Rand Paul: F-16 Sales to Egypt 'A Mistake that Could Haunt Us' Do you trust Egypt with F-16 planes ?

CAPISCE 2013/01/26 13:33:31
yes
Sen. Rand Paul is calling the U.S. sale of 16 advanced F-16 fighter jets to Egypt "a huge mistake" that could come back to "haunt" America in the years ahead, depending on the direction Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi takes his country.

" I think it's a huge mistake," the Kentucky Republican told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren Thursday night.

" I think there's a potential that it elevates an arms race, and what we give to Egypt, Israel wants more or needs more to defend themselves," Paul continued. "And I think there's a risk. President Morsi's had words . . . calling those who are in favor of Israel, calling them bloodsuckers, and apes, and descendants of pigs. I'd be a little bit concerned about arming a person who had that kind of language.

"I'm also concerned that these are weapons that could come back to haunt us," Paul added, recalling how the United States helped arm Osama bin Laden in the 1980s when he was part of the Mujahideen in Afghanistan.
I'm not sure exactly what would happen, necessarily," he said. But he added that they would likely be willing to negotiate.

What would the U.S. ask for in return for planes? "I would say to them, 'Maybe you should protect our embassy. Maybe you shouldn't let hordes of people jump on top of our embassy and burn our flag and chant death to America."

"I would condition money and anything we give to them on good behavior. And I don't think we've been getting good behavior from Egypt," he added.

Paul acknowledged, however, that Egypt has the potential to play a broader role in helping to stabilize the Middle East and still controls the important Suez canal.

"I'm not for . . . saying we have no relations with Egypt. I'm for friendly relations with Egypt. And as friendly as they want to be to us, we should be," he said. "But you don't always have to buy friends and you don't always have to arm friends.

• Ripley 2013/01/28 20:49:47
    Ripley
    Something doesn't smell right with this. These guys called Israel every name under the sun and we still hand over these F-16s. I can understand why Netanyahu doesn't trust us.
  • kashmirknight 2013/01/27 15:26:34
  • Playerazzi 2013/01/27 10:50:10
    Playerazzi
    +1
    They are a bunch of dufusses when it comes to an Air Force, but still, put a weapon in the hand of an idiot, it can still be dangerous.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2013/01/27 07:09:12
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +2
    We're arming enemies, it's bad.
  • Gid 2013/01/26 22:58:25
    Gid
    +2
    I do not trust them with sling shots.
  • Kurt 2013/01/26 22:46:19
    Kurt
    +2
    Its a asinine idea. Its like says lets help the people who will kill US soldiers in the future.
  • boneman1 2013/01/26 22:37:42
    boneman1
    +2
    We have no business giving aid or selling weapons to a country that's anti-Israel. This is just more evidence of Obama's pro-Muslim, anti-Israel agenda.
  • Tic-Toc 2013/01/26 22:09:36
    Tic-Toc
    +1
    What good does it do to feed a Rattle Snake a mouse.... You think you are making friends with it, but the first time you turn your back or let down your guard he strikes out at you and fills you with poison that slowly over takes your very being and will in the end, kill you without a second thot... Even tho it knows you are to big for it to eat.

