Public schools: abolish them?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/04/19 13:49:00

The Ayn Rand world has no room for public schools. They indoctrinate
instead of educating, and far from protecting rights, often violate
them.

The Ayn Rand case against public schools

Ayn Rand herself said little about public schools per se. She said, often scathingly, that most schools do not properly teach children about their own moral worth. In Atlas Shrugged
she poured contempt on teachers who taught pupils to conform instead of
standing up for justice or their rights. But she said little about
public schools directly.

But in one essay
(“Man’s Rights”), she directly criticized the Democratic Party for its
1960 platform. In that platform the Democrats mentioned eight “rights”
that President Franklin D. Roosevelt said that every person should
expect from society. Those were not rights at all, but entitlements:
a job, “adequate” pay, guaranteed security, “a decent home,” “adequate
protection from economic fears,” and—the key—health care and education.

A single question added to each of [these guarantees] would make the issue clear: At whose expense?

In other words: these are goods and services. Someone has to
make them or do them. None of these have anything to do with protecting
real rights, and protecting people from one another.

Today, The Ayn Rand Institute says volumes
about public schools (and colleges and universities), and why free
citizens should abolish them. Thomas A. Bowden, in 2008, condemned a
California appellate judge for saying that children are State property. Of course, “State property” is a misnomer anyway; anything that the State holds is a common, not the property of any one person. The point here is that children are no\ one’s property or common. The adults who have responsibility for children are the parents or guardians, not the government.

The specific context of Bowden’s remarks is worse than the usual
context of “an entitlement from the State that other taxpayers must pay
for.” The defendant-appellant in that case chose to home-school her children, and a judge said that she may not do this. Why? Because

allowing every person to make his own standards on matters of conduct in which society as a whole has important interests

would lead somehow to social chaos.

Matters of conduct?

What “matters of conduct” do interest society? CNAV
can name at least five: do not murder, cheat, steal, lie, or covet.
What irony! These are the last five of the Ten Commandments. But public
schools must not teach anything called “The Ten Commandments.” That
would break “separation of church and state.” (Yet in California, no one
in authority objects to blending mosque and state. But CNAV digresses.) Furthermore, public school teachers teach their pupils to covet, both in lessons and by example.

Public schools do not work
School books in a public school

A stack of school books with an apple on top.

The most important reason that any parent wants to home-school his or
her children is that the public schools have failed. Trade media for
the public school “industry” admits as much. In 2011, according to School Library Journal, only thirty-two percent of Americans graduating from high school were proficient in math, and thirty-one percent proficient in reading. These figures come from a Harvard University study.

Detractors of American freedom often cite figures like these. But this study looked at all American students, most of whom graduated from public schools. The Harvard team broke their sample down by race, but not by public schools v. private schools or home-schooling. They took no interest in schooling other than public schools, schooling that might give better results.

By what authority?

But more important than whether public schools work or not, is: by what authority does government keep a school? Ayn Rand focused on one problem only: schooling is a service.
Student and teacher (or parent and teacher) decide together, by mutual
consent, how much that service is worth. When government does any
service, it decides what it is worth. (And often it decides
that a school needs more administrators, and secretaries for the same,
than teachers.)

The California court opinion that Thomas Bowden objected to,
illustrates a worse problem. When the government teaches your children,
it decides what to teach. Basic subjects like math and reading present little controversy, other than how well
the schools teach math and reading. But when teaching the “Social
Studies,” and even science, teachers can and do distort reality and
social memory. Adolf Hitler perfected the art of distorting social
memory, and using government schools to do it. So, too, did Josef Stalin
and Mao Zedong. Barack Hussein Obama and his “czars” learned their own
lessons well.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/04/19...

• Joel B... Joel B... 2012/05/03 00:04:47
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Why*
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/03 04:36:23
    big T
    +1
    I trust my naughbers I distrust the goverment.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/03 15:04:40
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Cool, you trust your *neighbors*. But for any society to function, there must be some level of trust between the government and the citizens, or you might as well just not vote and if you don't vote...don't complain.
  • Temlako... Joel B... 2012/05/03 15:36:44
    Just a minute, neighbor. So if you don't trust them, don't vote, and if you don't vote, don't complain. So if you don't trust them, you're stuck. Is that it?

That's the most ridiculous civics lesson I ever heard in my life.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/03 17:10:37
    big T
    +1
    I gave up my American citizenship so I cannot vote for the president but I can vote for who will be running for the presidents seat.in the White house. I am a Carolinian citizen not a American citizen.
  • Joel B... Temlako... 2012/05/03 21:20:45
    Joel	 Buccellato
    The reason behind voting is to get somebody you trust into office to make laws on your behalf. If you trust nobody, there's no point in voting. And if you don't express your opinion by attempting to make a change then don't complain
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/03 21:22:17
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Well I'm glad. The country could use less imbeciles as citizens.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/03 21:54:41
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/04 11:32:53
    Joel	 Buccellato
    And this is relevant how?
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/04 15:08:30 (edited)
    big T
    The U.S.A, is going right down the draine also. Mostly do to the Liberal,Democrat teachers union and the Liberal media.

We can either have a American civil war where only half of the American people will die or we can sit back and do nothing where only the entire future of this country will die.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/04 23:31:41
    Joel	 Buccellato
    War Hawks like you are the ones bringing down my country. If you gave up your citizenship, as you claim, leave this country and shut up.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/05 15:44:31
    big T
    +1
    Why shuold I leave ? it is just a matter of time before the majority of American's die for disease and old age. same with the western world the population no matter how big yoou might say it is does not matter at all to be honnest the only thing that will make a nation be able to sestaine its economy is a higher birth rate. a good example of a failed and dead economy and people is Japan the normal age in Japan is 54 years old less then 1.1/2 of the Japanese people in Japan is younger then 54 years old.

