PUBLIC OPINION > The Death Penalty Is Necessary

SodaHead Infographics 2012/04/30 16:00:00
California is getting ready to vote on whether or not to repeal capital punishment, so we took it to the broader public first, asking one basic question: Is the death penalty necessary? Though capital punishment is not practiced in most countries, it is practiced in the four most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia, and most of the U.S.), making it a complex and controversial topic. But don't worry, we broke it down for you by country, state -- and much more. Want to know how they feel about it in California? You might be surprised. Let's dive!

death penalty sodahead infographic

• Striker 2012/04/30 17:24:35
    Striker
    +14
    Tell ya what. That 35% who think horrid criminals should live and stay in prison can now pay the costs of storing them and providing their care and feeding.

The rest of us will pay for a bullet.

• Nucky 2012/11/04 07:36:12
    Nucky
    +1
    I have mixed feelings about this. I do think that the world can do without some people, people who do nothing but hurt others and destroy lives without the slightest bit of remorse. Some people are completely beyond any kind of help or hope. The problem is that there's often a grey area in determining whether or not a person falls into this category.
  • Kurt 2012/09/21 17:52:07
    Kurt
    +1
    As long as the lawyers get the right person I have no issue in putting the person down immediately just like in the movie Starship Troopers.
  • Sydney.nightshade 2012/07/09 20:20:04
    Sydney.nightshade
    +1
    I would prefer a death penalty for proven convicts only. Although I personally believe in an eye for an eye. Therefore a rape for a rape, a murder for a murder, theft for a theft and so an and so forth. Pretty soon most of this stuff would stop because who would ever want this stuff happening to them?
  • Lauren.livelovelaugh. 2012/07/03 14:35:54
    Lauren.livelovelaugh.
    +3
    It is wrong because some of the things people do they are under the influence of someone else, have medical problems, or are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, also because it is not necessary to kill a person for some of the things they have done but I can also see the other side to it because, they are a threat to other people and if for example someone got murdered then their family would want to know they suffered the same thing and that they are dead and can't do it to anyone else, they also see it as unfair that the killer gets to keep living while their family member had to die due to someone elses unforgivable act.
  • burningsnowman 2012/06/22 06:49:58 (edited)
    burningsnowman
    Is it necessary? Probably not for the larger society. It might be dangerous to the guards or prisons to keep some of these people in but prison escapes are rare. I do think there's a deterrent effect though based on what I've read. And I don't exactly shed any tears when violent repeat offenders are killed.
  • Chris Bernstien 2012/05/30 03:54:24
    Chris Bernstien
    +3
    The very acronym for the “SAFE” Act is bogus. The costs claimed by SAFE are exaggerated and the costs of the “SAFE” Act’s life imprisonment would be much more expensive due to life-time medical costs, the increased security required to coerce former death-row inmates to work, etc. The amount “saved” in order to help fund law enforcement is negligible and only for a short period of time. (It is nothing more than a bribe in a vain effort to obtain conservative votes.) Bottom line, the “SAFE” Act is another attempt by those who are responsible for the high costs and lack of executions to now persuade voters to abandon it. Obviously, the arguments of the proponents of the SAFE Act would disappear if the death penalty was carried forth in accordance with the law. Get the facts at http://cadeathpenalty.webs.com.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/05/26 07:05:12
    JCD aka "biz"
    The "most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia...) have the death penalty. So do North Korea, Iran, Pakistan. Yes, and almost all Western developed countries have abolished it.
  • kobidobidog 2012/05/25 04:33:27 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    No,no,no,no,infinity no. To kill kills the soul of the killer. Don't humans know what Jesus said? Forgive them for they know not what they do. Jesus was being killed folks, and Jesus forgave them. I thought Jesus was our example. How could have humans missed this for so many years? because of the death penalty we have human sacrafic in war way worse than one of the sins of Sodom, and Gamorah sacrafising non human animals thinking God liked it. Isaiah 1 >>King James Version
    10Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
    11To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
    12When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
    13Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
    14Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
    15And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will...