obama is trying to follow in his foot-steps... "I am the Leader, What I say is LAW... Any and all who disagree shall pay the price"
  • Bonita Colley 2013/01/26 21:48:49
    Bonita Colley
    +2
    We keep funding and training our enemies and it always bites us in the butt!
  • "Shooter" ™ 2013/01/26 20:19:39
    "Shooter" ™
    +1
    They will be used to attack Israel but Obama has to please his Muslim brothers.
  • Mr. Wonderful 2013/01/26 20:14:54
  • "Shoote... Mr. Won... 2013/01/26 20:20:59
  • GAC 2013/01/26 20:14:49
    GAC
    +2
    I trust Egypt as much as I would trust a monkey holding a hand-grenade.
    +3
    We have no business arming a country run by a terrorist organization but since Obie is in league with them it will probably happen.
    yes
    +1
    Sorry I meant no I don't trust Egypt. Obama more than anyone knew that the Arab Spring would get in power tand that they were radical muslims. He wanted to see the rise of radical Islam!
  • john richardson 2013/01/26 19:26:20
    yes
    john richardson
    +1
    Egyptian military doesn't answer to the brotherhood, we may later need the Egyptian army to restore sanity if the brotherhood imposes Sharia law and starts killing Egyptian infidels, So do I trust them? Hell no, but they may be our only card in the Arab region so for the minute I wouldnt burn bridges with their military but I wouldn't give them military hardware either.
  • Tic-Toc john ri... 2013/01/26 22:11:55
    Tic-Toc
    Not sure if I agree with your post or not, but it does have a ring of truth to it.
  • john ri... Tic-Toc 2013/01/27 02:03:00
    john richardson
    +1
    When Morsi first came to power he called for war against Israel however the military didn't follow through.
  • kashmir... john ri... 2013/01/27 15:29:44
  • john ri... kashmir... 2013/01/27 19:32:59 (edited)
    john richardson
    When I said not to burn bridges with the military why did you think I would want to humiliate one of the few playing cards Obozo hasn't screwed up yet, I'm also aware the Egyptian military protects the Suez Canal where 1 in 8 ships pass throuh. You may have confused my mistrust for Morsi not the military. Now kash remember I said we may have to count on the military to keep Egypt from becoming another Iran or maybe the brotherhood may want to start killing other Egyptians. As I said they may be our only card.
  • kashmir... john ri... 2013/01/27 20:16:43
  • john ri... kashmir... 2013/01/28 01:00:15
    john richardson
    No I just want to see which direction they'll go, as I said we need Egypt for security on the Suez, I was thinking they should prove themselfs and you are correct I could have worded my thought better so I'll say no until the military can verify their loyalties
  • Lerro DeHazel 2013/01/26 19:21:21
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    One of The First Targets in the 1967-Six Days War was Egypt's Planes On The Ground. Why would a Country want to waste money on stuff that is going to eventually be nothing but Targets?
  • Wolf 2013/01/26 19:00:48
    yes
    Wolf
    It money ---every major power sells arms of all kinds ---remember the US, France and Britain all helped Pakistan get the Atomic Bomb---every President starting in 1972 looked the other way so that Pakistan can get the Atomic Bomb---
  • Tuna Wolf 2013/01/26 19:06:56
    Tuna
    That was for balance of power in that region, they said. India would not be left alone to re-conquer those nations or alone in having nukes.
  • Tic-Toc Wolf 2013/01/26 22:12:40
    Tic-Toc
    These were a GIFT... Ya know... Gift, Present.... Free, No Charge.....
  • Tuna 2013/01/26 18:56:54
    Tuna
    +3
    It was the old Democrat jew haters that insisted Israel allow Hamas to counter Yassir Arafat; Hamas turned out to be terrorists. Then they insisted Israel allow free elections in Gaza and guess who they elected? Hamas. Poor decisions by Democrats always come back to bite us.
    democrat jew haters democrat jew haters
  • Cliff 2013/01/26 18:34:18
    Cliff
    +3
    Benjamin Netanyahu should properly look upon this as an act of aggression by the US against the State of Israel.
  • Tuna Cliff 2013/01/26 18:59:17
    Tuna
    +1
    It looks like the progressives have gotten into the legislature of Israel this election; if they bring down the USA and Israel, the NewWorldOrder will waltz right on in.
  • Wells Tuna 2013/01/26 19:33:26
  • Tuna Wells 2013/01/26 20:04:53
    Tuna
    +1
    Any time the region is discussed oil comes up; LOL !!! What is it, less than 8% of seagoing oil passes through the Suez? Oil, oil, oil. That Suez canal and all of the Sania Peninsula was a gift from Israel; Israel and Egypt do not have problems; the Muslim Brotherhood does.
  • Defend ... Tuna 2013/01/26 20:07:19 (edited)
    Defend Western Civlization
    +2
    this person is a Racist Anti Semite who thinks you have no right to own guns
  • Tuna Defend ... 2013/01/26 20:16:52
    Tuna
    +1
    that is obvious about the anti-semite. He probably won't come back, one of those drive-by Sodaheads.
  • Defend ... Tuna 2013/01/26 20:27:26
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    yes he blocked me after attacking me with BS about what i need on a topic about guns
    the loser could not bs me so he blocked me
  • Tuna Defend ... 2013/01/26 20:40:48
    Tuna
    +1
    Typical; it figures. I will be glad to take him on involving Israel and theregion.
  • Wells Tuna 2013/01/27 17:27:14 (edited)
    Wells
    Molon wouldn't or couldn't respond to fair points at all, a worthless waste of my time. Now Molon calls me anti-semitic. Frickn liar sack. Petroleum is certainly thee most critical component keeping the US military engaged in the Middle East since mid-20th Century.
  • Tuna Wells 2013/01/27 17:54:43
    Tuna
    There is more oil in Texas; it's all aboutthe redistribution; what would those nations do for an economy without oil? Even with oil they are hell holes stuck in the 18th century.
  • Wells Tuna 2013/01/27 18:57:25
    Wells
    It's their country and culture and resources to manage, not ours to judge and conquer. Just like most modern nations, they drive motor vehicles like chickens with their heads cut off. Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana are no longer the major oil producing states they once were. They wouldn't be crying for the Keystone Pipeline to the tar sands of Canada if they still had petroleum reserves to exploit.
  • Tuna Wells 2013/01/27 19:09:13
    Tuna
    Israel is about the only prosperous nation on earth; a booming economy. Those States don't PRODUCE right; it's so all of the desert countries that have no economy can. Keystone only saves Canada shipping costs, it won't benefit USA much.
  • Wells Tuna 2013/01/28 06:31:49
    Wells
    Israel's economy is mediocre, not a bad thing because the real measurement of a nation, rich or poor, is its quality of life. Israel is beset on all sides by unfriendly Arab states, a detriment.

As for the Keystone pipeline, as I understand it, Texas refineries intend to export to the Asian market. This supposedly reduces our trade deficit, but not really. It just makes us more dependent upon global trade incidentally enabled by petroleum. The leaders of both political parties are beholden to business interests who only care about money.

2014/09/30 12:03:39