Rave if you believe in "One Nation Under God"!!

Deputy Chief 2012/09/08 23:40:28
Democrats at the convention clearly voted "No" to God
Republicans believe in "One Nation Under GOD"
Other, Please explain:
During the DNC, there was an obvious oposition to including God in their convention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPbd4UOjXe0

• Scalded Eagle 2012/09/09 15:41:45
    Other, Please explain:
    Scalded Eagle
    +53
    All of the above, the Dems clearly voted to oust God from their platform, they are are clearly a split party, All Christian Democrats will have a choice to make, God or Obama. Great Post DC.

• Omni JET 2012/09/13 04:53:15 (edited)
    Omni
    +3
    Do you not understand the concept, "Separation of church and state"?
  • JET Omni 2012/09/13 20:05:56
    JET
    I do understand the concept, but who provides the moral compass? I am not suggesting a state church as in the church of england. I do believe that freedom to worship as one chooses is essential to freedom and liberty.
  • Omni JET 2012/09/13 20:08:09
    Omni
    Are you saying that only "under God" can one possess a "moral compass"?
  • JET Omni 2012/09/13 20:12:06
    JET
    Not nesessarily but it does provide a direction for those who are floundering without direction. A person may choose to worship a sock puppet, whaterver works for them is fine as long as they don't infringe on my rights.
  • Omni JET 2012/09/13 20:19:18 (edited)
    Omni
    I feel betrayed, as the Government I'm under recognizes an ideology that labels me as an outcast. Government should never pick sides when it comes to personal beliefs and views. Its only purpose is support this country's foundation; it's not a person, and shouldn't behave like one.
  • JET Omni 2012/09/13 20:22:39
    JET
    Your right, that's why it's your choice to worship or not. I live my life as a christian but do not practice it in a church. My choice, I'm glad we have a choice.
  • Grammar... JET 2012/09/14 14:37:11
    Grammar Freak
    Of course. And the DNC wanted to include people of ALL faiths & lack of faith(s) instead of blabbering on & on about a god that not everyone follows or believes in. The point is that there is no place for religion in politics. One's religion most certainly shapes one's opinions & therefore one's vote. However, it should not be included in a political platform or in government in any way other than protecting individuals' right to believe & practice as they choose.
    The Founding Fathers included the separation clause. Eisenhower & Congress amended the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 to include "under God." None of the Founding Fathers would have approved of that... as evidenced by the fact that the original pledge didn't include it.
  • JET Grammar... 2012/09/14 18:47:26
    JET
    Good info, thank you. I'm not suggesting that government practice a religion or choose who or what we worship, if at all. My interpretation of "Under God" is just that we have the right to choose a supreme being (or however you care to define it, if desired) to assist us in developing a moral compass. If one chooses to ignore the phrase "Under God", that too is their right. I take no offense with either choice. I just think it shows a basic christian attitude in how we are supposed to treat our fellow man.
  • Grammar... JET 2012/09/14 18:48:43
    Grammar Freak
    The phrase, in my opinion, should be removed. It goes against our founding principles.
  • JET Grammar... 2012/09/14 18:56:05
    JET
    I agree with your right to your opinion.
  • UnusualSuspect 2012/09/12 21:55:24
    Other, Please explain:
    UnusualSuspect
    +3
    One Nation Under Many Religions, and Many Gods, or No Gods...

(comes under Freedom of Religion, or freedom to not practice any religion)...
  • Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL 2012/09/12 21:36:02 (edited)
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    Our one nation under God is a mantra that should not be changed. That is Independent voice speaking not the Repubs.
  • Ledford Nancy~P... 2012/09/12 23:10:31
    Ledford
    +4
    I prefer e pluribus unum, which was our original motto. Changed to assist in combating the communism element during the cold war. Instead of having a motto that separates us why not go back to the one that unites us.
  • Nancy~P... Ledford 2012/09/12 23:16:58
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    One nation under god works for me.
  • Ledford Nancy~P... 2012/09/12 23:21:51
    Ledford
    +3
    I understand that but it is not about you. Think about us all. That is the point. You can believe in what you want but having that as our motto does not represent us all.
  • Nancy~P... Ledford 2012/09/12 23:34:46
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    I think it does
  • Omni Nancy~P... 2012/09/13 04:53:53
    Omni
    +1
    I'm not "under God." So NO!
  • Ninjaman Omni 2012/09/13 05:20:25
    Ninjaman
    the majority of the population in this country believes in a God. You dont have to say under God if you choose not to. no one forcing you. no one is forcing you to believe, thats your choice. but the majority doesnt seem to mind.
  • Omni Ninjaman 2012/09/13 05:28:55
    Omni
    +3
    Federal Government, as stated in the constitution, is to show no support or affiliation with religion. That is what this country was founded upon. Perhaps you'd be better off in a theocracy.
  • Ninjaman Omni 2012/09/13 05:39:34
    Ninjaman
    and perhaps you would be better off in a country where the majority doesnt believe in God. and as far the constitution, how many amendments have there been? 27? this is not the same country as when it started out. things change over time. the majority that believes doesnt mind. the minority that doesnt, seems to demand that we change things to suit them. no prayer in schools. happy holidays instead of merry Christmas. perhaps you would be better off in a place where they dont believe in God. Just as thought, how do you celebrate Christmas, which is celebrated as the birth of Jesus?
  • Omni Ninjaman 2012/09/13 05:50:49 (edited)
  • Ninjaman Omni 2012/09/13 13:43:11
    Ninjaman
    well this is a nation that celebrates Christmas which is obviously a Christian holiday. if you celebrate and get your paid holiday, etc, and you dont believe, then its rather hypocritical.
    and youre correct, its not a theocracy, but what it is is a nation where the majority of the people believe in God. we have to take smokers and nonsmokers into account, homosexuality, age and all kinds of things into account. in a nation where the majority are believers in God, that should be taken into account to.
  • Omni Ninjaman 2012/09/13 17:33:49 (edited)
    Omni
    Obviously? Christmas is only federal because of the culture surrounding it, not because of "Christ."

