Rave if you disagree with the following quote!

kir 2012/07/10 22:38:53
"...sometimes we have to give up our freedoms for the benefit of all who live in a society."

This is something someone said to me during a discussion on government and freedom.

Read More: http://politicoid.blogspot.com/2012/04/government-...

• Rusty Shackleford 2012/07/10 22:51:32
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    Rusty Shackleford
    +9
    People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
    -Benjamin Franklin

• kir Sodahea... 2012/07/11 16:32:19
    kir
    Except you don't need to give up your freedom for that. Just because someone is free to do something, doesn't mean that they will do it. How many people still steal, murder, rape, assault people, and drive at high speeds? Quite a few, only now we have a massive police force that can also abuse people.

Well, I'm not surprised, spoken like a true member of the Obsidian Order.
  • Sodahea... kir 2012/07/11 16:38:28
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +1
    I'm just a tailor.
  • kir Sodahea... 2012/07/11 16:39:29
    kir
    Star trek references and humor; that's what makes life worth living.
  • Alexis82 2012/07/11 15:53:57
    Alexis82
    Talk about a trick question
  • kir Alexis82 2012/07/11 15:54:57
    kir
    +1
    It's not a trick question at all. Many many people have argued that if you give up freedom in return for safety then you deserve and gain neither.
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    +1
    For those who choose to be protected instead of being free Deservr neither Freedom or Protection.-Semi-quot of Frank;in
  • Charge 2012/07/11 14:48:34
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    Charge
    +1
    Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
    Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson
  • ChrisK1969 2012/07/11 14:18:51 (edited)
  • susan 2012/07/11 13:06:24
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    susan
    +2
    That said, too many of us are afraid to stand up for freedom, for liberty and for justice. We have so distorted the rule of law that anyone who speaks out faces attack and ruination by the other side. Most people fear to do so, even to defend someone else who has stood up.
  • JDreDaCookieMonster 2012/07/11 11:36:12
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    +1
    If you feel that safety is more important than freedom, will you be my slave??!
  • rex 2012/07/11 10:28:24
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    rex
    +5
    With Freedom Comes inherent Risks, I will accept the Risks.
  • Running with ✄ 2012/07/11 06:50:33
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    Running with ✄
    +1
    I disagree with the quote
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    +1
    To relinquish our freedoms is to admit to defeat of our core principles.

NO I do not agree with the quote.
  • Janoy Davis 2012/07/11 05:42:08
    Janoy Davis
    I gave up my freedoms when I joined the military, but I dont really miss them that much. During basic training, I figured out thing at the price of freedom was freedom itself. The thing is, we are never truly "free". We are bounded to this earth by gravity; we are force to breathe oxygen to live to die in the end...Well the only true freedom is death itself. An individual is not a society, but a society is made up of individuals. But each individual has certain "rights", true, but rights are power. Quoting many people (fictional and nonfictional) -"with great power comes great responsibility". Just because you have the rights doesn't mean you have to use it stupidly. We live in a society of where your actions may have a direct or indirect effect on others around you. Golden rule "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself". Some people fail to do that because they have "rights" and they can do whatever they want. People like them *cough cough Westboro baptist church cough* should receive the same dirty treatment they give others. What I'm trying to say is think before you speak; think before you do; just think. Because you, an US citizen, have great and powerful rights given to you by our founding fathers and who have gave up their own rights so that you may have your own today from service; now my plea to you is use those rights wisely and dont become blinded by drunken stupidity coming from your own hubris of the individuality complex.
  • kir Janoy D... 2012/07/11 11:14:41
    kir
    +1
    Well, I consider that a little different because you're risking your own freedom to protect another person's freedom and safety.
  • Janoy D... kir 2012/07/11 11:59:14 (edited)
    Janoy Davis
    I wish I could say the same, but I feel that most of freedoms have been taken from me when I signed to joined. During my job training, one of the books classified me as "property and equipment of the US Government". I am an indentured servant bounded to the constitution and the officers appointed over me. Though I am a piece of property *sigh* I am proud to serve this great nation and its people. I will continue to do so for the next 20 years of my life. My 1st and 4th amendments are nonexistence, so I am liable for what I say. Most civilians fail to see that part of the military or any high office government agency. My fellow citizens fail to see that you have it good; to me, your an Eagle high in the sky while I'm a caged song bird. But this song bird will continue to sing so that the eagle remains flying. And when I finish my song, I too will get to soar. In the end, you are free for as long as you feel free. I feel free because I feel free (but highly cautious).
  • ktmg 2012/07/11 05:26:25
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    ktmg
    With Freedom, we can determine our own level of safety. As individuals we will all have a different opinion of what that is.
  • amazinggrace 2012/07/11 05:21:29
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    amazinggrace
    +2
    rather live free than to die in chains
  • Lady Wh... amazing... 2012/07/11 14:06:18
    QamvIs Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq pus...
  • john doe 2012/07/11 04:57:32
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    john doe
    The government is definitely not "safety" with their overspending, corruption and foreign policy.
  • urwutuis 2012/07/11 04:29:50
    urwutuis
    +2
    You first have to define freedom because in order to live in a group you have to give up certain freedoms. That's why there are laws.

