Republican Rick Scott Cuts Budget For Colleges. Why are Republicans so Stupid?

foxhound BN0 2012/05/25 11:57:17
Republicans are born stupid.
Stupid people vote Republican.
For the first time, University of South Florida students will pay more than half of the cost of their college education next year as tuition rises and the state's contribution continues to decline.

It's a shift that's likely to be mirrored across the state.
"The signals emanating from Tallahassee are very clear," USF provost Ralph Wilcox told members of the university's board of trustees at a meeting Thursday. "There appears to be no interest in meaningful investment in higher education in the state of Florida."
For years, state leaders pushed programs like the Florida Prepaid College Fund and Bright Futures Scholarships that aimed at getting more students into state universities. Now the cost of college is more on the backs of students than ever, with state support dropping at an even faster rate. That includes a $300 million systemwide cut in Florida's 2012-13 state budget that was signed into law this week by Gov. Rick Scott.
"I don't appreciate it," said Susan Edgerley of Westchase, whose daughter Liz just began as a freshman at the University of Florida. "In fact, should they call it a state (university)? At this point, I don't know."
At USF it could mean larger classes, fewer of them, and fewer taught by full-time professors, Wilcox told trustees. It could mean a longer time to graduate and more time spent racking up student debt.
"We're really headed toward a train wreck," said USF trustee Gene Engle.
It's the same story at other universities.

Once again Republicans are proving they are short sighted idiots, hurting our citizens to save a buck. If you want college expenses to go up, killing our kids' futures at the same time, then vote Republican.

• Sissy 2012/05/25 13:22:11
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    Sissy
    +8
    And you're surprised that yet another Republican leader has done this because......?

• WankerBait 2012/08/01 16:03:40
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    WankerBait
    +1
    Rick is just following Texas in the race to the bottom. Texas, being the shining star of conservative principles in state governance and educational outcomes is leading the way...

- The estimated public high school graduation rate in Texas ranks 43rd of the 50 states.
    - Among 4.75 million students in Texas public schools in 2008-09, the most recent year for statistics compiled by the National Center for Education Statistics, 48.8 percent were eligible for free or reduced lunches and 15.1 percent were in limited-English proficiency programs.

Time to cut some budget - Texas 2012 state budget included $4 billion in cuts to public schools and cut financial aid to 43,000 college students...

Excerpts from Texas Republican Party platform on education which is a conservative model for success:

Page 13, under "Educating our Children":
    - Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

- Parental School Choice – We encourage the Governor and the Texas Legis...

- Parental School Choice – We encourage the Governor and the Texas Legislature to enact child-centered school funding options which fund the student, not schools or districts, to allow maximum freedom of choice in public, private, or parochial education for all children.

- Private Education – We believe that parents and legal guardians may choose to educate their children in private schools to include, but not limited to, home schools and parochial schools without government interference, through definition, regulation, accreditation, licensing, or testing.

- Political Community Organizing in Texas Schools - We believe neither Texas public schools should be used nor their students should be instructed by groups such as SEIU or other community organizers as instruments to promote political agenda during the instructional school day.

What about conservative religious organizations?

- Religious Freedom in Public Schools – We urge school administrators and officials to inform Texas school students specifically of their First Amendment rights to pray and engage in religious speech, individually or in groups, on school property without government interference. We urge the Legislature to end censorship of discussion of religion in our founding documents and encourage discussing those documents.

The dumbing-down of the USA continues ...
  • All American 2012/08/01 15:27:40
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    All American
    Actually stupid people vote liberal, but to answer the question, it's a budgetary decision. Cuts have to be made somewhere and this is one of the areas chosen. You should vent your anger at why the Universities keep raising costs. Look at the chart below:

budgetary decision cuts areas vent anger universities raising costs chart

Why are Universities and Colleges costs rising so rapidly? What part do unions play in this, what about tenure for professors, what about their "defined benefit" pension plan, what about the bureaucracy and other factors that contribute to the costs. That's where you should be looking.

