PUBLIC OPINION > The Death Penalty Is Necessary

SodaHead Infographics 2012/04/30 16:00:00
California is getting ready to vote on whether or not to repeal capital punishment, so we took it to the broader public first, asking one basic question: Is the death penalty necessary? Though capital punishment is not practiced in most countries, it is practiced in the four most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia, and most of the U.S.), making it a complex and controversial topic. But don't worry, we broke it down for you by country, state -- and much more. Want to know how they feel about it in California? You might be surprised. Let's dive!

death penalty sodahead infographic

• Striker 2012/04/30 17:24:35
    Striker
    +14
    Tell ya what. That 35% who think horrid criminals should live and stay in prison can now pay the costs of storing them and providing their care and feeding.

The rest of us will pay for a bullet.

• shiroid... John James 2012/05/01 08:49:43
    shiroidenkou1994
    +1
    It's not murder to refuse to let another organism live and grow inside my body.

Not all pregnancies are intentional, and birth control can fail.
  • ☆The Ro... shiroid... 2012/05/02 05:11:22
  • shiroid... ☆The Ro... 2012/05/02 13:51:48
    shiroidenkou1994
    +1
    Did you read what I said? I made my position on this very clear when I said '(late-term abortion is different, obviously. At a late stage, when the fetus has developed fully or almost fully, it is possible to remove it from the uterus without causing death. This, I think, is much more ethical than the [illegal in most places anyway] process of late-term abortion.)'

Read before you respond.
  • ☆The Ro... shiroid... 2012/05/02 14:05:25
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    Oh please the heartbeat of a baby starts at 21 days of conception! We are responsible for the baby's life! The baby is not a parisite or a growth!! Your ignorance is amazing!!
  • Joanna ... shiroid... 2012/05/02 20:45:25
    Joanna the Great
    +1
    I think its funny how they so obviously only take the time to see that you are pro-choice and start throwing a fit about late-term abortions, when you not only never said you agreed with late-term abortions, you made it a point to clearly state that you are AGAINST them.
  • shiroid... John James 2012/05/01 07:40:45
    shiroidenkou1994
    +1
    Did you even read what I said? Or are you just blindly responding without comprehending? The latter seems much more likely to me.
  • John James shiroid... 2012/05/01 07:58:37
    John James
    +1
    But it is a human life
  • shiroid... John James 2012/05/01 08:08:16
    shiroidenkou1994
    +2
    I'll take that as an admission that you're just blindly responding without comprehending.
  • John James shiroid... 2012/05/01 08:10:24
    John James
    +2
    I am comprehending, maybe you need to stop projecting
  • shiroid... John James 2012/05/01 08:12:36
    shiroidenkou1994
    +1
    I'm not projecting. You gave a response that had nothing at all to do with what I said.
  • John James shiroid... 2012/05/01 08:28:59
    John James
    +1
    Yes you are
  • Joanna ... shiroid... 2012/05/02 00:53:43
    Joanna the Great
    +1
    this conversation made me lol
  • diane RN Caitlin 2012/05/01 04:19:39
    diane RN
    +6
    An innocent baby vs a convicted killer? I dont get the analogy
  • diane RN Caitlin 2012/05/01 05:35:54
    diane RN
    +4
    Read my post above, there is no woman alive who has a mothering instinct that could think that is ok
  • diane RN John James 2012/05/01 04:19:01 (edited)
    diane RN
    +4
    Our current president when he was senator actually voted for something...late term abortion...the baby is born alive, it is so disgusting.
  • John James diane RN 2012/05/01 05:06:41
    John James
    +4
    True, those on the left are just pure evil
  • diane RN John James 2012/05/01 05:13:21
    diane RN
    +3
    Not necessarily evil just uninformed.
  • John James diane RN 2012/05/01 05:18:07
    John James
    +2
    I can agree with that, but some have gone over to the dark side, and they are following in the steps of the pro eugenics crowd.
  • MegaFor... John James 2012/05/02 02:30:56
    MegaFortunateSon
    +1
    They have a sick self serving point of view.
  • diane RN Caitlin 2012/05/01 04:17:55
    diane RN
    +5
    Pro choice is deciding to end a pregnancy EARLY on and ending an innocent life. Death penalty is putting to death someone who is inherently evil. An eye for an eye..
  • Kyra diane RN 2012/05/02 01:22:43 (edited)
    Kyra
    +1
    DO you have faith in Jesus? He did put an end o eye for an eye....

Matt5:38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
    43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
  • diane RN Kyra 2012/05/02 01:24:39
    diane RN
    +3
    I am not religious so that scripture doesnt work for me:)
  • Oaces_b... diane RN 2012/05/02 05:18:17
  • diane RN Caitlin 2012/05/01 05:34:55
    diane RN
    +3
    Then you obviously have never seen a late term abortion baby lie on the table dying...I am pro choice but only in the very early stages, These "fetuses" are born alive and with medical technology could be saved but are left to die. THAT is what YOU call having "control" of your body. That baby has a death penalty imposed before it has even lived.
  • Joanna ... diane RN 2012/05/02 20:48:07
    Joanna the Great
    late-term abortions are completely illegal in the vast majority of the country, and almost nobody thinks that they are ok.
  • diane RN Joanna ... 2012/05/02 23:26:15 (edited)
    diane RN
    Obama not only voted YES to late term abortions but to let the fetus die if it was alive...you can google it too, theres lots of info on it. Although when he was a presidential campaign he changes his tune, Also, its not as illegal as you might think.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/0...
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did...
  • Joanna ... diane RN 2012/05/03 01:53:43 (edited)
    Joanna the Great
    I didn't say anything about Obama, that's not part of this discussion.

your link of the NY times article is specifically about banning late-term abortions, so I don't really grasp what you're trying to prove with that.

