PUBLIC OPINION > The Death Penalty Is Necessary

SodaHead Infographics 2012/04/30 16:00:00
California is getting ready to vote on whether or not to repeal capital punishment, so we took it to the broader public first, asking one basic question: Is the death penalty necessary? Though capital punishment is not practiced in most countries, it is practiced in the four most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia, and most of the U.S.), making it a complex and controversial topic. But don't worry, we broke it down for you by country, state -- and much more. Want to know how they feel about it in California? You might be surprised. Let's dive!

death penalty sodahead infographic

• Striker 2012/04/30 17:24:35
    Striker
    +14
    Tell ya what. That 35% who think horrid criminals should live and stay in prison can now pay the costs of storing them and providing their care and feeding.

The rest of us will pay for a bullet.

• intoler... DanC 2012/05/09 22:31:30
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ..... " savage, violent and stupid people " ....... surely you had the perpetrators in mind ? ? ?
  • Patric intoler... 2012/05/12 15:11:22
    Patric
    +1
    I think he may have been refer to you and I ...

may be we should bow to the perp's and say how sorry we are that their lives are inconienced by the police officer arresting them and let them go free ??

how violent and savage you and I are,,,
  • intoler... Patric 2012/05/21 13:04:50
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    .... ya' notice how that works Patrick < s >

This sort of stuff is why our world is in such a disarray ... good people are evil for addressing a problem ..... bad people are the way they are due to good people forcing their Laws + Ways on them .... sheesh .... double sheesh !
  • santa6642 2012/05/03 01:19:45
    santa6642
    +4
    yes and under used. We just have to stop coddling to criminals,., and execute them .
  • Gasbagmike santa6642 2012/05/03 21:51:17
    Gasbagmike
    +1
    True, we waist so much tax money on these people
  • Scott santa6642 2012/05/07 19:48:31
    Scott
    +1
    I agree - I've just invented the Electric Couch!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/05/02 19:59:23
    Lerro DeHazel
    The Death Penalty has been proven to be a deterrant. A Defense Attorney will always tell his client; "I might be able to get you off with Life." which means that the Death Penalty is a deterrant.
  • petean05 Lerro D... 2012/05/03 14:18:06
    petean05
    +1
    How good of a deterrent is the death penalty if the attorney's client already committed the crime? It certainly is not a deterrent for that criminal because it did not deter him or her from committing the crime in the first place.
  • Lerro D... petean05 2012/05/03 15:01:22
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    BECAUSE MOST CRIMES (CAPITAL CRIMES) ARE SOLVED THRU PLEA-BARGONING OUTSIDE OF THE COURT OF LAW.
  • Gwen Lerro D... 2012/05/08 15:11:39
    Gwen
    +1
    well stated...when there is no more bargaining chip....an offender may very well take information that would lead to a loved one's remains, other crimes committed, info in solving other cases.
  • JJ 2012/05/02 19:30:01
    JJ
    Yes, the death penalty is necessary. I have always been for it, but, I also feel that laywers need to make sure they have all the right evidence [ both sides ] before assuming one is guilty or not. I think some of our laywers slack off at times. I have always felt too, that the WHOLE truth is to be presented and not half truths. Like God said, the truth will set you free, and in some cases it may not...but at least it will be the WHOLE truth.
  • Tom Camfield 2012/05/02 18:43:19
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    I'm liberal, but I favor the death penalty. The biggest problem is that it takes up to 20 years to move some of the convicted killers off death row. In that way, the penalty becomes less of a deterrent in the first place. On the other hand, race still is a factor--and such states as Texas and Georgia are a bit to eager to shorten the time between gavel and gallows.
  • Scott Tom Cam... 2012/05/07 19:57:51
    Scott
    Tom - You can't have it both ways.
  • keliffa 2012/05/02 17:14:16
    keliffa
    +1
    FRY EM. Enough of this nice euthanasia.
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/05/02 17:04:06
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +1
    The criminals are in prison because of choices they made.An effort to rehabilitate is necessary, but so is the death penalty.
  • Calm down! 2012/05/02 16:46:48
    Calm down!
    +2
    We can't afford to keep these really evil hardcore criminals alive in prison for 50 years! It makes no sense at all. Most people want the death penalty for these monsters!
  • Huyền Yuu 2012/05/02 16:36:06
    Huyền Yuu
    +1
    But you are not the one who have to pay to kill them , seriously. Moreover, What do you think will cost more, kill them for once or keep them alive for a several years ?
  • stevegt... Huyền Yuu 2012/05/04 16:15:04
  • JOMO 2012/05/02 15:46:34
    JOMO
    I think that this poll that indicates most of America prefers the death penalty is no more than a false positive. It is a fact that the death penalty does not deter crime any more than drug addiction deter drug use. There are banks right next door to police stations and that does not deter bank robbers from robbing that bank.

