RACE AND ECONOMICS

SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX 2011/09/05 17:02:22

Overall U.S. unemployment is 9.1 percent. For white adults, it's 8 percent, and for white teens, 23 percent. Black adult unemployment stands at 17 percent, and for black teens, it's 40 percent, more than 50 percent in some cities, for example, Washington.

Chapter 3 of "Race and Economics," my most recent book, starts out, "Some might find it puzzling that during times of gross racial discrimination, black unemployment was lower and blacks were more active in the labor force than they are today." Up until the late 1950s, the labor force participation rate of black teens and adults was equal to or greater than their white counterparts. In fact, in 1910, 71 percent of black males older than 9 were employed, compared with 51 percent for whites. As early as 1890, the duration of unemployment among blacks was shorter than it was among whites, whereas today unemployment is both higher and longer-lasting among blacks than among whites.

How might one explain yesteryear's lower black unemployment and greater labor force participation? The usual academic, civil rights or media racial discrimination explanation for black/white socio-economic differences just wouldn't hold up. I can't imagine even the most harebrained professor, civil rights leader or media "expert" arguing that there was less discrimination a century ago and that explains why there was greater black labor market participation. Racial discrimination or low skills can explain low wages but not unemployment.

Read More: http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/201...

• jeane 2011/09/05 17:06:30
    jeane
    +2
    I noticed this trend of unemployment myself. Back in "the day" many blacks would take any job that was available - but not today. Welfare and other entitlements have lured many blacks from jobs and made them dependent upon government and other charities. This may not be the "whole" answer but I do know that it is a part of the answer. Also increased crime tells me that some would rather beg, borrow and "STEAL" rather than to work.
  • politic... jeane 2011/09/05 17:24:21 (edited)
    politicalsoldier
    +1
    And I think that outcome was intentional. The progressive democrats purposefully moved an entire segment of the population to be dependent on government hand-outs in order to secure a voting block to always vote for the party supplying those entitlements.

African-Americans were held as slaves by southern democrats in the past and they are still enslaved by the democrats today. They are political slaves purposefully kept down at a certain social/economic level by a welfare entitlement system so that they will always vote democrat. And it has worked. What has been done to the black community in the last 60 years by the democratic party in this nation is as much of a crime as actual slavery itself was.

And through the progressives takeover of the media and educational system in the last century I doubt the vast number of African Americans will ever learn what is being done to them. How many know that the democrats were the slave owners and fought for slavery. That the republican party was started as an abolition party. That Lincoln was a republican. That the democrats were responsible for reconstruction and the Jim Crow laws of the late 1800s and segregation in the 1900s. Or that the republicans passed the first civil rights act during the Eisenhower administration in the 1950s. O...

And through the progressives takeover of the media and educational system in the last century I doubt the vast number of African Americans will ever learn what is being done to them. How many know that the democrats were the slave owners and fought for slavery. That the republican party was started as an abolition party. That Lincoln was a republican. That the democrats were responsible for reconstruction and the Jim Crow laws of the late 1800s and segregation in the 1900s. Or that the republicans passed the first civil rights act during the Eisenhower administration in the 1950s. Or that more democrats than republicans were against the Civil Rights Act of the 60s (such as Al Gore Sr. and LBJ). Or that the democrats had former klan members and staunch segregationist in congress as recent as Robert Byrd a few years ago.
  • jeane politic... 2011/09/05 17:39:51
    jeane
    +2
    They are well aided by the black poverty pimps - you know the ones that castigate people like me for not towing the party line.
  • SCOOP--... jeane 2011/09/05 17:41:36
    SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX
    +1
    I have the utmost respect and admiration for American patriots like you, Jean, who do not tow the party line. Thank you.
  • JanHopkins jeane 2011/09/05 18:04:05
    JanHopkins
    +2
    Jean, you should start your own group designed to remind all people that self reliance is an honorable way of life.
  • SCOOP--... JanHopkins 2011/09/05 18:07:36
    SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX
    +1
    Yes, that would be a great idea. To me, self reliance is the only way to go.
  • jeane JanHopkins 2011/09/05 18:26:59
    jeane
    +2
    I do hope to do missionary work in the future. Perhaps this will be an emphasis!

2014/12/22 04:21:36