RAVE and SHARE if you believe in limited Government. "The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining or aiding them in their pursuits" Thomas Jefferson

CAPISCE 2013/01/24 14:12:16
Rave and Share Limited Government
The Government should take care of the people
"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining or aiding them in their pursuits" Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson Quote on Limited Government Drink Coasters

• Haole 2013/01/24 14:18:59 (edited)
    Rave and Share Limited Government
    Haole
    +9
    OH MY that's a GOOD one. I'm surprised (and ashamed) that i never found that specific quote myself. I know I get my beliefs from writings, sayings etc like these but it's hard to pinpoint the specific quotation. It's like if you ask how you know that red is red. You don't know specifically where you found out but you know it's true.

• Jasmine 2013/01/28 07:17:20
    Jasmine
    This question is a perfect example of what is wrong with our political environment today. Only two answers that are diametrically opposed. Nothing in between, no give and take, no compromise, no trying to find balance. Very few things are this black and white.

There is a role for government and a role for regulation. That said, too much can be just as bad as too little.
  • GINGERBREAD 2013/01/27 23:28:05
    Rave and Share Limited Government
    GINGERBREAD
    +2
    This means that the government is to leave us alone, to figure out our own destiny. This means that the government, and any of it's many tentacles has to leave us alone. Now, what do we have? We have governments in the city, county, state and federal constantly on our ass about one regulation after another. Example: A town in Lousiana has fined a grocery store because that store is selling milk at a lower price. Lower price than WHO? Nobody knows, but the stroe was threatened with closure. A family in Santa Fe, New mexico was barred from cleaning up the property they had just bought, because of the water run to the RIO GRANDE. The property is 25 miles away from the Rio Grande. A store in Pennsylvania was invaded by the swat team from the FDA, because they were selling "RAW MILK". I can go on for days and I wouldn't even touch 1/8 of what these government is doing to us. Yet, no one seems to care, because it hasn't happened to them.
  • Tom Camfield 2013/01/27 21:46:59
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    There's a world of difference between an anarchy and a democracy.

Meanwhile, in 1775 our government--then loosely united colonies--quickly formed a standing army to "aid the people." And of course in our country's early years, the government was giving away 40 acres of land to homesteaders. The "I've got mine" sorts in this day and age, a good many having inherited family wealth, brag about making their own way. And when they talk about limited government they really mean any form of social security or health care coverage for the impoverished, ill and infirm . . . and they want restrictions removed on all forms of big business contributing to the destruction of our environment and our very planet. Many others would like to remove traffic laws against speeding and drunk driving, signal light cameras in school zones, etc.

Let's get real. The truth is that without some sort of birth control, we're going to need increasing government regulations to match the problems of a burgeoning population.
  • Thom Payne 2013/01/27 20:47:16
    Thom Payne
    +1
    So, you believe that government should be so small, weak and ineffectual that criminals and corporations can steal a persons money and there should be nothing they can do about it, right?

Really?
  • CAPISCE Thom Payne 2013/01/27 21:47:39 (edited)
    CAPISCE
    +1
    yep, Freedom, Liberty, Free will
  • Thom Payne CAPISCE 2013/01/28 12:08:26
    Thom Payne
    Which is why your political philosophy has a shelf life of about 15 seconds.
  • CAPISCE Thom Payne 2013/01/28 13:34:03
    CAPISCE
    +1
    It's lasted since 1776
  • Thom Payne CAPISCE 2013/01/29 04:10:57
    Thom Payne
    Really? After the age of the Robber Barons, We the People, changed that. You just want to have an aristocracy of wealth who can do anything they want and have their private police arrest you at any time for no reason.

That is why I keep telling you that people like you are the enemy.
  • CAPISCE Thom Payne 2013/01/29 12:09:43
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Nope, you and people like you want America run by socialism and tyranny
  • Thom Payne CAPISCE 2013/01/29 19:48:53
    Thom Payne
    No, you are wrong. I am not willing to give our country over to corporations who want to privatize profits and socialize losses, and then tell people who they can love, marry and what to do (or not do) in the bedroom.
  • CAPISCE Thom Payne 2013/01/30 13:06:32
    CAPISCE
    +1
    There ya go, your true colors----It's about the Gay thing
  • Thom Payne CAPISCE 2013/01/31 15:08:32
    Thom Payne
    ????? What is that supposed to mean?