So that indicate to me that the death penalty in America is not being used as a deterrence so much as it is being used as a means of revenge. American's are synonymous for seeking their pound of flesh when we feel that we have been wronged. It is my opinion that this is the case where the death penalty is concern.

We are a country that put people in prison for their thoughts, for what they say, for what we think they are intending to do, and even worst than that, for being wrongly accused. All in he name of so call justice, or better stated our pound of flesh, our revenge. We are a society that just is not happy unless we have someone to place the blame on.

So what we call legal murder here in America is nothing more that our legal system being able to say to those that are convicted we win the pissing contest..JOMO
  • ThinkAb... JOMO 2012/05/02 16:34:55
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +1
    Move to the middle east. See how fair things are there.
  • JOMO ThinkAb... 2012/05/02 17:52:31 (edited)
    JOMO
    Frankly ThinkAb comparing the behavior of current man to other people that are even more barbaric only proves one thing. And that is.., not only can man be barbaric.., but he can be even more barbaric.

Aside from that.., the death penalty still serves no productive purpose.., it is a vengeful act that in no way keeps crime from recurring. So no matter how much you or anyone else point out how people in other parts of the world is doing the same or worst, it still serves no productive purpose.

By the way.., the question was not about the fairness or unfairness of the death penalty.., it was and I quote "Is The Death Penalty Necessary". Your response has nothing to do with the original question. Your response has more to do with how much more messed up the middle east is where treachery is concern than America. That is a hold other topic and has nothing to do with whether the death penalty is necessary..., JOMO
  • Johnath... JOMO 2012/05/02 19:49:58
    Johnathan Cage
    +1
    The death penalty absolutely works and lowers murder crimes. There are no repeat offenders with the death penalty .. If it saves one.. just one familyor one community the heartache of a murder then its working .. You cant argue what its stopped you can only look at the numbers of prisoners that murdered that eventually are allowed to re enter society.. They do have repeat numbers there ...
  • Joanna ... Johnath... 2012/05/02 20:18:46
    Joanna the Great
    +1
    Murder rates are far higher in America, compared to places with no death penalty. So no, it does not absolutely work or lower murder crimes. It is true that that person will never murder again, but he wouldn't murder again if he were locked away for the rest of his life anyways.
  • Boomer Joanna ... 2012/05/09 13:41:21
    Boomer
    Latest stats from Geneva Declaration on Armed Violence and Development of murder rates per 100,000 people: Europe combined (none death penalty) 13.2 murders North America combined(death penalty) 4.7 so you see your stats are faulty according to the international records.
  • Joanna ... Boomer 2012/05/11 06:39:39 (edited)
    Joanna the Great
    uh, no they're not.

Intentional homicide rates per 100,000 population by region 2010[6]

Southern Africa 32
    Central America 25
    South America 21
    West and Central Africa 19
    East Africa 23
    Africa 17.4
    Caribbean 21
    Americas 15.5
    East Europe 7
    World 6.9
    North Africa 7.6 6
    Central Asia and Transcaucasian countries 6
    North America 4.7
    Europe 3.5
    Near and Middle East/Southwest Asia 3
    Oceania 3.5
    South Asia 4
    Asia 3.1
    Southeast Europe 3.2 1.5
    East and Southeast Asia 2.8 3
    West and Central Europe 1.5 1.2

international murder rates 2010

international murder rates 2010

fail
  • Boomer Joanna ... 2012/05/11 13:54:20
    Boomer
    What you are seening is that the numbers for North America is 4.7 which includes the US. You have choosen to let the European countries be broken down but if you add them together like they have North America they exceed our numbers of homocide.

you failed
  • Joanna ... Boomer 2012/05/13 03:47:56
    Joanna the Great
    Lol, did you just add all the numbers together in the chart that had "Europe" in the name?? They HAVE a rate for all of Europe, that's what is meant by the figure for "Europe". The rates for East Europe, Southeast Europe, West and Central, etc. are just showing the rates broken down in to regions. Didn't you notice that every possible portion of Europe is covered by those?

And even if they DIDN'T have that general rate there, you don't get an average stat by just adding up the rates for every region, you have to AVERAGE them. The rates for North America aren't the U.S. rate + Canada's rate + Mexico's rate, they are all figured together per 10,000 people.

So...

