QUOTES OF THE DAY > Was Allen West's Angry E-mail Appropriate?

Christine Lusey 2011/07/21 11:00:00
If you were worried that Allen West might rein in the crazy now that he’s a congressman, fear not!

The Tea Party-propelled Florida freshman, who most recently made news by declaring that Obama supporters are a "a threat to the gene pool," was not amused in the least when neighboring district Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz dared to disagree with his stance on the proposed "Cut, Cap, and Balance" bill.

Wasserman Schultz told House members, "Incredulously, the gentleman from Florida, who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of a plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries ... unbelievable from a member from South Florida.”

West immediately set to penning the following venomous e-mail screed to Wasserman Schultz, sending it to her personal e-mail and copying House leaders, with the unintentionally hilarious subject line "Unprofessional and Inappropriate Sophomoric Behavior."

From: Z112 West, Allen
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 04:48 PM
To: Wasserman Schultz, Debbie
Cc: McCarthy, Kevin; Blyth, Jonathan; Pelosi, Nancy; Cantor, Eric
Subject: Unprofessional and Inappropriate Sophomoric Behavior from Wasserman-Schultz

Look, Debbie, I understand that after I departed the House floor you directed your floor speech comments directly towards me. Let me make myself perfectly clear, you want a personal fight, I am happy to oblige. You are the most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member of the US House of Representatives. If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. Focus on your own congressional district!

I am bringing your actions today to our Majority Leader and Majority Whip and from this time forward, understand that I shall defend myself forthright against your heinous characterless behavior……which dates back to the disgusting protest you ordered at my campaign hqs, October 2010 in Deerfield Beach.

You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!

Steadfast and Loyal

Congressman Allen B West (R-FL)

Not surprisingly, a ton of people went bananas and started demanding apologies on behalf of Wasserman Schultz, who told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday that she was neither surprised nor phased by the attack.

"It isn’t surprising that he would react to the probably untold pressure that he’s getting from his constituents, whom he and I both represent, as I pointed out in debate on the House floor; represent thousands of senior citizens who, under this "Cut, Cap, and Balance" - really duck-dive and dismantle plan - that the Republicans are proposing, would face huge increases in their Medicare costs. It would end Medicare as we know it …

"If he can’t handle that pressure, can’t handle being called out in debate on the House floor, then he probably should change his position

"I think Congressman West really needs to understand that when we’re debating on the House floor, that’s what we do. We engage in back-and-forth. And if he can’t handle that – particularly on an issue as important to our constituents as Medicare - then he probably needs to reconsider his really ill-advised position on Medicare.”

West initially refused to back down, telling Fox News, "I think it's important to stake my ground. It was about enough is enough, and it's my right to say that. She is the one elevating this."

But by Wednesday afternoon rumors swirled that West had apologized to Wasserman Schultz, a claim Wasserman Schultz herself denied on CNN’s "The Situation Room" with Wolf Blitzer.

“That is absolutely untrue," she said. "I have not received an apology. I haven’t received a phone call. I know he has my email. I haven’t gotten an apology on my email, nor on my fax machine in my district office, nor my congressional office in the capitol, nor at the Democratic National Committee.”

And just in case anyone forgot for a moment that politics is awful, both the Democratic Party and Rep. West used the brouhaha to solicit donations.

Read More: http://www.mediaite.com/online/video-why-gop-rep-w...

• Brosia 2011/08/10 04:06:45
    No way, it was totally unprofessional and gross
    Brosia
    +1
    She was making a point, and she was accurate in her statement. He attacked her personally because she attacked his policies. How did she act unprofessionally? She didn't use his name, and only pointed out things that are public record. He made a stink about it, and that makes him a dick.
    It was a perfectly appropriate way to respond to a disagreement with a colleague
    Wasseman was lying about his positions so yes they were apprpoiate!
  • Raven2615 2011/07/26 23:00:24 (edited)
    Raven2615
    WTF gives Wasserman the right to accuse West being friends/ or associated with others in a motorcycle magazine?

