Rave this if you think it's easier to get a gun than it is to get healthcare.

Tudie BN 2013/01/09 18:02:44
Related Topics: Gun, Healthcare, Questions

Welcome Friends to Tudies Questions ! Thanks for your reply ! : )

• Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2013/01/09 23:35:34
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +11
    Healthcare is pretty easy to get. Walk into the ER. Non-Emergency care just requires money or insurance. Sometimes you dont need any money at all. The worst part is usually the waiting time or the bill after treatment.

However, to get a gun, you need the money, jump through every legal loophole out there and so on. Some people cant get a gun because of the legal requirements, unlike healthcare.

• ☠Marz555☠ 2013/01/15 01:38:22 (edited)
    ☠Marz555☠
    It's actually much easier to get a gun than to get effective mental health counseling that would prevent one from using that gun on oneself... Or others.

Granted you could just go to some hospital or cop and tell them your plans of what you would do with the gun you purchased... And then you would get that quality "institutional authoritarian" mental health treatment that the government is so hopped up on.... A paper robe, ankle cuffs and lithium.
  • Alvin 2013/01/14 01:31:11
    Alvin
    Sick, isn't it?
  • santa6642 2013/01/12 04:58:34
    santa6642
    To much BS involved trying to get what is a right a firearm, health care , all you have to do is give the oprovider a blank check.,
  • Osama McDonalds 2013/01/11 22:15:29
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    My next door neighbor has an a freakin arsenal of (legally purchased) guns and I'm sure if I walked over there right now and offered him a reasonable dollar amount, he would sell one to me. Then again, a person can get preliminarily approved for a pre-paid healthcare plan online these days so...maybe they are pretty close in easy of obtainment. But the similarities stop there because you don't have to pay monthly to own the gun or go in for an exam if requested.
  • YouSirName 2013/01/11 19:33:57
    YouSirName
    +1
    It's certainly cheaper
  • MBSVirginia BN-2 2013/01/11 16:48:49
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    +1
    At least for now, I still can get good healthcare. It wont be that way for long so I imagine getting a gun will be a lot easier soon.
  • Glfer65 2013/01/11 16:38:32
    Glfer65
    +1
    With over 30 million people who have no insurance the ratio is pretty high to guns vs healthcare.
  • joseph digristina 2013/01/11 11:58:08
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/11 16:51:33
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    Our founding fathers were oafs? With Americans like you, no wonder our country is in decline. Your statement is indicative to the decay of our society within the democratic party.
  • joseph ... MBSVirg... 2013/01/11 20:22:19
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/14 21:29:59
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    That wasn't all of our founding fathers and, furthermore, they didn't know any better. Just like anything, we have evolved and obtained more knowledge. Just a matter of interest, however, we still use leaches in the operating room!
  • joseph ... MBSVirg... 2013/01/14 21:58:32 (edited)
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/14 22:14:43
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    Well, I'm not a "tea tard" whatever that is. I am , however, a fiscal conservative and I am supporter of the second amendment rights for all Americans. I love this country and I am VERY proud to be an American. What a wonderful country we have and I pray we will survive the next 4 years under this administration.
  • joseph ... MBSVirg... 2013/01/14 22:38:10
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/14 23:33:43
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    That is a matter of opinion and survival doesn't necessarily refer to life. Of course we will live through it, but what will our quality of life be like at the end of his 2nd term? I happen to think, and it is just my opinion, that we will be living on much tighter budgets with little to nothing in savings and our IRA's will not be worth the paper they are written on.
    BTW, how much did your paycheck go down after 1/1/13? Mine went down by $77.00 per week.
  • joseph ... MBSVirg... 2013/01/15 19:43:37
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/17 16:40:38
