RAVE THIS IF YOU THINK THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR PROTECTING PEDOPHILES.

Mary Mary 2012/11/29 03:13:51
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EDITED VERSION OF WHAT WAS BROADCAST ON 3AW ON 9TH JULY, 2012.

THE MAN'S NAME HAS BEEN OMITTED FROM THIS EDITORIAL, AS HE CANNOT BE NAMED IN NEW SOUTH WALES FOR LEGAL REASONS.

This time last week Four Corners ran a sickening story about a paedophile priest who was protected by the Catholic Church and is still being protected by the Catholic Church.

Sexual assaults against altar boys in Moree, Narrabri and Parramatta which led to the suicides of several victims.

It has now embroiled the Archbishop of Sydney George Pell, the Secretary-General of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, Brian Lucas, the Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Sydney, Monsignor John Usher and the Vicar-General of the Armidale Diocese in New South Wales, Wayne Peters.

One name not mentioned in any of the reports is the paedophile priest. On Four Corners he was referred to as ‘Father F’ because his name was suppressed when he appeared in court in 1988 charged with six cases of sexual intercourse without consent and five counts of indecent assault on a child. The charges were dismissed by a magistrate whom I understand had known ‘Father F’. for a long time and, in my opinion, should have excused himself.

The Catholic Church hired one of the best and most expensive QCs in Australia, Chester Porter, for a lowly Magistrate’s hearing in Narrabri, and a jury never got to hear the victim’s graphic evidence because the Magistrate said any jury would believe a Catholic priest, with no prior convictions, over a ‘wayward youth’.

I now know a lot more about Father F. And so should you.

The paedophile priest’s name is NAME OMITTED.

He now lives in NSW.

He’s still living a good life, untouched by the law, even though several of his victims killed themselves before they reached 30. I tried to phone him yesterday. Got his answering service which told me that his mate Mike was holding a State of Origin football party and advising Queensland supporters to ‘bring their own beer and their own meat’.

Life is good for a child molester who has been protected by the Church for 30 years. He was first accused of sexual assault on an altar boy in 1983 - and the Archbishop was told about it. He was charged in 1988 but not defrocked until 2005 – only seven years ago.

And all those Catholic heavies I mentioned earlier are still covering up for NAME OMITTED. I have copies of the documents which show several of them guilty of what I believe are criminal cover-ups and several of them lying about it even now. I’ll explain why next.

In 1992, nearly ten years after the church hierarchy was first notified of NAME OMITTED sexual abuse of altar boys, the priest was called before a three-man Church tribunal.

I have seen a report of the proceedings. The meeting was held inside the Presbytery at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney on Thursday, 3rd September 1992 and lasted from 7:40pm until 10:30pm.

Confronting NAME OMITTED were three members of the Australian Catholic Bishops Special Issues Resource Committee. The men I mentioned earlier: Lucas, Usher and Peters.

I believe that what they heard then should have sent them straight to the Police. It didn’t. And some of their recollections now are simply not true.

Lucas said on radio, the day after the Four Corners revelations, that NAME OMITTED ‘made no admissions of a specific nature. He was very careful about not naming any names and, on that basis, we didn’t have anything we could take to Police.’

A spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Sydney sung form the same hymn book. She said: ‘Monsignor Usher has confirmed his recollection that Father F made no admissions of criminal conduct.’ And speaking on Four Corners, from the Vatican, Archbishop Pell backed them up.'

When told NAME OMITTED had admitted in court that he’d confessed at the 1992 meeting to having oral sex with young boys, Pell condescendingly said he’d ‘take the word of three priests against that allegation’.

What’s not commonly known is that yet another alleged victim wrote to Pell himself in 2002 detailing the abuse he had suffered under NAME OMITTED. Pell said he did not have authority over the priest and referred the complaint to the father's diocese.

While Lucas, Usher and Pell say there was no criminal conduct admitted by NAME OMITTED, the third tribunal member, Peters, actually put it in writing to a Bishop in NSW. He wrote:

"He admitted that there had been five boys around the age of ten and eleven that he had sexually interfered with in varying degrees in the years approximately 1982 to 1984 while he was the assistant priest at Moree."

With two other boys, according to Peters’ letter to Bishop Manning: ‘ He admitted that over a period of approximately 12 months he fondled the genitals of each of these boys and to quote “sucked off their dicks”. As far as NAME OMITTED can remember this was done on about a monthly basis over a period of twelve months.’

