Rave This if You Agree. Why This Life Long Republican Will Be Voting for Obama.

joseph digristina 2012/06/26 01:33:40
Why This Lifelong Republican Will Be Voting For Obama
June 25, 2012
By

From guest writer, Phillip Geurtz

Some people can change.

For the first 15 plus years of adulthood I was a staunch Republican
supporter. Even as far back as the ’92 election, when I wasn’t old
enough to vote, I voted for Bush 41 in my high school mock elections. I
voted for Dole in ’96, Bush 43 twice in ’00 & ’04, and McCain in
’08. I’ve typically voted Republican in most off-year elections. I am
the son of a retired army Colonel. I was baptised by my Catholic uncle
priest and raised going to church every Sunday. I am a 36-year-old
hard-working white father of 3 from the south. I was the heart of the
GOP base for the last 15 years.

I will be voting for Barack Obama this coming November.

Not long after the Occupy Wall Street protests began, and 15 months
into my unemployment, I started to really pay attention to politics. I
did my own research, checked out sources when I had questions, and paid
attention to the news. I even went to my local Occupy demonstration,
brought my wife & kids, and listened to what they had to say. I
realized something in those early days of questioning my political
leanings. I realized that the ‘Trickle Down’ financial model our country
has used is fundamentally flawed and has been for nearly my entire
life. I’m not an economics major so I can’t tell you how its flawed, but
it is flawed. I look at most everyone I know and I see how hard they
are struggling just to live week to week, like me. I see friends
remaining unemployed for months trying to find something that pays
better than their unemployment benefits. My last two vacations were in
2007 & 2008 to take the kids to see the grandparents.

I was more of a fiscal conservative. I never subscribed to the social
conservative aspects of the GOP. I referred to them as those right-wing
nut jobs, even while I was pulling the same lever in the voting booth.
Now that I have renounced the party I’ve identified with for 15 years, I
find those same right-wing nut jobs horribly offensive to anything
Christian or even just decent in the world.

I used to say civil unions were good enough for the LGBT community.
All of the advantages of marriage without calling it ‘marriage.’ I had
no reason why I felt this way. I never considered myself a
discriminatory person, but I couldn’t bring myself to share the word
‘marriage’ with them. Then my wife and I made close friends with one of
her childhood friends, and his boyfriend. Over the last two years, this
couple has become our best friends. I see them make each other dinner,
go out together, and watch a horror movie together (not my cup of tea). I
see them hold hands, hug each other, and say “I love you, boo” more
than I tell my wife. I realized being gay isn’t a choice, it’s how my
friends just are. I also see how they pretty much love anyone they meet,
and whatever life issues you bring with you are perfectly acceptable.
If they can accept a middle-aged catholic republican army brat, I can
certainly accept them.

I see the Republicans blocking any move to improve the economy and
doing everything possible to rescind the rights of everyone other than
me. Abortion bill this, birth control bill that, voter
disenfranchisement, and the absolute destruction of LGBT rights. THIS IS
NOT WHY I VOTED FOR YOU!

After losing one job to some guy in Mumbai, India, losing another to
the Great Recession, I’ve come to realize that the Republican vision for
the country is geared toward one group of Americans, the 1% that has
all the money. The time of them feeding lies, discontent, and
of vilifying many of the freedoms this country should guarantee ALL of
its citizens is over. I DON’T BELIEVE YOU ANYMORE, REPUBLICANS and if I
have my way, no one I know will believe you either.

Now who can show me how to change my voter registration?

• DeeB 2012/07/01 02:08:41
    Disagree.
    DeeB
    +15
    I agree in getting out. but I totally disagree with going with democrat. That is the same exact thing. You need to be an independent. These people are working together taking orders from the powers that be. Both sides are taking our freedoms away and they all wrecked this country. you are fooling yourself if you think the dems are any different. But that is just my opinion, you can choose whatever you want and that is one freedom we still have, cherish it.