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    I wasn't a Bush supporter either. I lost a TON of money when the market dropped and over half of my IRA was gone. That was years worth of investing. I voted for Obama in 08 believing in the "hope and change" mantra. Well, you get what you wish for, good or bad. I have regretted my decision since Obamacare was forced down our throats and prayed we could vote him out this time around.
    Sorry, I don't fit into your stereotype of who I am.
  • joseph ... MBSVirg... 2013/01/17 20:26:13
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/17 20:41:45
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    LOL!!!! You know what they say about opinions!
  • joseph ... MBSVirg... 2013/01/17 21:05:06
  • MBSVirg... joseph ... 2013/01/17 21:18:23
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    +1
    I suppose it takes one to know one! Thanks for the discussion, peace.
  • roxie 2013/01/11 10:50:23
    roxie
    +1
    Sad But True!
  • Cliff 2013/01/11 09:41:54
    Cliff
    +1
    As time goes by, I expect healthcare and guns will become more difficult to get.
  • AL 2013/01/11 07:50:46
    AL
    +2
    If I'm not mistaken, we all have the right to buy either one or both of them!
  • YouSirName AL 2013/01/11 19:35:52
    YouSirName
    +1
    And if you buy a gun, you are more likely going to need healthcare.
  • S* 2013/01/11 06:22:50
    S*
    +1
    Nice pull.
  • Patriotic 2013/01/11 05:44:40
    Patriotic
    +2
    Anyone who thinks it's difficult to get a gun in this country needs a reality check.
  • atomikmom 2013/01/11 04:51:07
    atomikmom
    +2
    It is hard as Hell to even see a good Doctor let alone get good affordable insurance these days. I am a Retired US Navy Nurse from Vietnam and i see our healthcare going down the Tube. Quick like.
  • Capitalism4life 2013/01/11 02:54:24
    Capitalism4life
    +3
    Guns are expensive. Obama Care is free. LOL
  • MBSVirg... Capital... 2013/01/11 16:53:02
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    Free to whom? We're paying for it through higher taxes. Do be fooled by the smoke and mirrors.
  • Tastentier 2013/01/11 02:01:30
    Tastentier
    +2
    Assuming that you can pay for both, I'd say it is much easier to get health care. And if you expect to get either for free, it's probably *still* easier to get health care.
  • OA 2013/01/11 01:49:59
    OA
    +2
    All you need to do to get healthcare is not work. Guns cost money.
  • roxie OA 2013/01/11 10:52:10
    roxie
    +1
    Wow where do you live?
  • OA roxie 2013/01/12 00:08:43
    OA
    In a country where I pay for other people's healthcare.
  • Joves the Instigator 2013/01/11 01:10:30
    Joves the Instigator
    +2
    Well considering that the HC system is at the mercy of the government, insurance companies, and medical conglomerates it is impossible to get reasonably. Hell I can get a gun anywhere in Arizona, and I do not even have to go to a store either, all I have to do is look in any classified section.
  • darthtbone 2013/01/11 00:57:16
    darthtbone
    +2
    All you have to do is act like either you're on welfare, or in the country illegally and they will throw healthcare at you.
  • YouSirName darthtbone 2013/01/11 19:37:52
    YouSirName
    That is so untrue, I have to think you were trying to be sarcastic. If not, you need to try to get an appointment without health insurance sometime.
  • darthtbone YouSirName 2013/01/11 21:17:58
    darthtbone
    I worked in a hospital for nearly ten years. What I saw was, a) if you don't have money or insurance show up at the hospital and they will diagnose you and give you meds, just leave and don't pay the bill. b) if you have insurance and they don't pay for a procedure, the hospital tacks on another 100%.

I have seen elderly medicare recipients have out of pocket expenses in excess of $900 and an able bodied young man flash a medicaid card and get his prescription for $1.

So no, I am not really being sarcastic.
  • Osama M... darthtbone 2013/01/11 21:59:21
    Osama McDonalds
    LOL. I've been through the county health care system here in L.A. in the past when I was unemployed and broke and it was far from a walk in the park like you described...even for the welfare and illegal aliens. Getting the paperwork was relatively easy and getting proof that I was unemployed was a little harder but the type of healthcare and the service was simply nightmarish. I broke my wrist one day and had to go to emergency at the main county hospital...IT TOOK 14 HOURS for them to see me! And my follow up exam? 9 Hour wait time. My final exam? 7 HOUR WAIT TIME..and that was WITH an appointment. Most of the doctors that I saw in the hospital were interns or freshly minted residences and I never saw the same one twice in my 3 visits there.

