration enforcing only the laws he see fit to enforce while abrogating the laws he deems unfit without the consent of congress who legally set those laws in motion. He has defiled his Constitutional duties that he himself is sworn to uphold and impeachment seems to be the only solution to this disgusting problem.

• Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/04/28 19:21:18
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +2
    LMAO! Rep. Cummings asked for women to be allowed their testimony (the answer was no), and Reps. Holmes and Maloney walked out. That's hardly a sign of bipartisan agreement.
  • Dan™: R... Ali ~ I... 2012/04/30 21:02:56
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    That's really not the way it went down. Dems were allowed to submit their list of people to testify, and there was a deadline. They submitted their list with no women on it. Then at the last minute -- after the deadline -- they flipped around and demanded to have Flukey added. Too late.
  • Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/04/30 21:12:49
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    And where were the women on the GOP side of things?
  • Dan™: R... Ali ~ I... 2012/04/30 23:40:20
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    And where were the women on the Dem side of things originally?
  • Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 02:58:17
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    I'd like your source for your assertions. I couldn't find anything online to substantiate it.
  • Dan™: R... Ali ~ I... 2012/05/01 04:29:44
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    Oh come on, that's easily verifiable. You don't need me to research it for you.
  • Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 15:37:34
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    Looked. All the articles were about the Dems walking out and the Sandra Fluke issue.

Never mind - I've moved on.
  • Dan™: R... Ali ~ I... 2012/05/01 20:00:14
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    You need to improve your Google skills:

“If you’d asked for two fully qualified individuals, or three or four, and particularly if you did it on Monday, you could of had your witnesses," Issa said to Democrats. “This was not asked for in a timely fashion…. It makes it very difficult.”

http://www.nationaljournal.co...
  • Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/05/02 01:24:54
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Thanks - apparently I do. Or at the least, to check out the more conservative online sources.

Well, to me the key points are: Issa himself had no women, and he rebuked the Democrats regarding qualifications of the woman they requested to be on the panel.

Timeliness enters as a third, not first.
  • Dan™: R... Ali ~ I... 2012/05/02 01:38:29
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Fair enough, but National Journal isn't exactly a conservative online source. I admit that the Republicans didn't have any women slated to testify, but I would point out that neither did the Democrats originally. Sandra Fluke was a last minute submission, and Issa was correct to point out that she, as merely a college student with no professional expertise in either health care or 1st Amendment law, was hardly an expert witness by conventional definition. The Republicans, who -- like it or not -- currently have the right as the Majority party in the House to convene committee hearings and set the parameters of those committees, viewed the hearing's subject matter as a hearing on 1st Amendment issues rather than as a debate about women's health issues. There are rules regarding timely submission of witnesses that are expected to be followed in these types of hearings no matter which party is currently running the show.
  • Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/05/02 02:17:03
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Conservative in the old and honorable sense - I wasn't using it as a pejorative.

All that you say is true, although I did like Sandra Fluke and found her testimony worthy. However, Dan, the perception (and IMO, the fact) that the GOP is spiritedly attempting to curtail women's reproductive rights was only exacerbated by Issa and his Guy Gang.

I don't think the GOP will, in the long run, be well served by repeatedly stirring up the so-called culture wars. While I'm a liberal - VERY liberal - I also like having a robust discussion along the liberal-conservative continuum; sadly, that's not happening and won't as long as guns, God, gays and women's reproductive rights are agenda items.

Just my view.
  • Dan™: R... Ali ~ I... 2012/05/02 12:42:07 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Maybe it was short-sighted or a political miscalculation on their part, but I don't think the Repubs saw this as a "women's health" issue at all. I think they saw it only as a 1st Amendment freedom of religion issue. In fact, I think they were blindsided by the Dems attempt to transform it into a women's health issue. And I must say, I still don't see it as an issue about reproductive rights. This isn't about abortion; it's about who picks up the tab for condoms and/birth control -- the individual or the state & religious institutions. When I was a teen, I managed to find a way to pay for either condoms or birth control pills for my girlfriend. I didn't expect anyone else to pay for it. Why is this suddenly an issue? I think it's a bogus manufacured political issue conjured up by the Dems to score political points in an election year.
  • Ali ~ I... Dan™: R... 2012/05/03 01:36:35
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Well, Dan, we'll have to agree to disagree on where the issue actually lies.
  • Annie~P... Dan™: R... 2012/04/30 00:48:13
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    DNC propaganda is the truth, Dan.
  • Keeping... Dan™: R... 2012/04/29 07:21:27
    Keeping It Real
    +2
    You need to lay of the glue and JUST SAY NO IN GLITTER
  • Annie~P... Keeping... 2012/04/30 00:42:20
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    You are projecting again.
  • Keeping... Annie~P... 2012/05/01 19:59:26
  • kaZappoo Dan™: R... 2012/04/28 02:34:29
    kaZappoo
    +3
    I was gonna step in here & help ya out , but I've had debates w/ "keep it real "DUMBASS " and they had me blocked .....just cant handle the truth ....sorry DAN ...
  • Dan™: R... kaZappoo 2012/04/28 04:01:29
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +4
    You're right. Probably not worth the effort to debate useful idiots,
  • kaZappoo Dan™: R... 2012/04/28 04:04:21
    kaZappoo
    +4
    I find humor any more with some of these guys ...