None of the Church hierarchy thought this constituted criminal behaviour that should have been reported to Police. They obviously still don’t. It’s a bloody disgrace.

Footnote: Buried away near the bottom of that damning letter is, to me, a clue as to why they might not have alerted the cops. The Rev. Wayne Peters warned that ‘in the present climate in Australia, the media and public in general are more inclined to publicise, highlight and pursue the matter of a priest offending sexually against children than the situation of a layperson offending.’

That would reflect badly on the Church. We must hide it. Forget about the victims. Remember, this was five years after I went to jail for naming that paedophile Catholic priest Father Michael Glennon.

He now lives in NSW.

He now lives in NSW.

The paedophile priest living the good life, untouched by the law
Posted by: Derryn Hinch | 9 July, 2012 - 3:42 PM

He now lives in NSW.

Footnote: Buried away near the bottom of that damning letter is, to me, a clue as to why they might not have alerted the cops. The Rev. Wayne Peters warned that ‘in the present climate in Australia, the media and public in general are more inclined to publicise, highlight and pursue the matter of a priest offending sexually against children than the situation of a layperson offending.

• cheetahlover156 2012/11/29 22:57:20
    They need to be held accountable
    cheetahlover156
    +7
    How can they live with themselves for protecting perverts that prey on young kids? Yet they call gays perverts.

• Ethan Owens 2014/08/19 05:50:10
    They need to be held accountable
    Ethan Owens
    The Church needs to be abolished, they have brought nothing but abuse and misery to the world.
  • Bocephus 2012/12/10 02:26:12
    They need to be held accountable
    ...and not just keep transferring the miscreants around.
  • michael 2012/12/02 03:21:15
    They need to be held accountable
    michael
    +2
    Of course ,and so should anyone who protects them,church,sports clubs,police,family members etc
  • Jayne 2012/12/01 15:29:14
    They need to be held accountable
    Jayne
    +2
    They hid it and protected it. Now they should pay for it.
  • XZQZQ 2012/12/01 04:27:25
    Other
    XZQZQ
    Sure, hold the Catholic Church accountable. At the same time, hold the K-12 public education system accountable, for their MUCH larger problem...
  • Mary Mary XZQZQ 2012/12/01 22:48:14
    Mary Mary
    What is their problem?
  • lowcountry70 2012/11/30 23:46:28
    They need to be held accountable
    lowcountry70
    So do the Boy Scouts
  • Mary Mary lowcoun... 2012/12/01 22:48:26
    Mary Mary
    Yes I agree
  • WinterLynn 2012/11/30 22:16:48
  • santa6642 2012/11/30 21:13:14
    Other
    santa6642
    Nope......
  • Tiger Lily santa6642 2012/11/30 22:15:14
    Tiger Lily
    I guess you think that perverts are acceptable as priest. A pervert lover.
  • Ace Magoomba 2012/11/30 20:01:22
    They need to be held accountable
    Ace Magoomba
    +1
    No claim of immunity - what has happened is immoral - pointing to the arrogance and hypocrisy from the top down
  • Wulfdane 2012/11/30 19:59:16 (edited)
    Other
    Wulfdane
    +1
    Anyone who commits pedophilia should be held accountable, regardless of their profession or ideological/religious beliefs.

