PUBLIC OPINION > The Aurora Shooter Should Get the Death Penalty

The nation is still struggling to process the tragic events of July 20, when 12 people were shot dead in a Colorado theater during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises." The suspected gunman, James Eagan Holmes, was charged with 24 counts of first-degree murder. That's two for each victim: one standard charge, and one with "extreme indifference to the value of human life generally." We asked the public if the shooter should get the death penalty.

Looking back at Colorado's recent history with capital punishment, we find that only one person has been executed since 1977 -- Gary Lee Davis, for the rape and murder of one woman. There are also three people on death row in Colorado -- Nathan Dunlap, who murdered four people; Mario Owns, who murdered two people; and Robert Ray, who ordered the murder of two people. Given the company, it doesn't sound like it will be that difficult to get the shooter on death row. The public will be happy to hear it.

Proximity Poll

Before we get into the demographics proper, we wanted to compare the results of this poll to one we took in April. At that time, we asked if the death penalty was necessary. About 62% of the public felt it was. However, this time, relating the issue to a horrendous case that's still fresh in our minds, overall support for the death penalty was 14% higher.

Liberals Let Go

Age and politics seemed to have the most significant correlation with how people responded, but the political breakdown was more interesting when compared to the April poll. While conservative opinion remained about the same, liberals almost doubled their support from 33% to 59%. However, that could have something to do with the wording -- "Is the death penalty necessary?" versus "Should he get it?"

Teens Are Torn

Teens were the only major demographic that was still undecided. Only 51% of them think the shooter should get the death penalty. There were several arguments against it -- death is too painless, we shouldn't stoop to his level, some even pitched conspiracy theories and government cover-ups. The most popular response to any of those arguments was the cost of a life sentence.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about the death penalty. We'd love to hear from you!

• Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/07/31 23:32:37
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +12
    Don't like the death penalty. Why not let them give back to society? Hard labour, mining, medical testing, there are lots of things we could put scum to work on. Why not use them instead of defenceless animals in early-stage pharmaceutical testing?

• Sophia0... star 2012/08/05 14:34:45
    Sophia030394
    +1
    Unfortunately, race plays a part in whether he is seen as evil or mentally ill. So far, on other sites, observers like me have found that people have sympathy for him seemingly because he's white and assume mental illness was the cause. No one thought that when Vick did what he did, or OJ, or extremist Muslims. Of course, for the latter, everyone believes them to be mentally ill, but there's a lack of sympathy.
    Hence, every and any criminal should be examined for illness, whether physical or mental. Being white shouldn't make him special, however that means that minorities should not be treated as lesser beings.
  • Bill Sophia0... 2012/08/05 15:39:26
    Bill
    +1
    {Hence, every and any criminal should be examined for illness, whether physical or mental.}
    I agree. Then execute them.
  • star Sophia0... 2012/08/06 03:10:27
    star
    I agree. Minorities and all others should be treated equally. We have to show everyone we cannot kill and get away with it. I don't care what race one is. Send them for mental help then send them to prison to pay their dues. My son was murdered and I know how it hurts. My son's murderer is still serving time after 28 years and I hope he dies there. His mother died all too soon because of what he did. My husband has been deathly ill all these years because of him. I hope he never gets out to hurt another family as he did mine.
  • Rod 2012/08/04 01:28:26
    Rod
    +1
    I didn't know that the Aurora, CO shooting "suspect" (Holmes) had been found guilty. Wait a minute he hasn't even gone to trial yet and yet we are trying to execute him. Where is the "presumed innocent" until proven guilty mentality? If he is found guilty then life in prison with that pretty red hair would be worse than death. I'm not against the death penalty, I just know that life in prison would be worse for me than death.
  • Sophia0... Rod 2012/08/05 14:36:26
    Sophia030394
    They actually have convicted him, and I agree on your view on life in prison.
  • Rod Sophia0... 2012/08/05 16:14:06
    Rod
    Who has convicted him? The media? the court? public opinion? I believe that he is guilty however, he has not had a trial yet so he is "presumed" innocent.
  • FairLady 2012/08/03 22:10:26
    FairLady
    100% agree ab death penalty.
  • sketchbone 2012/08/03 22:03:28
    sketchbone
    Death by firing squad of victims families
  • STEEL 2012/08/03 20:46:33
  • RezcrashGB 2012/08/03 20:45:24
    RezcrashGB
    +1
    Ants would do the best job on this F#### Idiot.
  • Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR 2012/08/03 20:37:15 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    Oh ....... hell yes ....... the word death
  • Steveth... Cindy64... 2012/08/04 21:44:21
    Stevethinks
    OOOOOOOOO I like that. How creative!
  • Cindy64... Steveth... 2012/08/05 00:35:21
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    Yes i thought so !!!
  • j moraman 2012/08/03 18:38:26
    j moraman
    +5
    Death penalty is to quick, allow the family members and the survivors to line up and shoot pieces off his body to allow him to live in pain and then blow his brains out. call me what you want but I dont care, when is enough enough? castrate the bastard
  • Steveth... j moraman 2012/08/04 21:50:13
    Stevethinks
    Which part of his body would you suggest applying them to. Hey, I think you may have a future carer in the Egyptian prisons. You could help train Al-Qaida and the Taliban. Or even create your own terrorist group. Uncle Sam says"Ilbombya wants you!"
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/03 17:08:21
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    burning at the stake

or maybe - and possibly better - immurement?

