QUOTES OF THE DAY > Was Allen West's Angry E-mail Appropriate?

Christine Lusey 2011/07/21 11:00:00
If you were worried that Allen West might rein in the crazy now that he’s a congressman, fear not!

The Tea Party-propelled Florida freshman, who most recently made news by declaring that Obama supporters are a "a threat to the gene pool," was not amused in the least when neighboring district Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz dared to disagree with his stance on the proposed "Cut, Cap, and Balance" bill.

Wasserman Schultz told House members, "Incredulously, the gentleman from Florida, who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of a plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries ... unbelievable from a member from South Florida.”

West immediately set to penning the following venomous e-mail screed to Wasserman Schultz, sending it to her personal e-mail and copying House leaders, with the unintentionally hilarious subject line "Unprofessional and Inappropriate Sophomoric Behavior."

From: Z112 West, Allen
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 04:48 PM
To: Wasserman Schultz, Debbie
Cc: McCarthy, Kevin; Blyth, Jonathan; Pelosi, Nancy; Cantor, Eric
Subject: Unprofessional and Inappropriate Sophomoric Behavior from Wasserman-Schultz

Look, Debbie, I understand that after I departed the House floor you directed your floor speech comments directly towards me. Let me make myself perfectly clear, you want a personal fight, I am happy to oblige. You are the most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member of the US House of Representatives. If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. Focus on your own congressional district!

I am bringing your actions today to our Majority Leader and Majority Whip and from this time forward, understand that I shall defend myself forthright against your heinous characterless behavior……which dates back to the disgusting protest you ordered at my campaign hqs, October 2010 in Deerfield Beach.

You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!

Steadfast and Loyal

Congressman Allen B West (R-FL)

Not surprisingly, a ton of people went bananas and started demanding apologies on behalf of Wasserman Schultz, who told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday that she was neither surprised nor phased by the attack.

"It isn’t surprising that he would react to the probably untold pressure that he’s getting from his constituents, whom he and I both represent, as I pointed out in debate on the House floor; represent thousands of senior citizens who, under this "Cut, Cap, and Balance" - really duck-dive and dismantle plan - that the Republicans are proposing, would face huge increases in their Medicare costs. It would end Medicare as we know it …

"If he can’t handle that pressure, can’t handle being called out in debate on the House floor, then he probably should change his position

"I think Congressman West really needs to understand that when we’re debating on the House floor, that’s what we do. We engage in back-and-forth. And if he can’t handle that – particularly on an issue as important to our constituents as Medicare - then he probably needs to reconsider his really ill-advised position on Medicare.”

West initially refused to back down, telling Fox News, "I think it's important to stake my ground. It was about enough is enough, and it's my right to say that. She is the one elevating this."

But by Wednesday afternoon rumors swirled that West had apologized to Wasserman Schultz, a claim Wasserman Schultz herself denied on CNN’s "The Situation Room" with Wolf Blitzer.

“That is absolutely untrue," she said. "I have not received an apology. I haven’t received a phone call. I know he has my email. I haven’t gotten an apology on my email, nor on my fax machine in my district office, nor my congressional office in the capitol, nor at the Democratic National Committee.”

And just in case anyone forgot for a moment that politics is awful, both the Democratic Party and Rep. West used the brouhaha to solicit donations.

Read More: http://www.mediaite.com/online/video-why-gop-rep-w...

• Rodney COS 2011/07/25 22:39:01
    Rodney
    There were no laws broken, what possible charges could be brought?

Wilson received a rebuke. Even though Obie WAS lying, Wilson should have exhibited more self control.

I still say, West did the right thing by airing his disapproval of Wasserman-Schultz's constant personal attacks in the most appropriate way, a semi private email. It was SHE who released it for all to see and went whiny to the DNC leaders for a good cry. Yet, it was she who started the attacks in October 2010.
    I maintain, West did the right thing in calling her on her constant unprofessional personal attacks.
  • COS Rodney 2011/07/25 21:43:57
    COS
    +1
    Ok so what West was not on the floor during her speech. That happen just about every day on he floor of the house. And if he wanted to set the record right than come back the next day during the 5 mins speeches.

Again the House hasnt been honorable nor respectable since the days of Tip O'Nell. And most deftly not with these Tea party members. The monority rules the house and they always roll over the minority party. Its the wild wild west.
  • Rodney COS 2011/07/25 22:29:59 (edited)
    Rodney
    Gee, just like when Nasty Nancy was leader of the Majority! It was far better (more professional) to address Wasserman-Schitz semi privately through an email then in public. If you don't know that, I am sorry for you.

I pretty much agree that Reagan and O'Neill was the last true civility there was in Congress. It has gotten far worse since about 2005 though. With this president however, not only has civility left Congress, but the problem has spread to the citizens as well. This president has create an atmosphere of division and incivility though out the nation.

As for your attempted slam against the Tea Party Caucus, that is a fail. Sixty members hardly have the amount of influence you think when there are 435 members in the House. We must also look at what kind of influence the 59 members of the Progressive Caucus has too. Progressives are the FAR left of the Democrat Party.
  • shrfu31 2011/07/22 14:54:56
    No way, it was totally unprofessional and gross
    shrfu31
    +1
    Call me sexist, but I just find it remarkably uncouth for a guy to talk down to a female in almost any circumstance. It just looks petty.
  • Politic... shrfu31 2011/07/22 17:26:09
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +4
    Amazing how the little princess started it before the entire House in a self-serving speech aimed at her campaign against him that is likely to happen. They will be redistricting their area and they are likely to be competing for the same seat. Funny that she showed up to protest in front of his headquarters when he was running too. I'd say the woman has fangs and thought she could use them against someone who wouldn't respond. She's a fool.
  • shrfu31 Politic... 2011/07/22 18:57:33
    shrfu31
    That's cool for you to think. Just personally, I feel it is petty to argue back with a girl. There is no upside. Either A. You lose (Man, you just lost to a girl!) or B, You win (Wow, do you feel proud of yourself? You beat a girl!) Because of our social stigmas and rules, there is NO upside to a guy getting into a real argument with a girl/woman.