Source:

http://inflationdata.com/infl...
  • derelict doug 2012/07/30 20:16:33
    Republicans are born stupid.
    derelict doug
    +1
    Repugs...anyone not in the one percent who votes against their own best interest by falling for the mean spirited, divisive and IRRELEVANT social wedge issues harped upon by the reich wing media gets what they deserve. If the sentient beings among us who can think for themselves become collateral damage, so be it. Political discourse has never been lower. Think "Idiocracy", that's where the reichtards want us. "Eff U, I'm eating",lol!
  • EdVenture 2012/07/22 03:56:16
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    EdVenture
    +2
    Republicans owned by plutocrats have not wanted to educate people dating back to the civil war. Its in their DNA, not ignorance. Initially, these people protested education unless only white people would be taught reading and writing because it would otherwise present protest and conflict. Jeee...., they were right. DUMP the GOP.
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/07/22 01:19:06
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +2
    Very Simple...... if you work for the 1% then you cant have an educated populace thinking for themselves.
  • gocar 2012/05/30 03:35:07
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    gocar
    +2
    I begin to think that there is a long term plan to return the peasants to that status and have a landed gentry who (like many years ago) were the only ones who wer educated. They will provide a basic education just to make sure the peasants are not illiterate but that will be all. There was a segment of the upper class that always resented that their favorite haunts were now available to the tourist types. They don't want anyone in there track.
  • kitkat42 2012/05/30 03:21:18
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    kitkat42
    +2
    Its in their DNA, they can't help it. Feel very sorry for them!
  • bob h. 2012/05/28 19:18:41
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    bob h.
    +3
    It's important for Plutocrats to maintain a certain amount of ignorance in the masses. If people can read between the lines, the RWNJs are doomed.
  • Huntclan 2012/05/26 10:19:27
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    Huntclan
    +1
    It seems to me that they have to cut spending somewhere. College is a good place to start. I don't expect people would be happy with anywhere they cut.
  • foxhoun... Huntclan 2012/05/26 11:56:49
    foxhound BN0
    +4
    college is the worst place to start.
  • luvguins 2012/05/25 20:38:10
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    luvguins
    +5
    Republicans have to try and keep as many dumb as possible in hopes they will be stupid enough to vote for them. If they can get rid of public education they can indoctrinate kids into their cult with homeschooling from already RWNJs, and private charter schools preaching their party line. The Koch brothers have given mega money to Florida State U with the condition that they control which professors get hired and their curriculum.
    http://crooksandliars.com/joh...
  • Cap luvguins 2012/05/26 04:25:06
    Cap
    +5
    Talk about crocodile tears!!! You are worried that students in American colleges and universities are not getting the straight scoop on topics that they're being taught and you demonstrate your concern by doing your Chicken Little imitation when conservatives seek to facilitate appointment of conservatives to a university faculty? Save your breath to cool your porridge.

A 2007 study by sociology Professors Neil Gross (Harvard) and Solon Simmons (George Mason) showed that 44% of the 1417 faculty members from two and four year American colleges surveyed self-categorized as "liberal/very liberal", 18% self categorized as "slightly liberal", 18% self-categorized as "middle-of-the-road", and 20% self categorized as "slightly conservative/conservative/very conservative". Based on the description provided in the link you post here is nothing permanent about the funding scheme the Koch family offered; the university receiving the offer could hire faculty for a few years to increase the number of conservative faculty and then advise the Kochs they were being deprived of their approval rights. But you apparently find that an outrageous imposition on faculty prerogatives. Easy impulse for you to be comfortable with when the status quo results in almost two/thirds of the faculty rejecting the political ideas of those you dislike. You want to see someone who likes the idea of indoctrination? Quit whining about the Koch brothers and conservatives and go look in the mirror.
  • Charlie Cap 2012/05/26 13:45:40
    Charlie
    +2
    There's no mention of Jerry Brown cutting college funding in California here, but that must be OK as he's a Democrat. Another double standard question.
  • luvguins Cap 2012/05/26 14:16:28
    luvguins
    +5
    Well, gramps, I was a conservative in college, but I never felt professors swung one way or the other in the classes I took. I found the texts pretty neutral also. I think the right has just found another reason to bash liberals, or perhaps con profs are more vocal politically nowdays?
  • Cap luvguins 2012/05/26 17:30:38
    Cap
    What? You look at a study conducted by two professors whose credentials almost guarantee a Liberal pedigree that demonstrates that college faculties are overwhelmingly Liberal, and your response is "Gee, when I was in college, I was a conservative and I didn't see a liberal bias in either my professors or the textbooks." ?

