PUBLIC OPINION > Vietnam's Smoking Ban Is a Good Idea

Vietnam passed a landmark bill recently banning public smoking completely. Some places in the States have banned smoking in certain public places, like schools and bars -- Vietnam did the same in 2010. But in Vietnam, those limited bans weren't working, and some organizations projected 70,000 deaths per year in the country by 2030. So the country upped the ante and extended the ban. We asked the public if it's a good idea.

There was plenty of opposition, but in the end, most people agreed the ban was acceptable. We wouldn't go so far as to call it a "great" idea, based on results, but it did win a majority vote. There was, of course, plenty of opposition from those suggesting smoking should be a choice, regardless of the consequences. Still, a complete ban would theoretically cut back on annual deaths. That's definitely a plus.

Smokers Say Heck Naw

Since smokers make up approximately 19% of the populations (17% in the context of this poll), we should probably point out the difference in opinion between smokers and nonsmokers. Nearly three-fourths of non-smokers think the ban sounds like a great idea; however, a mere eight percent of smokers agree. If nearly half of Vietnam's male population smokes (currently 47.4%), they'll have a hard time enforcing this law.

Liberals Lay Down the Law

Outside of the smoking demographic, there were a couple of very strong correlations. Politics, for example, brought out a 36% difference in opinion. Only 36% of conservatives felt a complete public smoking ban would be a good idea, while exactly twice the percentage of liberals felt the same. Usually, progressives and libertarians prove to be extremes, but in this case liberals took the strongest approach on the issue.

Older Voters Oppose

There was one demographic that was even more telling than politics: age. The age gap here fell at about 25 years old, where support for the ban more than doubled. Most likely, these are young people who have lost loved ones to cigarettes, or at least people who have heard horror stories. Older voters have no doubt lost loved ones as well, but they've seen the decisions made first-hand, and have perhaps come to believe that those deaths were preventable by the deceased.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Vietnam's smoking ban. We'd love to hear from you!

• KaTy BeAr 2012/06/20 16:43:47
    KaTy BeAr
    +8
    Seriously? It's a TERRIBLE idea! And I'm not even a smoker. That is absolutely RIDICULOUS outright ban smoking publicly. Way too extreme.

• Mog of War 2012/06/20 17:30:29
    Mog of War
    +1
    They are a sovereign nation, who's constitutional rights do not include the right to smoke in public. They can do this.
  • T A Mog of War 2012/06/21 21:15:47
    T A
    What constitutional rights? It's a communist country. The politburo is the only sovereign entity there. So while they may be a sovereign nation among nation states, that has nothing to do with the way the people are subjugated.
  • Mog of War T A 2012/06/21 22:17:51
    Mog of War
    It's a communist country yes, but under it's own government. China's government doesn't control theirs or even care to. The people chose their side, and are dealing with the consequences. As it is, public smoking bans are all over the place In the United States, so we better fix that if we're to complain about them. Not that sucking on a poisonous stick has any real place anymore. It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't do anything, other than poison the smoker. It just sticks around because people get chemically addicted to it, society stubbornly holds onto it, and it makes some people lots of money. Yet I'll find myself among the people going "not in my back yard" when some commies propose such a ban.
  • T A Mog of War 2012/06/22 01:45:55
    T A
    The majority of those people were born after the war. The only choice they make is not to be killed by their government for opposing it.

What does China have to do with this?

As far as the U.S. goes, I do complain (impotently). About smoking bans, bacon-dog bans, trans-fat bans, etc. I complain about the nanny state because it is an evil usurpation of the individual's self governance.
  • robbt1 2012/06/20 17:24:12
    robbt1
    +5
    Criminalizing a popular recreational drug! That ALWAYS works.
  • ««Ginge... robbt1 2012/06/20 17:49:27
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    They're not criminalizing tobacco. You just won't be able to smoke it in public, where other people have to breathe.
  • JoshuaMeeks 2012/06/20 17:01:01
    JoshuaMeeks
    +4
    Its going to make cigarettes high in demand and make cigarette traffickers rich, like the prohibition all over again.
  • Rebecca Ells 2012/06/20 16:51:58
    Rebecca Ells
    thats not gonna work
  • TimothyBrianFoley 2012/06/20 16:47:06
    TimothyBrianFoley
    guess they care about their health
  • T A Timothy... 2012/06/21 21:17:20
    T A
    Don't smoke or we'll shoot is caring for persons' health?
  • KaTy BeAr 2012/06/20 16:43:47
    KaTy BeAr
    +8
  • Chris D 2012/06/20 16:41:57
    Chris D
    good luck enforcing that...
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/06/20 16:34:10
  • Andy 2012/06/20 15:00:13
    Andy
    +3
    don't give a damn 'bout veat nam.
    former smoker: 3 cartons a week non-filters. Super glad able to stop. BUT government has as much business in smoking/non smoking as with consensual sex (here, for me a moral position, same sex activity NOT normal...but that's my moral stance and you take it from there). Bear in mind,please, that it's possible public opinion could change, and non-smokers become more tolerant of this addictive behavior; from my personal standpoint, as noxious as I find the smell-stench- I think of most of the smoking-in-public-ban supporters ( here I specify, certainly not all persons ), most ban-the-butt enthusiasts are self righteous, do it my way or I'll pout, types who, if they could, would ban obesity or goiter or whatever the latest hated behavior may be. (It could be as simple a thing as spelling "behavior" without the letter "u".)
    Down with Goiters! AAARGH!

2014/07/22 23:41:48