Again, think about the current situation. If he had ignored her, we would not be having this discussion. Because he chose to respond, she just got loads of free press and, God Bless the voters, but probably also a lot of free sympathy too.

If you are a guy, you will ALWAYS lose something when you argue with a female. (I apologize to any females if that came off sexist. It probably is.)
  • Politic... shrfu31 2011/07/22 21:02:57
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +4
    I'm a female, but have to admit to never liking her from the beginning. Being an army brat, I may be more sympathetic toward him for defending his honor. Her comment at the podium was totally out of line and I have to admit also that I was in total and complete disbelief that she had the gaul to say it to the entire assembled body. She meant to offend him, but like all liberal progressives, she thinks she can say anything she wants without repercussions. It was apparent that she was trying to start her campaign against him, but what right did she have protesting at his headquarters when he was first running?
  • MQ-Amer... Politic... 2011/07/22 23:41:47
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +5
    Exactly... if someone cannot defend and/or prove accusations they make towards others, especially in the public domain ... they should STFU! She got what she deserved!
  • Old Salt MQ-Amer... 2011/07/23 01:49:41
  • MQ-Amer... Old Salt 2011/07/23 03:07:18
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +2
    So do I...sometimes a good dose of one's own medicine is just what they deserve...
  • hazel MQ-Amer... 2011/07/23 03:22:43
    hazel
    +2
    And lets keep dosing until the virus is dead
  • Old Salt hazel 2011/07/23 04:34:35
  • hazel Old Salt 2011/07/23 05:11:13
  • Old Salt MQ-Amer... 2011/07/23 04:32:34
  • Politic... MQ-Amer... 2011/07/23 02:32:08
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +2
    Exactly
  • texasred Politic... 2011/07/23 00:32:30
  • texasred shrfu31 2011/07/23 00:32:00
    texasred
    +4
    She is not a girl. She's a Congressperson. Women want to be treated equally. Well, she acted like a dick and got treated like a dick. That's being treated equally.
  • LisaSmith shrfu31 2011/07/23 02:49:06
    LisaSmith
    +2
    She is not a girl. She is a representative and part of the government. Are you saying that women can't compete with men? Are you saying that women should always be allowed to be right because we are so delicate that we can't be disagreed with? You are setting women back about a hundred years with your stupid comments.
  • hazel LisaSmith 2011/07/23 03:23:14 (edited)
    hazel
    +2
    I mis spoke ,......... go get em Lisa
  • MQ-Amer... shrfu31 2011/07/23 03:14:52
  • Old Salt Politic... 2011/07/22 22:09:07
  • Politic... Old Salt 2011/07/22 22:16:38
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +4
    I would hope that I recognize bad behavior no matter who it comes from and berate them for it, male or female. If you are as old as I am, you were raised with manners and open doors for ladies and are a true gentleman. Today, there are very few ladies who deserve the honor. I agree with you in theory, but in practice, someone has to tell trash they're trash. There aren't very many who do it anymore because with the liberal progressive movement people don't have class, responsibility, nor accountability. It's too uncomfortable.
  • Old Salt Politic... 2011/07/22 22:50:20
  • texasred Old Salt 2011/07/23 00:34:32 (edited)
    texasred
    +3
    Good for you. I hold doors for people and if they don't thank me... I very loudly say "You're welcome," in the hope of embarrassing them.
  • hazel texasred 2011/07/23 03:25:01
    hazel
    +2
    Good idea..... Manners should come from BOTH sides
  • texasred hazel 2011/07/23 05:35:38
    texasred
    +2
    Sometimes you can see they become embarrassed. Others ones just don't care.
  • Politic... Old Salt 2011/07/23 02:35:50 (edited)
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +3
    You can rest assured that I would thank you profusely.
  • Old Salt Politic... 2011/07/23 05:26:36
  • hazel Old Salt 2011/07/23 03:24:20
    hazel
    +2
    good for you OS
  • Old Salt hazel 2011/07/23 05:33:18
  • hazel Old Salt 2011/07/23 06:20:30
    hazel
    +2
    YOU ARE SOO KIND and sooo funny
  • Old Salt hazel 2011/07/23 17:39:46 (edited)
  • hazel Old Salt 2011/07/23 20:17:25
    hazel
    +2
    Are those two the cutest thing you have ever seen...so precious
  • texasred Politic... 2011/07/23 00:33:24
    texasred
    +2
    As a woman, I'd like to give you a high five.

woman high high five
  • Politic... texasred 2011/07/23 02:34:26
  • Old Salt shrfu31 2011/07/22 22:14:19
  • hazel shrfu31 2011/07/24 02:18:53
    hazel
    +1
    OK,..... your a sexist
  • shrfu31 hazel 2011/07/26 17:02:44
    shrfu31
    And you have spelling difficulties, lol. See, no one is perfect! (And just to preempt any changes you make....)

spelling difficulties lol preempt
  • hazel shrfu31 2011/07/26 17:25:54
    hazel
    I could care less about spelling errors you idiot...I am not shallow
  • shrfu31 hazel 2011/07/27 18:35:33
    shrfu31
    LOL.

2014/10/26 00:30:13