QUOTES OF THE DAY > Was Allen West's Angry E-mail Appropriate?

Christine Lusey 2011/07/21 11:00:00
If you were worried that Allen West might rein in the crazy now that he’s a congressman, fear not!

The Tea Party-propelled Florida freshman, who most recently made news by declaring that Obama supporters are a "a threat to the gene pool," was not amused in the least when neighboring district Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz dared to disagree with his stance on the proposed "Cut, Cap, and Balance" bill.

Wasserman Schultz told House members, "Incredulously, the gentleman from Florida, who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of a plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries ... unbelievable from a member from South Florida.”

West immediately set to penning the following venomous e-mail screed to Wasserman Schultz, sending it to her personal e-mail and copying House leaders, with the unintentionally hilarious subject line "Unprofessional and Inappropriate Sophomoric Behavior."

From: Z112 West, Allen
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 04:48 PM
To: Wasserman Schultz, Debbie
Cc: McCarthy, Kevin; Blyth, Jonathan; Pelosi, Nancy; Cantor, Eric
Subject: Unprofessional and Inappropriate Sophomoric Behavior from Wasserman-Schultz

Look, Debbie, I understand that after I departed the House floor you directed your floor speech comments directly towards me. Let me make myself perfectly clear, you want a personal fight, I am happy to oblige. You are the most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member of the US House of Representatives. If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. Focus on your own congressional district!

I am bringing your actions today to our Majority Leader and Majority Whip and from this time forward, understand that I shall defend myself forthright against your heinous characterless behavior……which dates back to the disgusting protest you ordered at my campaign hqs, October 2010 in Deerfield Beach.

You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!

Steadfast and Loyal

Congressman Allen B West (R-FL)

Not surprisingly, a ton of people went bananas and started demanding apologies on behalf of Wasserman Schultz, who told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday that she was neither surprised nor phased by the attack.

"It isn’t surprising that he would react to the probably untold pressure that he’s getting from his constituents, whom he and I both represent, as I pointed out in debate on the House floor; represent thousands of senior citizens who, under this "Cut, Cap, and Balance" - really duck-dive and dismantle plan - that the Republicans are proposing, would face huge increases in their Medicare costs. It would end Medicare as we know it …

"If he can’t handle that pressure, can’t handle being called out in debate on the House floor, then he probably should change his position

"I think Congressman West really needs to understand that when we’re debating on the House floor, that’s what we do. We engage in back-and-forth. And if he can’t handle that – particularly on an issue as important to our constituents as Medicare - then he probably needs to reconsider his really ill-advised position on Medicare.”

West initially refused to back down, telling Fox News, "I think it's important to stake my ground. It was about enough is enough, and it's my right to say that. She is the one elevating this."

But by Wednesday afternoon rumors swirled that West had apologized to Wasserman Schultz, a claim Wasserman Schultz herself denied on CNN’s "The Situation Room" with Wolf Blitzer.

“That is absolutely untrue," she said. "I have not received an apology. I haven’t received a phone call. I know he has my email. I haven’t gotten an apology on my email, nor on my fax machine in my district office, nor my congressional office in the capitol, nor at the Democratic National Committee.”

And just in case anyone forgot for a moment that politics is awful, both the Democratic Party and Rep. West used the brouhaha to solicit donations.

Read More: http://www.mediaite.com/online/video-why-gop-rep-w...

