Rave this if You Want Tax Cuts!

American Patriot Justice is Serv 2012/07/09 12:45:43
Rave this if You Want Tax Cuts!
According to a White House official, seeking to spare the economy the impact of taxes going up on January 1, President Barack Obama will call on Monday for a one-year extension of Bush-era tax cuts for families earning less than $250,000 a year.
Obama will make the request in a statement at the White House, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Republicans in Congress, however, are unlikely to be swayed, as they have consistently argued that the Bush tax cuts should be extended for everyone.
Obama has made what he calls "tax fairness" a key feature of his campaign for re-election on November 6, repeatedly urging Congress to make the tax cuts permanent for families making less than $250,000 a year.

See full story at http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/09/12636121-ob...

• Jeremiah 2012/07/10 17:30:13 (edited)
    Jeremiah
    +8
    It sounds fair to me. Tax cuts for those who need them, as opposed to those who don't. The wealthy have had their cuts for eleven years, and where are the jobs they were supposed to create?

We also need the Buffett Rule to partially level the playing field.

• getu 2012/07/17 15:24:20
    getu
    How kind of Obama and Pelosi to want us to continue with the cuts another year!! Is that supposed to, in some way, offset the ObamaCare tax? It won't.

We already know this administration's reading comprehension is limited, because they are unable to explain exactly what their favored bills contain, perhaps they cannot count either...
  • Spizzzo... getu 2012/07/18 12:34:51
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Are you admitting that you are yet another of those crazy or deluded people that think that Obamacare will raise taxes much and does not save money overall, or that, even worse, you do not want Obamacare to happen so that thousands per year may continue to die? Shame on you, if so.
  • getu Spizzzo... 2012/07/24 15:47:21
    getu
    I'm not crazy enough to think that ObamaCare is a magic bullet for everyone's health care. Anything that takes the decisions regarding what medical procedures I should have out of the care of medical professionals and puts them in the hands of political appointees is not going to be better than what we had before this misguided abortion of medical care. And yes, use of that term is completely appropriate.
  • Spizzzo... getu 2012/08/29 11:01:19
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Guess what? NO ONE, as in NOT ANYONE, ever!; ever said Obamacare was "a magic bullet for everyone's health care" (your words). Never, ever, ever. Nor does it take "decisions regarding what medical procedures I should have out of the care of medical professionals and puts them in the hands of political appointees" (again, YOUR words). In fact, as I personally know, the current non-Obamacare system is much worse than you imagine Obamacare will be, as it puts "decisions regarding what medical procedures I should have out of the care of medical professionals and puts them in the hands" of for-profit insurance company flunkies, who have a strong incentive to refuse as much care as they can in order to maximize the profits of their companies. Why in the world would you want to put yourself in the hands of someone who profits by killing you?
  • getu Spizzzo... 2012/09/05 00:32:41
    getu
    Since you asked about what I would do, I wouldn't want to; don't intend to.

That's why I only go to medical doctors who treat using alternative therapies and no prescriptions. I have not taken a prescription medicine (other than 2 pain pills after gall bladder surgery) in 26 years.

I have Medicare, no other insurance, and have never used the Medicare. (I was not yet covered when I had the surgery).

By the way, I had excellent care, and my health care providers allowed me to set the amount of my payments to them. Two of the five bills are paid off and the third one will be this year. The other two will be paid off in two more years. I was not denied any procedure that was needed.
  • Spizzzo... getu 2012/11/24 08:20:07
    Spizzzo BN-0
    Good for you. Really (even though I disagree in many details). Still, I don't see why you seem to want to force everyone to adopt your strategy. Aren't people allowed to elect to use standard medicine if they so desire?
  • getu Spizzzo... 2012/11/27 18:19:44
    getu
    Certainly they should do so! However, it is a choice of what is available that you can afford. It is not my God-given RIGHT to have one particular medical care option over another. You don't select a $4 million dollar mansion if you can only afford a $50,000 home. You don't buy a Cadillac if you can only afford a Kia. It's a matter of judgement.

The compassionate difference with medical care is that there really are lots of private ways to receive the needed care, especially for children, at no cost. People donate every day to various hospitals and funds for health care. How many children have been treated due to the efforts of Danny Thomas, and now through his daughter, Marlo? How about the Shriners' Hospital and the various medical centers who contribute their knowledge and services to treat many people. That is from the HEART, not from the government.

It is NOT the government's business and they should not oversee it.

For once they are in it, some special interest group ...perhaps the pharma industry?........ is going to be there, handing out money and favors to get the government to do things in a way that yields them the greatest profit, instead of providing the best care...

Sound like anything we already know about?
  • David Hussey 2012/07/15 17:06:27
    David Hussey
    +1
    Tax cuts? Insane! Taxes need to be increased, on everybody. Like it or not the country is awash in debt, debt growing at a staggering rate. Taxes must be increased and spending must be slashed. When, and only when, there is a budget surplus that can begin reducing the debt you can start calling for tax reductions.

