Rave this if you don't want the Tea Party terrorists revising history!

The Wrong Guy 2012/07/05 04:33:28
Man....seriously. F*CK the Tea Party.

stupid teabagger

A little more than a year after the conservative-led state board of education in Texas approved massive changes to its school textbooks to put slavery in a more positive light, a group of Tea Party activists in Tennessee has renewed its push to whitewash school textbooks. The group is seeking to remove references to slavery and mentions of the country's founders being slave owners.

According to reports, Hal Rounds, the Fayette County attorney and spokesman for the group, said during a recent news conference that there has been "an awful lot of made-up criticism about, for instance, the founders intruding on the Indians or having slaves or being hypocrites in one way or another."

"The thing we need to focus on about the founders is that, given the social structure of their time, they were revolutionaries who brought liberty into a world where it hadn't existed, to everybody -- not all equally instantly -- and it was their progress that we need to look at," Rounds said, according to The Commercial Appeal.

During the news conference more than two dozen Tea Party activists handed out material that said, "Neglect and outright ill will have distorted the teaching of the history and character of the United States. We seek to compel the teaching of students in Tennessee the truth regarding the history of our nation and the nature of its government."

And that further teaching would also include that "the Constitution created a Republic, not a Democracy."

The group demanded, as they had in January of last year, that Tennessee lawmakers change state laws governing school curricula. The group called for textbook selection criteria to include: "No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership."

The latest push comes a year after the Texas Board of Education approved revisions to its social studies curriculum that would put a conservative twist on history through revised textbooks and teaching standards.

The Texas revisions include the exploration of the positive aspects of American slavery, lifting the stature of Jefferson S. Davis to that of Abraham Lincoln, and amendments to teach the value of the separation of church and state were voted down by the conservative cadre. Among other controversial amendments that have been approved is the study of the "unintended consequences" of affirmative action.

The board approved more than 100 amendments affecting social studies, economics and history classes for Texas's 4.8 million students.

The influence of the amended textbooks will likely reach far beyond the state of Texas. The state is one of the largest purchasers of textbooks, and many other states adopt Texas's books and standards.

The curriculum changes were pushed through by a majority bloc of conservative Republicans on the Texas school board, who have said the changes were made to add balance to what they believe was a left-leaning and already-skewed reflection of American history.

"There is some method to the madness besides vindicating white privilege and making white students feel as though they are superior and privileged and that that it is the natural order of things," Gary Bledsoe, president of the Texas State NAACP, told The Crisis magazine last year about this time. "The agenda being pushed and the ultimate impact intended is to make young people automatically identify with one political party."

A number of groups, including the NAACP, the Texas League of United Latin American Citizens and the Texas Association of Black Personnel in Higher Education have joined forces to beat back the measures, which they said would have a negative impact on minority children.

The groups sought a federal review of the state's public education and have raised claims that the Texas State Board of Education has violated federal civil rights laws. In a formal complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education, the groups charge that the new curriculum was devised to "discriminate."

The measures went as far as to replace instances of the trans-Atlantic slave trade with "Atlantic triangular trade."

"It is going to be extremely psychologically harmful to African-American young people because they are marginalized in the curriculum," Bledsoe said. "It will require them to be taught things such as the benevolence of slavery and the problems with affirmative action rather than the good and the bad."

"They voted down a motion that requires students to be taught about the terrorism brought about by the Ku Klux Klan and what they did to ethnic and racial minorities, but they turn around and pass a provision that requires the teaching of the violence of the Black Panther Party."

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/23/tea-party...

• Jester M.S. 2012/07/05 04:36:31
    Nah, I'm comfortable with the Tea Party changing history to suit their politi...
    Jester M.S.
    +36
    I agree with some of their ideals and disagree with others, about like any other political movement. They get especially ostracized by the media for some reason, whereas equally aggressive grassroots movements on the opposite side of the political divide draw almost no notice.