-fear tactics (luv the show) using a Liberal angle ..women's rights or whatever....has met it's match.

*Can't stand the heat in the kitchen...I'll cook dinner...you suck anyways.
  • Starman 2011/07/26 20:01:40
    Starman
    +1
    Ms Wasserman Schultz made a reasoned appeal to the people of Florida and the US at large. Mr. West resorted to meaningless name calling. A childish response by someone who holds unsupportable positions. Unprofessional and inappropriate.
  • Sam 2011/07/26 08:40:07
    Sam
    +1
    Typing in an email that somebody should say something to your face.... Kind of shows the IQ's involved in those shenanigans.
  • juice 2011/07/25 19:58:42
    juice
    +1
    I think he has had just about enough and I admire him for standing up for himself! Just because she is a woman...hey all of you Fox Haters out thereDebbie Wasserman Schultz is on FOX NEWS now and then....OH NO! I don't like her politics but I listen and I go back to why I am a Conservative Republican, absolutely!
  • Tom 2011/07/25 00:27:53
    Tom
    He was definitely inappropriate. He can be angry, but don't be disrespectful
  • Stryder Tom 2011/07/26 12:02:50
    Stryder
    +1
    She's been nothing BUT disrespectful to him.
  • Tom Stryder 2011/07/26 20:26:45
    Tom
    Well I guest they both acted like children
  • Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/24 23:47:55 (edited)
    Ssgtwaldo
    +1
    From reading this the author has already made up her mind so why even ask the question? Almost 2 to 1 say West did the right thing. It sounds like Schultz is the one who can't stand the heat! West is for real folks. From what I've seen of him he doesn't think much of PC and neither do I.

"Venomous e-mail" Give me a freaking break! I've heard worse is Sunday school! Only a liberal would say that!!!

venomous e-mail freaking break ive heard sunday school liberal cry baby democrat
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/25 14:47:53 (edited)
    my2cents
    Almost 2 to 1 said West did the right thing? Of course, the conservatives on SodaHead are just as uncivilized as West is!

West will not go any further politically than he has. No one but a bunch of mean-spirited malcontents with conspiracy issues wants a mean-spirited bully with ego issues anywhere near someplace as powerful as the White House. If West can't handle something as common place as debate and disagreement on the House floor without popping his cork, he'd be better off running a totalitarian regime someplace else.
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/07/25 22:55:10
    Ssgtwaldo
    +1
    And of course you libs wouldn't believe West even if the truth hit you in the face. Liberals on SH would vote for Attila the Hun if he ran on a democrat or progressive platform...
    You mean like Obama popping his cork when he doesn't get his way. An speaking of "egos" ran democrat progressive platform obama popping cork speaking egos obamas ego ran democrat progressive platform obama popping cork speaking egos obamas ego
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/25 23:02:00
    my2cents
    What, your "proof" of Obama's ego is two dumb fabricated posters? Got anything in Obama's writing, anything that Obama has said in his own words? Didn't think so!

Hey, we've got real proof of West's fragile ego IN HIS OWN WORDS in an email. The guy has proven he can't take take the heat. We don't want a big baby like him blowing up the kitchen!
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/07/25 23:54:19 (edited)
    Ssgtwaldo
    +1
    I didn't offer that as proof of anything. However, I believe they both are true and they are funny.
    He "stormed" out of meetings with the "majority" leader all this last weekend! Anytime he didn't get his way.

BTW Barry has meet his match with Boehner. He won't just roll over for Barry. Boehner is doing the will of the people he represents. Not like Pelosi who just slobbered all over herself every time she was around her/your "dear leader" and who just couldn't wait to pop up and clap for her man.... Even when he says nothing!

