PUBLIC OPINION > Vietnam's Smoking Ban Is a Good Idea

Vietnam passed a landmark bill recently banning public smoking completely. Some places in the States have banned smoking in certain public places, like schools and bars -- Vietnam did the same in 2010. But in Vietnam, those limited bans weren't working, and some organizations projected 70,000 deaths per year in the country by 2030. So the country upped the ante and extended the ban. We asked the public if it's a good idea.

There was plenty of opposition, but in the end, most people agreed the ban was acceptable. We wouldn't go so far as to call it a "great" idea, based on results, but it did win a majority vote. There was, of course, plenty of opposition from those suggesting smoking should be a choice, regardless of the consequences. Still, a complete ban would theoretically cut back on annual deaths. That's definitely a plus.

Smokers Say Heck Naw

Since smokers make up approximately 19% of the populations (17% in the context of this poll), we should probably point out the difference in opinion between smokers and nonsmokers. Nearly three-fourths of non-smokers think the ban sounds like a great idea; however, a mere eight percent of smokers agree. If nearly half of Vietnam's male population smokes (currently 47.4%), they'll have a hard time enforcing this law.

Liberals Lay Down the Law

Outside of the smoking demographic, there were a couple of very strong correlations. Politics, for example, brought out a 36% difference in opinion. Only 36% of conservatives felt a complete public smoking ban would be a good idea, while exactly twice the percentage of liberals felt the same. Usually, progressives and libertarians prove to be extremes, but in this case liberals took the strongest approach on the issue.

Older Voters Oppose

There was one demographic that was even more telling than politics: age. The age gap here fell at about 25 years old, where support for the ban more than doubled. Most likely, these are young people who have lost loved ones to cigarettes, or at least people who have heard horror stories. Older voters have no doubt lost loved ones as well, but they've seen the decisions made first-hand, and have perhaps come to believe that those deaths were preventable by the deceased.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Vietnam's smoking ban. We'd love to hear from you!

• KaTy BeAr 2012/06/20 16:43:47
    KaTy BeAr
    +8
    Seriously? It's a TERRIBLE idea! And I'm not even a smoker. That is absolutely RIDICULOUS outright ban smoking publicly. Way too extreme.

• Jiorgia DizziNY 2012/06/24 17:42:06
    Jiorgia
    Thanks for the spelling correction, I thought that it looked wrong.
    The rest of your sentence however does not make sense, so i suggest you rephrase.
  • Jiorgia jerry.a... 2012/06/23 02:22:12
    Jiorgia
    +1
    No that is right, the smoke in the air is not going to harm anybody unless it is concentrated, like in an inclosed room or coming straight from the cigarette itself.
    If you are going to play that card, every single person there ever was and has ever been has littered.
    I always make a conscious effort to not litter my butts, I even carry an old mint tin for my butts if I cant find a bin.
  • jerry.a... Jiorgia 2012/06/23 04:25:08
    jerry.alan.carroll
    Accrdoing to a recent Air Force study, unless someone is at least 15 meters from the smoke, dispersal as you are referring to is not as effective as you would be led to believe. folks that smoke right near by entrances of buildings are creating the exact same atmosphere as someone inside a building with active air conditioning. As long as smokers keep away from areas that folks can't help but pass through, they are no better than someone smoking inside of a building.
  • Jiorgia jerry.a... 2012/06/23 04:58:23
    Jiorgia
    +1
    Is that harming them or can they smell it?

You need a high concentration or a long/constant exposure of smoke for it to be harmful.
    Ofcourse being around it all of the time is harmful (which is why people shouldn't smoke around their kids) but just walking past a smoker a couple of times a day is not going to give anyone cancer.