• JL The Wro... 2012/07/05 19:07:37
    JL
    +5
    HEY, WE'RE "RAVING YOU TO THE TOP. HUH?"
  • Charles E The Wro... 2012/07/05 20:37:42
    Charles E
    +2
    It may be a dream world but it beats heck out of your reality.
  • txDON'T... The Wro... 2012/07/06 00:32:57
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    Just like your thumbnail; W R O N G Wrong
  • txDON'T... BUCCANE... 2012/07/06 00:31:22
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    You have reached the reached
  • activ1 2012/07/05 16:18:14
    Yes indeed, f*ck the Tea Party
    activ1
    +3
    Aside from their misguided ideology, my biggest problem with the "Tea Party" is their false belief that they are somehow more patriotic than everyone else. Hell, some of them even have the audacity to refer to themselves as "heroes", which is the biggest joke of all. They are no more patriotic than any other American, and they have never done a damn thing that would come close to being considered heroic. The "Tea Party" started out as a Libertarian movement, but it got taken over by a bunch of loud, middle aged, Republican religious fanatics in stupid costumes.
  • Michaelene activ1 2012/07/05 22:19:39
    Michaelene
    +4
    Not any more, my team is all in their early 20's, and they don't like the change and hopelessness of 40% unemployment and taxation for NOT buying something, or the EP for illegal aliens, or the SOPA/CIspa/ or the mandatory servitude in their schools. Just to name a few of their gripes.
    It's ironic, there are more people of color at tea party events than at OWS events :)
  • activ1 Michaelene 2012/07/06 03:39:11
    activ1
    +2
    That might be true for your own small group, but it certainly doesn't reflect the overall agenda of the "tea party" groups in general. They also don't like gay people, or women to decide what to do with their own bodies. They also want children indoctrinated into their religious ideology in public schools. Nice try, but all that talk of smaller government and lower taxes is just a smokescreen for a right wing religious fanatic agenda. I for one ain't buying it. Don't just take my word for it. Even one of the original co-founders of the "tea party" movement quickly became disenchanted.

http://ivn.us/2009/11/30/tea-...

Where did you get the data regarding the number of people of color at "tea party" events vs. OWS events? For that matter, why did you bring up race in the first place? I don't see why it's relevant to this discussion. :)
  • marylou5 activ1 2012/07/06 05:24:32
    marylou5
    +3
    Race is totally relevant since liberals have tried and failed to label the TEA PARTY as racist!
    You are aware of that fact!
    I never saw a black person in any OWS photos which means nothing I suppose
    except I, myself, never saw one...do I call OWS racist...of course not.
    I just wonder why not!
  • activ1 marylou5 2012/07/10 03:03:45
    activ1
    +1
    Just as I thought, you have nothing to back up your claims about the racial makeup of the OWS people vs. the "tea party" people. It is pure supposition on your part. You shouldn't make those kinds of claims unless you have actual FACTS to back them up. Besides, it's not like the "tea party" is exactly flooded with people of color either.

Like I said, I never mentioned a thing about race, and I still don't know why you went so far out of your way to make it an issue.
  • Michaelene activ1 2012/07/06 12:53:44
    Michaelene
    +2
    The "kids" in my group are from all walks of life, every color, race, gender, sexual preference, and political and religious or non religious/political. One thing in common is that they all want a Constitutional government, not the CRAP that is there today.

I think some are there just to piss of the people who try to pigeon hole the tea party, like you just did.
    Most of these kids have gone with me to visit both Occupy Philly and OWS. That's what really called them to action, ashamed of the gimme gimme of their generation. They don't want a handout, they want an opportunity!

They are against the government takeover of their life choices.
    The newest ones are especially upset of the Obama health tax plan.

BTW I've never met a "founder", my first rally against the spendalicious politicians was in DC against TARP!
  • activ1 Michaelene 2012/07/10 12:53:49
    activ1
    +1
    I'm not pigeonholing anyone. I am talking about the values expressed by the very people who have become "tea party darlings", like Sarah Palin, Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Michelle Bachman, etc. These are the types of politicians who are backed by the "tea party" people, and I am vehemently against them and their ideology.

The "tea party" people don't necessarily want a "constitutional government". They want a government that fits in with their own INTERPRETATION of the Constitution, and one that fits in with their ideology. They want smaller government, except when it comes to forcing their views on everyone else. Then big government is just fine. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

Like I said, your small group, even if it is what you claim it to be, is not necessarily representative of "tea party" groups in general. I work with several people who are involved with the "tea party" movement, and while they are friends, when it comes to the issues, they are full of crap, and just repeat what they hear on Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. Also, just because I don't care for the "tea party" people and their agenda doesn't automatically mean that I support the OWS people, and it would be an erroneous assumption on your part. I think the OWS groups are just as whacky as the the "tea party" groups.
  • txDON'T... activ1 2012/07/06 00:41:15
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +2
    Are you suggesting that our heroic forefathers were religious fanatics? If they had not done what they did do, where would YOU be today???
  • activ1 txDON'T... 2012/07/06 03:51:02
    activ1
    +2
    PUH-LEASE! First and foremost, don't you dare compare these "tea party" types to the founding fathers. Wearing silly costumes and holding up signs doesn't come close to putting them anywhere in the same leaugue as the founders. You've got to be joking!