West has been in situations in his military career that would scare Barry to death! West has more gonads than Barry could ever hope to have. And on top of all that West will work for the people and not for a progressive agenda like Barry. Barry is more interested in getting reelect than helping America and her people..
    Remember, people progressive agenda barry barry reelect helping america people remember

When Barry has the RIGHT to wear even one of Wests decorations come back and we will talk about it some more......

http://images.google.com/imag...
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/26 03:42:45 (edited)
    my2cents
    You believing something is true doesn't make it so. On the other hand, West has given us PROOF of his overly sensitive and fragile ego. Obama hasn't. And military combat isn't necessary for the office of President. If it were, W. Bush would have soiled his pants and run back to mommy and daddy in Texas. The President controls the military, not the other way around.

Typical right wing BS that Obama "stormed" out of anything. No Drama Obama doesn't "storm". You're so full of $hit your eyes are brown. Just like Sean Hannity's.

And Boehner is pathetic, Obama is light years ahead of him. The Tea Party has Boehner by the short hairs so much he can barely function. No wonder Boehner cries, anyone would in his situation! He desperately wants a deal with Obama, and like the budget that came before, Boehner will have to disappoint the Tea Party in order to govern. He's just waiting until the last possible minute to do it, just like he did with the budget. Boehner knows the debt ceiling has to be raised, and it will be. I'd feel sorry for Boehner if he weren't such a douche bag.

May as well give West a BJ now while you're on your knees worshipping him. Neither you nor he will ever see the inside of the White House.
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/07/26 05:03:02
    Ssgtwaldo
    +1
    Typical liberal BS and name calling when they have nothing to add.
    Speaking of proof, truth or facts you offer none. Just liberal rhetoric. Same words, phrases and hate.... I would feel sorry for you but alas you ain't worth it. You poor little thing you.
    And speaking of BJs, how was your beloved Obama? And remember you started it....
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/26 06:35:58
    my2cents
    I offer West's own words in his own email as my proof. You have nothing near as substantial to offer about Obama, because it doesn't exist. West has shown himself to be a bully with a fragile ego; Obama lets all the crap thrown at him just bounce off. Obama has the self-assurance and self-control that West obviously lacks. Someone should send West some cheese to go with his whine.

Better get that BJ in now. If you plan to wait until West is in the Oval Office, ala Clinton, ain't gonna happen.
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/07/26 06:57:25
    Ssgtwaldo
    +1
    I read it and it is not what you say. He is certainly nicer in that e-mail than you are to me and others on SH. But West does have class....

I never said I would vote for him. I do believe he is a better man than Barry ever was or will be. Would he make a good president? I don't know. Damned near anyone would be better than Barry Hussein Obama... Even Pat Paulson.....

Photobucket
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/26 17:27:33 (edited)
    my2cents
    Show me ANYTHING where Obama has gone off his nut calling a colleague vile, despicable, not a lady, etc. No Drama Obama doesn't do that, and the fact that West did shows he has little self-control, that the need to defend his ego trumps his common sense. No one wants a bully and a hot head in the Oval Office. His supporters may spin this episode like it's an asset, what more can they really do? But the reality is moderates will be turned off by it, REASONABLE people who expect dignity and restraint from their leaders do not like it. That's exactly what has caused Chris Christy's star to fade, he's a bully with a chip on his shoulder. People think a bully is great, until he turns on them. And eventually the bully always does.
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/07/26 22:48:49
    Ssgtwaldo
    This is just a few of the pages of report after report about your beloved Barry Hussein Obama storming out of meetings.. And you got a bully, a lier, and a progressive socialist in the oval office right now! Or have you forgotten the midnight votes, behind locked doors, shutting out the opposition to pass Barrys socialist style health care?
    Pull your head out and smell what you are shoveling. It ain't roses!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...
    http://slatest.slate.com/post...
    http://thenewamerican.com/usn...
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/...
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/27 04:34:03 (edited)
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/09/09 23:27:45
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/09/10 01:38:43 (edited)
    my2cents
    How do you know who's "more of a man"? How close are you to West?
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/09/12 01:23:00
    Ssgtwaldo
    Purple Heart, Bronze Star with "V" device for valor, The Legion of Merit with combat "V". To name a few.