15And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
    16Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
    17Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
    18Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
    The sin of war is way worse than the killing of non human animals in ritual sacrifices.
    Death penalty therefore is on par with war being worse than Sodom, and Gomorrah. The religions have given devious, perverted, abominable lies from a defiled soul blaspheming Gods word. Have them know it, and maybe just maybe the religions will repent. Than the death penalty will be rescinded. Jailing is ungodly too.
  • Kurt kobidob... 2012/09/21 17:56:19
    Kurt
    +1
    Sorry but I'm not a bible thumper like yourself. And I really doubt if someone raped, tortured and killed a loved one you would be saying all this.
  • kobidob... Kurt 2012/09/21 19:26:11 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    My response will be the same. To die to keep another from being killed is what Jesus would do. Have people willing to lay down their life for another no one would want to harm another. The end of those that do bad will be way worse than they can imagine, A part of their agony will be seeing what they tossed away for monetary glory thinking mistakenly that they gained something doing bad to another person.
    All things are equal even as a hug is equal. The body kills life to live. Have a person kill life will kill the soul. We are a vessel that will have good in it or will not have good in it. Good in it gives good. Good is not a bullet that police give. Have a policeman die not wanting to kill will save his soul. The killer is the loser in Gods eyes. Why? The killer is not like Jesus that's why. Giving death or jailing can in no way be called good. It has to be clear that Jesus did not give death or jailing. This is the beginning of eternity. Being retaliatory against people now can't be a good foundation for eternity. I see way beyond what you see. I see the results of what whoever does. The bad end is not what religions say. When whoever knows the KJV intimately will know that the glorified face of God is what is hell to the wicked.
  • Maddog 2012/05/18 18:08:29
    Maddog
    +1
    I favor the death penalty, but only in cases where there is not a shred of doubt about a person's guilt. In fact, for certain crimes, such as those involving the murder of children, people who torture their victims, and serial killers, I would gladly see medieval forms of punishment applied to such perpetrators!

I think trend towards lethal injection is a ridiculous waste of time and money. What's wrong with the gallows? Even environmentalists should embrace this "green" form of punishment. A hemp rope is biodegradable, and a wooded gallows is constructed of all "natural" materials. The beauty of this is that it always works: trapdoor opens, dirtbag falls through, neck snaps, and it's "lights out"...the world is now a better place.
  • kobidob... Maddog 2012/09/21 19:44:17 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Satan is the one with lights out on his mind for Jesus. Think about that. People that said give us Barabbas, and crucify him favor the death penalty. The people outside Lots house wanted worse to happen to lot than the two visitors favor the deatrh penalty too. That makes people that favor the death penalty as bad as Sodomites, and the conniving, scheming, thinking they were crafty scribes,and High priests wanting Jesus, and even Lazarus dead. Not good company to be with. The anointed of the Lord show mercy forgiveness compassion. Not what has been done. The way things are done has people put a name like a tag of guilt just because they have photos of young nude people on their computer like they are doing to Larry Brinkin right now. What people do in the legal system condemning is evil as evil can be.
  • Jimmie Smith 2012/05/16 00:30:51
    Jimmie Smith
    no...I don't think we as a society... supposedly, "civilized" have the right to take a life , just for an eye for an eye"?.... besides it"s cheaper to keep-em locked up!
  • WilliamS 2012/05/15 22:13:11
    WilliamS
    +5
    Capital punishment is necessary to have justice. Murder rates are higher in states without the death penalty. Guess what? Murder rates are lower in Texas where they execute a lot of criminals.
  • kobidob... WilliamS 2012/05/25 05:03:49 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    KJV, Galatians 6:7;Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. This means give death get death of the soul.

King James Bible - Matthew 7:2
    For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    This means God is equal. He will give to a human whatever a human dished out to a human.

Romans 14:10;10But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Matthew 7:12;12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
    This means give death to a human, and you want God to give death to your body, and soul in his light.That is hell.
    Hell is Gods light seen to the human that kills or hates not being like Jesus is like it was fire. KJV, 1 John 1;5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light. Heb; 12:29;For our God is a consuming fire. James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, Hell is the face of God Moses could not look into or become ashes.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/05/15 19:00:19
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    It is barbaric and not needed whatsoever.
  • Whyputaname 2012/05/15 17:35:56
    Whyputaname
    +2
    Wrong man was executed in Texas, probe says
    http://news.yahoo.com/wrong-m...