• bmovies60 2013/04/30 23:12:32
    I refuse to recognize that a Republican can change to a stinking Democrat.
    bmovies60
    The author of this article is a 100 percent fraud. He never was a Republican. Never voted for Republican. He's just yet another Democrat masquerading online as a Republican. To call him a RINO is disngenuous At least a RINO is an actually card carrying member of the party. He never was. Doing some google detective work reveals he's a leftist of the occupy wall street movement (more specifically the lexington, kentucky branch). This always happens in a presidential election year. Phonies like him come out of the woodwork, claiming to be lifelong Republicans who are dissatisfied with the Republican party and is voting for the Democrat candidate for the very first time. Yes, that does indeed happen. There are real life people who actually do this, BUT this particular guy isnt the genuine article.
  • joseph ... bmovies60 2013/04/30 23:53:37
  • Lordphoton999 *AFCL* 2012/10/15 03:39:43
    Lordphoton999 *AFCL*
    You do realize the sad state of the economy is brought on the the Democrats and worsened by Obama, if you want to debate it, I can show you facts after facts since the Carter era.
    And the Constitution has this build in safety to block a tyrant, 2010 is the year the American people raised up and stop the Obama's socialist agendas by electing a Republican House, yet the Lib-tards here call them Obstructionist, well, it is well within our Constitution to obstruct a tyrant like Obama.
  • Todayisgoingtobegreat 2012/09/12 18:16:42
    Why did this guy wait 15 years?
    Todayisgoingtobegreat
    +1
    Why should anyone care why and who he is voting with... It is not anyone but your owns business
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2012/09/12 05:10:27
    He's a traitor to the party.
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    We don't need A-Holes in the GOP party...........A-holes all belong to the DNC.........
  • joseph ... jumpboo... 2012/09/12 05:33:28
  • jumpboo... joseph ... 2012/09/13 02:00:43
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    Like yourself.........
  • joseph ... jumpboo... 2012/09/14 06:44:55
  • jumpboo... joseph ... 2012/09/14 22:38:19
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    Hey!!!!!!!!!! It's the WIPE........I thought, I flushed you.... jjj
  • rand 2012/09/12 01:04:48
    Why did this guy wait 15 years?
    rand
    +1
    My party abandoned me long ago and I'm proud to be a RINO (Reason Instead of Nutty Opinions.)

“I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass. “ Barry Goldwater

While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean pollution-free environment." Barry Goldwater

“You don't need to be straight to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight.” Barry Goldwater

“To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.” Barry Goldwater
  • joseph ... rand 2012/09/12 01:28:40
  • rand joseph ... 2012/09/12 04:26:43
    rand
    He lost influence when he lost to Johnson. He swore he'd never pander to the religious right and never did, but as they gained power, he lost his in the GOP.
  • joseph ... rand 2012/09/12 04:57:10
  • rand joseph ... 2012/09/12 14:50:51
    rand
    Probably. The parties have long history of assuming each other's causes given time and opportunity. Lincoln was Republican yet the Democrat Johnson got the Civil Rights Act passed. Republicans claim to be fiscally responsible but their/our history says otherwise. If the Dems PROVE with actions like Clinton's to actually be more fiscally conservative by effectively dealing with the debt.deficit issues, the GOP may be doomed. Social issues won't make the difference.
  • joseph ... rand 2012/09/12 15:33:46
    What rational person isn't voting for Obama?
    +1
    he is a man who finally sees the big picture
  • skroehr 2012/09/11 17:19:53
    Disagree.
    skroehr
    In all due respect, I believe a vote for Obama is a vote for the end of constitutional representative democracy. In short, and end to the United States as we know it. I'm sure you disagree with that. You've got yourself convinced of a lot of things that I just don't see. It is an opinion web site, and God bless you, everybody has an opinion, and a vote. I'm sorry to hear how you will be choosing to use yours. Here's hoping that a Euro-Soviet style system of government can't be implemented in just 4 more years.

