Rand Paul Tells Newsmax Why He Now Backs Romney

safari 2012/06/11 20:21:51
I see
I Agree
Not Buying it
Excerpts:

They counted the delegates and the nominating process is over and Gov. Romney has a sufficient amount of delegates and so I met with Gov. Romney last week and we talked about some of the areas where we have some agreement, some strong agreement.

“My dad, myself and his supporters are very passionate about the Federal Reserve needing to be reined in and audited and Gov. Romney supports that.

"We’re also very passionate about freedom of the Internet and we were all opposed to the SOPA bill, which we thought would take away some of our civil liberties with regard to the Internet, and Gov. Romney’s right there with us on that.

"One of the other issues that’s very important to me is the REINS Act. This is where regulations that are strangling our economy, regulations that cost over $100 million would have to come back from the EPA and be voted on in Congress. And Gov. Romney is right there with us on that issue as well.”

Paul said there are a “lot of issues of commonality” and noted he really did not want President Barack Obama to get a second term.

“I really don’t want to see a second term. I’m worried about what happens to our economy and our country if we get a second term of President Obama.”

Link to the original article :
http://http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Rand-Paul-backs-Romne...

• La Bef 2012/06/12 00:20:52
    I Agree
    La Bef
    +7
    I hope not to wake up the day after election and find Obummer won because the Ron Paul voters refused to accept reality and voted for an impossibility. Yes, I believe Ron Paul is the best, but he will not win and I mainly want this marxist jerk who occupies the Whitehouse gone! Once we take out the trash we can deal with Paul.

• Michaelene 2012/06/18 15:14:38
    I Agree
    Michaelene
    I agree with Rand Paul and am glad that Romney is supporting auditing the FED, opposed to SOPA and the crucifying of our energy industry by the EPA.
    I voted Paul in the primary and will vote Romney in the general.
    Obama must go.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/06/14 19:51:35
    I Agree
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Everyone should be concerned what will happen if the current admistration gets another 4 years.
  • AL 2012/06/14 09:08:22
    I Agree
    AL
    +1
    It's V.P. time people!
  • Arizona1950 2012/06/12 13:00:28
    Not Buying it
    Arizona1950
    +3
    Why the out-and-out lies ... Romney does NOT support going after the Federal Reserve he has said it over and over again and again. I hope every Ron Paul supporter goes 3rd Party and votes Gary Johnson. He at least holds to the principles and direction of RP and he's not a failed one-term governor. He knows what he is doing.

To lie to protect a Party of liars. To protect a Party that showed the world what frauds they are when it comes to our vote as they did in Maine, Nevada, Louisiana, and Arizona. The same party who deliberately painted his dad as unelectable and would not support but is grabbing his policies and direction as if their own ... they give us no choice but to go 3rd party otherwise your choice ... Caligula or Nero

• Arizona... Arizona... 2012/06/16 20:35:11
    Arizona1950
    I've had my knee-jerk reaction and realize that Rand in saying such a thing is helping to expose Flip Romney for who he is ... I will support Rand Paul going forward as he still is standing for liberty and our constitution, this did not and has not changed who the man is and his desire to reform the Republican Party.
  • Annette 2012/06/12 12:10:57
    I see
    Annette
    +1
    I am still waiting to see who he decides to choose as his running mate. The link to Newsmax does not work, but I will find it or wait for the magazine. I think it is one we get, he has so many it's hard to keep up! LOL
    Thanks for posting, it is very helpful to know.
  • john Kills 2012/06/12 06:41:25
    Not Buying it
    john Kills
    +1
    He's looking at a future run for himself and knows he must be on the "Right" side of of the GOP or it won't happen.
  • Maria 2012/06/12 04:55:34
    I Agree
    Maria
    +1
    too good to be true...if they meant real business then America can hope better..we'll have to wait and see what happen..don't let Marxist go over your head..
    NoOBAMA 2012
  • RageFury 2012/06/12 02:14:02
    I see
    RageFury
    +1
    Still think he should have waited until after Tampa. The timing of it is BS...
  • prankster 2012/06/12 01:57:36
    Not Buying it
    prankster
    +1
    someone just got cut out of the will. . .
  • Gregaj7 2012/06/12 00:42:49
    I see
    +1
    I do get what and why. Campaigns like this needs to learn to finish better.
  • texasred 2012/06/12 00:27:55
    I Agree
    texasred
    +5
    No doubt in my mind he would have preferred his Dad win the nomination. Nevertheless, he knows another 4 years of Obama will push this nation over the cliff.... in a very bad way.
  • La Bef 2012/06/12 00:20:52
    I Agree
    La Bef
    +7
  • safari La Bef 2012/06/12 00:23:56
    safari
    +4
    Agree TRASH OUT first and foremost - then we can move forward.
  • DDogbreath La Bef 2012/06/12 00:37:57 (edited)
    DDogbreath
    +5
    You don't replace trash with trash when you take it out. Why do things the "hard way"?

Once again you so called "conservatives" try to nominate a liberal crappy candidate to go up against Obama. Insanity is repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

Remember election 08? You are trying to nominate a guy the loser wouldn't pick for VP because of his "draft dodger" status.

remember election 08 nominate guy loser vp draft dodger status
  • DDogbreath 2012/06/12 00:12:37
    Not Buying it
    DDogbreath
    +3
    The best part of Rand ran down his mother's leg.
  • safari DDogbreath 2012/06/12 00:23:23
    safari
    +7
    That is disgusting. It also reflects on the wife of the man I've watched you comment supposedly favorably about for months now. Why this comment now?
  • DDogbreath safari 2012/06/12 00:29:41
    DDogbreath
    +2
    That's probably what dad was thinking.
  • Næthan Æterna 2012/06/11 23:54:04
    Not Buying it
    Næthan Æterna
    +5
    Romney going to audit the Fed?