• Bonboyl 2011/07/22 14:49:48
    Bonboyl
    +1
    I think Allen West is probably the best thing in politics for a long time. But I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in him for his remarks. I wish he had just ignored this Wasserman-Schultz person. People are capable of listening to her remarks, watching him, and deciding for themselves who is more professional.
  • texasred Bonboyl 2011/07/23 00:37:16
    texasred
    +3
    She's dumped on him three different times. She was instrumental in the release of his SS# and his wife's employee ID in a mailer during the 2008 campaign. She held a protest in front of his campaign headquarters in 2008 calling him a misogynist and accusing him of objectifying women. Then she waits for him to leave the floor to denigrate him and lie. I respect him for not taking it sitting down and she disgusts me for releasing the email...but I expect nothing better from her.
  • Bonboyl texasred 2011/07/23 03:32:02
    Bonboyl
    +2
    She sounds like a real a@@hole.
  • texasred Bonboyl 2011/07/23 05:36:27
    texasred
    +2
    That's giving her credit for being something better than she is.
  • Bonboyl texasred 2011/07/23 13:09:39
    Bonboyl
    +1
    Really bad, huh? I hadn't heard much about her, but I still wish West would ignore her stupid remarks. I'm afraid that if he responds, he might say something that will be held against him (if he hasn't already). I want him in the White House - if not President, then V.P.
  • texasred Bonboyl 2011/07/23 16:11:41
    texasred
    +1
    I want him in the WH, too. But I totally respect him for not allowing her to continue to get away with her slander and lies.
  • Bonboyl texasred 2011/07/23 16:52:40
    Bonboyl
    +1
    You're probably right. I am such a non-fighter. I have always respected Geo. Bush's attitute about bashers. He just ignores them. I just hope West doesn't say something that will hurt his chances of moving into the White House.
  • texasred Bonboyl 2011/07/24 00:56:09
    texasred
    +1
    He's a military man. He's not going to allow himself to be trashed and walked all over but so many times. I understand what you're saying, though.
  • Jim 2011/07/22 14:39:35
    It was a perfectly appropriate way to respond to a disagreement with a colleague
    Jim
    +2
    Typical liberal response, "I spite on you publically, it's o'kay. You spite on me publically or privately, you'll pay!"
  • ar077 2011/07/22 14:25:31
    ar077
    +3
    Allen West is on my dream ticket to defeat the worst president in U.S. history. Not only should he never apologize to that vile woman but he should use the attack on himself from the Congressional Black Caucus to sever all ties to that racist body. Why does Congress countenance its members joining a blatantly racist club?
  • texasred ar077 2011/07/23 00:37:53
    texasred
    +2
    You and me, both!!
  • dandieselonian 2011/07/22 14:25:27
    No way, it was totally unprofessional and gross
    dandieselonian
    +1
    always be nice then be evil in ways that cant come back to you
  • MikeOrtiz 2011/07/22 14:24:09
    MikeOrtiz
    The people would be much better off if all they did all day in Washington was send angry emails at each other and fight. Actually, I think they should bring back weapons on the floor of Congress and allow dueling again.
  • Happy_Evil_Dude 2011/07/22 14:18:24
    Happy_Evil_Dude
    +1
    How old are all these people who deem this perfectly appropriate? Or this site just overrun by narrow-minded conservatives? The woman representative just made a small comment that wasn't insulting in any way, not even naming the guy, while he sends an e-mail to the whole wolrd basically calling her a whore. How are these two statements in the same league?
  • texasred Happy_E... 2011/07/23 00:42:37
    texasred
    Old enough to research why he didn't step back and let her piss all over him a third time.