Or, demand your tax cuts, demand the spending and face the imminent liquidation of the Republic and watch its assets, its people, become the property of the debt holders.
  • Spizzzo... David H... 2012/07/18 12:35:33
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    Well, duh!
  • Lee 2012/07/15 06:26:16 (edited)
    Lee
    +2
    So in other words, Right Wingers in Congress absolutely REFUSE to allow tax cuts for the middle class, unless high earners are also included.

Republicans in Congress absolutely REFUSE to compromise and help 90 percent of Americans.

Why do Right Wing Scum continually do harm to this nation?

Our Republican Congressmen are clearly controlled by Plutocrats, at the expense of America and 90 percent of its citizens.
  • David H... Lee 2012/07/19 02:35:17
    David Hussey
    Why do the Left Wing Scum continue to be complicit with the Right Wing Scum. If you think its only Republicans owned by plutocrats you're in delusion.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/07/15 03:42:16
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Even Pelosi has said that taxes should not be raised, except on those earning 1 million dollars and more. I think that she is correct for once in her life.
  • William 2012/07/14 05:09:35
    William
    +1
    Let's have no tax cuts and real budget cuts.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/07/12 06:46:02
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    The Tax cuts should be for everyone! There is this myth that the wealthy don't pay their fair share.

Let's see now? If they are wealthy chances they own an expensive home maybe two? And some income property? Are they not paying property taxes on all that?

If you own a business in say a 6000 sq. foot facility are you not paying taxes on the electricity and internet provider?

If they own a small business and pay themselves a salary they not only pay their portion for their employees but they pay the whole amount for themselves!

If say they are wealthy enough to have a stock portfolio they pay taxes on any capital gain! Many companies like Fender Guitar that are privately owned for years actually go public to get out from underneath tax debt!

And most of your congressmen are very well aware of this!

Hummm....I'm thinking they are already paying more!
  • Lee littleb... 2012/07/15 06:28:23
    Lee
    +1
    Gawd what a disgusting peon you are . . . licking in the boots of plutocrats to your own disadvantage.
  • littleb... Lee 2012/07/15 06:35:17
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Lol....Go Lick the Millionaire Academic Elitist Globalist Socialists Boots! Oh and don't forget the Spit Shine!

shoe shine gifs

Remember the Shinola!

shinola
  • Jeremiah 2012/07/10 17:30:13 (edited)
    Jeremiah
    +8

• trentin... Jeremiah 2012/07/13 06:45:47
    trentinafur
    +3
    well said as usual, Jeremiah.
  • Jeremiah trentin... 2012/07/13 15:44:02
    Jeremiah
    +1
    Thank you, friend.
  • BigFig#9 2012/07/10 16:58:12
    BigFig#9
    +2
    I don't need no 'stinkin tax cut. I don't mind paying 4% more marginal rate and it's unlikely to change my behavior in the least. But who needs (for now) not to have a tax increase are the poor and those under $250K - the certified proven spenders who cause demand who cause job growth. Me, I might just send the extra money overseas on a new Audi which is great for the Germans but not so great for Americans... Probably though I'd just park that money but with so much capital in the wings right now there's no great return available UNTIL demand picks up. (This then gets back to the certified proven spenders- the middle and the poor....)
  • Louis Shipman 2012/07/09 23:21:24
    Louis Shipman
    Nice election year gambit. What they didn't mention is that obamacare adds 21 new taxes on January 1st many of them hitting the middleclass.
  • Jeremiah Louis S... 2012/07/10 17:34:08
    Jeremiah
    +2
    Nice try. The tax part of ACA doesn't go into effect until 2014, and I wish someone would explain those "21 new taxes."

The tax cut came up because Bush's cuts expire at the end of this year. The expiration date was written into the law by John Boehner, so it could pass the Senate using reconciliation.
  • Louis S... Jeremiah 2012/07/10 23:14:52
    Louis Shipman
    +1
    Many of the taxes such as taxes on medicad devices and medicnes start next year. Most of the so-called benefits don't start til 2014.
  • Jeremiah Louis S... 2012/07/11 05:09:25
    Jeremiah
    +2
    It has to start somewhere. A program of that magnitude cannot be pulled out of thin air.
  • Louis S... Jeremiah 2012/07/11 23:23:04
    Louis Shipman
    +1
    Maybe a program of this magnitude should not be done at all.
  • Jeremiah Louis S... 2012/07/12 16:58:20
    Jeremiah
    +1
    52 million Americans are without health care coverage. We have a broken system that is by far the most expensive in the world––one-third of all HC funding goes to the insurance industry––but ranked only 37th in quality of delivery. Don't you think it is time we did something?
  • Louis S... Jeremiah 2012/07/12 23:36:58
    Louis Shipman
    First off the number of uninsured Americans that the administration has put out is greatly exaggerated. Hence the fact that when the debate started Obama put the number around 20million and then the number keeped growing with every speech.