"and youre correct, its not a theocracy"

Then you've just answered your question! No theocracy, no acknowledgement of religion by the federal government.

P.S: The majority were Christians back in the late 18th century as well, when "separation of church and state" was formed.
  • Ledford Ninjaman 2012/09/14 04:16:00
    Ledford
    I have no problem with everyone being included, I do have a problem when people are excluded.
  • Ninjaman Ledford 2012/09/13 05:21:01
    Ninjaman
    it represents the majority of the country who do believe
  • Ledford Ninjaman 2012/09/14 04:19:04
    Ledford
    The majority believed in slavery at one time as well that never makes it right. It only shows ignorance.
  • Ninjaman Ledford 2012/09/14 12:40:56
    Ninjaman
    we arent talking slavery. no it wasnt right and i firmly agree with that. we are talking about someones faith. right or wrong, my faith isnt hurting you or throwing you into chains and whipping and beating you.
  • ZenerSix Nancy~P... 2012/09/13 04:43:48 (edited)
    ZenerSix
    +4
    If you can grasp the difference between right and wrong and you've studied the bible, then God should be the last guy you'd ever want to live under.
  • Onyx 2012/09/12 20:59:46
    Onyx
    +1
    Democrats believe in government, not God. They have become Godless people with slipping moral values. They have justified the murder of the unborn as a right and protection of their personal rights as their religion. It's sick!
  • smilinbobs Onyx 2012/09/13 02:44:54
    smilinbobs
    +3
    As politicians they should put government before religion. and as for your comment on abortion, Read your Bible some time and you'll find that life is not very precious to the God of the bible. Exodus 21:22-23 clearly says that a fetus does not count as a life, and according to God neither do slaves. Read your Bible if you are going to discuss Gods ways so that you know what you are talking about
  • Onyx smilinbobs 2012/09/13 20:14:42
    Onyx
    +1
    I have read the bible. Maybe you should try reading the New Testiment before you try to quote the bible. See there was this little thing called the birth of Jesus Christ that changed things a bit. DUH
  • Ledford Onyx 2012/09/14 17:30:15
    Ledford
    I love it when that argument comes out about a new testament. Let me get this straight, an all knowing god had to make a second edition because he got the first one wrong? Oops! Or was it just that people evolved so they had to change the story. Time for the new new testament.
  • Onyx Ledford 2012/09/14 18:26:16
    Onyx
    No, not at all. Old testament and the New testament are a fulfillment of eachother. To fully understand one you must read the other and not take passages out of context to attempt to prove a point. God doesn't change, He is a just judge and all forgiving at the same time. The New Testament is not a second edition it is a completion.
  • smilinbobs Onyx 2012/09/18 13:27:55
    smilinbobs
    Onyx, I love biblical discussion and I have read the Bible cover to cover and continue to study it. The new testament however biblically speaking is not really a fulfillment of the old testament. First try to find anywhere in the old testament that God rewards man's evil deeds with forgiveness for all. Like when men killed his son he rewards mankind with eternal forgiveness. In the OT find where God is not jealous and wants to share his power and glory with another. Find in the OT where God changed and became forgiving and kind. The God that bore Jesus is a different God than the one in the OT
  • Onyx smilinbobs 2012/09/18 13:34:28
    Onyx
    The reason that you don't find everything in the OT is because the NT is the FULFILLMENT of it. I thought that was pretty clear.
  • smilinbobs Onyx 2012/09/18 17:20:46
    smilinbobs
    If you read both stories in their entirety you'll see that they are two completely different stories that don't belong together. If nothing in the first leads to the second in is not a sequel it's a different story. The OT was written by prophets in real time. The New Testament was written in a different language by unknown authors, long after the point in history had past with no reference material about Jesus because none of the historians that lived during the time of Jesus wrote anything about Jesus or anyone of his description. No historical evidence supports the NT.
  • Onyx smilinbobs 2012/09/18 18:03:24
    Onyx
    Oh my. Why would the NT be a rewrite of the OT? They WERE written in different times and I never said that the NT was a sequel of the OT. the definition of fulfillment is........1. To bring into actuality; effect: fulfilled their promises.
    2. To carry out (an order, for example).
    3. To measure up to; satisfy. See Synonyms at perform, satisfy.
    4. To bring to an end; complete.
    With this definition FULFILLMENT is the correct word to use when talking about how the OT relates to the NT.
  • smilinbobs Onyx 2012/09/18 20:51:28
    smilinbobs
    I am interested in knowing how if the OT doesn't have anything to reference to the NT you can say that it fulfills the OT. Where does the OT say that God will share power and glory with a son? Where in the OT does is say that God will have a son and sacrifice that son so that humans can have eternal forgiveness for their sins. The OT never says those things. The OT never says anything about God changing the laws that were laid out in the OT. It doesn't say that God is sending his son in the flesh for mankind to murder then he will offer us forgiveness in the sons name. That is not the God of the OT
