PUBLIC OPINION > The Teacher Who Left His Wife for a Student Made a Big Mistake

Every once in a while, "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by The Police hits a little close to home. In the case of James Hooker (41) and Jordan Powers (18), it's just like the song. The girl is less than half his age, and they both seem to be into it. A therapist has gone on record to compare Hooker to a sex offender, calling him "pathologically immature," but similar accusations were made about Doug Hutchison (51) and Courtney Stodden (16) and many observers defended him. Good Morning America took a public poll on this new story. Let's see how people voted.

This one was a little obvious, but the main reason we decided to recap it was to take a look at the demographic breakdowns. But before we get to that, we thought it'd be interesting to dig into the comments attached to "Okay" votes. Most people who let the affair slide were simply unwilling to get involved in the couple's business. Regardless of what may have happened before, she's 18 now and capable of making her own decisions. For his part, quite a few wrote it off as a "mid-life crisis" and predicted a swift end to the relationship, once the reality of the situation sets in. Yes, there were a handful of what you might call "supporters," but they were few and far between. Now, on to the demos...

Men Are More Willing to Consent

As you may have suspected, the male voters were less disturbed by the story. They were more than twice as likely to vote "Okay," with exactly a third of them throwing in for Mr. Hooker. Judging by the comments, female voters were not only more likely to say it's a mistake, but more adamant about it, as well.

More Support From His Age Group

We singled out Powers' and Hooker's age groups specifically to find out what their peers might think, and believe it or not, teens and young adults are more likely to criticize the relationship than people closer to the man's age. Strong words in the staff room, perhaps, but not as strong as the words in the classroom.

Complication Like Company

There wasn't much sympathy in any of the relationship demographics -- certainly not from married voters -- but respondents who listed their relationship as "complicated" did show some. Presumably, it's easier to relate to a complicated emotional attachment when you're involved in one yourself.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit Good Morning America's poll about James Hooker and Jordin Powers. We'd love to hear from you!

• beverly.hargrove 2012/03/06 23:33:21
    beverly.hargrove
    +14
    Let's see..Neither have a job. She's gonna get bored with him sooner or later...I vote for sooner. All his friends are his age and she still has friends her age...Heck he may even fool around with her friends since he likes them younger..Not in my top trust catagory.

• Chris 2012/03/07 07:19:00
    Chris
    +2
    As a 27 year old man I can say teenage girls are still hot. Way to score dude! Kidding. It's wrong. His wife was more dedicated to him than she probably will be. What was he thinking?!!
  • Get Bashed 2012/03/07 06:51:28
    Get Bashed
    +2
    What an idiot! Being 41 means you are already living in routine, being 18 is practicing independence...this cannot work. Who leaves their Wife to follow around their 18 year old girlfriend and her friends, all the while feeling like a third wheel. You'll never fit in man!
  • Freebird 2012/03/07 06:48:49
    Freebird
    +1
    He looks like a damn fool.
  • Common Sense Conservative 2012/03/07 06:11:22
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    He should have his @ss kicked and her parents are idiots.
  • DavidK 2012/03/07 06:08:40
    DavidK
    +3
    Its his wee-wee leading him down the pedophile path. It was a mistake from the beginning and he knew it.
    +4
    Well ..
    NOW he doesn't have a job .. the Divorce Settlement is definitely going to go against him (due to shacking up with the girl -- who also doesn't have a job) ..
    HER (the girl's Parents) are also pressing law enforcers for investigating if charges can be filed ..

BOTH are going to find things .. well .. rough indeed .. and when you can't pay bills .. guess what happens next .. (oh, don't expect much time to pass to find out there's no .. couple .. anymore .. )
  • Centuri... sglmom 2012/03/08 16:20:17
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The boy certainly seems to be thinking with the wrong head.

The girl is not yet old enough and wise enough to understand that he has shown that he cannot be trusted.
  • Angecael 2012/03/07 05:54:38
    Angecael
    +3
    It was stupid to leave his wife.
    However if she is 18 then its none of my business.
  • aneed2know Angecael 2012/03/07 12:04:22
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/07 04:52:14
    wtxwoman
    +1
    If she has been his student, which pretty much tells us he was fooling around with her when she was underage and he was breaking the law, then he should be fired and put in jail. Otherwise, it is two consenting adults, age doesn't matter.
  • DavidK wtxwoman 2012/03/07 06:10:51
    DavidK
    +1
    age doesn't matter in this case?!?!?!? please....... who's going to support who? How long to you think they will last? really.........
  • wtxwoman DavidK 2012/03/07 15:50:28
    wtxwoman
    I've known of several May/Dec marriages that worked. Truely adult persons can get past any difference if they choose to, it's a matter of commitment. What rankles about this story is she was most certainly underage when they started their affair.
  • DavidK wtxwoman 2012/03/07 20:39:19
    DavidK
    +1
    I know of many marriages that worked Jan - December but today it is far too easy to get a divorce. That is why most young people today choose to live together rather then make the commitment. This teacher knows this and was not looking for the long term commitment. He was looking to have a little fun at the cost of loosing his marriage and the young girls virginity.
  • wtxwoman DavidK 2012/03/07 21:01:24
    wtxwoman
    I have no doubt you are right, but his objectives and behavior have nothing to do with his age or the difference of her's.
  • DavidK wtxwoman 2012/03/07 21:25:06
    DavidK
    Sure it did. He's married and experienced sexually. The fact that he has lived longer, experienced more where she isn't, makes her vulnerable. He clearly knows that and his agenda certainly wasn't the same as hers. Who you trying to convince otherwise?!?!? She's looking for a daddy figure and he's looking for a vulnerable girl he can coax into fulfilling his fantasy. He knows it won't last, she doesn't. Believe what you want but this is how it is.......
  • wtxwoman DavidK 2012/03/08 00:12:25
    wtxwoman
    I meant that he was a slimeball to begin with, her age didn't cause him to go off the rails.
  • DavidK wtxwoman 2012/03/08 04:10:41
    DavidK
    +1
    his peter did.
  • Jack DavidK 2012/03/07 22:58:48
    Jack
    +1
    Virginity! haha an 18 year old highschool virgin??? I'm not saying they don't exist but they're rarer than hen's teeth.

