Republican is shocked that money for religious schools means ALL religions.

Mel 2012/07/07 06:49:14
Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion
  • republican horrified discover christianity religion
By Erin Gloria Ryan

Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only ReligionIt's an honest mistake, assuming that the Constitution only protects your own personal megachurch faith. But one Louisiana Republican is learning the hard way that religious school vouchers can be used to fund education at all sorts of religious schools, even Muslim ones. And while she's totally in favor of taxpayer money being used to pay for kids to go to Christian schools, she's willing to put a stop to the entire program if Muslim schools are going to be involved.

Valarie Hodges admitted that when she supported Governor Bobby Jindal's school voucher program, she only did so because she assumed the religious school vouchers could only be used for Christianschools. Religious freedom means that everyone's free to follow Valarie Hodges' religion! She explains,

I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America's Founding Fathers' religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools. I liked the idea of giving parents the option of sending their children to a public school or a Christian school.

As The Friendly Atheist points out, the brand of Christianity currently espoused by many in the religious right wing would be pretty unrecognizable to the Founding Fathers, who were pretty high on Deism and pretty low on Christian rock concerts/ talking about The Children's collective virginity/ having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. But whatever. Facts are immaterial at this point.

Louisiana's Kenneth the Page governor had pushed pretty hard for the vouchers program, fast tracking it through the legislature early in the state's legislative session. But, according to the Livingston Parish News, as the measure was brought up for a vote before the full house, a Muslim school applied for the voucher program.

Whoa! Record scratch sound! Dishes breaking! Islam is a religion protected by the constitution, too? No one told Valarie Hodges anything about religions being equal under the law! She can't support any sort of anything that could learn to families using taxpayer money to educate their kids in Islamic schools. She added Bachmannesquely,

We need to insure that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.

A thousand. A thousand Muslim schools in Louisiana. Maybe that's why first-time jobless claims are decreasing there; all those Muslim school jobs at the thousand new Muslim schools that Valarie Hodges knows are out there just waiting to suck off the tax teat.

The voucher program, called Act 2, passed, opening the door for god knows how many non-Valarie Hodge's-religion schools that might interfere with her vision of America as a sort of Christian Saudi Arabia. At least one public school district has already filed suit in an attempt to keep the voucher program from being enacted.

[Livingston Parish News]

Number of comments

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/07/07 17:02:19
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +11
    oh so she didnt mean for Pagans and Buddhists and Jews and Hindus and Taoists and Sikhism, Jainism, Bahá'í Faith , Cheondoism , Confucianism,
    Scientology Islam and Satanics

shes an idiot I do not want Government money going for ANY Religion including my own
    we must keep Separation of church and State for a Very Good reason

• UberAwesomeness 2012/07/12 22:26:15
    UberAwesomeness
    +1
    Wow, just wow....
  • Mel UberAwe... 2012/07/13 01:08:08
    Mel
    Amazing country we live in.
  • UberAwe... Mel 2012/07/13 17:26:54
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/07/10 20:05:40
    Call me Mark willya?
    I don't think the program is a good one, that money should be helping the public schools , not a religious school that will probably charge tuition anyway.
  • Mel Call me... 2012/07/11 20:51:42
    Mel
    I agree
  • doc 2012/07/10 16:26:32
    doc
    +1
    Ignorance is bliss
  • Mel doc 2012/07/10 19:28:44
    Mel
    At least in her mind
  • elijahin24 2012/07/10 14:04:25
    elijahin24
    +1
    Well, yeah, because as Jefferson said
    "We must build a wall of separation between the church and the state, and that wall must have a door, and Valarie Hodge's church must hold the only key"
    -Letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Baptist League of Danbury, Connecticut

Or, if you prefer James Madison,
    Congress shall make no law respecting any non-Christian religion, or allowing the free exercise thereof, and they must make sure all laws are supported by the book of Leviticus.
    -Amendment I of the United States Constitution.

