Red States Hoard Funds, Letting Citizens And Economy Suffer

ProudProgressive 2012/06/21 14:06:10

By Deborah Montesano
June 20, 2012

State and local governments continue to bleed jobs even as the economy slowly recovers and state governments see their tax revenues rise. The fiscal improvement isn’t translating into more or better public services. State governments are stashing their growing funds instead of giving increased assistance to struggling local governments, or to services for their citizens. As a result, teachers, firefighters, policemen, and government agency personnel continue to receive pink slips. More than half the job loss for local governments is in the area of education.

The worst offenders are the 11 states where Republicans seized control of both houses of the legislatures after the 2010 elections. While governors and legislators made many promises about job creation during that election, they have instead targeted public workers to such an extent that the economy is threatened.

What the residents of these states may not realize is that their governments are hoarding increased revenues in either their general funds or their rainy day funds, or both. Below are the 11 states and where to find the money, according to the Report By The National Governors Association for Spring, 2012:

Alabama: $51,000,000, general fund
Indiana: $1,124,000,000, general fund; $57,000,000, rainy day fund
Maine: $20,000,000, general fund; $7,000,000, rainy day fund
Michigan: $554,000,000, general fund; $2,000,000, rainy day fund
Minnesota: $1,289,000,000, general fund; $9,000,000, rainy day fund
Montana: $340,000,000, general fund
New Hampshire: $27,000,000, general fund; $9,000,000, rainy day fund
North Carolina: $582,000,000, general fund; $296,000,000, rainy day fund
Ohio: $845,000,000, general fund
Pennsylvania: $1,073,000,000, general fund
Wisconsin: $86,000,000, general fund

These eleven states account for fully 40.5 percent of 2011’s total job losses in the public sector. Texas alone ($1,136,000,000, general fund; $5,012,000,000, rainy day fund), which was already in the hands of Republicans, accounted for an additional 31 percent of the losses. In other words, a total of 71.5 percent of the losses come from 24 percent of the states, all of which are controlled by the GOP.

As stated in The New York Times today, this massive loss of jobs means “longer response times to fires, larger class sizes, and in some cases lawsuits when short-staffed agencies are unable to provide the required services.” And even though the GOP is notoriously pro-business, the private sector suffers, too. Businesses need firefighters to show up, roads to be built, and workers to be educated.

All of those who are thinking of voting Republican this time around might ask themselves this question: What do I want to see happen if it’s my house that’s on fire?

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/06/20/red-states...

• Rebel Yell 2012/06/21 16:54:41
    Rebel Yell
    +3
    The great divide between the haves and have-nots is being orchestrated by the haves, while the have-nots are getting pushed further into the ground.

Texas' Rainy Day Fun was set up to make certain that in the event of a natural disaster or otherwise, the government bureaus along with education could survive.

So how did that work out for Texans. While thousands of teachers have been laid off while the enrollment across the state is increasing, Texas legislators agreed to pay $25 million per year through 2022 to Formula One auto racing. Gov. Perry tried to sell this as "investors are 'building a 3.4-mile track to bring the event to Austin". The truth is the $25 million government handout from the state will subsidize the costs Formula One will incur.

The wildfires were fought last year by volunteer firemen in fireproof jeans and shirts.... the fund for all equipment was slashed. Firemen who showed up from other states to help were shocked at the sight. But hey... there is good news. The governor's mansion is finally approaching full renovation, so the Perry's will be moving out of their $10,000 a month rental estate, courtesy of Texans, and back into the mansion.

• CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/06/22 00:43:22
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    Good points and so many reasons not to vote republican.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/06/21 16:54:41
    Rebel Yell
    +3

• whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/06/21 15:59:15
  • Space I... whitewu... 2012/06/21 16:20:44
    Space Invader
    +1
    Illinois is the real embarrassment of the country..relatives tell me that ghost towns are sprouting everywhere; while people leave everything behind to go elsewhere..it is an awful mess...
  • Z 2012/06/21 15:40:54
    Z
    +2
    Oh no, they decided not to waste money, and to have something left over in case something like this ever happens again. HOW DARE THOSE FORWARD THINKING BASTARDS!
  • MichaelJ 2012/06/21 15:16:08 (edited)
    MichaelJ
    +1
    Only a liberal could agree with this. It display perfectly what is wrong. State governments, like responsible people should NEVER spend every dime they bring in.

If you are a responsible person, you have an emergency fund. That means you don't live paycheck to paycheck, you have funds set aside for the unexpected. Things like loosing a job or sickness.

Then you don't end up loosing your home that you have paid for years to buy merely because you lost a job for 6 months. It's called being an adult where I'm from.

States should be responsible and act in the same way as a responsible adult. I would encourage all Americans to require a balanced budget requirement for their states so you don't end up like California and many others.
    The last sentace of this post says it all..... READ IT, PEOPLE.
  • zbacku 2012/06/21 14:25:38
    zbacku
    +2
    Michigan has a teacher lamenting that she can't retire at 47 now that Snyder is doing something about the deficit. That, my friend tells us all just what this teachers really care about. Their pensions that WE have to pay for.
  • zbacku 2012/06/21 14:22:58
    zbacku
    +1
    Are you kidding me??????? Michigan a Red State??????????????? Michigan is fully Liberal. Only lately have the citizens decide that Union control has bankrupted the state.

Same thing can be said of Wisconsin and others. blue states

So, keeping money on hand for emergencies is a bad thing????
    I think you might rethink this post.

What do you want? Bankruptcy! Heck, the country is already there.
  • Space I... zbacku 2012/06/21 16:26:34
    Space Invader
    the two most dangerous cities in the US..Flint and Detroit Michigan..we went to Detroit for a conference; it looked like Hiroshima..the former mayor is or was in jail; along with his wife, houses are rotting into the ground....no lights after 9 PM; no cops on the street and night.. there's NO MONEY!!
    We have people coming to our state from all over; no state income tax; lower cost of living, and a right to work state....
    I talk to them everyday..it is simply amazing; from NY NJ; NH; Maine; just talked to a family from Michigan a few minutes ago......they said they had to get out; my brothers wife's family have moved here from Illinois; and a boatload of people are from Iowa and other states.....the blue states are killing their people with unbearable taxes and regulations...
    So the article has to be one-side or pure bogus...
  • Reichstolz 2012/06/21 14:19:30
    Reichstolz
    +3
    Wow, you are delusional and pathetic. These states are better of precisely because they are limiting the drag public union monkey's pose to their budgets.

Have fun trying to justify hiring or paying teachers more when in my area they are some of the highest paid in the nation with the worst results.

Have fun trying to tell me we need more cops when they will pull an illegal over for speeding and will not impound their vehicle, but if they pull me over for speeding and I don't have my drivers license, they will impound mine for 30 days.

Try telling me that we need more fire fighters when they are charging me $150 annual fee for where I live, I am required to have an operational fire suppression system(that if it is not working they can fine me $1,000), and at best they show up 27 minutes after a home is fully engulfed in flame.

Your whining for more government is pathetic, if they produced anything close to the results I am paying for you might have an argument. But as it stands there is nothing they are earning their pay doing.
  • Cuppajo 2012/06/21 14:10:32
  • ProudPr... Cuppajo 2012/06/21 14:11:41
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    The statistics presented are accurate. What is your objection?
  • Cuppajo ProudPr... 2012/06/21 14:13:30
  • Reichstolz ProudPr... 2012/06/21 14:20:03
    Reichstolz
    +1
    The statistics you present mean nothing.
  • Narcole... ProudPr... 2012/06/21 14:21:40
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Truth hurts
  • whitewu... ProudPr... 2012/06/21 16:02:10

2014/08/21 00:27:58