Freedom is selective and hypocracy reigns supreme.
  • ZERO 2012/07/11 04:16:42 (edited)
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    ZERO
    +1
    A society without freedom isn't worth a damn.
  • Janoy D... ZERO 2012/07/11 05:46:45
    Janoy Davis
    +1
    A society with freedom is not a society at all.
  • ZERO Janoy D... 2012/07/11 06:36:41 (edited)
    ZERO
    I'm not talking about anarchy, I mean a society with meaningful personal freedom, where you can live your life as you see fit so long as your're not harming anyone. A society that doesn't have that doesn't deserve to be dignified with the term society, it's a nothing but a cage for your soul.
  • Janoy D... ZERO 2012/07/11 08:23:23
    Janoy Davis
    +2
    I truly understand were you are coming from, but meaningful personal freedoms will never exist on this world, just like TRUE communism will never come true due to our innate human desires. Example: one person thinks they have the right to smoke, while someone else who is breathing in the second hand smoke says they have the right to breath clean air. You see, such things will never truly happen, but it never hurts to dream. To me, I accept this fact of that I am not free, and my personality usually puts others before myself. I am not truly selfless, but I am less selfish than others. Some people are just selfish. It is sad of what we have done to ourselves. I have given up on the whole freedom deal because it is an ever so eluding dream that gives us hope. I go to work, sleep, eat, and the occasional play. The cycle of life that is set for me and many others like me. We must move on with our lives so that in the end, when we meet our maker, the ultimate freedom may greet us.
  • ZERO Janoy D... 2012/07/11 18:54:06
    ZERO
    I think it's good to remember that our maker has given us total freedom right here and now. It is only other humans that try to restrict that freedom. You are so free that you can choose bondage, but you don't have to. Personally I don't have a problem with making reasonable accomidations to facilitate good relations with others, but make no mistake - I do what I want.

They call you selfish when you please yourself rather than pleasing them, but who's more selfish, the person who does what he wants or the person who demands that you do what he wants?
  • Janoy D... ZERO 2012/07/11 23:26:00
    Janoy Davis
    This is why I have given up on "freedoms" and opted for benefits and securities. I dont have to deal with that "who's right" game. I shut up, do my job, and move on with my life doing so.
  • ZERO Janoy D... 2012/07/11 23:47:14
    ZERO
    I feel I should point out that benefits and securities are a product of freedom, slaves don't have that, they have whatever their master chooses to give them, usually next to nothing. Only when you have the option to leave do they have to entice you to stay. I'm not saying that you should be a pain in the ass at work, sure, keep your head down and plug away. But realize that without the basic rights and freedoms you have nothing.
  • natwebb 2012/07/11 03:59:01
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    natwebb
    +3
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • charles_1 2012/07/11 03:48:58
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    charles_1
    +2
    Reasonable people can have both freedom and the benefits of society. But reasonable people are in short supply these days.
  • Peacock 2012/07/11 03:46:06
    Peacock
    +1
    Equally important..you are not FREE, you ARE unsafe. You are UNSAFE..you are not free. To me it sounds like someone who is brainwashing a personal agenda for Communism.
  • cynsity 2012/07/11 02:49:30
    cynsity
    +1
    Actually the quote is very acurate and can be found in the theory of the Social Contract as writen by Roussue.
    However he was not talking about FREEDOMS he was talking about freedoms... aka we have to allow for some rules if we are going to live together.

For example if you did not live in a society you might choose to run around everywhere naked. you have that freedom but in a society there are rules which strip you of that freedom to be naked in public. This rule however doesn't actually strip you of any FREEDOM you can still travel and go places you just have to wear a rain coat.
  • kfallslady 2012/07/11 02:38:42
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    kfallslady
    +3
    I will never give up my freedom. God Bless America
  • rocat 2012/07/11 02:35:29
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    rocat
    this...
    is a common modern myth-
  • Space Invader 2012/07/11 01:57:30
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    Space Invader
    +3
    Let freedom ring!!!
  • Studied 2012/07/11 00:41:47
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    Studied
    +1
    Without freedom you will forfeit safety.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/07/11 00:35:18
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +3
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

If we use our imagination and our wits, there are ways to ensure security as much as possible without unduly sacrificing freedom.
  • kir KarenIn... 2012/07/11 00:37:46 (edited)
    kir
    +1
    True, I should have worded the answers differently. It probably have reduced the undecided votes. Though that's sad is only 9 people raved this. Meanwhile "what did derpina do this week" would get hundreds of raves.
  • john Kills 2012/07/11 00:30:12
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    john Kills
    +3
    I'll worry about my own safety. I don't ask police or goverment to protect me.
  • T A 2012/07/11 00:19:22
    Freedom is more important than safety.
    T A
    +2
    No doubt said by someone who would use force to make you give up your freedoms. It's the guilty pleading of the authoritarian trying to hide his weapon.

2014/10/25 12:11:59