Secondlyyes the system we have does have it's problems. But if you think that replacing it with a bunch of goverment burueacrats is going to fix it then you should take a good look at the VA system and see how goverment pencil pushers can screw things up.
  • Jeremiah Louis S... 2012/07/13 00:47:49
    Jeremiah
    +2
    The number of uninsured did grow as more people were laid off in Bush's recession. The number 52 million might be conservative, according to WHO statistics.

The system we have does not have "problems." It is a disaster, the most expensive in the world by far and one of the least effective. I wonder what you would be saying if you were one of the millions who are still losing their coverage.
  • Louis S... Jeremiah 2012/07/13 23:14:00
    Louis Shipman
    I was when I was laid off almost four years ago.
  • Jeremiah Louis S... 2012/07/14 09:44:28
    Jeremiah
    And now?
  • Louis S... Jeremiah 2012/07/14 23:16:40
    Louis Shipman
    I'm working now and have insurance from my company. Been working there about 8 months after trying to start my own bussiness but in this economy that didn;t work so well. That's the real way to handle the problem by putting people back to work. I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones who have been able to find a job.
  • Jeremiah Louis S... 2012/07/14 23:20:28
    Jeremiah
    Good for you. Yes, you were lucky to find a job with benefits. I would like to see employment removed from health care coverage someday, so loss of a job won't mean loss of coverage. Of course, that would require single payer.
  • Lee Jeremiah 2012/07/15 06:34:30
    Lee
    +1
    That would also spark an interest in more free enterprise I suspect.

Plenty of people would like to go to work for themselves, but they don't want to leave an employer who offers good health care benefits.

If health care wasn't tied to employment, those people might just cut loose to go into business for themselves.
  • Jeremiah Lee 2012/07/15 18:16:26
    Jeremiah
    +1
    I believe you are right. I lived in a European country for a couple of years while on assignment, and they had single payer not tied to employment. People did not feel tied down to a job they hated, and more of them were willing to strike out on their own.

I thought the system was great, and I wish we could get our heads out of the sand long enough to join the 21st Century on health care.
  • Giantfan 2012/07/09 18:50:25
    Giantfan
    +4
    Any bets the whining starts over extending the taxcut for those making over $250,000. I can hear Fox, Hannity and Limbaugh now.
  • toni 2012/07/09 18:47:52
    toni
    +1
    We need to totally rewrite our entire tax code. To do that we need some real study done. Perhaps the government should make a few grants available to academic institutions. Somebody needs to look at the economic impact of any change being considered. To do it properly means making it a full time job for not just one person but many people. There needs to be more than one grant because if you give the grant to Wharton liberals would complain and if a grant went to Harvard conservatives would complain. Best bet is for the House of representatives to choose 2 schools. One school chosen by the republican caucas and one chosen by the democratic caucas. Any school chosen must have an accredited graduate level program in business or economics. We would probably need to allow 2 to 3 years for the studies to be complete. At the end of the period the two schools would get together and see how much they can agree on. Then they could submit a report to congress that shows the areas of agreement and issues on which they cannot agree. The report would explain the reasoning for the areas of agreement and the reasoning of each school regarding the issues on which they cannot agree.

In the meantime maybe we will have to keep all the bush era tax cuts but make other changes. My...

In the meantime maybe we will have to keep all the bush era tax cuts but make other changes. My choices are: make the medicare tax payable on all income both earned and unearned. Medicare tax should payable on income before any exemptions or deductions. Social Security tax should be payable on all earned income before exemptions or deductions. Increase personal exemptions from $3800 to $8000. Cap the mortgage interest deduction at $15000. Redefine capital gains so that the rate applies only to investments that provide US jobs - for example, you have investment income from a company that has 5000 employees but only 2000 of the employees pay income tax in the US then only 2/5 of that income is considered capital gains. The rest is ordinary income. Allow no deductions for money given to charity by corporations or individuals.
  • Jeremiah toni 2012/07/10 17:38:44
    Jeremiah
    +3
    Here's a better idea. Make payroll taxes cover all income, not just the first $105,000.

Here's another better idea. Allow the Bush cuts expire for anyone earning more than $250,000. They still get a cut for earnings up to $250,000, but anything above that figure returns to 39.6%. That is where it was during the Clinton years, the longest period of economic growth in the nation's history.
  • America... Jeremiah 2012/07/10 19:21:57
    American Patriot Justice is Serv
    +2
    and keep raising it. people who earn over a million pay even more, and people who earn over five million pay even more, and people who earn over ten million pay even more and so on. there should be no upper limit where you get off cheap just for having so much.
  • Jeremiah America... 2012/07/10 20:06:21
    Jeremiah
    +2
    I think you are on to something.
  • beavith1 2012/07/09 18:01:46
    beavith1
    +1
    no. we all get the same treatment. he doesn't get to pick and choose who he likes.

tax fairness is an oxymoron if OBAMA decides what's 'fair'.

he's president, not king.

2014/08/23 13:40:50