PUBLIC OPINION > The Death Penalty Is Necessary

SodaHead Infographics 2012/04/30 16:00:00
California is getting ready to vote on whether or not to repeal capital punishment, so we took it to the broader public first, asking one basic question: Is the death penalty necessary? Though capital punishment is not practiced in most countries, it is practiced in the four most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia, and most of the U.S.), making it a complex and controversial topic. But don't worry, we broke it down for you by country, state -- and much more. Want to know how they feel about it in California? You might be surprised. Let's dive!

death penalty sodahead infographic

• Striker 2012/04/30 17:24:35
    Striker
    +14
    Tell ya what. That 35% who think horrid criminals should live and stay in prison can now pay the costs of storing them and providing their care and feeding.

The rest of us will pay for a bullet.

• Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/04/30 16:47:22
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    The death penalty is completely unnecessary. It is more expensive than keeping them in prison, it offers them an easy way out, and it doesn't deter crimes - murder, especially mass murder, rape and terrorism are in no way deterred by the death penalty, rape and murder are rarely premeditated, and for those that are spending the rest of their life in a hellish cold cell with hard labour and no human contact is a much less enticing prospect than a quick death...
  • Herb Anonymo... 2012/04/30 19:15:33
    Herb
    what about serial killers or people like sadam that killed millons or kin jing ill etc. or the hitlers or stalins of the world.
  • Anonymo... Herb 2012/04/30 19:31:44
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    Do you really want them to end up as martyrs for fanatics, or get an easy way out of punishment? Lock them up in a cold cell with bread and water with hard labour to do and no human contact until they die. Make them regret ever doing such a thing, it's a much greater disincentive than a quick and painless death...
  • Herb Anonymo... 2012/04/30 19:47:37
    Herb
    you make them work tilll the death penalty that way they are huniliated till then lol then give them their do.
  • Anonymo... Herb 2012/04/30 19:56:04
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    I don't think it's right to ever kill a person, and especially not the government. And you can get a lot more out of them by making them do hard labour, and they'd probably kill themselves at some point anyway...
  • Barfly 2012/04/30 16:47:14 (edited)
    Barfly
    +5
    Off with their heads, liberals crack me up they will abort an unborn child because of their personal situation or crisis and the next day they will be at the nearest federal peneteniary crying about some nut job getting whacked. Reminds me of Dumb and Dumber!!
  • JAA Barfly 2012/04/30 19:06:12
    JAA
    +2
    I can understand their stance, even if I may not agree with it. An inmate has a soul; an unborn fetus does not.
  • Barfly JAA 2012/04/30 22:10:03
    Barfly
    Humm a convicted murderer has had a chance at life and being productive!!!! A fetus has not!!!
  • JAA Barfly 2012/04/30 22:27:52 (edited)
    JAA
    You seem to be getting over-heated on this (I mean, 7 exclamation marks is a bit much). You might want to step back from the screen for a few minutes.

A fetus is a potential human; a convicted murderer IS a human, although a sinful one. I still would prefer the former be born & breathed in a soul by God, & let the murderer fry in the electric chair. That's my personal opinion on the subject.
  • Red JAA 2012/05/01 06:01:10
  • JAA Red 2012/05/02 22:10:54 (edited)
    JAA
    It's not enough to just read your Bible, honey, but to UNDERSTAND it is paramount!!! Your Christian life DEPENDS on it!!

Please show me where in the Bible you see that God imputes the soul at conception. Show me all the verses about the horrors of abortion or miscarriage? I mean, God knew in eternity past that MILLIONS of fetuses would be aborted throughout history, & yet He only provided ONE verse on the subject, & then the man was to be given a "fine", not the death penalty, for causing the death to the fetus. You are MANDATING that other women follow YOUR views, when you have no biblical basis for that view. NONE!! God breathed in the soul to both Adam & Eve. Why do you think He does any differently with the remainder of humans?

Regarding Elizabeth's womb (please bear with me here, because this will seem a bit long . . .
    "For he [John the Baptist] will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled [empowered] with the Holy Spirit, while yet [in the future] in his mother's womb [ek koilias, 'separated from his mother's womb']" Luke 1:15

Luke, the human author, is continuing the connotation of separation found with the use of 'mibeten' in the Old Testament and 'ek koilias' in the LXX. In other words, the ablative of separation i...

&

Luke, the human author, is continuing the connotation of separation found with the use of 'mibeten' in the Old Testament and 'ek koilias' in the LXX. In other words, the ablative of separation indicates John must be born before he can be empowered or endued by the Spirit.