Duh
  • JOMO Johnath... 2012/05/02 23:06:38
    JOMO
    Johnath...you are absolutely correct that once you so call legally murder someone they cannot repeat offend, on that part I cannot argue. But as I have said before..., though your point is a very valid one.., the question was...., "Is the death penalty necessary..?"

Now.., if we were to examine just that part of the question.., I still say it is a very un - necessary evil. There are so many other ways to achieve the exact same results without murdering people. One of the ways that comes to mind is cut their hands off.., after all that is one part of their body they used to commit the crime.

The reason that out judicial system impose penalties on criminals in the first place is to punish them not get revenge. Now if the purpose in conducting what we call legal murder is to say to the criminal.., There take that...!, then I can see your point, but even still it does not deter crime or murder, it only deters that particular person.

So since the death penalty does not eliminate the crimes of which we are legally murdering people for..., I still say it is not necessary. Take body parts from the criminal there by eliminating their ability to commit a crime in the future. JOMO
  • Joanna ... JOMO 2012/05/02 20:15:39
    Joanna the Great
    Thank you, it is simply a vengeful, eye for an eye practice that solves nothing, it is simply yet another death.
  • JOMO Joanna ... 2012/05/02 23:20:37
    JOMO
    Joanna ... it is no secret that those that prefer the death penalty are people of a vengeful mind set. Their attitude has nothing to do with justice.., they just seek to be able to say you kill my dog I kill your cat. There is nothing about their mind set that is civilized..,

I am betting that if one of their family members was on death row and it wasn't for sure if they were guilty or not.., I am betting they would have a hold new perspective. I mean the death penalty goes against everything that makes sense.

On one hand we as a society say it is wrong to kill except when the judicial system says it's okay, and how many times have they been wrong..? And how many of the crimes they are legally killing people for eradicated that particular crime, not once, it only eradicated that particular person. And as we all know there is another person waiting in line to repeat the crime again...

Murder is murder.., legally or illegally it is all the same.., and that means it is flat out wrong...! JOMO
  • Joanna ... JOMO 2012/05/03 01:15:37
    Joanna the Great
    Thats what I think too, it seems so hypocritical and childish.

For example,like in a romantic relationship, if one of the partners cheats, is anything solved by the other partner going out and finding someone to sleep with to even the score? It just creates more negativity, more resentment, more anger.

it's just revenge, it's just "you hurt me so I hurt you", and it's silly that this sort of thinking is generally frowned upon BECAUSE it's so unproductive and pointless, except in this case. Like, if your child broke their sibling toy, would you tell the wronged kid to break the other kids toys? Or would you tell the first kid to apologize and make amends and learn not to do that again, and teach the kid with the broken toy to forgive and accept the apology?

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. This doesn't mean "get revenge on those who have hurt you by hurting them back", it means "treat everyone the way that you would want them to treat you". And I prefer to live as that.
  • Scott JOMO 2012/05/07 20:04:01
    Scott
    I disagree and I think your stroll down Logic Lane is flawed.

The death penalty is not an adequate deterrent because it is so rarely used and it takes upwards of 20 years before the bad guys ever have to think about making final arrangements.

Let's give 'em a trial. If he's guilty, take him out back and finish him off!

Next!
  • JOMO Scott 2012/05/07 23:15:24
    JOMO
    Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion Scott As am I..., But you should bare in mind the original question had nothing to do with my personal opinion. For your convenience Here was the original question, and I quote.., " PUBLIC OPINION > The Death Penalty Is Necessary" end quote...

But in respect to your response I would hate to think if you were one of the people that was triad and convicted and placed on death row before DNA technology was available, and you just happen to be innocent. I think those that were placed wrongfully on death row only to be exonerated after DNA technology came online some 20 years later are extremely glad that people that think the way you do are not in the decision making process... I'm just saying.....JOMO
  • Scott JOMO 2012/05/08 16:33:21
    Scott
    Thank you ever so much for entitling me to my opinion.

And, fortunately all our conversations here (whether adequately bound to your perception of the topic or not) are all taking place in the present time. So, we don't have to worry about me being falsely convicted in the past. (Whew!, dodged a bullet there!)
  • JOMO Scott 2012/05/08 18:02:29
    JOMO
    No I'm afraid that you actually didn't dodge that bullet.., here is my reason for saying that... What took place in the past is taking place as much today as it did in the past. Even with DNA testing being available to law enforcement there are still wrongly charged and convicted citizens here in America.

The death penalty is as permanent and irreversible as it gets, one person being put to death wrongfully is one person to many. And for those of you that feels a innocent person being put to death is just a hazard to the trade in order for the death penalty to work, well just pray that you or a member of your family do not end up being that innocent person.