He didn't "basically" call "her a whore." Though, it would have served her right. Oh yeah... notice? She released the email. Wake up and you might realize how all you liberals are being played.
  • hazel texasred 2011/07/23 03:26:11
    hazel
    +1
    One ,,,two three strikes ...your out
  • texasred hazel 2011/07/23 05:37:26
    texasred
    +1
    Yep... he'd had enough. Too many time we let the Libs just get away with it. I respect him for standing up to the snotty b!tch.
  • hazel texasred 2011/07/24 02:23:05
    hazel
    +1
    Hes one strong ass real man!!!
  • texasred hazel 2011/07/24 04:47:16
    texasred
    +1
    He's one of my heroes.
  • hazel texasred 2011/07/24 05:46:37
    hazel
    +1
    Mine too
  • eddie 2011/07/22 14:12:46
    eddie
    +3
    she got the same dose of her own medicine
  • bb 2011/07/22 14:00:15 (edited)
    bb
    +3
    She should just go back to doing Kenny G impersonations. Fight fire with fire, that liberal trash lady got a taste of her own medicine and didn't like it. West is a real conservative man and a war hero, and worst of all for libs, a huge political threat because he has a chance to become the first Pro American black President.
  • cruiseray 2011/07/22 13:29:20
    cruiseray
    +4
    Nothing was wrong with what he said and how he delivered it!!
  • Pam 2011/07/22 13:23:50
    Pam
    OOOOOOH temper temper! While I don't believe it was gross, it was entirely unprofessional and borderline childish. He will be very entertaining. Thank the Goddess I don't live in Florida!
  • ruthannhausman 2011/07/22 12:55:42
    ruthannhausman
    +3
    Although it seemed a little strong to me at first, evidently this current incident on the House floor was not the first time she has said something to or about him, and therefore his response was understandable. Most importantly, you can sense his frustration at her lies. I totally have to agree with that anger and frustration. At least he used authentic English adjectives that don't have to be bleeped.
  • Risk 2011/07/22 12:53:23
    Risk
    +4
    I know this question is not directly related to the question being asked but why does it seem that 95% of Liberal women politicians are so damn ugly ? ? ? ?
  • bob 2011/07/22 12:46:01
    bob
    +6
    He was Right She is a Vial and Despicable Human Being with Very little to say but spew the far left Diatribe. Her Placement as head of the Democratic Party shows how far out of touch the Democratic Party is with the Majority of Moderate Americans.
  • Tea in the Harbor 2011/07/22 12:30:40
    Tea in the Harbor
    It's time for this war criminal to exit stage left. He's an embarrassment to the country, again.
  • Risk Tea in ... 2011/07/22 12:57:55
    Risk
    +2
    Is that because he has a set and doesn't suck up on trying to show how
    " Politically Correctness " should be a big part of everyone's life ?
  • Tea in ... Risk 2011/07/22 13:11:11
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    No, it's because he is a belligerent, unthinking confessed war criminal. I just answered another reply claiming that the bagger cult are the only ones in Washington with "balls."

Why are you people so fascinated with the size of a man's testicles? Why does that over-ride their intelligence in your opinions?

I have balls, but I gave up letting them do my thinking quite a while ago.
  • Risk Tea in ... 2011/07/22 15:01:39
    Risk
    +3
    Because he has a set and your president doesn't !
  • Tea in ... Risk 2011/07/22 15:04:49
    Tea in the Harbor
    Go play with his "set" then, and leave the thinking to those with brains.
  • Risk Tea in ... 2011/07/22 16:29:43
    Risk
    +4
    That sure as hell won't include you if brains are required !
  • Tea in ... Risk 2011/07/22 17:15:45
    Tea in the Harbor
    Well, at least I'm not slobbering all over another man's balls.

Not that there's anything wrong with that if it's what you're into.
  • Risk Tea in ... 2011/07/22 19:27:18
    Risk
    +1
    Neither am I nor did I indicate that I'm concerned about the physical aspect of some guy's balls ! It really sounds like that you are from your reference to that , you might want to talk to a shrink about your hidden concern you have concerning your manhood and fondness for the same sex concerning their actual gonads ! Might be some help out there for you if you just level about your hidden tendencies, and quit diverting your anger towards real men such as most Conservatives !
  • hazel Tea in ... 2011/07/23 03:29:27
    hazel
    +1
    I am begining to think ..you think we mean balls as on the body balls....we are talking about strength and courage nit wit
  • hazel Risk 2011/07/23 03:28:22
    hazel
    +1
    Risk we think alike ha ha
  • hazel Tea in ... 2011/07/23 03:28:11 (edited)
    hazel
    +1
    Whew,... well at least that does not include you
  • hazel Tea in ... 2011/07/23 03:27:35
    hazel
    +1
    No its because you dont have any ...maybe never did
  • hazel Tea in ... 2011/07/23 03:26:57
    hazel
    +1
    WE the People are very very very very very very proud of Allen

2014/12/20 21:41:56