Reagan and HW Bush Refused to Politicize Iran Crisis During 1980 Election.

luvguins 2012/09/15 02:52:58
By Ben Armbruster: Republicans love Ronald Reagan. Despite the fact that today’s GOP is so far to the right that it probably would consider Reagan a radical leftist, whatever policy Republicans want to prescribe to a any particular issue, they just stamp a “Ronald Reagan” seal of approval to it and the crowd goes wild. Mitt Romney is too, no stranger to idealizing Reagan. So one might expect that his widely ridiculed outburst that President Obama sympathized with the attackers who killed four American foreign service officers this week was something Ronald Reagan would have done. Not exactly. Some reporters have wondered whether Reagan attacked President Carter after his failed attempt at rescuing American hostages in Iran during the 1980 campaign. So what did Reagan say as news broke? He called for national unity: “This is a difficult day for all of us Americans. … It is time for us…to stand united. It is a day for quiet reflection…when words should be few and confined essentially to our prayers.” George H.W. Bush, also campaigning for the GOP nomination at that time was more direct: “I unequivocally support the president of the United States — no ifs, ands or buts — and it certainly is not a time to try to go one-up politically. He made a difficult, courageous decision.” And while Reagan did criticize Carter’s foreign policy throughout the campaign, he refrained from attacking the Iran issue during his debate with the president once he sealed the nomination. It’s a lesson Romney can learn from. As he has admitted, “I’ve learned over time, like Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush and others, my experience in life over, what, 19 — 17, 18, 19 years has told me that sometimes I was wrong.” “Where I was wrong, I’ve tried to correct myself.” Now may be time for that correction. Greg Noth contributed to this post.

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/09/13/84355...

• Roger47 2012/09/15 04:59:45
    Roger47
    +12
    The reason Reagan did not dare criticize Carter over Iran was that Reagan had already worked out a deal with the captors to keep the hostages imprisoned until after the election. What he did was treason, but it would have been even worse if he had criticized Carter for something that was his responsibility.

• Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/09/15 22:15:21
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    LOL - yeah all the while negotiating with them WHILE they held US hostages.

[..]Campaign manager William Casey and George Bush met with Iranian Prime Minister Bani-sadr in Paris in October, only weeks before the election and with Carter having a slight lead over Reagan. Part of the deal cut between the Reagan team and Iran was to provide military weapons which Iran desperately needed in its war with Iraq. As it turned out, the 52 American hostages remained captive in Teheran. Carter's popularity continued to plummet, enabling Reagan to be elected in November, and ironically the hostages were returned at 12 o'clock noon on January 21, 1981 when Reagan was inaugurated.
  • luvguins Joe Shw... 2012/09/15 22:34:36
    luvguins
    +1
    The GOP has always been famous for dirty tricks especially now.
  • Joe Shw... luvguins 2012/09/15 22:41:32
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    [..]A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not. [Reagan Testimony to the Tower Commission] (4 March 1987)
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/09/15 16:15:02 (edited)
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +4
    Reagan and George Herbert W. Bush only refused to politicize the Iran crisis during the 1980 elections because they knew it would implicate them in their underhanded dealings with the Iranians.
  • luvguins Guru_T_... 2012/09/15 16:52:18
    luvguins
    +3
    No doubt, Rufus. Why the S&L collapse and Iran Contra did not topple Reagan from sainthood is a mystery. Imagine that happening now. Oh, but it did in bigger proportion with Bush.
  • kudabux 2012/09/15 13:01:44
    kudabux
    +8
    Romney has a lot of correcting to do. The cons still love Reagan and idolize Ollie North, the party of 'values'. Ain't that a riot!!
  • bob h. kudabux 2012/09/15 18:51:46
    bob h.
    +4
    What's he complaining about, he got a suspended sentence and a job peddling BS at FOX.
  • Golanv (Raven) 2012/09/15 12:40:51
    Golanv (Raven)
    +4
    I worked in philanthropy during both administrations. The Republicans of the 80s are spinning in their graves at what has become of their party.
  • Roger47 2012/09/15 04:59:45
    Roger47
    +12
  • kudabux Roger47 2012/09/15 13:04:08
    kudabux
    +6
    That little nugget (a deal to keep the hostages imprisoned until after the election) is something that is not widely known and certainly, the cons will ask for a link. LOL
  • luvguins kudabux 2012/09/15 14:19:26
    luvguins
    +6
    If so it shows that the GOP is the party of dirty tricks from Watergate to Reagan to Bush in 2000.
  • Matt 2012/09/15 03:56:27 (edited)
    Matt
    +9
    They didn't need to politicize the Iran hostage crisis. They were cutting backroom deals to delay the hostage release until after the elections. They were buying tons of drugs and selling tons of weapons to the Iranians.

Ollie North guns drugs
    Your tax dollars at work !
  • kudabux Matt 2012/09/15 13:04:42
    kudabux
    +6
    Drug dealing and gun running. Our US government at work.
    +7
    Isn't it the truth!!!
  • Keeping It Real 2012/09/15 03:09:34
    Keeping It Real
    +8
    These Republiconteabaggers are the bottom of the shoe racist bigot kind and much worst then the Republicans back in Reagan day.
  • kudabux Keeping... 2012/09/15 13:05:05 (edited)
    kudabux
    +6
    True, but Reagan's bunch were criminals, too
  • Keeping... kudabux 2012/09/15 13:14:26
    Keeping It Real
    +4
    I agree!

2014/04/19 09:32:54