PUBLIC OPINION > The Heart Attack Grill Is Still Worth a Try

Call it irony or call it fate, but The Heart Attack Grill lived up to its name this weekend when a man went into cardiac arrest at its Las Vegas location. While eating a Triple Bypass Burger. Customers were amused at what they assumed was a publicity stunt, but Jon Basso, the chain's owner, assures the press it was not. However, it did generate publicity, and you know what they say: There's no such thing as bad publicity. Unless you're Kim Kardashian or Anthony Weiner. At 2000 calories a patty, the Bypass Burger is simulateously horrifying and fascinating. But how many people would actually try it?

Man Has Heart Attack at Heart Attack Grill: Would You Ever Eat There?

60% Would Give It a Try

Not many people were turned off by the heart attack. Many voters pointed out that you can't get a heart attack from a single burger. One commenter wrote, "Arteries don't clog and burst from one meal -- it takes YEARS of bad eating to get that far." It's all about moderation and balance. That said, a healthy amount of people refused to go near the place. Some even went so far as to suggest it be shut down, specifically because it offers rewards for being overweight.

Overweight Are All Over It

The Heart Attack Grill is clearly meant to appeal to the overweight, so naturally the first place we went for some demographics was weight type. It turns out voters who claimed to be above average weight were 20% more likely to eat there than slim voters and 16% more likley than average weight voters. Interestingly, athletes were only 5% behind the overweight, and all of the bodybuilders said they'd go.

Smokers Are So

The chain's owner says they just have a "morbid sense of humor," but there are clearly health risks involved with a meal like this. You might not keel over from a Triple Bypass Burger alone, but if you have high cholesterol or other related health issues, it's not the best route to take. Smokers threw caution to the wind with 76% saying they'd go.

Liberals Don't Like the Idea

Unfortunately, politics are even following us to the kitchen. Liberals and conservatives just couldn't see eye-to-eye on this one, making the political spectrum the most divisive. Consevatives were 38% more likely to try it out than liberals -- more than twice the margin between Christians and atheists.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about The Heart Attack Grill. We'd love to hear from you!

• Grandbrother 2012/02/16 18:26:11 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    +6
    The conservative/liberal breakdown is interesting to me. I used to eat as much of whatever I wanted, until I had a check-up in my early 30's that revealed cholesterol levels about to exceed the safe zone and I got tired of my slowly developing man-boobs. So for the past couple years, I've been exercising 5-6 times a week and eating a healthy, balanced diet. I'm now literally in the best shape of my life, and I feel fantastic. So why should that be a conservative/liberal thing I wonder? Why isn't it just a human thing to lean towards being healthy and feeling great with the added bonus of looking good too? Particularly when you consider the religiosity of most conservatives, who would likely advocate the body as god-given temple that warrants respect and care.

• ChynaP 2012/02/27 19:16:19
    ChynaP
    ....thats just kinda disgusting...
  • Jacqui 2012/02/25 23:13:49
    Jacqui
    Why not, at least they are truthful about their food. Not like the big burger chains.
  • caron.lade 2012/02/22 16:46:26
    caron.lade
    your choice, but not for me!
  • Timmy 2012/02/21 22:58:28
    Timmy
    Your choice and thats the way it should stay.
  • Aahz_OneAndOnly 2012/02/20 10:29:39
    Aahz_OneAndOnly
    I'd try it
  • Mark 2012/02/18 22:04:52
    Mark
    That looks absolutely fabulous. As a courier and truck driver I have a physique that complies with the stereotype. Actually I lie. I am really overweight lol.
    On my trips I have some serious breakfasts and fry-ups.
    The biggest so far was on the outskirts of Telford.
    Five each of sausages, rashers of bacon, black pudding, beefburgers, eggs, loads of tomatoes, beans and mushrooms, 5 x hashbrowns, slices of bread, fried bread and toast and what topped it off was a load of chips. There was a prize, a free t-shirt if you made it through. By the time I got round to the chips, they were stone cold, that is how big the breakfast was. I had about 10 chips left and I just couldnt do it. Partly I was stupendously stuffed, partly cold chips makes me want to puke.
    What topped it off was there was ice-cream for dessert.
    OMG!
    Moral of the story is, I am still here and had a perfect medical recently.
  • Soundstorm 2012/02/18 07:47:21
    Soundstorm
    For some people living large is an endless feast.

Garganthua
  • merlin 2012/02/17 19:39:43
    merlin
    I have to agree with chef chef emerald
  • chaoskitty123 2012/02/17 19:28:15
    chaoskitty123
    First, you don't need to be fat to eat like this as most who have coronary problems are actually thin or even muscular. Fat people are a more obvious target because they are less active and eat more but as one fat guy to another... most of the fat people I know eat a huge amount of what's called "healthy" food because they think it won't hurt them as badly when the issue isn't what you eat... but how much of it you eat when you aren't living a healthy lifestyle to burn the fat off.

Second, what's the difference between eating a burger with three patties over eating three burgers? Answer... there's less to eat in a three patty burger vs three hamburgers meaning this is actually better for you if you want a big meal.

Third, I have known more people who have died before my age of 45 living what was considered a healthy lifestyle for one reason... stress! I have health issues brought on not by unhealthy living, but from a bee sting to the center of my back and a severe allergic reaction to it as I had not been allergic to bee stings until this point. My health was only slightly impacted by that but I became Type 2 diabetic as a result as i had just had a full physical two weeks before the job I had applied for turned in my favor... only I was too sick every day to do my job. But...