I support your right to your feelings, your vote, and your use of Sodahead to spread your opinions. I don't support your opinion.
  • joseph ... skroehr 2012/09/11 18:59:46
  • skroehr joseph ... 2012/09/11 20:26:43
    skroehr
    Well, no, I believe and stand by my comment. When I speak of a President, I speak of their entire administration, not just the man. I understand how the 3 branches are supposed to work. I don't believe they are working correctly. And this President, (like the one before him), simply issues executive orders for anything he doesn't agree with congress on. In fact, one of his cabinet secretaries was able to publish a mandate connected with the Health Care act which is more intrusive and sweeping then most things that come from Congress, or even Presidential Executive order. (I know it's still working it's way through the courts, and won't land on the supremes for another year or two. I know my post is on the cynical side, and I really wish I didn't feel this way, but I do. I don't trust that a second term Obama can be hamstrung, and sat on strongly enough by the other branches to protect our system of Government. There is way too much much weight being given the executive branch, (and has been for 16 years, on a progressive basis). I pray you're right about impeachment, and that we don't just go gentle into that good night, but I fear that our legislative branch are beginning to succumb to executive override. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best. I love this country, an...
    Well, no, I believe and stand by my comment. When I speak of a President, I speak of their entire administration, not just the man. I understand how the 3 branches are supposed to work. I don't believe they are working correctly. And this President, (like the one before him), simply issues executive orders for anything he doesn't agree with congress on. In fact, one of his cabinet secretaries was able to publish a mandate connected with the Health Care act which is more intrusive and sweeping then most things that come from Congress, or even Presidential Executive order. (I know it's still working it's way through the courts, and won't land on the supremes for another year or two. I know my post is on the cynical side, and I really wish I didn't feel this way, but I do. I don't trust that a second term Obama can be hamstrung, and sat on strongly enough by the other branches to protect our system of Government. There is way too much much weight being given the executive branch, (and has been for 16 years, on a progressive basis). I pray you're right about impeachment, and that we don't just go gentle into that good night, but I fear that our legislative branch are beginning to succumb to executive override. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best. I love this country, and I want it to work. I've been watching it slide downhill for two double term Presidents (one of whom may not have actually won the election for even his first term in point of fact), and one term of a President with no regard for our system of Government at ALL. The fact that more folks aren't a bit more cynical is kind of flabbergasting to me. It is a sign of an active and increasingly successful propaganda machine.
  • red 2012/09/11 00:36:54
    Disagree.
    red
    First let me say, my daughter is gay. Gay rights is an issue for the states NOT the federal government. This is only one issue, and shouldn't change you into a Democrate. I don't vote party, I vote for the one I think is most qualified. So here are my reasons why you should NOT vote Democrat.... While Obama blasted Bush over the war, he also voted to fund that war with the proviso that Kenya received some of that funding. LOOK IT UP, I DID. I did research Obama's "jobs bills" which Harry Reid put a stop to in the senate in 2011... I voted for Obama as my state Senator and waited to see his votes in the senate. After researching his votes, I watched all the debates; and knew he was just saying what he thought Americans wanted to hear. I voted for Hillary, and you can see where that went. I would have voted for Santa Clause after reading his senate record and the bills he voted on.
    Let’s see, Obama wanted to lower the national debt, it’s now over 16 trillion. Obama wanted to lower the price of gas when it was at 2.50 a gallon, it’s now at $4.14 (today) in Illinois. Obama wanted to close the loop holes in the "TA" programs. Not only has he NOT done that, he's just signed a 'TA' bill with Brazil and Columbia. Obama was going to post the bills on the internet before they were sign...
    Let’s see, Obama wanted to lower the national debt, it’s now over 16 trillion. Obama wanted to lower the price of gas when it was at 2.50 a gallon, it’s now at $4.14 (today) in Illinois. Obama wanted to close the loop holes in the "TA" programs. Not only has he NOT done that, he's just signed a 'TA' bill with Brazil and Columbia. Obama was going to post the bills on the internet before they were signed so his office could be transparent, yet he gave illegal’s amnesty without a vote. How about using his office to protect what happened with ‘Fast and Furious? How many vacations have the Obama’s had while he’s been in office while Americans are suffering? 23 million Americans un-employed or under-employed…Lets not forget the 750 billion Obama took out of Medicaid to fund Obama-care...Maybe if Obama knew how to lead, OUR senate would compromise, but even some Dems can't agree with his policies.
    Clinton lied just as much as Obama did. Maybe he should have talked about the de-regulation of big banks like his repealing of the Glass Stiegel act. You know, the act which protects Americans from big banks stealing your 401K? And Obama's jobs bill, you know the one Harry Reed stopped in Congress in 2011? Or maybe Billy should have talked about him signing NAFTA into effect, and the "TA" bills Obama has signed to send more American jobs off shore?? Oops, I already said that:( Maybe we should talk about Obama's Executive Order to give Russia access to Uranium?? I could go on, but I think you have the jest of my meaning..
  • joseph ... red 2012/09/11 03:40:45
  • red joseph ... 2012/09/11 04:57:57
    red
    Are you kidding? More than half your answer was about gay rights. Tell the married gay people that their marriage is a sham and doesn't mean a thing. What makes you think Obama cares about gay rights? He says "anything” that will help him get re-elected. What has he done in the last four years to help gay rights? Why should our kids be taught about gay history? If you want them to know; why can't parents have a choice of what to teach them? Does being gay recognize the fact that Obama is still signing the "TA" bills which send American jobs off-shore? (Gay and straight.)