• safari Næthan ... 2012/06/11 23:55:22
    safari
    +5
    Well I hope Rand was right about that because it is urgent to our future.
  • Næthan ... safari 2012/06/11 23:57:39
    Næthan Æterna
    +3
    I agree. Romney is too heavily invested in by the Goldman-Sachs for any of that to be a reality, though, sadly. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Yo'Adri... Næthan ... 2012/06/13 19:01:34
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    Pigs don't fly.......but jackasses Rule!!!! Stranger things have happened....Fingers crossed!
  • Kane Fernau 2012/06/11 21:37:14
    I Agree
    Kane Fernau
    +3
    Romney could be a Ron Paul clone and some Paulturds still won't give up the fight.
  • safari Kane Fe... 2012/06/11 23:43:15
    safari
    +3
    I think many of those types are not really supporters but shills. However it does seem that several legit supporters I know are still feeling betrayed by Rand.
  • DDogbreath safari 2012/06/12 00:14:13
    DDogbreath
    +2
    You got that right.
  • Kane Fe... safari 2012/06/12 01:37:37
    Kane Fernau
    +2
    I know but reality is reality. Romney would have to die and I still doubt Ron Paul could win the nomination.
  • Yo'Adri... Kane Fe... 2012/06/13 19:02:27 (edited)
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    That's pure truth!...and it has nothing to do with FREEDOM or that he might make a good president.....but the United states is NOT ready or in tune with Ron Paul
    at this time.....
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/12 23:36:27
    Tully
    +1
    What do you have against freedom?

Romney could be a Paul clone. He's also been a Reagan clone, a Kennedy clone and whatever he has to be to please the room and you think he's make a good President? Look forward to more pleasing the room. He'll run the country like Clinton.
  • Kane Fe... Tully 2012/06/13 01:19:03
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/13 03:36:03
    Tully
    +1
    I know I'm not a Repuke. I've been independent since I started voting, although my voting record has been Repuke locally.

Are you aware Ron Paul is for the free market and eliminating regulation that gets in the way of business? You know, how the Founding Fathers envisioned?

You can't call yourself a Conservative or a Repuke and eat what Romney is feeding you?
  • Kane Fe... Tully 2012/06/13 18:55:32 (edited)
    Kane Fernau
    What are you? You sound like a communist rooting for Paul's isolationist policy.
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/13 20:05:55
    Tully
    +1
    Enjoy your Socialist Romney. 4 more years of the same. Obama without the tan.
  • Kane Fe... Tully 2012/06/13 21:57:12
    Kane Fernau
    +1
    Romney is a Capitalist. Obama is the socialist. You only like Paul because you want illegal drugs and bring our military home to give despots and tyrants control of the planet.
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/13 22:50:36
    Tully
    +1
    "You only like Paul because you want illegal drugs and bring our military home to give despots and tyrants control of the planet."

Dr. Paul has a grand vision that involves free markets and choices. Right To Work and fierce defending of the Constitution are the most important factors to me. Romney doesn't fit the bill.

You are an easily led automaton and only follow what the MSM and commentators tell you is your only option.
  • Kane Fe... Tully 2012/06/13 23:02:44
    Kane Fernau
    +1
    I'm in agreement with Ron Paul on everything but foreign policy. I keep hearing all this Constitutional stuff. What does Romney propose that is Unconstitutioal? You shouldn't assume anything. I get Ron Paul emails that doesn't change the fact that Ron will not be the next President of the United States.
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/13 23:11:52
    Tully
    +2
    Romney supports NDAA, Patriot Act and assassinating Americans w/o due process or even charges.

RP's foriegn policy is simple, quit wasting money on nation building. Punish those who attack us and move on.
  • Kane Fe... Tully 2012/06/14 01:51:17
    Kane Fernau
    +1
    People get too worked up on this "is it constitutional" question. The facts are that what is and what is not constitutional is decided by the Supreme Court by either direct ruling, or failing to decide on a case. Our real "constitution" is found in the millions of pages of Supreme Court decisions handed down over the last 200 years.

As a result of this evolution, our real constitution (known as constitutional law) slowly changes over time. This change over time was fully anticipated by the drafters of the constitution. For example, where does the constitution say that everyone has a right to a court appointed attorney, or that abortion is allowed, or that kids must go to school until they are sixteen, or that we can't say prayers in school, or that you must be 21 to drink.

What happens is human nature kicks in every time there is a law we don't like and we start shouting that the law is unconstitutional. When was the last time Congress "declared war" in accordance with the constitution? Try 1941. Does that mean all the other wars since then have been unconstitutional? Personally, I think so, but the Supreme Court has overruled me every time.
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/14 12:44:49
    Tully
    +2
    NDAA spits on the Constitution. It should have never been written. Locking someone up w/o trial? Support Romney? Toss out half the damn Bill of RIghts. NDAA Direct violation of:

Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Sixth Amendment – Trial ...

Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Seventh Amendment – Civil trial by jury.

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
  • Kane Fe... Tully 2012/06/14 15:06:35
    Kane Fernau
    Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeus corpus during the Civil War. We are at war with terrorists. I thought Obama said the war on terror was over but there are still plenty of people wanting to kill you. 9/11 cost the country $3.3 Trillion. One dirty nuke could kill 100s of thousands, do you want 100s of thousands of deaths on your head? Offense is the best defense.
  • Tully Kane Fe... 2012/06/14 17:48:22
    Tully
    +2
    "Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeus corpus during the Civil War."
    And it was quickly forbidden by the Supreme Court.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. Sorry, I'm American. My rights mean more to me than security.

2014/10/25 13:34:35