Yes they should be out of doorways and they should be considerate to others, but they aren't actually HARMING anyone but themselves if they are outside.
  • DizziNY Jiorgia 2012/06/24 17:36:29
    DizziNY
    ENCLOSED* .. and BUZZ wrong again. Second hand smoke effects you wether or not it is in an enclosed place or not. If you can smell it, that means it is going into your lungs.
  • Jiorgia DizziNY 2012/06/24 17:52:14
    Jiorgia
    Actually it is either (inclose is dated but still used), look it up.
    *whether

Scent particles are not carcinogenic, the scent alone can not cause you any harm, like I said, you need a high concentration or a long/constant exposure of smoke for it to cause you any harm what-so-ever.
  • Christo... Jiorgia 2012/08/13 19:48:22
  • Christo... jerry.a... 2012/08/11 13:01:22
  • jerry.a... Christo... 2012/08/11 13:37:44
    jerry.alan.carroll
    i can honestly say I never have. Been tought at a very young age that it was very bad.and the fact that you assume I would have says a lot about your character.
  • Christo... America... 2012/08/13 19:46:29
  • dragon88 2012/06/21 20:02:06
    dragon88
    +1
    Bad idea. Let them smoke they are only harming themselves.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/06/21 19:35:59
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    EXTREMELY BAD IDEA!!! what are tobacco farmers going to do ??? WHERE IS FREEDOM OF CHOICE??? I DO NOT EVEN SMOKE !!!
  • DizziNY Margare... 2012/06/24 17:38:32
    DizziNY
    +1
    Where's MY freedom of CHOICE to BREATHE? Keep your disgusting habit to yourself.If you want to kill yourself with smoke or by any other means, go ahead, IT'S YOUR RIGHT. Just don't hurt others when you do it.
  • Sheila 2012/06/21 16:56:36
    Sheila
    +2
    Welcome to socialism/communism. You have to be a bit scared by the breakdown on the vote.
  • rockyjr5 2012/06/21 16:15:53
    rockyjr5
    +1
    I think that it's a good idea, because it will keep the people alive a little more longer.
  • T A rockyjr5 2012/06/21 17:21:55 (edited)
    T A
    +1
    According to your theory, so would banning driving, swimming, ice cream, bath tubs, etc. Anyway this doesn't save lives since all government laws are backed by violence and guns in the end. Moreover, enforcement of that law comes through taking income (forced labor) from others through force as well. Or in the case of communism, directly through forced labor. How is it in any way moral to force non-smokers to labor for the enforcement of a choice to live a potentially shortened life by smokers who choose to take that chance?
  • rockyjr5 T A 2012/06/21 22:40:31
    rockyjr5
    All of those things will not give you lung cancer, yellow teeth, etc.All of those things are by smoking.
  • Jiorgia rockyjr5 2012/06/22 00:06:14
    Jiorgia
    no driving can kill you and innocent bystanders, swimming you can drown, ice cream i assume is used as an example of something that can cause obesity and then cause a whole myriad of diseases including diabetes which can kill you if left untreated, you can drown in a bath you can fall over and hit your head on the side of the bath tub etc.
    they can all kill you.
  • T A Jiorgia 2012/06/22 01:49:18
    T A
    +1
    Thank you. That was exactly my intent. And violating prohibition laws is most dangerous of all.
  • T A rockyjr5 2012/06/22 01:48:21
    T A
    Yellow teeth? Really?
  • Christo... rockyjr5 2012/06/22 15:55:41
  • Christo... rockyjr5 2012/06/22 15:54:21
  • bleep 2012/06/21 15:34:43
    bleep
    Smoking probbably only kills 80 year olds.
  • Maryos3 bleep 2012/06/21 22:43:48
    Maryos3
    Second hand smoke causes more illness than the smoker him or herself. The 2nd hand smoke has chemicals in it that causes irritation to the lungs. We all need to breathe - so if smokers want to smoke, let them smoke outside. We do that here already in the USA. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. It makes me cough every time someone lights up. It tickles my throat and if I am eating something have to stop because the lack of fresh air and tickle that comes from the 2nd hand smoke. I suggest you also visit some cancer wards and find out people who smoke don't live to be 80 years old. Today's cigarette filters have so many chemicals in it to make it more addictive than it used to be say 50 years ago.
  • Jiorgia Maryos3 2012/06/22 00:06:56
    Jiorgia
    +1
    if the smokers are already outside then second hand smoke is not a problem.
