PUBLIC OPINION > The Death Penalty Is Necessary

SodaHead Infographics 2012/04/30 16:00:00
California is getting ready to vote on whether or not to repeal capital punishment, so we took it to the broader public first, asking one basic question: Is the death penalty necessary? Though capital punishment is not practiced in most countries, it is practiced in the four most populous countries (China, India, Indonesia, and most of the U.S.), making it a complex and controversial topic. But don't worry, we broke it down for you by country, state -- and much more. Want to know how they feel about it in California? You might be surprised. Let's dive!

death penalty sodahead infographic

• Striker 2012/04/30 17:24:35
    Striker
    +14
    Tell ya what. That 35% who think horrid criminals should live and stay in prison can now pay the costs of storing them and providing their care and feeding.

The rest of us will pay for a bullet.

• Hillary... Pat 2012/06/03 21:43:17
    HillaryLover
    There are thousands of murderer's in our prison systems. Less than five percent of them are on death row. The death penalty is arbitray and capriciously applied, Pat.

Bottomline, the death penalty is not necessary.

Leading execution countries:
    China, USA (mostly in TX), Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Somalia, Iraq, Nigeria, Syria, Sudan.

Countries that aboilshed capital punishment:
    Great Britain, Australia, Canada, France, Russia, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, the Netherland.

C'mon, Pat, don't you think it's time we joined the rest of the civilized world?
  • Pat Hillary... 2012/06/04 02:59:00 (edited)
    I would say let's make death less arbitrary.

Apply it 90 or 95%. Maybe the preventative effect would be greater.

Other countries should conform to us, or just do their own thing. Conformity just for it's own sake's not a good argument.
  • Hillary... Pat 2012/06/04 11:20:42
    HillaryLover
    But we are conforming to China, Iraq, Syria, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, and other countries of that ilk. That is not a good thing.

Are we really the moral equivalent to those countries, Pat? There is no rational argument for unnecessary killing.
  • Pat Hillary... 2012/06/06 17:14:25
    OR...are they conforming to us?

They were established 1st, but in continuing England's system when we were established did we emulate some other countries?

Joining other countries in some sort of misguided herd (or more appropriately in your case - lemming) instinct strikes me as NOT a way to form a justice system.
  • Hillary... Pat 2012/06/06 22:00:17
    HillaryLover
    Clearly, Pat, you have a great passion for killing. A Texas prosecutor's dream.

Enjoy while it lasts. I predict that America will join with the rest of civilized democracies and abolish capital punishment within the next fifteen years.
  • Pat Hillary... 2012/06/07 02:15:11
    I don't have a passion for killing at all.

Being for the death penalty doesn't say that, you're simply attempting to set up a straw man. I would want no one killed if murder didn't exist, for instance.

Points of view like yours are what leads to ridiculous situations like criminals being able to point their guns at their OWN heads & take THEMSELVES hostage.
  • addie Hillary... 2012/05/02 04:23:39 (edited)
    addie
    +1
    It is usually not up to the jury to assign the death penalty, but if I voted for it as a juror, I would take the responsibility and pull the lever. Really, I will. How's that?

i would do it even if it is someone who killed before, got, natural life, had the sentence commuted, was realeased and then raped and killed you or your kids.
    You are welcome.

And I am not even sure if the death penalty is right or wrong because I feel we just do not have all of the facts.

So seriously, you are welcome. lol
  • Hillary... addie 2012/05/02 06:41:53
    HillaryLover
    +1
    Let me add this, Addie. In jury trials life or death is the jury's call. The judge cannot impose the death sentence without jury recomendations. And juries don't always get it right - neither do prosecutors and judges. BTW, when was the last time a wealthy American was executed by our judicial system? Think about it.
  • addie Hillary... 2012/05/02 09:31:37
    addie
    +1
    The juries, in a state with mandatory sentences, might be said to be making that call, but the instruction is always very clear a jury is to consider the facts presented in the court, not what a penalty might be.
  • Hillary... addie 2012/05/02 21:53:19
    HillaryLover
    In death penaty cases, juries are given a wide range of options to consider in the sentencing phase - death, life in prison without parole, life with parole. With all due respect, Addie, you are not well versed on our judicial syatem. Are you a Texan?
  • Joanna ... Hillary... 2012/05/02 20:32:18
    Joanna the Great
    +1
    I agree, these people who are so in love with execution should strap the man in and pull the lever.
  • joe mauro 2012/05/01 05:38:55
    joe mauro
    +2
    gee what a shock
  • Joanna ... joe mauro 2012/05/02 20:35:02
    Joanna the Great
    If that was a pun, I enjoyed it. if not, I enjoyed it even more.
  • joe mauro Joanna ... 2012/05/02 23:07:21
    joe mauro
    lol
  • vdehl 2012/05/01 04:36:27
    vdehl
    +1
    No it is no longer necessary... People can just be put to sleep for as long as needed.
  • pterodactyl 2012/05/01 04:21:21
    pterodactyl
    +2
    i think it is cuz if a man kill somebody eventually he will go to hell might as well make it sooner then later
  • Jay Rob... pteroda... 2012/05/01 07:56:28
    Jay Robinson
    +2
    And if their is no hell??? You would have given them the easy way out, when thay could suffer a life in prison
  • addie pteroda... 2012/05/02 04:36:41
    addie
    +1
    Are you serious?
    Why does faith cause some people to stop them thinking, altogether?