Secondly, don't take your own interpretation of the founders intentions and twist it to fit your own ideology. The facts are that facts. What they "did do" is guarantee that we would not be a "Christian Nation", or a nation ruled by any other religious agenda by forbidding the creation of a State religion. The fact that they addressed this issue in the Very First Amendment says it all. The fact that they protected us from becoming a Theocracy proves that they were very far from being religious fanatics. Please don't bore me by bringing up what they wrote in their personal correspondence either. What matters is what was put on paper as the Constitution. They put their personal beliefs aside, and formed a secular document, that is the law of the land, wheher you like it or not.
  • marylou5 activ1 2012/07/06 05:18:56
    marylou5
    +2
    That's what liberals want the world to believe....not so!

TEA PARTY wears their patriotism for all to see. Why would that offend anyone?
    They sing the National anthem, pledge allegiance to the flag with their hands over their hearts, and fly their flag! They are not violent, nor litterers, nor usurpers of others property.
    They welcome all with the same values. They support candidates with their values.
    They refuse to let anyone take Christ out of Christmas or God out of our lives.
    They believe the Constitution is the law of the land. Why does that offend anyone?

If you don't want to own your patriotism and display it, that's fine...just don't criticize those Americans who do. They don't insist that you do.

They are not heroes, nor do they claim to be! They are your friends, your relatives, your neighbors simply wanting less government intrusion in their lives and more individual responsibility. They are offended that the government is saddling the next generation with trillions of dollars worth of debt. Why does that offend you?
  • activ1 marylou5 2012/07/10 14:07:03
    activ1
    +1
    Don't even try it! It's not "what the Liberals want the world to believe". It's what the world actually sees, and that's why the "tea party" is losing popularity every day. Your feeble attempt at presenting the "tea party" people as just a bunch of mild mannered, sweet natured people is a joke. You displayed who you really are when you exhibited childish, nasty, behavior at Town Hall Meetings across the country, and also at other "tea party" events. You display who you really are by urging your handpicked candidates to refuse to compromise, and to continue to keep anything from getting done in Congress. Even Reagan knew that the only way to get anything done was for these politicians to be willing to reach across the aisle and be willing to compromise.

"They welcome all with same values"? Yeah, and they absolutely hate anyone who doesn't share their values. You don't have to look any further than right here on SH to see "tea party" types constantly calling any person who dares to disagree with them about anything under the sun Communists, Socialists, Marxists, or something worse, and telling them that they hate America.

I "displayed" my own patriotism by serving my country in the Armed Forces, so I don't need to jump up and down and shout about what a super Patriot I am like the...

I "displayed" my own patriotism by serving my country in the Armed Forces, so I don't need to jump up and down and shout about what a super Patriot I am like the phony "tea party" types do. You DO think that the fact that you hold the views that you hold makes you people more Patriotic than everyone else, and you hear "tea party" types saying just that all the time, and yes, I find it very offensive.

I KNOW you are not heroes, but don't pretend that you don't see "tea party" people referring to themselves as patriots and heroes.

This claim of only wanting "less government intrusion in their lives and more individual responsibility", is just a smokescreen. You don't mind "big government" went comes to forcing your views on the rest of us. You have your own twisted interpretation of the Constitution, and that's what you want to be the law of the land. What you really want is to turn us into a right wing Christian Theocracy. Nobody is preventing you from going to Church, and exercising your right to worship as you please. This nonsense about "taking God out of our lives" actually means that you want to force your own religious views on the the rest of America. You have this erroneous ideological view that we are a "Christian Nation", and you believe that your religion should dominate the lives of every American. The rest of America is well aware of your real intentions, and THAT'S why we are offended.
  • belle 2012/07/05 15:42:30
    belle
    +20
    Gee anyone that has to uses the "F" word in his poll title tells me right away, he is a loser and so is his poll. Since you did and are a big loser, let me say it is your "F" paryt that is determine to change the past, Obama is already doing it and it is so wrong. I used the "F" word so you could comprehend what I was saying. The Teas Party is made up of decent people, to bad you cannot say the same about your demorat party.
  • Deere G... belle 2012/07/05 19:47:01
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +9
    Well said.......Thank you......I couldn't agree with you more.......it's the liberal progressives that are altering text books and attempting to change history........what jokesters........and imposters.....
  • belle Deere G... 2012/07/05 21:15:00
    belle
    +8
    thanks I was not happy when I found out what Obama was doing on the history of the past Presidents
  • Deere G... belle 2012/07/05 22:28:25
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +7
    He and the progressives are altering history as you and I were taught it....very sad that the liberal progressives are teaching our children in colleges and universities.......even in grade school.......many subjects that I was taught in school is non existent now.....we must take back control of our country.....
  • belle Deere G... 2012/07/05 23:26:08
    belle
    +6
    Rhings are done in school today that would have never been allowed when I was in school. The dress of todays time is not good either.
  • Deere G... belle 2012/07/06 01:33:50
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    I totally agree......I went with a friend to pick his daughter up from school just before the summer recess.....I couldn't believe the revealing clothing the young girls were wearing in Junior High......and all of the baggy pants young boys were wearing.....looked like slobs....
  • belle Deere G... 2012/07/06 13:30:47
    belle
    +4
    parents let them get away with it as well as the school. Just to sad
  • Deere G... belle 2012/07/07 00:57:56
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I Totally agree.....but our society plants the seed......and TV....our culture has truly degraded beyond belief......it's very sad and depressing......
  • belle Deere G... 2012/07/07 01:14:08
    belle
    +2
    the celebrities have not helped as role models.