  • Jiorgia bleep 2012/06/22 00:09:04
    Jiorgia
    The types of death the smoking can cause start at about 45-50.
    Cancers especially, my father died at 52 from a stomach cancer caused by his smoking.
  • caius madison 2012/06/21 14:44:37
  • ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    It would only make sense if there were restrictions on (polluting) motor vehicles, restaurants & factories as well. An encompassing CLEAN AIR ACT.
  • phil 2012/06/21 14:41:06 (edited)
    phil
    +1
    Bad habit. It kills stop if U do. Good move to ban it
  • Ginger 2012/06/21 14:34:56
    Ginger
    People are use to this here too since about 2007 . Its wonderful and i dont remember how it was in public places someone who smoke near to you . Really good idea , now people dont smoke in my house and half dont even smoke in their car but unfortunately for them they keep buy cigarettes .
  • MorrowJenifer 2012/06/21 13:13:46
  • raine 2012/06/21 11:47:21
    raine
    +1
    Oh a great idea. Smokers are a big bunch of slow suicides and try to take everyone else along with them with the second hand poison fumes. I can't believe anyone would smoke with the facts available. I saw my dad die with lung disease caused by smoking too much. Nobody would like that JUST STOP SMOKING NOW!!
  • Andrea raine 2012/06/21 13:55:48
    Andrea
    +1
    My best friend died at the age of 30 from lung disease and lung cancer. She had never smoked a cigarette in her life. Everything will kill you these days. Even ball bats. Do you think they should ban those too? More people have died by alcohol than cigarettes. Maybe that should be banned. Maybe cars should be banned since they can kill.
  • Ginger Andrea 2012/06/21 14:44:03
    Ginger
    Someone people have lung disease without smoke but most people could have it because of cigarette . My mother has no problem with her lungs even if she used to smoke thats like everything its not because there are exceptions that smoke is a good thing , cigarettes give disease for most . Smoke isnt good for heart , lungs , teeth , hairs , skin , for one's self , for baby during pregnancy , just show example to children !!! Cigarettes isnt even good for the person who smoke thats the big difference with cars .
  • Maryos3 Andrea 2012/06/21 22:50:12
    Maryos3
    Your friend probably died from 2nd hand smoke. Smoking in the workplace and public places like restaurants, etc. has been banned in the USA. HOWEVER, if you live with a smoker and he/she is NOT considerate of your health, and smokes in the house, you too will be sick. There is a very nice young lady, about 30ish - she lives with a smoker and he does smoke in the house. She said she can't stand it. It turns out, just about 3 months ago, she went in for a cancer operation on her throat, lymph nodes, and I think her thyroid was also not good. She has undergone the operation, had some radiation, and is back at work. I told her she has to tell her husband to smoke outside. His smoking I'm sure caused it - she does not smoke, never has.
  • Andrea Maryos3 2012/06/22 15:11:45
    Andrea
    +1
    My friend was not around smokers. Her family did not smoke. She was unable to work. She had a muscle disorder from birth and was pretty much sheltered her whole life. I am not saying she never went out in public but she was not around smokers to the extent that medical science says is needed to get cancer. People get cancer and die. There are people who smoke all their lives and do not die from cancer. Case in point, a neighbor of ours is 87, has smoked all his life, and is healthy as a horse.

People will die. Everyone will die from something or nothing. Like I said, more people die in auto accidents than they do from smoking. No one bans cars.
  • Christo... Andrea 2012/06/22 15:57:09
  • Andrea Christo... 2012/06/22 16:00:12
    Andrea
    You have scientific evidence to back you up? Troll that. Next.
  • AngelArs raine 2012/06/22 00:06:22
    AngelArs
    Easier said than done. Do you have any idea how many ADDICTIVE chemicals are added to cigarettes? There's a reason for that.
  • Skye 2012/06/21 07:50:48 (edited)
    Skye
    +3
    Very good. Let's do the same, U.S.! Plus keep in mind. Just smelling the smoke is dangerous. People die from that as well. When I was little (and still to this day) I get VERY sick just by smelling a little bit of smoke. I get HORRIBLE headaches that last for hours, and urges to throw up. This smoking ban is a great idea.

2014/09/17 17:41:40