Obama has the Nobel for being black. Well, half black. Real brave, I must say! In my book that makes him a much better man than a "community organizer" for a corrupt organization like ACORN!
  • my2cents Ssgtwaldo 2011/09/12 20:13:47
    my2cents
    How do you know West didn't get HIS military awards because he was black? You weren't there. If Obama got the Nobel simply for being black, then I'm sure West's blackness helped him out as well!
  • Ssgtwaldo my2cents 2011/09/14 21:50:38
    Ssgtwaldo
    Oh, but I was there! The awards I mentioned have nothing to do with race at all. They are awarded for valor above and beyond the call of duty. Something the spineless Obama knows nothing about! To him and especially his wife it's "dogs and soldiers keep off the grass".

The military was the first to desegregate. And you will get your ass busted real quick for any show of racism. They have zero tolerance for it.

Lets be correct, Obama was awarded the Nobel for being the first HALF black president of the United States. I'm still waiting for the first full blood native to take our rightful place as head state. You're all a bunch of illegal aliens and share croppers to me!

Obama gets slap in the face yet again in the NY special election where for the first time in 90 years a Republican took Wieners seat. Barry should be getting the message about now that the American people don't want anything to do with his socialist programs, or any other program he has tried to force upon America.

Impeach Obama, "and do it now"!
  • True Deal Ssgtwaldo 2011/09/08 17:05:25
    True Deal
    Why because he's a black man. W you walking around with a flight outfit on like he's a f*ckN pilot. But no ego there!
  • Ssgtwaldo True Deal 2011/09/09 23:36:28 (edited)
    Ssgtwaldo
    Bush was a f*ckN rated F-102 fighter pilot who flew intercept missions for the Texas Air Guard. One bad asses fighter in it's day. So that's a lie!

No, it's because he's a racist! And I'm 100% Native American, Comanche and Cherokee so your black man BS wont cut it with me. Besides, Barry is half white!
  • freakgirl 2011/07/24 18:34:22
    freakgirl
    +1
    that man is a jerk.......he owes her an apology and he needs to be kicked in tha nuts.....
  • my2cents freakgirl 2011/09/12 20:14:32
    my2cents
    +1
    hee hee
  • mark 2011/07/24 14:43:52
    mark
    I'm not really undecided. Unfortunately , this is just politics as usual. But Allen West is pretty high on the "nut" scale.
  • my2cents mark 2011/07/25 14:52:55
    my2cents
    That's why the conservatives on SodaHead worship at his feet.
  • Ssgtwaldo mark 2011/09/12 01:27:56
    Ssgtwaldo
    And Barry is pretty high on the "socialist" scale too... Not to mention the "racist" scale!
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2011/07/24 08:18:25
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    It was unprofessional and wrong, but does anyone else notice this piece of irony? He delivered this message by email (i.e. not to her face):

"If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face..."
  • my2cents Epistem... 2011/07/25 23:02:53
    my2cents
    This IS funny! Now he looks like an even bigger douche bag then he did before . . . .
  • Stryder Epistem... 2011/07/26 12:06:26
    Stryder
    +1
    Would you have rathered he had kicked in her door?
  • Ssgtwaldo Stryder 2011/09/12 01:29:37
    Ssgtwaldo
    +1
    Yes they would. More political publicity that way
  • Wayne 2011/07/24 04:46:18
    Wayne
    I think she deserved to be told, but not in a manner he did it in! He sounds so unprofessional. "Shut the heck up." Really? He sounds like a 10 year old. Believe me, I don't think she deserves to have it taken easy on, but could he really be a little more mature next time?
  • Mississippi lady 2011/07/24 03:11:49
    Mississippi lady
    Who does she think she is? Why does she deserves special treatment? She better wake up if she wants to play with the big boys.
  • taitaFa... Mississ... 2011/07/25 19:17:41
    taitaFalcon23
    she did; she called him out for his stance of policy - that IS how the big boys do it....

2014/10/23 09:26:47