not to change the subject, check out this poll
  • txDON'T... belle 2012/07/06 20:20:16
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +2
    You are so right about the dress 'code' of today Belle. Young women are irresponsible and suggestive and wonder why the young thugs are responding the way they do.
  • Charles E belle 2012/07/05 20:39:38
    Charles E
    +7
    You tell em girl.
  • belle Charles E 2012/07/05 21:15:19
    belle
    +5
    thanks
  • txDON'T... belle 2012/07/06 00:43:48
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +5
    Sister Belle Right on
  • Icono1 2012/07/05 15:30:06
    Icono1
    +17
    The socialists do it all the time so why can't the Tea Party do it.
    It is all part of changing reality to suit political needs and ideologies.

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Also Marx spoke to this phenomena when he wrote his "Theses on Feuerbach"

Where he stated that: " Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." K Marx
  • gfreeman BN-0 2012/07/05 15:19:48
    Yes indeed, f*ck the Tea Party
    gfreeman BN-0
    +3
    What exactly were the positive aspects of American slavery? That is about the stupidest statement I've ever heard.
    Also, part of being educated is the ability to understand both sides of a situation. Sure, Jefferson was probably one of the most intelligent men of his time but he also owned slaves. Glossing over the fact or ignoring it completely on the part of this group demonstrates a severe lack of emotional intelligence.
  • JL gfreema... 2012/07/05 19:08:59
    JL
    +9
    WHAT "EXACTLY" ARE THE POSITIVE PROSPECTS FOR AMERICAN "SOCIALISM"???
  • txDON'T... JL 2012/07/06 00:49:43
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +2
    Good Q! Deserves an answer too!
  • gfreema... JL 2012/07/06 13:26:35
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    You answer my question first. Also, this has nothing to do with your perceived socialization of this country.
  • Deere G... gfreema... 2012/07/05 19:52:11
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +7
    But who sold the slaves?.........They were sold by their own people..........Now I would strongly advise those who think they have it so hard and so terrible in this country, to return to their homeland and become some war lords sex slave. I haven't enslaved anyone, neither did my father or grand or great grand father......get over it and move on......hell we all have been persecuted in our life at one time or another.....heck the british kicked everyone's ass and took names later......I'm Irish.....do I hate the british?........Of course I don't....it was a blemish in our history and must never be repeated.......but we all have to forget and forgive or we're gonna live one helluva miserable lives......
  • txDON'T... Deere G... 2012/07/06 00:54:11
  • Deere G... txDON'T... 2012/07/06 01:36:35
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Loved Dale Carnegie......I took his course when I was 22 years old......an amazing course.......I recommend it to anyone....especially if they're in sales and PR.....
  • gfreema... Deere G... 2012/07/06 13:34:14
    gfreeman BN-0
    +2
    Now your just moving the goal post. While relevant to the discussion of slavery, it still does not change the fact that most of the founding fathers of this country owned slaves. Forgiveness is a great virtue, forgetting it ever happened and trying to sweep it under the rug because it fits your political agenda is a tragedy. Realizing that our own founding fathers owned slaves at the same time fighting for their own freedom is a topic that should be explored by our children in school. It shows them how dynamic this country really is.
  • Deere G... gfreema... 2012/07/07 01:06:02
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    No one is trying to sweep anything under the rug......slavery was a tragic time in our country that hopefully will never be repeated......just as persecuting the Irish, Italians and most of all the Native American.....if there's a minority that truly has griping rights, it's the native american......persecution of ANY people is awful......but by the same token, we must forgive and move on.......keeping it festering only breeds more bigotry and racism......no one prospers by it except for people like Louis Farakan, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson....their mere existence depends on keeping racism alive......they neither have contributed One Iota of a benefit to their people......only robbing them blind taking their money and further opressing their own people...
  • gfreema... Deere G... 2012/07/09 17:43:28
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    So, in your world, anything that could possibly bring up the discussion of slavery would be removed from textbooks and would not be taught in school?
  • Deere G... gfreema... 2012/07/09 23:24:48 (edited)
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I didn't say that...you did......history must be taught but teach ALL history.....not just excerpts that serves ones own politicall racist interests......not just the things that keep hatred racism alive just for their own economic interest.....keeping the country divided serves no one ...including you.......

2014/10/20 11:35:20