"And it came about that when Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby [fetus which will be John the Baptist] leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit." Luke 1:41

This verse touches a resounding cord of emotion with many women who remember the movement of the fetus in their own womb. Any woman who has been pregnant clearly recalls those times when the developing fetus kicks or moves. However, such poignant and emotional memories are not the foundation for understanding this passage.

In Luke 1:35-36, Mary has been informed by the angel Gabriel that while still a virgin she will conceive and her "offspring" will be the "Son of God." Mary is also told that her relative, Elizabeth, who although barren and past childbearing age, has miraculously conceived and is in her sixth month of pregnancy. Following the angelic announcement Mary goes to visit Elizabeth.

"For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby [brephos, 'fetus'] leaped [moved about] in my womb for [because of] joy [excitement that quickens the pulse]" Luke 1:44

When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting the 'brephos', "the unborn fetus," moved about "in her womb." The translation of this passage gives the impression that the fetus is responding "for joy." But if the emotion of joy were already present in the fetus, then the fetus would be ensouled, a possessor of human life. "Joy" actually refers to the emotional reaction of the mother which, combined with the external sound of Mary's voice, caused the subsequent reflexive movement of the 'brephos'.

An expectant mother may be aware that the fetus response to the voice of mother, father, music, or other sounds. Medical studies demonstrate that the fetus response to sounds with a startle reflex. The startle reflex is one example of reflexive movement or reflex motility.

When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, Elizabeth became excited by Mary's presence. This observation is confirmed by Elizabeth's reaction:
    "And she [Elizabeth] cried out with a loud voice [with great emotion], and said, "Blessed among women are you [Mary], and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And how has it (happened) to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" Luke 1:42-43

When anyone becomes excited, their pulse rate quickens as the body produces adrenalin and other chemicals which enter the bloodstream. As the pulse rate quickens in a pregnant woman, her blood passes more rapidly through the placenta. The adrenalin enters the blood stream of the fetus, producing movement. The fetus is biological life responding to biological stimuli. The sound of Mary's voice & the corresponding emotion in Elizabeth caused the fetal reflexive movement. Fetal movement and reflex motility are natural functions of biological life, never soul life.
    (less)
  • volley15 Barfly 2012/04/30 21:06:21
    volley15
    +1
    On the same breath though if conservatives feel that ALL (let me repeat the word ALL here) life is sacride then wouldn't supporting the death penalty be just as hypocritical? Against the death of one but not of another? BOTH sides are hypocritical when comparing these two issues. It makes absolutely no sense and stumps me too but what can one do? I'm pro-choice and pro-death penalty so understaning either sides' adversion to either abortion or the death penalty is over my head.
  • Red volley15 2012/05/01 05:43:53
  • Rachel volley15 2012/05/09 20:16:46
    Rachel
    I think that it depends on the conservative what sort of life they consider to be sacred. Most conservatives I know that are pro-life consider all "innocent" life to be sacred, yes, but not all life in general. Thus, a criminal's life, in this case, is not included because they are not innocent. I do agree though that it's hypocritical of those who claim that all human life is sacred, but are pro-capital punishment.

I'm pro-choice and pro-capital punishment too, but I admit to being able to understand how a pro-life person can still uphold the death penalty more than I understand how a pro-choice person can disagree with the death penalty (when it's used, at least, to put someone to death that is irrevocably guilty).
  • diane RN Barfly 2012/05/01 02:57:45
    diane RN
    Love your post!!
  • bozo 2012/04/30 16:47:03
    bozo
    +4
    yes we need and should apply the death sentence to repeat criminals quickly.
    appeals should not drag on for years, they should be awarded death within a year of the end of the trial. they are unwilling or unable to fit into and live the real world.

Certian % of people will solve world problems win awards and praise from fellow man , there are also an equal % of people just not able to adjust to real life and not fit to live among us.
    it's a sad fact but it is a fact there have always been people who don't belong here.
  • Judog10 2012/04/30 16:42:17
    Judog10
    End the death penalty.
  • Herb Judog10 2012/04/30 19:14:05
    Herb
  • Fef 2012/04/30 16:39:35
    Fef
    +6
    A usual, the Liberals don't represent the majority opinion. The Left represents the radical in modern society.
  • ««Ginge... Fef 2012/04/30 17:50:34
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    That is absolutely not true. The United States is the only developed country to not abolish the death penalty. It is barbaric, and even ISRAEL thinks so.
  • Herb ««Ginge... 2012/04/30 19:14:54
    Herb
    +1
  • ««Ginge... Herb 2012/04/30 20:20:03
    Solitary confinement.
  • JAA ««Ginge... 2012/04/30 19:15:53
    JAA
    Israel tries to take care of it at the borders & in their airports by profiling, & they are very good at not giving criminals second chances; the United States lets any & all across its borders & because of an over-crowded court system & prisons, let criminals back into the streets to repeat their crimes. Perhaps if we started profiling & taking care of criminals up front, we wouldn't need the death penalty. You're comparing apples to oranges when you compare Israel & the USA in regard to criminality.
  • ««Ginge... JAA 2012/04/30 20:21:13
    How about every country in the EU except Belarus? Canada? Most of Latin American?
  • JAA ««Ginge... 2012/04/30 21:53:05 (edited)
    JAA
    Are you saying that the USA is just like all other countries with the exception that we have the death penalty & they don't? I guess you're gonna have to explain to me why immigrants are still flocking to cross our borders in order to find a better life & to get away from their evil dictators, wars, high-taxation, or communist/socialist-run countries because we're so soft on crime.
  • ««Ginge... JAA 2012/04/30 21:55:14
    No. That is neither here nor there. The point is, the death penalty is outdated and barbaric.