The Republican Congress didn't stop Obama's job bill, Harry Reed (the dem from Nevada) did, but we can both agree that this congress is a sham. I, as a republican do NOT appose your right to adopt or any other right you have mentioned...

Obama had a chance to stop the Bush tax cuts and did NOTHING. (BY the way I didn't vote for Regan or either Bush.) I only apposed part of Obama care and if you read it, you would appose it too...As for "Fast and Furious", your telling me a boarder patrolman didn't get killed by weapons Americans gave/sold to the cartel under Eric Holders watch? As for voter ID laws, how do these people use their bank/credit card if they don't have an ID? What's wrong with showing it when t...

Obama had a chance to stop the Bush tax cuts and did NOTHING. (BY the way I didn't vote for Regan or either Bush.) I only apposed part of Obama care and if you read it, you would appose it too...As for "Fast and Furious", your telling me a boarder patrolman didn't get killed by weapons Americans gave/sold to the cartel under Eric Holders watch? As for voter ID laws, how do these people use their bank/credit card if they don't have an ID? What's wrong with showing it when they register to vote?(Another non-issue unless your trying to defraud.)

I got most of my information by reading Obama's Senate record, and listening to all the 2008 debates. I didn't get it from my "Republican friends", and while I'm spewing all these lies maybe you should know one of Obama's (135) Executive Orders gave Russia access to Uranium. You know, the guys who threatened to put nukes in Cuba? So being gay is a non issue when Americans have to worry about WWIII...
  • joseph ... red 2012/09/11 05:08:04 (edited)
  • red joseph ... 2012/09/11 05:40:05
    red
    LOL, that's funny comming from someone who asked for an opinion then refuses to do the research to find the truth.
  • joseph ... red 2012/09/11 05:42:57
  • red joseph ... 2012/09/11 05:56:24
    red
    LOL, Your delusional, but I love you any way!!
  • joseph ... red 2012/09/11 07:16:19
  • red joseph ... 2012/09/11 07:52:11
    red
    LOL, I haven't heard that in awhile. Cute. SWAK!!
  • joseph ... red 2012/09/11 19:01:31
  • red joseph ... 2012/09/12 02:46:06
    red
    No, actually; I went to bed.
    I met Obama and Michelle in Libertyville Illinois when he was running for the Senate. He is a very eloquent speaker, and I made the mistake of believing him and voting for him. When I was off work, I researched the bills he signed. I watched him run in 08 and heard all his speeches. If I hadn’t looked up his senate record, I would have been as gullible as the rest of the people who believed him. Americans needed the “hope and change” because we were suffering. I didn’t vote for him, because I knew he was lying through his teeth. I hope Americans can see him for the liar he is…I would vote for anyone rather than let him get away with ruining America any more...SWAK!!
  • joseph ... red 2012/09/12 03:11:48
  • red joseph ... 2012/09/12 03:43:00
    red
    Here look up his senate record yourself.
    http://votesmart.org/candidat...
    Still love you Joseph:)
    I don't pay attention to polls. If someone asked you who you were voting for would you tell them the truth? No one I know has been called...
  • joseph ... red 2012/10/02 04:35:23
  • relic 2012/09/10 22:01:14
    Disagree.
    relic
  • No One 2012/09/10 18:58:52
    Agree.
    No One
    +1
    I love this.
  • mac9 2012/09/10 16:56:13
    Disagree.
    mac9
    Are you serious? LMAO......
  • joseph ... mac9 2012/09/10 18:23:35
  • relic joseph ... 2012/09/10 22:02:19
    relic
    You mean like yours, right?
  • joseph ... relic 2012/09/11 03:52:01
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/09/10 15:01:56
    Agree.
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    This is funny, in many ways it mirrors my own political journey. With a few details being different.

I am a Navy brat, both my parents very conservative Republicans. I was also raised Catholic and forced to go to church every Sunday. I couldn't wait to register to vote and did register as Republican.

It didn't take me 15 years to discover this was a mistake. This wasn't who I am and their beliefs did not mirror my own. I changed my voter registration and been happy with my decision since.

2014/09/01 18:51:19