Remember, remember the Fifth of November...

G-Rod 2009/09/08 10:27:02
How do you celebrate the 5th of November?
Remember, remember...
"Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot"

Over 400 years ago, a group of Roman Catholic revolutionaries in England, led by Robert Catesby, attempted to destroy the British Parliament building in order to assassinate King James I of England and begin a rebellion. The plot involved turning a large barrel of gunpowder, hidden underneath the building, into a bomb. The man in charge of handling the explosives was Guy Fawkes, the more well-known of the conspirators. He would ultimately be discovered by guards and captured before he could ignite the explosives. Later, the entire conspiracy was uncovered and all of the men involved were hanged and drawn and quartered as a reminder of the consequences of rebellion.
Many in London celebrate the day as Bonfire Night or Fireworks Night. For my fellow American readers, it's much like Halloween and Independance Day combined. Many have wondered why I celebrate this holiday as I am an American young adult. You see, I celebrate this holiday because it represents, to me, a group of brave men who stood up for a cause they believed in, risking everything and paid the ultimate price for it. Now my question is, do you celebrate the 5th of November and if so how?

• Sithhobbit 2009/09/08 10:56:22
    Remember, remember...
    Sithhobbit
    +2
    I do in fact celebrate the 5th of November. Being a Catholic myself and understanding what I would do if my faith was oppressed and outlawed, I can do nothing but remember their actions.

I usually try and toast the lads, particularly Fawkes either with a pint at the pub with some friends or at home with a dram of Jameson.

• Illjwamh 2012/11/05 18:39:17
    Remember, remember...
    Illjwamh
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November
    The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
    I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
    Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
    'Twas his intent.
    To blow up the King and the Parliament.
    Three score barrels of powder below.
    Poor old England to overthrow.
    By God's providence he was catch'd,
    With a dark lantern and burning match

Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
    Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!
  • Nathan 2011/03/04 21:27:49
    Remember, remember...
    Nathan
    Reamber, reamber the fit of November, the gunpowder teason and plot. I see of no reson it should ever be forgot.
  • Richie 2009/09/09 01:18:24
    Remember, remember...
    Richie
    all right
  • G-Rod Richie 2009/09/09 04:04:52
    G-Rod
    All right what?
  • Spring 2009/09/08 12:59:47 (edited)
    Remember, remember...
    Spring
    +1
    by watching v or vendetta watching vendetta
  • G-Rod Spring 2009/09/09 04:04:39
    G-Rod
    That is a cool film.
  • RamblingVoices. 2009/09/08 11:42:35
    RamblingVoices.
    +1
    yay bommie night! when i was a kid everyone had bonfires in their back garden and fireworks, we would have treacle toffee and toffee apples, and put jacket potatoes in the fire, we would get old clothes and stuff them with newspaper and go around to houses doin penny for the guy, nowadays hardly anyone has fires anymore they have firework events in town where everyone can go and watch the display, basically the councillors and goverment have spoiled it for us, my kids have only been one bonfire, i really dont understand why they have to take everything enjoyable and turn it into something so restricted and not in the least celebratory councillors goverment spoiled kids bonfire understand enjoyable turn restricted celebratory
  • G-Rod Ramblin... 2009/09/09 04:03:47
    G-Rod
    +1
    That is a wonderful tradition and I have no idea why they would do that either. They did the same thing in the US with our Independance Day.
  • Ramblin... G-Rod 2009/09/09 08:21:26
    RamblingVoices.
    they spoil everything in one way or another dont they
  • G-Rod Ramblin... 2009/09/09 23:26:14
    G-Rod
    +1
    Suppose we have to get used to it. Want to know something funny? Here in Kentucky, we can't buy fireworks that shoot into the air but we are allowed to set them off. In Indiana, which is right above Kentucky, you can buy the fireworks but it's illegal to set them off!
  • Ramblin... G-Rod 2009/09/10 09:50:09
    RamblingVoices.
    hahahaha seriously?!!you got to go indiana to buy fireworks then back to kentucky to set them off? lol thats mad
  • G-Rod Ramblin... 2009/09/11 16:49:04
    G-Rod
    +1
    Welcome to Knetuckiana. You know you're from Louisville when your "International" airport has 1 flight leaving the continental US and it's going to Hawaii!
  • Ramblin... G-Rod 2009/09/11 20:12:39
    RamblingVoices.
    lol! sounds good hehe
  • G-Rod Ramblin... 2009/09/12 05:12:21
    G-Rod
    +1
    Hahaha yeah
  • Sithhobbit 2009/09/08 10:56:22
    Remember, remember...
    Sithhobbit
    +2

• G-Rod Sithhobbit 2009/09/08 11:00:30
    G-Rod
    +2
    Wonderful. I am glad that these men and their deeds are not forgotten.

2014/04/16 04:25:49