immured
  • Cindy64... teacham... 2012/08/03 20:34:18
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    That first pic is were he is going when he does DIE ....Right to HELL..... hell
  • Steveth... Cindy64... 2012/08/04 21:51:41
    Stevethinks
    I think Homeland Security ought to check you out. Pretty creepy!
  • Cindy64... Steveth... 2012/08/05 00:37:06
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    What are you one of these bleeding heart liberal
  • Cindy64... Steveth... 2012/08/05 00:43:17 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    I do not think so!!! So i post something about a person who planned and did KILL people and i guess you think he will will go to heaven hmmmm NO!! Hell will be for him!! bleeding heart liberal You are the CREEPY ONE!!
  • Sophia0... Cindy64... 2012/08/05 14:38:46
    Sophia030394
    Woah there buddy, I'm liberal and I believe he'll burn like charcoal!
  • Cindy64... Sophia0... 2012/08/05 15:24:22
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    Good we agree on that!
  • Man of god 2012/08/03 16:43:41
    Man of god
    if its federal type it mostly falls under 3rd degree for death penalty the others either get tears or life in in prison
  • Love bug 2012/08/03 16:38:33
    Love bug
    yes dhhh
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/08/03 15:57:48
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +1
    Unfortunately I think we've made the death penalty an easy way out for people. Stick a needle in their arm and they are off to permanent sleep.

Frankly if we are going to use the death penalty we should make it as violent and heinous as the act or acts they commit.

Personally I'd like to see this scum, taken out in the prairie east of Pueblo on a hot summer day, staked out in six point restraint over a fire ant hill, have the victims families defecate on him and then top it with a trail of honey to entice the ants. once the ants are done leave him for the coyotes and vultures to spread his bones .
  • Steveth... Grounds... 2012/08/04 21:58:19 (edited)
    Stevethinks
    The death the penalty means solitary confinement and more attorney's fees for his appeals at a greater expense to you and me. Do they actually kill them and how often? Life is a cheaper way to go. Also, the government doesn't always have such a air tight case; so how often are they wrong? This makes US just as bad, only more along the lines of the Holocaust.
  • Cindy64... Steveth... 2012/08/05 15:36:13
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    Hey bleeding heart......... it cost us more ...our Tax Dollars to keep these CREEPS alive for 20 to 30 yrs. it is cheaper to have the death penalty!! You seem to LIKE this KILLER and feel so sorry for him.......how about feeling sorry for the families who lost their loved ones who this A$$ killed !! How about the mother who lost her only child her little 6 yr.old girl and her unborn baby she lost because of the wacko CREEP LOW LIFE SLIME!! I feel the death penalty is so RIGHT in this case!! And the Holocaust point you said HELL NO.!! I guess you just want KILLERS to be set free..... how would you feel if this guy you seem to care about so much killed someone in your family or shot you !!! You LIB's are nothing but this..... liberal brain liberal brain
  • Bob 2012/08/03 15:41:31 (edited)
    Bob
    +1
    A little electricity is good for murderers, rapist and child molesters. Lets say, if I did horrible things to people I'd expect the death penalty for myself.
  • Larry 2012/08/03 14:56:58
    Larry
    +1
    We should hang him until he's flopping around like a chicken with it's head cut off
  • buneter 2012/08/03 14:48:36
  • i00wattz 2012/08/03 14:48:21
    i00wattz
    +2
    strip him down to his underwear, and release him to the public. good, oldfashioned lynch mob.
  • j moraman i00wattz 2012/08/03 18:46:54
    j moraman
    +1
    this douche below is worried about human rights, screw that tie a rope around his balls and slowly allow pressure until they rip off, and then let the family members and the survivors have there revenge slowly.
  • Cindy64... j moraman 2012/08/05 15:45:17
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    Look below to my reply to dumb A$$ das !!I agree with you!!
  • das 2012/08/03 14:46:13
  • j moraman das 2012/08/03 18:43:38
  • das j moraman 2012/08/03 19:07:03
  • Cindy64... j moraman 2012/08/05 15:46:01
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    das has NO BRAINS !!!
  • Cindy64... das 2012/08/05 15:42:19 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +1
    Hey what about the humans RIGHTS of these people that he KILLED !! You bleeding heart......... You seem to LIKE this KILLER and feel so sorry for him.......how about feeling sorry for the families who lost their loved ones who this A$$ killed !! How about the mother who lost her only child her little 6 yr.old daughter and (mother) her unborn baby she lost because of the wacko CREEP LOW LIFE SLIME!!! That baby did NOT get a chance to have his/her RIGHT to LIFE !! I feel the death penalty is so RIGHT in this case!! I guess you just want KILLERS to be set free..... how would you feel if this guy you seem to care about so much killed someone in your family or shot you !!! You LIB's are nothing but this..... liberal brain liberal no brain YOU!!!!!!
  • das Cindy64... 2012/08/08 21:00:20
  • Cindy64... das 2012/08/09 04:29:15
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    You seem still to have such feelings for this EVIL person with a coment like this....But respect his rights and his dignity, HEll did the SOAB .... did he respect the rights and dignity of the people HE SHOT AND KILLED HELL NO !!! YOU ARE STILL A BLEEDING HEART......FOOL AND...... LIBERALNO BRAIN

2014/07/25 16:02:33