This is why I don't believe in the Death Penalty.......What do you say to the family of the innocent person that was put to death......Ooops sorry!!...
  • kobidob... Whyputa... 2012/05/25 05:06:11
    kobidobidog
    No one should be executed. Read my post.
  • Kurt Whyputa... 2012/09/21 17:57:52
    Kurt
    Innocent people die everyday, get over it
  • Prophet 2012/05/15 14:56:16
    Prophet
    +1
    Some say the death penalty isn't a deterent and they may be right. But only because it's carried out in a humane way with only a handful of witnesses. If executions were public (like they used to be; hanging in the courthouse square), then it be more of a deterent. Perhaps something better. I'll come out against the death penalty when, as a juror, I can sentence someone to life in solitary confinement without parole.
  • kobidob... Prophet 2012/05/25 05:07:08
    kobidobidog
    Fear is Satan's way not Gods way.
  • BB 2012/05/13 14:54:08
    BB
    +1
    No, it is not necessary. Time and time again studies have shown that harsher punishments are not a deterrent to crime. I also think that we should reform our prisons to rehabilitate convicts rather then punish them.
  • THAT WA... BB 2012/05/14 20:39:21
  • BB THAT WA... 2012/05/15 03:43:11
    BB
    +1
    Capital punishment does not work. There is a wealth of mounting evidence that proves this fact. Studies show that it is a racially motivated punishment blacks are over 10 times more likely to get the death penalty then whites. Since humans are fallible, the risk of executing the innocent can never be eliminated. I also costs more to execute a prisoner then to keep then incarcerated for life.

The reason why the Supreme Court ordered the California Government to release tens of thousands of Prison Inmates. Is because we arrest too many people and put them in prison who don’t represent a threat to society.

Prison Reform is not about being “Soft on Crime”, but making prisons work better for society including the inmates. And bringing our Prison Population down to a more manageable level. So they work for everyone involved.
  • kobidob... BB 2012/05/25 05:16:11 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Prisons exist because humans do not have perfect love protecting their soul. Prisons are directly connected to the mind of Satan. Satan has his own unseen prison that the living human eye does not see. When a human has a near death experiences thinking they sees hell I know exactly what the video will show even before I see the video. It will show Satan's prison. That prison has humans in it awaiting final Judgment. Jails are evil. War is evil. Killing in whatever way it is done is evil being an anti Christ thing to do.
  • kobidob... BB 2012/05/25 05:08:32
    kobidobidog
    You have the merciful God in you.
  • Prophet BB 2012/05/29 19:48:42
    Prophet
    It has been proven that some people can't be rehabilitated. Any cop and most psychiatrists will tell you......once a pedophile, always a pedophile. And some people are just sociopaths who need to be removed from society.
  • BB Prophet 2012/05/30 04:17:43
    BB
    So lock them in jail. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
  • Kurt BB 2012/09/21 18:02:57
    Kurt
    Leaving them in jail costs tax payers money they shouldn't have to pay.
  • Kurt BB 2012/09/21 18:00:54
    Kurt
    Only thing prison does these days are make simple criminals into smarter criminals.
  • Brynn 2012/05/13 13:22:15
    Brynn
    If you kill someone in self defense then it is just. Why is it any different if the murderer dies after the crime against humanity?
  • kobidob... Brynn 2012/05/25 05:21:26
    kobidobidog
    Save your life, and you will lose it lose your life for Christs sake, and you will keep it. The life you will keep is your soul. If you can subdue whoever, and not kill whoever to make peace with whoever do so.
  • Brynn kobidob... 2012/05/30 08:01:50
  • kobidob... Brynn 2012/05/30 19:36:15 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    To say there is no soul or afterlife is to say there is no eternity around this planet sitting on nothing with life on it that we never made. Have the spirit of God in you not being retaliatory to kill, and when you body dies it will be as if you never died. That is why Jesus behaved the way he behaved. Wide is the way the leads to destruction, and many there be that find it. The wide way is at this time your choice. If you can defend yourself without harming him do it. When you get the upper hand show mercy. You will be the better man no matter what the other human does.
  • Brynn kobidob... 2012/05/30 23:02:19
  • kobidob... Brynn 2012/05/30 23:20:47 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    A Christian loves wherever as themselves doing good to whoever. Apparently you believe in doing bad to whoever even as you want bad to be done to you being a hypocrite not giving anyone love not even loving yourself. Your accusation is false. I am not a cult.
  • Brynn kobidob... 2012/05/30 23:33:27
  • kobidob... Brynn 2012/06/01 03:00:42
    kobidobidog
    I am not a cult, and I am not a religion. Is that clear !!!!~!~!~!~!!!!!Q@!@#
  • offline 2012/05/13 10:43:02
    offline
    +1
    If I'm correct.....the bible says thou shall not kill is this part of the 10 commandments and just in case you bring up a eye for a eye? well you are wrong it only means if a man take your eye you turn and let him take the other, if he slap your cheek you turn and let him slap the other. violance only cause more violance. death penalty for murder, next it will be for shoplifting and not paying your bills on time.
  • kobidob... offline 2012/05/25 05:23:38 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    You are perfect even as my father in heaven is perfect. KJV, Matthew 5;-48.

2014/09/22 04:41:59