Maybe things are different where you are at but here in L.A....'free' medical insurance for welfare or the poor is scary. If I would have had the cash at that time, I would not have thought twice about paying cash for quality medical care. Thank goodness I'm on a plan now.

Get this, on one of those long waits, i was talking to this nice lady sitting next to me who was also waiting...and my jaw dropped when she told me she was an LVN nurse. Thats right, she was an LVN who was working for a company that did home care for the elderly but they only employed via contract so they did not offer medical insurance.

That's pretty freakin bad when a LVN (nurse) has to go through the county system to get health care.
  • darthtbone Osama M... 2013/01/12 12:44:58
    darthtbone
    +2
    I'm sure things are different all over. That's just been my own experience and what I've seen.

Healthcare is and will continue to be a mess. It's only going to get worse. This is something I could go on about all day. For one thing, our system is currently set up to where you either have to be on an insurance plan or on a social program. Look at a hospital bill and the break down. You have a $1,000 procedure and the hospital gives the insurance company a $600 discount. If you were cash pay it would be the full $1,000.

Then, of course, there is the current mentality of our culture that all ailments should be cured with no patient responsibility. A person has a health problem because they are overweight and doctor will toss it in, "you need to lose weight" and the response is usually, "no really, what are you going to do?"

But regardless, the subject of this thread is a red herring. I just don't buy the idea that we can't ID the mental cases, because it's a violation of their privacy. So we must stop all people from own firearms (yes there are those people, it may not be your stance, but it's out there). The government reads our email, watches what websites we go to, records our phone calls, and film us about our days. But when it comes to checking to see if someone is ...

But regardless, the subject of this thread is a red herring. I just don't buy the idea that we can't ID the mental cases, because it's a violation of their privacy. So we must stop all people from own firearms (yes there are those people, it may not be your stance, but it's out there). The government reads our email, watches what websites we go to, records our phone calls, and film us about our days. But when it comes to checking to see if someone is bipolar before OKing a gun purchase, they're concerned about privacy? Come on.

Since we're going down this road, poverty has more to do with crime than gun ownership. Desperate people do desperate things. The guy that picks up an AR-15 is going to spend $1,000+ for that firearm. He's not likely to go on a rampage or crime spree, the numbers just don't support that.

Personally, I would go for the following:

- Mental history check for firearm purchase.
    - If someone is diagnosed for mental illness, they need to be flagged and made to follow up.
    - If they don't they need a visit from the police.
    - A "driving test" so to speak for ownership. One for long gun and one for handgun. You pass the test, you're good. This means being able to properly carry, draw, hold, fire, load/re-load, disassemble/re-assemble the weapon. They also need to be able to shoot. I would set up a Hogan's Alley Lite range and specifically put a bystander behind one or more of the targets. If you hit the target but also hit the bystander. Sorry.

Finally, I would institute what I call the a**hole doctrine. I got it from my local PD. There was a road range case a few years ago. Where a woman shot a man in the chest. Her story was that he was harassing her on his motorcycle and his was that she was tailgating and cursing him. At a light, he dismounted his motorcycle and approached the vehicle. Her story was that he was threatening her, his was that he was ever so politely asking her to stop tailgating him. Regardless, he got a bullet in the chest.

During the PD's investigation, they found that the lady had been involved in several confrontations where police were called. In all of these cases, this woman pulled her weapon. Someone asked her to quiet down in the movie theater? She pulled her gun. Someone cut in the grocery line? She pulled her gun. She even pulled her piece at a Tee Ball game. Regardless of guilt or innocence in the shooting the PD pulled her carry permit.

If on your way to work, you run into an a**hole, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole.

Anyway, have a good day.

2014/10/30 13:11:56