You can take comfort in your belief, but your beliefs are not everyone else's so legislating with it is...nevermind, you can't understand.
  • Jiorgia 2012/05/01 04:17:14
    Jiorgia
    +2
    i dont think that any government (or state) has the right to revoke someones right to life.
    especially when there is a way to keep that person from harming society ever again, which is the cheaper option then the death penalty.
    life without parole or long life sentence.

"Ideas opposing the death penalty….

1) Concerning the claim of justice for the victim’s family, I say there is no amount of retaliatory deaths that would compensate to me the inestimable value of my daughter’s life, nor would they restore her to my arms. To say that the death of any other person would be just retribution is to insult the immeasurable worth of our loved ones who are victims. We cannot put a price on their lives. That kind of justice would only dehumanize and degrade us because it legitimates an animal instinct for gut-level blood thirsty revenge…. In my case, my own daughter was such a gift of joy and sweetness and beauty, that to kill someone in her name would have been to violate and profane the goodness of her life; the idea is offensive and repulsive to me.

Marietta Jaeger, whose 7 year-old daughter Susie was kidnapped and murdered in the US in 1973.

2) Can the state, which represents the whole of society and has the duty of protecting society, fulfill that duty by lowering i...

&

&

"Ideas opposing the death penalty….

2) Can the state, which represents the whole of society and has the duty of protecting society, fulfill that duty by lowering itself to the level of the murderer, and treating him as he treated others? The forfeiture of life is too absolute, too irreversible, for one human being to inflict it on another, even when backed by legal process. And I believe that future generations, throughout the world, will come to agree.

Kofi Annan, Ghanaian diplomat and Secretary General of the United Nations 1997 -2007.

3) Judicial execution can never cancel or remove the atrocity it seeks to punish; it can only add a second atrocity to the original one… So long as one sees killing as wrong there is no need to waste time with the deterrent argument, since it would be nonsense to try to prevent a theoretical evil in the future by perpetrating an actual one in the present.

Auberon Waugh, 20th Century British author & journalist

4) The death penalty is wrong. It is inhuman. It is degrading. It is an atavist relict of a pre-civilized past in which justice was dispensed with a sword, to avenge, never to prevent. To kill, not to heal. The death penalty does not deter violence. It perpetuates it. It does not do justice, it denies it. The death penalty violates human rights, in a ruthless, absolute and irreversible manner.

Lord Russell-Johnston, British President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe 2001

5) There is a very broad theory that society gets the right to hang, as the individual gets the right to defend himself. Suppose she does; there are certain principles which limit this right. Society has got the murderer within four walls; he never can do any more harm. Has society any need to take that man’s life to protect itself? If any society has only the right that the individual has, she has no right to inflict the penalty of death, because she can effectually restrain the individual from ever again committing his offence.

Wendell Phillips, 19th Century US lawyer & politician

6) People who are well represented at trial do not get the death penalty … I have yet to see a death case among the dozens coming to the Supreme Court, on eve-of-execution stay applications, in which the defendant was well represented at trial.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice 2001

7) From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death. For more than 20 years I have endeavored…to develop…rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor…Rather than continue to coddle the court’s delusion that the desired level of fairness has been achieved…I feel…obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed

Justice Blackmun, Supreme Court Justice quoted in1994

8) Nothing would be lost if death penalty statutes were repealed… The process is so fatally flawed that the only solution lies in abolishing capital punishment. Most nations with which we share a common heritage have already taken this step. The relatives of the victim have the right to demand swift and sure punishment, but they do not have the right to demand death when the process is so severely flawed.

Charles B Blackmar, former senior judge of Missouri’s Supreme Court 2003

9) With every cell of my being, and with every fiber of my memory, I oppose the death penalty in all forms….I do not believe any civilized society should be at the service of death. I don’t think it’s human to become an Angel of Death.

Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor, Nobel Peace Prize winner in 1986

10) Those resources could be spent in better ways if death eligible killers were sentenced to life without parole. Law enforcement programs that work might have prevented the tragedies we suffered at only a fraction of the cost. A legal system free from the resource drain of the capital punishment system could find, prosecute, and sentence countless other criminals and even take dangerous people of the streets before they commit murder.