Third, I have known more people who have died before my age of 45 living what was considered a healthy lifestyle for one reason... stress! I have health issues brought on not by unhealthy living, but from a bee sting to the center of my back and a severe allergic reaction to it as I had not been allergic to bee stings until this point. My health was only slightly impacted by that but I became Type 2 diabetic as a result as i had just had a full physical two weeks before the job I had applied for turned in my favor... only I was too sick every day to do my job. But over the years, stress wore heavy on me and the only thing that saved my life was I had been controlling my emotions to manage diabetes. That changed because a doctor screwed up mixing drugs that shouldn't have been mixed and I became overwhelmed by stress.

Even now though, my heart is good, my arteries are clear and if you saw what I eat you'd say that's impossible considering I'm sorta fat (not huge but still) and what I eat. Several doctors, mri's, x rays and so forth have proven my cardio vascular system is in great shape... but my inability to handle stress has taken a huge toll and that has happened to millions of "healthy" Americans who are dropping like flies regardless of what they eat.

Remember, it's not what you eat in most cases... it's how much of it you eat and it's not always being fat that causes these kind of problems, it's stress and it's more likely that fat people just have more stress because of how people treat them because they are fat that matters.
  • LILY 2012/02/17 16:43:17
    LILY
    it needs some bacon yummmm gotta love them burgers
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/02/17 16:29:04
  • merlin I NEED ... 2012/02/17 19:37:38
  • Soundstorm I NEED ... 2012/02/18 07:39:19
    Soundstorm
    +1
    It's the corpse bride!
  • DizziNY 2012/02/17 16:23:08
    DizziNY
    Gross.
  • D S DizziNY 2012/02/17 16:34:12
    D S
    The Hair or the Purse?
  • M'lud 2012/02/17 16:12:00
    M'lud
    +2
    According to your data, smoking conservatives with love handles want to eat one.
    Did anyone else immediately think of Rush Limbaugh?
  • DizziNY M'lud 2012/02/17 16:23:47
    DizziNY
    No, but Barney Frank crossed my ind.
  • M'lud DizziNY 2012/02/17 16:27:01
    M'lud
    Why do you have a fat gay retiring congressman on your mind? Project much?
  • Thomas Rea: Gay Christian A... 2012/02/17 16:09:57
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    I might, but scare of what they put in it. What happen in Las Vegas did not change my mind.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/02/17 14:40:17
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    So fat people are more likely to want to eat at the Heart Attack Grill... darn, I was hoping for something less obvious.
    captain obvious
  • Pam 2012/02/17 13:27:50
    Pam
    That damn thing could feed my family and still leave leftovers. I may be fat but I sure as hell couldn't eat that on my own.
  • john doe 2012/02/17 13:21:48
    john doe
    I bet some options are still healthier than mcdonalds.
  • shadow76 2012/02/17 13:20:52
    shadow76
    +2
    I would try it. Nobody forces anyone to eat there. If someone with heart problems eats there then that is his stupid fault if he has a heart attack.
  • Whizzy 2012/02/17 13:13:42
    Whizzy
    pfff, kids stuff

one of their "smaller" ones
  • Steve King 2012/02/17 12:14:58
    Steve King
    Been to the one in Gilbert, AZ. Good food, not great, but it was my choice to try it, just as it is the right of anyone to try it. If they have their own health insurance, then I don't care what they do
    +2
    I'd try it in a "heart beat"!
  • shadow76 Andrew 2012/02/17 13:22:48
    shadow76
    +1
    uuuuhuh! hehe!
  • Barbie 2012/02/17 08:34:32
    Barbie
    Nope
  • Brad 2012/02/17 08:08:20
    Brad
    This is why it's nice to live in Phoenix, Arizona.
  • Resp 2012/02/17 07:05:06
    Resp
    No. I don't need a coronary bypass at this time.
  • Soundstorm 2012/02/17 07:02:12
    Soundstorm
    With my slow digestive system that mother will last me for three days at least.
  • Ian 2012/02/17 06:58:02
    Ian
    +1
    Yes i have to say that i would buy it to share it,
  • Trouble 2012/02/17 06:56:49
    Trouble
    Can I have one please!
  • LisaSmith 2012/02/17 06:19:32 (edited)
    LisaSmith
    Not at all interested. It looks disgusting.
  • Darth Jennocyde 2012/02/17 05:12:28
    Darth Jennocyde
    +2
    I'd go, but split the burger with friends! I would not even attempt to eat that thing! What next close all fast food places because the customers didnt know how to practice moderation? It's sad what happened to the man, but we all know the risks of certain eating habits...
  • Ian Darth J... 2012/02/17 07:00:17
    Ian
    Yes i know what you are saying,just because the trafic light is on green it does not mean you have to go.
  • afterburn610 2012/02/17 05:10:05
  • Curmudgeon 2012/02/17 04:55:20
    Curmudgeon
    I can find burgers like that without leaving the city I live in, and where health care I won't have to worry about going bankrupt from the related health costs if I do have a heart attack in the United States.

Besides, the place up here use 100% angus beef in all their horribly unhealthy meals.
  • MorbidCynic 2012/02/17 04:34:53 (edited)
    MorbidCynic
    Survival tip for dummies: If you don't have a high metabolism don't eat stuff like this, especially if you're lazy.
  • Anariashki 2012/02/17 04:23:43
    Anariashki
    Sometimes I indulge, but when how unhealthy a place is becomes the gimmick, I feel sad for you.

2014/10/23 17:53:57