you are & were dead on ...they just dont & never will get it ..
  • Dan™: R... kaZappoo 2012/04/28 04:11:27
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +3
    You're right. They never will get it. They're just completely deranged, I think.
  • kaZappoo Dan™: R... 2012/04/28 04:38:59
    kaZappoo
    +4
    there what this faction needs to be compliant , and obey no matter what there told to do ..

ie jones town massacre ( mass suicide ) or the sheeples will fight the patriots with no other purpose for living ( japaneese ) in W W I I now our soldiers did / do have allegance & military does now as well .. but the people , citizens , have a thought process & reasoning ..
    well most of us can think for ourselves ,
    ,they cant have this ,,obama 's agenda & intent is divide the people classes /races / to implode ..the sheeples will follow blindly ,,they've been indoctrinated ..at 55 yrs old & navy vet ..I've seen the division recently ...especially on this site & others ,,
  • Sinpac kaZappoo 2012/04/28 12:08:58
    Sinpac
    +4
    What does Jim Jones (another religious nutjob) have to do with democrats? If your trying to associate apostolic socialism with why I am a democrat your off base and out of line. I have read and reread these paragraphs in your statement and the only thing that makes since is you are 55 and a navy vet.
  • kaZappoo Sinpac 2012/04/29 02:27:37
    kaZappoo
    +2
    I'm not concerned with the fact you dont understand my meaning ....

simply put the sheeples are indoctrinated followers .. and IMHO you'all would believe everything obama & holder says & tells ya to do ///

I'm not repub either & can see the direction that obama & the dems are attempting to take this country ,,,and all the brain dead "indoctrinated " folks listening to & believeing the hype there being fed ...

some folks will never get the indoctinated manner which the thought process you/ they are being taught ....

and as far as your concerned everything they say is the truth ..so be it.

holder & obama are BOTH guity of conspiracy & treason & holder perjury ..I can only hope & pray justice is served ,,and impeachment follows .......
  • Sinpac kaZappoo 2012/04/29 12:10:18
    Sinpac
    +1
    Well Bud it's like this, I went into this election season with an open mind of course the republicans have been campaigning for the 2012 elections since 2008 so I have a pretty good Idea what there agenda is. I am not going to be apart of the cut, slash and run agenda they are putting out there. Now as far as you not concerned about my comprehension of your statement........That is laughable...why reply then. You throw out Jim Jones and the Japanese military trying some how in your mind to link these act to President Obama supports. Perhaps you need to stay away from the Kool-aid Jim Jones is handing out!
  • kaZappoo Sinpac 2012/04/29 20:37:44
    kaZappoo
    +1
    hey sinpac ....first I'm not repub or dem ...second ,,it doesnt matter to me what you & others think ,,i can make observations as I see em ,,and the fact the many folks can only see what the dems tell them to see & believe ,are no better that being led around by their noses (as in following a cult and doing as told "blindly) ie jones town "
    I know that the agenda is of the dems "aka " liberals ...

the defence of the repubs "again " i'm independent ..but conservative ,,as in the conservation of the rules of the const ,
    and have extreme allegance to this country & against a progressive abolishment of the const ..as is needed for a socialistic intent of the factions as present ...!

again I could care less what you or any one else that opposes my beliefs says ...
  • Sinpac kaZappoo 2012/04/29 20:43:06 (edited)
    Sinpac
    No ones lead me by the nose closet republican and at this point I don't know why you keep replying. If it doesn't matter what I say stop replying. Republican only have one allegiance and that is to there billfold so get off the soapbox you need a break!
  • kaZappoo Sinpac 2012/04/29 20:54:10
    kaZappoo
    +1

you engaged the debate ,,I cannot help if you have nothing to back your 's up with ,,I have plenty .....
  • Sinpac kaZappoo 2012/04/29 21:11:40
  • kaZappoo Sinpac 2012/04/29 21:20:59
  • Annie~P... Sinpac 2012/04/30 00:56:06
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Problem is you union regressives want everyone else's pocket book. Thats called greed sinpac.
  • Sinpac Annie~P... 2012/04/30 19:18:43
    Sinpac
    Wrong Girl you have not a clue how Union's operate. I have been a Union Member for 25 years. 1st off I am in a private trade union. Miss blanket statement and you have no idea how we operate. If you have some questions about Unions I will be happy to answer them and if not it is probably best to keep your untruth's to yourself.
  • Sissy Sinpac 2012/04/29 11:18:49
    Sissy
    +1
    Psssst sinpac.....do you feel a tad bit of hysteria and frustration here?
  • Sinpac Sissy 2012/04/29 11:55:52
    Sinpac
    +2
    How did you know Sissy?
  • Sissy Sinpac 2012/04/29 11:59:00
    Sissy
    +2
    Ohhh, I don't know, it just seems they're stuck on their vow on the last innauguration day to make this President fail and they've been non-stop ever since. Too bad they spent so much time hating on this guy and didn't look for a more viable candidate, ya think?
  • Sinpac Sissy 2012/04/29 13:58:42
  • Jim kaZappoo 2012/04/28 10:58:45
    Jim
    +1
    Can't expect much from most of those folks with an IQ their shoe size.
  • Sinpac Jim 2012/04/28 12:09:54
    Sinpac
    +3
    Oh how cleaver!
  • Jim Sinpac 2012/04/28 12:39:34
    Jim
    +1
    Must be time for another "beer fest" for acting stupidly while visiting 57 states.
  • Sinpac Jim 2012/04/28 13:00:25
    Sinpac
    +4
    Oh how cleaver! Do you have any more Cleaver guy?

2014/08/22 21:39:20