Here are the facts..

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/...
    http://www.guttmacher.org/pub...
    http://www.nirhealth.org/sect...

Here's a run-down..

"Most states restrict late-term abortions.

The Guttmacher brief notes that:
    37 states prohibit some abortions after a certain point in pregnancy.
    24 states initiate prohibitions at fetal viability.
    5 states initiate prohibitions in the third trimester.
    8 states initiate prohibitions after a certain number of weeks, generally 24.

The circumstances under which procedures are permitted after that point vary from state to state. For example:

29 states permit abortions to preserve the life or health of the woman;
    4 states permit abortions to save the life or health of the woman, but use a narrow definition of health;
    4 states permit abortions only to save the life of the woman.

Some states require the involvement of a second physician when a later-term abortion is performed. Nine states require that a second physician attend in order to treat a fetus if it is born alive. Ten states require that a second physician certify that the abortio...

Here are the facts..

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/...
    http://www.guttmacher.org/pub...
    http://www.nirhealth.org/sect...

Here's a run-down..

The Guttmacher brief notes that:

Some states require the involvement of a second physician when a later-term abortion is performed. Nine states require that a second physician attend in order to treat a fetus if it is born alive. Ten states require that a second physician certify that the abortion is medically necessary.

Kansas law is strict on the issue of late-term abortions.
    Kansas law requires that such procedures can only be performed after viability if two independent doctors agree that not to do so would put the mother at risk of irreparable harm by giving birth."
    http://www.rhrealitycheck.org...

Just so you know, I am generally against abortions beyond 20 wks or so, but every case is different. But I also think that all of this hype and hysteria surrounding late-term abortions is nonsense. They are performed very rarely, and every state in the U.S. has laws restricting them in one way or another.And, despite what you seem to think, the doctors do NOT let perfectly healthy newborns die on the table, if they CAN save the baby they do.
  • diane RN Joanna ... 2012/05/03 02:00:46
    diane RN
    Thanks for all your research but the point of all my posts was that, while senator, one of the only things that obama ever voted on, other than present, was for late term abortion. Also, if the fetus was born alive it was to be let to die as he states what the mother does with her own body is her choice. You take it from there. We all have our own opinions on what we think of this. I find it disgusting and I am a pro choice conservative.
  • Joanna ... diane RN 2012/05/03 02:54:39
    Joanna the Great
    The post I replied to of yours said nothing of Obama. I don't care what he's voted for or what he said or anything.

I was responding to your argument about late-term abortion babies being left on the table to die. I'm not disagreeing that that would be wrong, I'm trying to inform you that it rarely, if ever happens, and if it does, it's completely illegal.
  • diane RN Joanna ... 2012/05/03 03:09:31
    diane RN
    Please, listen to me...it happens more often than you think. I understand your wanting to think it doesnt happen too often but believe it or not, it does. I dont care about which side of the fence you are on...it DOES happen and it is COMPLETELY legal. I posted a link for you....
  • Joanna ... diane RN 2012/05/08 07:43:29
    Joanna the Great
    No, it's not. I posted a link for YOU, from credible sources, not a magazine and an online wiki site.
  • diane RN Joanna ... 2012/05/08 11:36:19
    diane RN
    How bout the source that I work at a major medical center, and you can stick your head in the sand but YES, it DOES happen.
  • Joanna ... diane RN 2012/05/09 01:00:13
    Joanna the Great
    The links you provided were NOT credible sources, and those are what I was referring to. Your claim that you work in a "major medical center", so I should accept what you say as fact, but how am I to know that you are telling the truth? If you post some actual proof, I'll listen to it, but you've just gone on about something the president voted for a few years back and some links to internet articles.

So I'll leave it alone, have a nice day.
  • diane RN Joanna ... 2012/05/09 02:49:45
    diane RN
    Okaaay, so you want me to tell you my name and the hospital where I work or will you need my social security number also, lol. Done with you, you dont debate issues you just challenge everything I say. Do your own homework and believe whatever you want. I dont care, being from Il where your pres is from I think I have a little better idea about whats going on. JMO. Have a great night, back to my patients now:)
  • Joanna ... diane RN 2012/05/09 05:30:24
    Joanna the Great
    Lol, I never asked you for your personal info, I asked for credible sources, you're just side-stepping the question. I did do my homework, that why I know what I know.
  • diane RN Joanna ... 2012/05/09 05:42:55
    diane RN
    Have a great night "know it all" :)
  • VERYwis... John James 2012/05/01 03:06:08
    VERYwiseguy
    +1
    If a woman has an abortion she is a murderer? OK then should she be put to death for murder?
  • John James VERYwis... 2012/05/01 05:07:10
    John James
    +4
    The person performing the procedure is murdering the baby
  • diane RN John James 2012/05/01 05:41:31
    diane RN
    +4
    Disgusting, on ultrasound the baby actually tries to avoid the probe, it is fighting for its life.
  • Oaces_b... diane RN 2012/05/02 05:20:07

2014/11/24 01:13:03