In saying that, per capita Catholic Priests have lower incidents of pedophilia than the general population. Statistically home is the most likely place for a child to be sexually/physically abused.
  • lm1b2 2012/11/30 16:34:17
    Other
    lm1b2
    NO,DAU!
  • Squatch 2012/11/30 15:26:13
    They need to be held accountable
    Squatch
    +1
    They will be accountable by the God they supposedly serve.
  • Tiger Lily Squatch 2012/11/30 22:17:50
    Tiger Lily
    +1
    They need to be accountable legal ly to the country and the fanily that they broke the law in. They committed heinous crimes against humanity, they need to be judged here.
  • Squatch Tiger Lily 2012/12/01 13:16:20
    Squatch
    Agreed - but is anyone really being held accountable in America anymore?
  • Tiger Lily Squatch 2012/12/01 16:44:23
    Tiger Lily
    I have not heard anything for a very long time. I do know there has been some cases in S. America and Malaysia and in Europe and Ireland that are still ongoing. The issue is that the parishes are filing bankrupcy, so the victims are not getting any money at all.
  • Squatch Tiger Lily 2012/12/03 13:45:42
    Squatch
    Sad - it shows why Americans are afraid of the current political environment - where the GOV is trying to seize so much power. The Catholic Church is just another example of how absolute power corrupts absolutely.
  • Tiger Lily Squatch 2012/12/03 18:56:54
    Tiger Lily
    +1
    very true.
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2012/11/30 15:16:49
    They need to be held accountable
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    Who would vote Other?
  • hippycat 2012/11/30 13:00:54
    They need to be held accountable
    hippycat
    +2
    That's absolutely appalling. A similar case happened in Ireland about a year ago. I think what we know is just the tip of the iceberg. With the current pope, I doubt there's much hope for change. Rave, rave, rave!
  • Dave In Cali 2012/11/30 12:10:07
    They need to be held accountable
    Dave In Cali
    +1
    In my radical opinion, I think that church should be eradicated by fire. Then again, I tend to think that way about all religions.
  • hippycat Dave In... 2012/11/30 13:07:25
    hippycat
    +1
    radical but effective.
  • Tiger Lily Dave In... 2012/11/30 22:18:42
    Tiger Lily
    +1
    I totally agree. Put an end to the evil
  • dvd 2012/11/30 11:35:15
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/11/30 10:26:07
    They need to be held accountable
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    Anyone who protects those type of people should be accountable.
  • clasact 2012/11/30 10:10:21
    They need to be held accountable
    clasact
    +4
    The Catholic church has so much power and money it belives it can do anything it wants.I think it rather funny they can condem same sex marrage,the use of condoms and other things but yet they still cover up pedopiles
  • Chukroast 2012/11/30 08:42:46
    Other
    Chukroast
    I think the individuals who committed the crime and any church staff that tried to cover it up should be punished. Suing the Church itself is taking a lot of bucks out of good charitable causes.
  • Tiger Lily Chukroast 2012/11/30 22:19:43 (edited)
    Tiger Lily
    The church itself does not donate to charity. But those who committed the crimes and the pope himself need to be tried in courts of law.
  • Katherine 2012/11/30 07:19:56
    They need to be held accountable
    Katherine
    Absolutely. Catholic Church, public education, Boy Scouts, psychiatry, and our own government! (Pedo Protection Act.) Did you know public education had about 290ooo cases in a DECADE??!!?!?! This is just inexcusable. The children are our future. How did this happen? We as a society have a responsibility to protect our kids and need to clamp down on immorality. Look what's happened over the last century! Society is totally out of control!
  • art1ej 2012/11/30 07:10:18 (edited)
    They need to be held accountable
    art1ej
    +1
    The fact that alot of the churches know that their priests are raping children & just moving them to another church is sick & the church,the priest should all be held accountable.....

the fact some idiots here are saying men who rape boys are gay is a total lie..gay & being a pedophile is two different things & gay males only make up 2%-7% of actual molestation cases against boys...
    http://www.robincmiller.com/g...
  • Tiger Lily art1ej 2012/11/30 22:20:19
    Tiger Lily
    +1
    exactly
  • art1ej Tiger Lily 2012/12/01 20:11:30
    art1ej
    I know :)
  • jorge0214 2012/11/30 06:58:07
    Other
    jorge0214
    we are tired of all the excuses of attacking the church.
    and just for kicks how come we never here much about the protestant church issues?
    there is that Babtist pastor in Atlanta having sex w/ numerous 'boys' yet they settled and he is still on the job- 10,000 plus go there every Sunday
  • Tiger Lily jorge0214 2012/11/30 22:21:29
    Tiger Lily
    Nice attenmpt to minimize the heinous crimes in the catholic church. There are millions of victims all over the planet and all you can do is try and point fingers in another direction.
  • jorge0214 Tiger Lily 2012/11/30 22:57:15
    jorge0214
    There is more sex going on at a Baptist summer camp than anywhere in the True Church of Christ.
    The real issue is the right-wing war on Catholics.
  • Tiger Lily jorge0214 2012/12/01 16:46:41
    Tiger Lily
    +1
    What ever you want to believe. There were over a million victims in the Catholic church and more cases are still ongoing. That is what we were discussing here.
    There has been child abuse in many organizations and I am not doubting that at all.

The fact that the catholic church has never truly taken the right steps to deal with the issue is reprehensible.
  • hatter 2012/11/30 06:50:46
    Other
    hatter
    The priests should be burned at the stake. What a disgrace to christianity

2014/10/02 14:46:55