An extract taken from a letter sent to Montana House of Representatives signed by 35 families of murder victims seeking for the death penalty to be replaced by life without parole. March 2009."
  • Maxthecat Jiorgia 2012/05/01 14:28:31
    Maxthecat
    +4
    Its not the government that does it in the US. Its a panel of their peers. HUGE difference.
  • Jiorgia Maxthecat 2012/05/01 14:56:51
    Jiorgia
    +1
    The government has allowed the judge to make that sentence, the government has given them the option.
    And actually it's the judge that makes the sentence on behalf of the state government after the peers (jury) finds them guilty.
    Now where is this difference you were speaking of?
  • Mack 2012/05/01 04:16:03
    Mack
    +4
    The death penalty needs to be kept. Especially for those cases where the murderer confesses or there is irrefutable evidence. If you behave like a rabid animal then you should be put down like a rabid animal. Nothing barbaric about that. It's called protecting the citizens of society.
  • diane RN Mack 2012/05/01 04:25:20
    diane RN
    +4
    Some people are born just plain evil, they need to be eradicated.
  • diane RN 2012/05/01 04:07:16
    diane RN
    +4
    We are a country of pussies
  • diane RN diane RN 2012/05/01 04:07:47
  • Mack diane RN 2012/05/01 04:27:32
    Mack
    +3
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
  • wamcalif 2012/05/01 02:44:52
    wamcalif
    +1
    werner herzog death penalty film

Watch this film.
  • Arya 2012/05/01 04:05:12
    Arya
    +8
    Say what you will, but murderers and child predators deserve to be put to death. PERIOD.
  • diane RN wamcalif 2012/05/01 04:11:07
    diane RN
    +2
    what film? link?
  • wamcalif diane RN 2012/05/01 19:36:37
    wamcalif
    +1

"Into the Abyss" by Werner Herzog: Very interesting documentary on the death row inmates (Texas) responsible for a triple murder. It delves into feelings of the victim's families, the perpertrators and even a retired corrections captain who presided over more than 100 executions.
  • fortycal_sig 2012/05/01 02:44:46
    fortycal_sig
    +2
    Sickening. And exactly who are these so-called pro-death-penalty "libertarians?" No libertarian that I know trusts the government with this power.
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/05/01 02:59:07
    VERYwiseguy
    +5
    I see hypocrisy Kill someone for killing,swearing on Bibles Thou shall not kill.Fertilizer no,put them to some use.Since when is money more important than life until now (greed) another sin etc...
  • Joanna ... fortyca... 2012/05/02 00:48:22
    Joanna the Great
    +4
    very good point, i agree completely. Allowing executions dictated by the government is dangerous ground. They supposedly only kill murderers now, except for the men who somehow slipped through the system and were executed while innocent of the crime. Are we so sure it was accidental? Who knows? The point is, there have been innocent American citizens strapped to a chair and electrocuted to death, and the government not only allowed it, they implemented it.
  • Joanna ... fortyca... 2012/05/02 20:37:30
    Joanna the Great
    +1
    THANK YOU. Those are conservatives just calling themselves "libertarian" because they think libertarian = hard-core conservative, when the reality is far different.

For example, no libertarian would vote for Mitt Romney in a million years...
  • Dub 2012/05/01 02:39:20
    Dub
    +2
    I think it needs to be changed. It should be that the person found guilty and given the death penalty should be killed the same exact way he killed his victims. As well as if he tortured them first then he should be tortured in the same way just as long.
  • American☆Atheist 2012/05/01 02:22:35
    American☆Atheist
    +1
    i think it's funny how rwnjs love killing ppl who might be innocent and dont want to protect zygotes
  • Hillary... Dub 2012/05/02 10:29:21
    HillaryLover
    +1
    Countries you might like: Leading execution countries - CHINA, USA, IRAN, SYRIA, PAKISTAN, AFGHANISTAN, SAUDI ARABIA, NORTH KOREA, NIGERIA, SOMALIA.

Countries you might dislike: A few countries that abolished executions - GREAT BRITAIN, AUSTRALIA, CANADA, FRANCE, SPAIN, GERMANY, RUSSIA, ITALY, SOUTH AFRICA.
  • Child o... America... 2012/05/13 02:41:32
    Child of light
    I think you are talking about liberals. Liberals support abortion on demand and oppose the death penalty. They support the murdering of innocent babies guilty of no crime and oppose the execution of a convicted murderer.
  • America... Child o... 2012/05/13 04:09:11
    American☆Atheist
    zygotes are not babies, criminals are ppl...and we get the wrong guy sometimes you moron.
  • Child o... America... 2012/05/17 20:52:00
    Child of light
    Zygotes are undeveloped babies. They are 100% people.

I agree that there is a risk to executing the wrong person. But the main reason we spend so much money on Death Penalty cases is to try and be 100% sure that we are trying and convicting the right person.

There are bigger risks of wrongful murders of people by criminals who have not been executed. What about all the victims who died because they testified against a criminal? We must do everything possible to safeguard such people and society in general from being attacked by a murderer again.

There are even bigger risks of wrongful deaths by drunk driving or even driving in general. More people die due to car accidents in one year than people have been killed via the death penalty since 1976.

Executions in the United States since 1976: 1,294
    http://www.clarkprosecutor.or...

Motor Vehicle Accidents:
    http://www.census.gov/compend...

2014/10/01 22:21:40