I'm almost sure I quoted them right.
  • Mel elijahin24 2012/07/10 19:29:27
    Mel
    Both of them obviously saw the problem long before this would happen
    Well Gee Wiz, The voucher programs of all states cannot discriminate.
  • Mel sjalan 2012/07/10 00:51:04
    Mel
    would you like to wager on that?
  • sjalan Mel 2012/07/10 01:10:37
    If the funding is available to one religious group it MUST be available to all religious groups. Check your rulings on the 14th Amendment you will find it definaely applies
  • Mel sjalan 2012/07/10 02:33:17
    Mel
    And you honestly think they will? OK let me open a Pagan school there and see what happens
  • Mandy 2012/07/09 19:46:45
    Mandy
    Funny how that works, huh Val?
  • Fenris 2012/07/09 15:06:28
    Fenris
    +1
    We´ve got a full loadn off that crap in Sweden mostly christian schools I guess!
  • Sew 2012/07/09 11:57:31
    Sew
    +1
    FSM School vouchers! I demand them!
  • Mel Sew 2012/07/09 17:16:40
    Mel
    Vouchers for christian schools? Are you kidding?
  • Sew Mel 2012/07/10 03:05:25
    Sew
    FSM=Flying Spaghetti Monster.
  • Mel Sew 2012/07/10 04:15:20
    Mel
    I prefer lasagne
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2012/07/09 04:43:15
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    +1
    Wow... I actually have no words for this... It's just too stupid.
  • Butch 2012/07/08 23:13:20
    Butch
    +2
    Some of the Christian Crusaders must not have die off? Well there is always hope for next year.
  • Mel Butch 2012/07/09 03:43:18
    Mel
    *LOL*
  • Butch Mel 2012/07/22 18:08:16
  • Mel Butch 2012/07/23 04:55:29
    Mel
    YW
  • twocrows 2012/07/08 22:33:30
    twocrows
    +1
    but hey! according to a number of people in gubmint, "MY rights are the only rights that are protected by the Constitution! the rest of you can go hang."

i c.
  • John Hall 2012/07/08 21:09:57
    John Hall
    +2
    You know these are college educated people and there dumb as a sack of rocks .
  • Mel John Hall 2012/07/08 21:34:33
    Mel
    +1
    You might wonder what colleges they attended though?
  • Sew John Hall 2012/07/09 11:54:50
    Sew
    +1
    Hey now! Lets not insult bags of rocks here.
  • John Hall Sew 2012/07/09 12:30:21
    John Hall
    I apologize to all the bags of rocks my bad . It's a shame these people who represent the people can't or don't understand that there are other religions .
  • DFA 2012/07/08 20:06:43
    DFA
    +3
    Ahh government and religion being intertwined again... sigh.
  • misterz 2012/07/08 19:03:57
    misterz
    +3
    Another elected idiot - & they all seem to be "Christian". Religious nuts
  • Nameless 2012/07/08 18:59:29
    Nameless
    +4
    This was painful to read. LOL! That woman is dumber than lemming snot.
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/07/08 18:15:32
    Roblem BN-0
    +4
    I want freedom FROM religion! ;-)
  • Wild Dog 2012/07/08 18:07:53
    Wild Dog
    +4
    And this from a state represenitive? Once again the extreme right rears it's ugly head that our constitution only works for their beliefs .The same ones protest the OWS group, because they don't like their veiws ,go against the Muslims ,cause they don't share their views .Right at this point I see them decrying things today as communist ,and evil ,cause it isn't their way .No ,this woman doesn't belong where she is .We have our freedoms ,as the constitution says. If they can't handle all religions as equal, or all speech ,other than hate ,as equal ,they have no pkace in government .
  • DefendnProtect 2012/07/08 17:54:29 (edited)
    DefendnProtect
    +5
    LOL! Religious school vouchers with taxdollars, this is discrimination against atheists! Isn't this a violation of the Constitution somehow?

constitution tax religion
  • Jackal Defendn... 2012/07/08 18:17:59
    Jackal
    +2
    Actually it isn't. Atheist didn't ask for a Atheist school. You only get what you ask for. If Atheist get denied funding for a school, while others get funding for a school, then it would be Unconstitutional. Either way, I think the government shouldn't have a hand in Religious Schools. That should be a private thing funded by their Religion.
  • Defendn... Jackal 2012/07/08 19:13:10
    DefendnProtect
    +2
    Agree. Gov out. Department of Education gone. Parents, teachers and local communities in charge of their own schools again.

Still find it a bit weird specific groups based on religion are allowed to get taxpayer dollars for their pet projects.
  • elijahin24 Jackal 2012/07/10 15:11:29
    elijahin24
    +1
    An atheist school can't exist because atheism isn't a religion. It isn't a thing. It's the absence of a thing. Much in the way darkness isn't an entity all it's own; but rather is the absence of light. Cold isn't an entity of it's own. It's simply that absence of heat. Atheism isn't a belief in any specific thing. It's the absence of the belief in a specific thing. So what exactly would an atheist school teach? I think we're mostly OK with secular schools, thanks.
  • Jackal elijahin24 2012/07/10 15:21:37
    Jackal
    It wouldn't teach Intelligent Design, I'll tell you that...
    Yes there is still schools that teach Intelligent Design..
  • elijahin24 Jackal 2012/07/10 15:39:22
    elijahin24
    +1
    Yeah, I know. I went to one as a kid, and they still teach that nonsense today.

2014/04/20 13:21:22