Also, your statement on immigrants is a red herring. Immigrants go to many other countries besides the US.
  • JAA ««Ginge... 2012/04/30 22:23:30
    JAA
    That's your opinion, & I respect that. Murder is also "outdated and barbaric", but for some reason, the bad guys still continue murdering.

Your second sentence is a non sequitur. Yes, they may make a stop off at other countries, but most of them have as their goal, still, to "go to America". They are still being told it is the land of opportunity, even though Obama [no PBUH] et al, are narrowing that opportunity more and more each day.
  • ««Ginge... JAA 2012/05/01 04:33:58
    "most of them have as their goal, still, to "go to America"."
    Can you back this statement up? It seems extremely broad and sweeping.
  • JAA ««Ginge... 2012/05/02 22:14:31
    JAA
    No, & I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to find something you can Google yourself. It is "common knowledge" that people are still streaming into our country by the millions. If this were not so, Obama [no PBUH] & his minions would not be trying to give "illegal" immigrants blanket citizenship prior to election day. If their goal was not America, then why are they here? I would love to be wrong on this, because we are so very in debt & don't really need them at this point in time, but sorry, the stats are out there for even a village idiot to find . . .
  • Blueskies JAA 2012/05/13 05:58:23
    Blueskies
    It sucks here in the USA. Man, wake up.
    When I grew up we Had No Homeless.
    It was a cliche, that Americans were too proud to beg. The only beggars I ever saw were in movies about the times before the New Deal.
    There was a pop song, called "King of the Road". Even hobo's found work instantly and 'rooms to let 50 cents". No Homeless.

Its been worse every single year since 1975. Crime is worse all the time, as ever more people join the ranks of homeless and impoverished people.

Where the heck do you live, and not see growing poverty,. year after year, everywhere among the general population?

Real wages have declined constantly for 37 years, and the unemployment rate went from 1%-3% from 1940 to 1975, then after 1975 it was adjusted by central bank policy to 6%, sometime 15% or 20%, by Central Bank Policy ever since 1975.

That was when the New Homeless appeared, from about 1980 on- something pretty much gone since the end of the Depression- but today a ever growing staple of life, taken for granted..

Poverty and Homelessness is built into, a necessary part, of our Modern Free Trade system. Our HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT since 1975 is required, and regulated, following a policy called NAIRU.

The guy below has shots of the ever growing homeless camps in Sacremento, he talks about seeing the b...

It sucks here in the USA. Man, wake up.
    When I grew up we Had No Homeless.

The guy below has shots of the ever growing homeless camps in Sacremento, he talks about seeing the big one there since 2005, and evidence of many smaller camops going back for years before that.
    http://voices.yahoo.com/not-g...

http://nationdiscussion.ning....

I have no use any more for our ruling class, they have no use for us either.
  • JAA Blueskies 2012/05/13 23:19:14 (edited)
    JAA
    I live in Texas, you know, the state that Obama hates with a purple passion, because guess what? We're growing, & there are more job opportunities here than in most other states. California is a cesspool; everyone knows that. You're free to move if you don't like it.

I think, for the most part, Americans are reaping what they've been sowing. Look who we voted in as POTUS? We've all but rejected Jesus Christ, including Christians, and we are sinking deeper & deeper into both moral & immoral degeneracy. Most (not all) pain & suffering is self-induced misery. People will never turn back to Jesus Christ as long as their life is comfy cozy, so having us hit rock bottom, as a country, may just wake up enough people to get out of their self-righteous, arrogant, self-absorbed little worlds.