But, then again, perhaps I've merely failed to perceive that your musing has led you to a conclusion you omitted stating. Has your recollection of your experience indicated to you that appointing a few Rep/con professors to a college's Economics faculty isn't going to have much of an impact on indoctrinating undergrads? I can almost hear you salivating at the thought of those foolish Koch Brothers pissing away their money. Thank you for being so open-minded as to allow yourself to convert to the side of Academic Enlightenment.

Despite our newfound bonhomie, I must admit to my inability to figure out why anything we've said would lead one to conclude that "con profs are more vocal politically nowadays". Feel free to explain if so inclined.
  • luvguins Cap 2012/05/26 17:38:11
    luvguins
    +3
    I asked the question whether con profs were perhaps more vocal. It was not a conclusion. If so is that why the Kochs would be pushing for more hires? Do you know or is just being condescending your usual response to questions.
  • Cap luvguins 2012/05/27 06:57:28
    Cap
    +1
    I thought your question was rhetorical. I don't think i was being obtuse in finding it so, though that really is beside the point. Now that you've made clear that your purpose was to seek information, I'm still not sure of the information you seek. Are you asking "More vocal than previously?", or "More vocal than other groups?" or yet some other variation?

On the chance that I can avoid making you respond, let me note that I have no special relationship to the Koch Bothers. When I read the article you linked, which was the first time I heard of the program it discussed, I assumed the Kochs were funding an expansion of the professors who teach conservative economic theory because they are True Believers, who believe in the efficacy of Market Economics and wish others to gain their insights in the belief that the increase in such knowledge is a "tide that will raise all ships". I'm not unaware that there could be less charitable motives, but I don't choose to place much credence in them at my current level of knowledge.
  • explorer1618 2012/05/25 20:15:38
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    explorer1618
    +2
    They are a product of their media - like Fox?, Limbaugh, etc....
    High school drop outs, maybe overdosed on Midol because their " ALWAYS " on the rag !

Inbreeds ! Reprobates ! Trailer trash old and senile !
  • Cap 2012/05/25 19:58:20
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    Cap
    +2
    Stupid people vote Republican. Although numerous qualifying statements could improve that statement, one truly would have to be stupid to deny the statement's truth as a general principle. Stupid people vote Democrat. Anybody want to deny that that Statement is true as a general principle? Please feel free to speak up and state the basis for your belief.
  • Cap Cap 2012/05/25 20:17:14
    Cap
    +3
    Pardon me, I got sufficiently hung up on responding to the thread intro purely as a logical matter, that I forgot to address the specifics included in the content. I do not know if Rick Scott's program is ultimately a wise configuration of the public fisc in Florida or not, but I do know that America is producing more liberal arts graduates than it can employ, and the cost of producing them is going up faster than the rate of inflation. With that backdrop, I feel confident in saying that any comment to the effect that any systematic reduction in State Government fiscal outlays for higher education is necessarily "stupid" is itself far more suspect than the budget reduction it criticizes.
  • beavith1 Cap 2012/05/25 21:56:44 (edited)
    beavith1
    +2
    c'mon Cap. say it with words that they'll understand...
  • Jakedog beavith1 2012/05/28 16:08:27
    Jakedog
    +1
    We understand what he is writing but isn't it a waste of time to go so far when preaching to the choir?
  • beavith1 Cap 2012/05/25 21:55:52
  • YouSirName 2012/05/25 18:32:51
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    YouSirName
    +2
    Florida is about as crooked as Louisiana. Look up info on the South Florida sugar cane industry and how the U.S. taxpayers give 100s of millions to the Fanjul family every year.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.co...