Even if the system was perfect.., who are we humans that is as flawed as flawed can get to decide who live and who dies...? Humans are the meanness most cruel species on this planet. Yet we expect mercy both from those we offend and better yet from God. No man has the right to take what he can not give Especially LIfe, but as I said you are certainly entitled to your opinion, again as I am I...JOMO
  • Scott JOMO 2012/05/08 18:41:04
    Scott
    Lross - That's all very noble of you. Yes we are imperfect beings. Some are more imperfect than others I guess. Yet society has a right and obligation to rid itself of those that would harm other innocents within the society. To be bothered at all by those criminal misfits doesn't set well with me. So I say, turn them off.

Is it your opinion that humans are the meanest, most cruel species? Or, are you claiming that as fact. Because I can find an awful lot of information that would support the concept that humans are quite compassionate and gentle beings.

And finally, you REALLY don't have to remind me that I am entitled to my opinion. Trust me - I know.
  • JOMO Scott 2012/05/08 20:39:35
    JOMO
    My intent is not to remind you of anything Scott.., rather to point out to you repeatedly that this conversation between you and I can end at any time because this back an forth is no more than two people expressing the strong held opinion.

Aside from that where people being the meanest most cruel species on this planet is concern.., I most certainly do claim it as being a fact. Man is the only creature that kills just for the sake of killing..., Man is the only creature that will dislike another man just because of the color of their skin. and the list goes on and on. Now you can debate this matter until cows fly, but facts are facts.

I just pray as I have said earlier that you and or your family members do not find yourself at the wrong end of death row un justly. By the way, I do not now nor have ever sort to be noble, the fact of the matter is, right is right and wrong is wrong.. Now you ended your statement by saying "TRUST YOU"...! Based on the sentiment you have expressed so far,,,Respectfully Scott.., you and people that think the way you do are the very last people I would TRUST....! Sincerely...JOMO
  • Scott JOMO 2012/05/09 13:13:18
    Scott
    Allow me to quote someone whose words you might find familiar.

"THEY SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY....! Not the everyday citizen, every time we put someone in prison in America it cost the tax payer a minimum of $30,000.00 per year per inmate.

Not to mention that if we do what you suggest this will be repeated on a daily bases across the country. So in effect if we continue to use prison as our first option not only will the criminals be made to pay but all of America will have to pay as well with higher tax to build new prisons and to house the those that we put in prison.

I think, tie their ass to a tree or something similar and cane their ass until it is raw. And if they grow up and continue to commit crimes fix them so that they can't. It just does not make sense that the America tax payer has to be strapped with an open ended debt as a result of warehousing inmates except for murders, rapes and child abuser.

And even in some cases where child abuser and rapist are concern America can deal with them in a way that the part of their body used to commit their crime can be removed. Problem solved, cost to America, a one time surgical procedure, now this person may commit another crime but it wont be with that part of their body.

Now for those of you that think that to be barbaric, I su...

flying cow

Now for those of you that think that to be barbaric, I suggest you tell that to the victims of the crime, and the millions of the tax payers that has to choose between food and medicine as a result of higher taxation."

So, we tie them to a tree and cut off their weenies. I see where you get the idea that humans are mean spirited.

As for our difference in opinion on the death penalty, it looks to me like you just want to enjoy the suffering of the bad guy.Where I just want to dispose of the garbage and move on.

Thanks for the prayers; did you REALLY pray for me and my family? Or did you just say that would?

By the way, for those of you playing along at home, the quote was from Lross himself, in a previous post, on another topic.
  • JOMO Scott 2012/05/09 15:02:32
    JOMO
    First off,,. Scott..,let me thank you for pointing out that you are following my postings. And second.., for proving my point by posting verbatim exactly what I posted. So now let me attempt to do what I already know will fall far short of opening your eyes.

I think everyone short of you will see my suggestion falls way short of being vengeful or barbaric. What I posted was suggested as an alternative to killing someone for haven committed a crime.. And yes I will say it again,,. Dismemberment is far better than killing another human being.

Given that the federal, or state or local government is going to have to deal with a a convicted person by default..., looking at a way to minimize the cost is much better to eliminate the convict ability to repeat offend oppose to KILLING THEM....!

And for the record, rest assured in the eyes of the God I pray to..., YES I HAVE PRAYED FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY SEVERAL TIME SINCE I PROCLAIMED TO HAVE DONE SO...!

Do me a favor..., please continue to follow my posting maybe.., just maybe something I post just might wake up the humanity in you...JOMO
  • Scott JOMO 2012/05/09 15:24:04
    Scott
    If you write something worthy of reading, I'll read it.

Good luck getting that dismemberment bill passed.

2014/09/16 23:35:33