What I was saying is that you support a government which interferes with the lives of humans while letting corporations get away with murder.
  • CAPISCE Thom Payne 2013/01/30 13:08:02
    CAPISCE
    +1
    I prefer greedy corporations over Gov control if I had to choose
  • Thom Payne CAPISCE 2013/01/31 15:09:12
    Thom Payne
    How about a government which supports your individual freedom and protects you though controls on greedy corporations?
  • James Adams 2013/01/27 20:06:01
    James Adams
    Government is to look after the country and all its citizens and people there!
  • CAPISCE James A... 2013/01/27 21:48:15
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Maybe Russia or Cuba---how dd that work out?
  • James A... CAPISCE 2013/01/28 17:55:11
    James Adams
    I am not talking about communism. I am talking about socialism which is different.
  • santa6642 2013/01/27 17:14:21
    Rave and Share Limited Government
    santa6642
    +2
    A small government is an honest government.
  • baby cakes 826 2013/01/27 17:00:02
    Rave and Share Limited Government
    baby cakes 826
  • Jane 2013/01/27 16:04:58
    Jane
    WE THE PEOPLE Thomas Jefferson live in different times, he could never have predicted today's world.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/27 16:06:24
    CAPISCE
    +3
    Bullcrap
  • Jane CAPISCE 2013/01/27 16:08:40
    Jane
    +1
    Of which, I'm sure you know much about.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/27 16:13:35
    CAPISCE
    +4
    Go ahead you trust the bought and sold moron politicians of today--I will stick with Jefferson
  • Jane CAPISCE 2013/01/27 16:21:51
    Jane
    I'm a fan of Jefferson also, but I live now.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/27 16:34:25
    CAPISCE
    +3
    So do his words
  • Jane CAPISCE 2013/01/27 16:42:06
    Jane
    I'm not a fan of following any one blindly.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/27 21:49:45
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Except Obama and the DNC---Good choice
  • Tom Cam... Jane 2013/01/27 21:53:30
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    That's for damned sure.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be in-fringed.”

None of our gun laws apply in any way to a well-regulated militia--which we don't need in the first place. The second amendment is completely outmoded and should be repealed.

To many of us it’s obvious that in the context of its time this amendment to the U. S. Constitution 224 years ago did not visualize today’s American society--especially such things as the now commonplace practice of carrying concealed handguns. Or of weapons designed for mass killings being in the hands of mentally-distrurbed children.

And the well-regulated militia that was the intent of this amendment did not envision the citiadel currently planned on an Idaho mountaintop by paranoid gun fanatics.

There was no standing army whatsoever in the colonies at the be-ginning of the American Revolution. It was colonial and local militias with a training tradition dating back to 1632 that first repelled the British Army. A bit later, a standing army under George Washington was formed from various militia units. Individual militias also were called up to assist this colonial army as the war proceeded.

A bit after the Revolution, in 1789, with the ty...

That's for damned sure.

A bit after the Revolution, in 1789, with the tyranny of the British king still fresh in everyone’s mind (along with lingering memories of the earlier French and Indian War)--and the standing army largely dissolved temporarily--the second amendment was written. Militias, sort of the National Guard of their day, were important as a protection against foreign invasion--mainly the likes of the English, plus ever-present mistrust of the French.

So here we are today with a country boasting (the last figure I can readily find) some 270,000,000 million civilian guns. And among our freely allowed organized religions is one which worships the gun as the supreme being--the NRA. We have 9,960 homicides by gun in a given year.

I truly can’t visualize in my mind just what sort of tyranny some guy with 30 guns in his house (recent drug-bust search in Seattle) is protecting himself against. Perhaps he had some vague concept of fighting off the forces of law and order working hard to protect the multitude--and perhaps some of his weapons will end up the hands of the seriousl disgruntled. I do know that any of us (including our children) can be shot dead most any day in a primary school, movie theatre, shopping mall--or my stray bullets on the streets of such cities as Chicago, Seattle and others.
  • Jane Tom Cam... 2013/01/29 14:13:48
    Jane
    Our schools no longer teach the truth of the past. It is very scary here in Texas just what they do teach their children and the hatred is dangerous.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/29 15:40:05
    CAPISCE
    +1
    You don't like it move, try Russia
  • tjohn6763 Jane 2013/01/28 03:23:33
    tjohn6763
    +2
    Right,where people expect someone to take care of them
  • Jane tjohn6763 2013/01/29 14:10:31
    Jane
    Mostly the people who can't take care of themselves. Like the thousands of defective people brought into this world unwanted.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/29 15:39:19
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Cry me a freaking river---- there are millions on a waiting list to adopt
  • chucky 2013/01/27 14:02:54
    Rave and Share Limited Government
    chucky
    +3
    ''As government expands,liberty contracts'' Ronald Reagan.
  • Jane chucky 2013/01/27 16:06:24
    Jane
    Government expands with population, common sense.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/27 16:07:01
    CAPISCE
    +4
    That;s absurd
  • Jane CAPISCE 2013/01/27 16:09:18
    Jane
    Tell me how that is absurd.
  • CAPISCE Jane 2013/01/27 21:50:36
    CAPISCE
    +2
    If you don't know there is no sense wasting my time on a Socialist
  • Jane CAPISCE 2013/01/29 14:15:09
    Jane
    Really that all you have, were you educated in Texas or something?
  • Katherine 2013/01/27 13:39:45
    Rave and Share Limited Government
    Katherine
    +3
    I think there's a lot of deceiving progressives on here that are covering their identity. 70% liberals and 22% "progressives" said the government should take care of the people?

2014/08/23 15:23:01