You're blaming the wrong people. Look in the mirror, & look at the people that surround you in your everyday life.
  • JAA Fef 2012/04/30 19:10:21
    JAA
    It depends on the subject. Radical is also self-righteous Christian trying to tell women what to do with their bodies & insisting that prayer should be a part of our school agenda. Radical is the morally debased liberal pushing for teaching sex being great outside of marriage & homosexuality is "normal". See, it just depends on the subject.
  • Red JAA 2012/05/01 06:07:10
  • JAA Red 2012/05/02 22:18:59 (edited)
    JAA
    You obviously are having comprehension problems. First, sex comes naturally to all God's creatures, so they don't need to be taught how to do it. Secondly, my comment was that kids don't need to be taught that sex outside of a man-woman marriage is a "good thing". Or maybe, as a "good Christian woman", you think teaching extramarital affairs & homosexuality as "normal" is a good thing. THINK!!

I'm assuming from your avatar that you are Black, right? Did you know that over 70-80% of all Black children come from single parent families, & that more Blacks fetuses are being aborted than in any other group? Rather than schools having to take valuable time out of an already full schedule to teach life skills, including sex education & handing out condoms, they should be teaching reading, writing & arithmetic. Most children are terribly undereducated when they graduate from high school, assuming they even graduate.

Maybe responsible parents, especially those wonderfully loving & caring Christians in our churches, should take on the responsibility of teaching sex education & parenting skills, because it is the PARENTS' responsibility to teach their children about morals, about respect for themselves & others, & about respect for God's divine institutions (volition, nationalism, marriage &...&&&

&&&&

Maybe responsible parents, especially those wonderfully loving & caring Christians in our churches, should take on the responsibility of teaching sex education & parenting skills, because it is the PARENTS' responsibility to teach their children about morals, about respect for themselves & others, & about respect for God's divine institutions (volition, nationalism, marriage & family). Kids KNOW how to have sex, & any of them with a TV or computer know about condoms, the BCP, & abortions. It is RESPONSIBILITY that is lacking, NOT education. Most women I've seen coming through the county hospitals in the DFW area here in Texas KNOW how to use a condom, but they CHOOSE not to, because it messes up spontaneity, & the boys can't have as much "pleasure" when they are clothed in a condom!!

Maybe there is NOTHING wrong with the school system, but EVERYTHING wrong with rejection of Jesus Christ from ALL citizens of this country & this world!! But no, you believe the government is your god, the one to provide your thinking, your morals, & your education. Don't tell me that's not true, because you want the government to MAKE women have abortions in dirty back rooms with coat hangers, because YOUR morality is more important than their lives. You believe that the government, not parents, not Christians, not Churches, should be teaching morality & sexual performance, & I bet you don't believe in separation of church and state and a host of other stuff, too, because the government is your god.
  • JAA Fef 2012/04/30 19:12:25
    JAA
    We use to be a Republic, but we are now a social democratic nation where the majority may rule, even if they are wrong. There are just as many "radicals" on the right as there are on the left. Fruits & nuts are just a part of the mix we call "life".
  • Blueskies Fef 2012/05/13 03:57:12
    Blueskies
    Harsh hard attitudes towards each other has become the norm since the conservative takeover of the USA in 1975.
    Your full of hate. You promote harshness and hate. Your anti love.
    And I don't want to hear crap about how YOU think the country has been ruined by liberals.
    There is NOTHING DECENT IN THIS COUNTRY ever done by Conservatives. NOTHING.

The upper class is another name for the Mafia. America is one giant organised crime against the working people.
  • JAA Blueskies 2012/05/13 23:28:30
    JAA
    Humans are no good, liberal or conservative. Once both sides take responsibility for their own actions, perhaps it will sink in that we're all sitting in a cesspool of our own making. There is NOTHING DECENT IN THIS COUNTRY ever done by a human being. NOTHING.

This current "regime" who ARE the "upper class" (aka "Mafia", lol) is who you voted into office. Blame yourself. He & his minions, & the same for Boehner, et al, were reared in this country by us. WE created this mess, ignored God, and then we try to blame everyone BUT ourselves. Look in the mirror, then look at everyone who surrounds you. Now, if you can't say "we have a problem, & they be us", then your arrogance knows no bounds & may God have mercy on us all.
  • taitaFalcon23 2012/04/30 16:37:41
    taitaFalcon23
    the deathpenalty population does not have to be that high...
  • exhon2009 taitaFa... 2012/04/30 17:21:54
    exhon2009
    +2
    It wouldn't be if the states would follow through and carry out the sentence in less than 30 years.
  • taitaFa... exhon2009 2012/04/30 20:18:35
    taitaFalcon23
    my point exacly - some people have forfeit their right to live.. even when removed from the general population

2014/10/26 00:35:45