  • Onyx smilinbobs 2012/09/18 21:50:56
    Onyx
    It doesn't have to.
  • daver Onyx 2012/09/15 19:46:37
    daver
    Where do you get the idea that this is exclusive to Democrats? Rush Limbaugh? I'm a Democrat, I believe in God and go to church every Sunday and then some. Many people I know are also Democratic, and are very religious. My family and friends are also. I think what Jesus taught is more representative of what the Democrats do, than what the Republicans actually do. Jesus spoke many times about helping the poor, the sick and disadvantaged . The Republicans just blame the poor for being so, (as if people choose to live in hunger and degradation) and refuse to help the sick who can't afford healthcare, and would rather let them die than to give them a hand. They believe in government too . Especially to give huge amounts of money to the rich at the expense of the poor and drive the lower end of the middle class into poverty. They love low wages and unemployment as long as it increases productivity. Though they claim otherwise when trying to get your vote. Whenever a Republican gets into the Whitehouse, poverty levels go up. The opposite for Democrats. I agree that abortion is wrong. But at least Democrats don't lie about what they are for. And Democratic programs that help pregnant teens and the poor, actually reduce the number of abortions. The republicans don't think it's wo...
    Where do you get the idea that this is exclusive to Democrats? Rush Limbaugh? I'm a Democrat, I believe in God and go to church every Sunday and then some. Many people I know are also Democratic, and are very religious. My family and friends are also. I think what Jesus taught is more representative of what the Democrats do, than what the Republicans actually do. Jesus spoke many times about helping the poor, the sick and disadvantaged . The Republicans just blame the poor for being so, (as if people choose to live in hunger and degradation) and refuse to help the sick who can't afford healthcare, and would rather let them die than to give them a hand. They believe in government too . Especially to give huge amounts of money to the rich at the expense of the poor and drive the lower end of the middle class into poverty. They love low wages and unemployment as long as it increases productivity. Though they claim otherwise when trying to get your vote. Whenever a Republican gets into the Whitehouse, poverty levels go up. The opposite for Democrats. I agree that abortion is wrong. But at least Democrats don't lie about what they are for. And Democratic programs that help pregnant teens and the poor, actually reduce the number of abortions. The republicans don't think it's worth the cost. Republicans just give the right to life groups lip service to get the religious vote. To me they are just hypocrits. They could have tried at least to pass a constitutional ammendment defining life (which there is none now) as beginning at conception and lasting till natural death. Then it would not matter what judges are on the supreme court. It's plainly written in the Constitution and they couldn't judge it any other way. (Their sole job is to interpret and uphold the Constitution). It would be immediate and complete. For 6 yrs under Bush the Republicans had both houses of Congress and the Whitehouse. Did they even try this? No. Why put to rest a divisive issue that has given them so many votes for 40 yrs.? They know appointing conservative judges will never permanently solve the issue. It won't solve it at all. The rulings on it have set a precident after all these years. And even if, through some miracle republicans accidently, after many decades, got in enough conservative judges and they did overturn Roe vs Wade, it would just be left up to each state to decide. Since the majority of the electorate are for free choice, (especially upper class women including Laura Bush , and most of the woman of the Republican party as well. Not just the democrats) the killing will continue. We have become a spoiled and privileged society with too much wealth at the top, (and among those who govern us), and a deteriorating moral compass, especially when it comes to anything that requires character, responsibility , and sacrificing for others. The pill has allowed more promiscuity, and immorality, without any consequences or responsibility. But when things go wrong, and an unwanted pregnancy happens, we rationalize that it is not really human life even though we know.. it is living... and will inevitably grow to be a life as we know it. So they selfishly abort their baby and go back to "having fun". So what is the answer ? How in a democratic government do we get the majority of the electorate to become moral , responsible citizens who will vote for life and not sacrifice it out of convenience..., and put the definition of life into their Constitution? I guess we can only take the example of Jesus and try to love everyone and to guide and teach those who have gone astray. And try to win hearts and minds as they say. Jesus didn't try to put all sinners in jail or strike them down. You can't force, or legislate morality . Just love, teach, and be an example to all. Or Maybe it will take something more drastic like us losing all our great wealth and prosperity to regain our character and a moral compass again. Like another Great Depression. I hope not. But like Jesus said , " It is easier for a camel to enter through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God". That saying alone makes me leery of the party who represent the top 1%.

2014/10/22 12:29:18