I think she knows exactly what she's doing. She's just using him to get out from under mom's thumb. I've seen it before, as soon as a young man comes along who can take care of her this guy will be history. Why does everyone assume she is an innocent girl being taken advantage of and not just another conniving woman.
  • S.Lewis Jack 2012/03/08 00:21:13
    S.Lewis
    You make a good point. :) I never thought of their situation like that. I was blaming him.
  • DavidK Jack 2012/03/08 04:16:17
    DavidK
    never said she was a virgin. They both had agendas and you're right, it does take two to tango. She has as much to loose as he does.
  • Jack DavidK 2012/03/08 05:21:11
    Jack
    You said: "He was looking to have a little fun at the cost of loosing his marriage and the young girls virginity."

That is the comment I was responding to.
  • shadow76 2012/03/07 04:48:19
    shadow76
    +2
    That is just not right.
  • Wolfstar 2012/03/07 04:45:04
    Wolfstar
    +6
    A "relationship" with an 18yo ... not a good idea.
    As time goes by ....
    She will want to be more active.
    He will want to be more sedate.
    She will get bored.
    He'll become insecure.
    She'll cheat.
    Payback for robbing the cradle.
  • TheR 2012/03/07 04:43:53
    TheR
    +2
    Big Mistake or not, one must ask why he left his wife? What happened there? Clearly they were not happy. So why should couples who are not in love stay together? They stay together for the sake of what? Morality? Social Appearance? Because they are the same age? Now that is ridiculous.

What would have been more interesting is if he married his wife who was a widow and she had a daughter, thereby becoming his step daughter. After living several years in the same household and the daughter becomes older in fact 21 years of age, the mother becomes jealous of her daughter, and files for divorce because she is afraid her husband will abandon her for her daughter, and moves out.

And I have to say do not just think males have this situation, because I know personally how in High School, my girl friends mother got me drunk at 15 years old, and raped me. Later having me move into the household and wanting me to be sick so I could not go to School, so she could have her affair.

That was tough for me, because I really was in love with the daughter when I was in high School. I left the household and became a hermit, living away from people. never getting married when I lived in the USA.

Now 54 and still not married. Maybe Mr. Hooker is right! At least he has someone. To be clear...

Now 54 and still not married. Maybe Mr. Hooker is right! At least he has someone. To be clear there is too much pain in Love. Maybe we should be happy he didn't leave his wife for a male student instead.
    Gay photo
  • Mother nature is biased 2012/03/07 04:16:44 (edited)
    Mother nature is biased
    I wouldn't do that (18 is too immature but 23 is usually ok). But realistically Western women get ugly quick after age 35 or so. Just don't get hitched to one in the first place.
  • Aader 2012/03/07 04:12:55
    Aader
    +3
    Yippee do dah. I guess its time for them to get there own reality show. Pervert.
  • taylor Aader 2012/03/07 05:21:05
  • Soup Man 2012/03/07 04:09:23
    Soup Man
    Dum
  • Texas Johnny 2012/03/07 04:02:15
    Texas Johnny
    +5
    When I turned 21, I thought 19year olds were too immature!! 41 and 18? Friggin cradle robbing SOB!!!
  • The Storm 2012/03/07 03:54:03
  • wtxwoman The Storm 2012/03/07 15:52:15
    wtxwoman
    Where did you get the picture of my sister?
  • Mickey 2012/03/07 03:52:47 (edited)
    Mickey
    +1
    I thought we couldnt control who we fell in love with and I thought that we shouldnt have to hide our feelings because others dont agree with our feelings..... Am I missing something.... 2 Adults fall in love... I keep hearing that we need to be tollerant of 2 adults falling in love, no matter if we agree their relationship or not.... hmmmmm double standard here maybe
  • wtxwoman Mickey 2012/03/07 15:53:50
    wtxwoman
    But, you can control who you fall in love with, or, at least, control your behavior.
  • Mickey wtxwoman 2012/03/07 16:15:50
    Mickey
    Ok.. again, 2 consenting adults falling in love.... unless they prove he was guilty of statutory rape, there is nothing wrong here....
  • wtxwoman Mickey 2012/03/07 17:42:59
    wtxwoman
    I agree with that, I was commenting on your statement because you said we can't control who we fall in love with.
  • Mindlesspartyhack 2012/03/07 03:35:39
    Mindlesspartyhack
    +2
    Very disturbing
  • taylor mixedsi... 2012/03/07 05:24:25
    taylor
    +2
    Please just shut up about the singles dating club we are here to see other peoples opinions not ur stupid i don't even know what to call it I guess dating advertisement me find love on our own yea OUR OWN as shown above the stupid adults marrying eachother
  • LucyLucero 2012/03/07 03:29:13
    LucyLucero
    +3
    He's old enough to be her dad. Nuff said.
  • eagle8 2012/03/07 03:23:56
    eagle8
    +1
    Not that I agree with it by any means, I mean yea she's 18, making her own decisions, but she's still a kid, and I shouldn't talk cause i don't know him or her personally but I think she has lots of things to experience yet before being able to make good choices in life and I think he at 41 is taking advantage of her being naive....but I'm sure nature will course correct on this one eventually....but really... the shock factor is more the student/teacher relationship. Truth be known, there's probably more 41yo men dating 18yo women than we all know about!

2014/09/02 12:13:46