Canada is equaly as bad or perhaps even worse then that and the USA is right on the cusp of population decline Mexico is right on the cusp of population decline.

That is because of abortion and planned parent hood and every other pro death supporting group and also peoples prioritys have changed to having a higher edgucation and waiting till they are 32 to think about having children.

The sun is setting in the western world and the sun is rising and morning is coming in africa,india,middle east.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/05 21:54:42
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Because you threw away your citizenship. Almost like a rat, you hop on the ship when you see food but then leave when it starts to sink because you are physically incapable of mending it.

As far as your "morning rising" countries, only one has the education capacity to compete economically with the West. Oh, by the way, there are public schools in India, which are making them possible to compete. So maybe once we put more money into our schools we could become a fighting force again. Also, you sound shockingly western supremist with your worry about being passed up economically. The whole of Europe has been kicking our butts, but once India gives a shot, oh no! I don't want to play with the Delta children! Read Brave New World, see if that is where you want to live.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/06 18:07:52
    big T
    +1
    the western world is alot of old peoples and once the groups of th 1970's area is dead their wont be but a handful of people. this is what your type of people hve done to the western world. here are some birth rates.
    2012 birth rate in the usa
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/06 21:15:00
    Joel	 Buccellato
    This is extemporaneous to my post. And by the way, I could care less about the birth rates in third world countries. If you care so much as to find a graph about it, maybe you should get your citizenship there and try to fix it.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/06 21:51:25 (edited)
    big T
    +1
    Latin America is the U.S.A.. along with mexico and part of Canada.
    economic growth here we are on the decline .
    The USA used to have 2% unemployment.
    http://economistsview.typepad...
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/06 23:24:59
    Joel	 Buccellato
    They aren't part of the United States
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/07 00:07:13
    big T
    +1
    yes they are. either way the entire western world is dead already from the nucler power plant in Japan. already been seeing people all over the USA die fro breathing the radioactive are.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/07 10:45:51
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Have you seen Contagion?
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/08 20:23:20
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/08 21:41:49
    Joel	 Buccellato
    I could bet similar things happened with Chernobyl, worse probably because the Soviets didn't tell anyone. But, as I was asking if you have seen it, I was going to tell you that you are acting like Jude Law's character. Anyways, where do you find this information?
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/08 23:21:07
    big T
    +1
    it is not like it is very diffacult just type in the latest updates on Japan fukushia
    .
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/09 00:32:43
    Joel	 Buccellato
    +1
    Ok, well as I said Chernobyl was worse and we're still here so I have no care about Fukushima.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/09 00:43:29
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/09 01:15:19
    Joel	 Buccellato
    +1
    Well if we die, we die. There's not much one can do with radiation, especially one person of little consequence.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/09 01:58:15
    big T
    +1
    it is not a if did you hear what just washed up in Alaska. a blob of radiational junk washed up today the size of California I just heard on the news .
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/09 14:48:25
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Which channel or website?
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/09 16:14:25
    big T
    +1
    you work for the Liberal media teachers union so it is all the same in my eyes. So by telling you I wil be destroying theresistence that speaks the truth about the goverment.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/09 18:39:45
    Joel	 Buccellato
    +1
    Actually, I don't have a job as I recently turned18, ergo I cannot work for any union, which I never would as they should have been ad hoc societies. They have some usefulness but it is far overblown.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/09 18:47:38
    big T
    +1
    you can reasirch these things online im sure someone has madew web pages about these things.

I know if I give the name of the group out they will be in trouble with the feds. I had to be careful my life was on the line posting this information on here and I got the federal goverment called and threatened to shut me up if I keep giving out information they want to hide.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/09 21:53:42
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Ok
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/09 23:17:42
    big T
    +1
    it is nothing personal at all but I do not want to put others at risk.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/10 02:53:29
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Ok. This isn't a George Orwell or an Ayn Rand novel. I've looked up plenty of sketchy things before and talked about them and I haven't gotten any calls or knocks on my door. My tin hat must be what's keeping me safe.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/10 15:48:42
    big T
    +1
    must be. ot perhaps your state is not under goverment aggression.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/10 17:25:42
    Joel	 Buccellato
    That must be it because an aggressive and corrupt government can afford to not coerce some states, or even allow states to exist.

The fact that we still have states is proof enough that we are not turning into a tyrannical state
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/10 17:41:58
    big T
    +1
    how long do you think that is gonna last?
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/10 19:07:22
    Joel	 Buccellato
    Long enough. We can still travel to most places. I'd imagine that'd be the first to start disappearing. Nobody's drafting up a new constitution so we're pretty safe.
  • big T Joel B... 2012/05/10 19:29:36
    big T
    +1
    acyualy Obama and his adminestration has tryed to rewrite the American constitution and the pledge of alleigence. and Obama has tride to change the national flag of America.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/11 11:25:09
    Joel	 Buccellato
    The Constitution was written to be rewritten so long as by popular sovereignty. As far as rewriting the Pledge, 1) why do you care Mr. Ex Patriate 2) not the first to try it. And the flag jas also been changed around, it used to be a stripe and star for every state.
  • Joel B... big T 2012/05/11 11:28:51
    Joel	 Buccellato
    +1
    Oh, none of the videos said Obama put his face on that flag.

2014/04/20 10:49:47