Don't want too many people going to college - they might catch on. Isn't that what Santorum said?
  • BigFig#9 2012/05/25 17:18:52
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    BigFig#9
    +3
    I'm not sure 'stupid' is the correct word - 'Shortsighted and selfish' is a more accurate description. Republicans have become the party of 'me'. Empathy is seen as a weakness....Ironically those Republicans that are college educated probably attended college only because of tuition rates made possible during a time when bi-partisan support of low college tuition was a given. The 'smart' part about this policy for the Republicans is that the less educated the populace is, the more easily they are influenced by the type of appeals that Republicans of late have been thriving on - thinly disguised racism, manufactured 'wars' on gun ownership and 'Christianity', and threats of growing 'Socialism'.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/05/25 17:16:19
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +4
    This is what happens when people vote a CROOK in to the State House. I have friends in FL who tell me he's doing the same thing in K-12 education also. I'm not a gambler but, I'd be willing to bet money he is NOT rescinding the tax breaks to big business though.
  • 2468 2012/05/25 16:02:49
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    2468
    +4
    Education is the raw material for future inventions, ideas and high quality workers.

To reduce this is penny wise and pound foolish.
  • William 2468 2012/05/25 17:24:29
    William
    +3
    Since government has been in "higher education" the cost of colleges and universities has skyrocketed. Once upon a time 30 years ago, one could work his/her way through college. Not now. The next big bubble to explode will be the tuition debt bubble precipitated by education subsidies.
  • bob 2012/05/25 14:38:25
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    bob
    +4
    Stupid or greedy, or do the Republican want the population illerate
  • Rebel Yell 2012/05/25 13:50:08
    Republicans are born stupid.
    Rebel Yell
    +5
    A fact no one disputes is the more educated you are, the more likely you will find a job and become a productive and contributing member in society. Education matters unless your goal is to operate a firework stand.

So, of course, Republicans like dimwitted Rick Scott throw a huge bolder in the paths of college kids to make certain some will wind up flipping burgers instead of pursuing that engineering degree. Then they will turn around and say," See how lazy kids are today? It's because Demcrats have been giving them stuff." Same old line of bull sheet.

Willard showed his ignorant azz again in a inner city school yesterday. Sitting with teachers and school officials, Willard dropped a couple of bombs that left mouths wide open. Class size doesn't matter and the best way to make certain kids get a good education is to have two parent households. There you have it... the Republican educational plan.
    Republicans are born stupid.
    +1
    No let's keep paying for everything and everybody so we can go broke charge more taxes, bring economic growth to a slower pace so we can go broke and then nobody will get anything from government. SPENDING MORE THAN YOU TAKE IN IS CRIMINAL AND THE HEIGHT OF I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E!
  • Sissy 2012/05/25 13:22:11
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    Sissy
    +8
  • foxhoun... Sissy 2012/05/25 21:57:56
    foxhound BN0
    +4
    because there are enough idiots to vote for other idiots like this?
  • Sissy foxhoun... 2012/05/25 22:15:37
    Sissy
    +5
    I like to give them a break Foxy and say perhaps "enormously mis-informed"?
  • irish 2012/05/25 13:08:04
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    irish
    +5
    rick snot? the same moron who should be doing jail time?  recall  governor rick  scott

Columbia/HCA. When he was chief executive, the hospital chain committed among the largest Medicare and Medicaid fraud in history and paid $1.7 billion in fines after Scott left.
  • Jakedog irish 2012/05/28 16:15:13
    Jakedog
    +3
    So in Florida, as I read it here, it is against the law to vote if you have been convicted of a felony. Yet is ok to run for office if your crime is ripping of the federal government.
  • irish Jakedog 2012/05/29 13:33:21
    irish
    +3
    apparently.
    Stupid people vote Republican.
    +5
    I say BOTH.
  • foxhoun... Lady Wh... 2012/05/25 13:14:34
    foxhound BN0
    +6
    I wish I could rave you twice!
  • Lady Wh... foxhoun... 2012/05/25 15:18:43
    +4
    THANKIES!!

2014/11/28 01:34:06