PUBLIC OPINION > Teen Marijuana Use Is Not That Big of a Deal

SodaHead News 2012/05/04 16:00:00
We've done polls on marijuana in the past, and typically voters give it the polling equivalent of a shrug. Even if they don't smoke it or condone it, it's not as dangerous as alcohol and not worth fussing over. But a recent survey shows teen marijuana use is on the rise -- nearly 10% of teens are smoking 20 times a month or more. No wonder it's California's biggest cash crop! Teen use can be scary, though, as the longterm effects of marijuana use on developing brains is still unclear, and bad habits can form in those early years. So we asked the public if the increase in teen use is cause for concern.

teen weed sodahead

Again, the majority feels marijuana is just not that big of a deal. Even with teens, the sentiment seems to be, "Better weed than alcohol." The Top Opinion read, "Sure I would prefer they didn't do all of these things but when you look at the alternatives kids that want to get high really bad probably will, and if it's not marijuana it will probably be something dangerous." Yes, weed can be bad. It can be habit-forming, and it can glue you to the couch. But hey, at least they aren't drinking hand sanitizer.

Fluctuating Feelings

Teens themselves were exactly in-line with the overall vote -- exactly 41% are pretty concerned. As voters got a little bit older, in their early 20s, that number dipped to 29% concern. Then it worked its way back up to 57% as voters entered their 50s. Age definitely showed a pattern, but the change of heart was slow-turning, reversible, and not very passionate.

Reluctance From the Right

The two demographics that showed considerable resistance were Christians and conservatives, both coming in at about 65% concern. It's not that they think marijuana is going to destroy the youth, they're just reluctant to give it a green light. No pun intended. Plus, it's illegal, which certainly adds weight to the issue from a right-leaning perspective.

Shrug From the Smokers

As usual, smokers tend to back the marijuana users. Drinkers, too, though not as much. It would be silly to condemn the use of marijuana when you're indulging in a relatively risky substance yourself. As far as we know, like the Top Opinion said, tobacco and alcohol have more risk involved. You might be better off without it, but weed never killed anyone. Not officially, at least.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about teen marijuana use. We'd love to hear from you!

• wilsonmja 2012/05/05 01:05:53
    wilsonmja
    +19
    Conservatives crack me up. From a conservative you would likely hear "guns don't kill people, people do." I happen to agree with the sentiment behind that. However, I also believe that drugs don't ruin lives, people ruin lives. For some reason a conservative cant see how it's the same thing.

• Preside... bob h. 2012/06/04 15:20:58
    President Camacho
    One spliff equals 10 cigs.
  • bob h. Preside... 2012/06/04 15:36:34
    bob h.
    +1
    I think whoever thought that up, smokes too much pot. So how come nobody ever dies of grass? Never happened, ever.
  • Preside... bob h. 2012/06/04 15:37:10
    President Camacho
    Wrong...dui
  • bob h. Preside... 2012/06/04 15:53:31
    bob h.
    Why not blame Chevy?
  • Preside... bob h. 2012/06/05 15:34:09
    President Camacho
    Chevy didn't make you high.
  • Preside... bob h. 2012/06/04 15:38:49
  • Preside... bob h. 2012/06/04 15:40:36
  • Preside... bob h. 2012/06/04 15:42:38
    President Camacho
    Also emphysema lung cancer chronic copd asthma

People die from grass
  • bob h. Preside... 2012/06/04 15:54:30
    bob h.
    Not once.
  • Preside... bob h. 2012/06/05 15:35:59
    President Camacho
    Just because you disagree with all of the medical community doesn't make it so
  • John Fr... Preside... 2012/06/17 03:16:03
    John Freeman
    Too much of anything is bad for you.

At least weed is a natural drug and there is a clear sense of risk(for most ppl anyway), even more so with all the overblown, negative hype its been getting.

All the other stuff pumped into our everyday lives like the examples I posted above on the other hand...
  • Preside... John Fr... 2012/06/18 13:58:12
    President Camacho
    So you admit that it is risky, now we are getting somewhere.
  • Cimoc Feiler Naitsabes 2012/05/08 21:51:01
    Cimoc Feiler Naitsabes
    +3
    WHY MUST YOU PEOPLE ALWAYS BRING POLITICS INTO EVERYF!CKING QUESTION OR POLL?
  • Brynn Cimoc F... 2012/05/15 12:32:58
    Brynn
    +1
    Pot shouldn't be a political subject.
  • Cimoc F... Brynn 2012/06/17 03:46:17
  • Kayla's Prince ☭ 2012/05/08 20:42:41
    Kayla's Prince ☭
    +3
    Weed isn't a gateway drug and should be legalized... I smoke pot and have no need for anything stronger the whole point of pot is to relieve stress and have a little fun, not do pot then Meth the week next...
  • moiraregis 2012/05/08 19:20:59
    moiraregis
    +3
    Pot should be legalized, grown in the U.S. in various states in the direst economic peril, and sold not only to citizens of legal age but also to tourists in little marijuana cafes in blighted vacation spots like Las Vegas. And we would grow the finest pot on earth, thanks to our agribusiness whizzes. Amsterdam has just outlawed pot smoking by nonresidents; we are sitting on a potential economic bonanza--something this country desperately needs. For most people, marijuana is a gateway drug only to more marijuana. Those unfortunates who try and become addicted to harder drugs after smoking pot could land in the same hole after their first drink--and that's been legal since the failed experiment called Prohibition. Also, very few pot-induced shootings or deadly brawls have occurred.
    Personally, i think the entire Middle East should be crop-dusted with hashish smoke three times a day. calm everybody the hell down!
  • shiva 2012/05/08 16:29:41
    shiva
    +3
    I smoke on occasion and will admit, it can be habit forming ( I've seen friends have to figure in their monthly earnings for it!) . I also do believe it's a gateway, as with all barriers once one is broken the next is likely after it. I guarantee you if I never tried pot I'd never have tried coke, K, or anything else. Probably would have had interest in cigarettes either. However, pot itself is of no real danger, but the people take it way too seriously are. Laziness and indecisiveness come
    to mind. I do believe it should be legalized though
  • mikey 2012/05/08 08:02:27
    mikey
    +1
    very big deal its sad to also how young ppl are just frying thier brain cells
  • bob h. mikey 2012/06/03 21:09:08
    bob h.
    +1
    If you think pot fries brain cells, try religion.
  • NKULE 2012/05/08 07:46:31
    NKULE
    +1
    it definately is a big deal
  • moiraregis NKULE 2012/05/08 19:25:40
    moiraregis
    +1
    it's only a big deal because around the middle of the 20th century, the inventors of dacron did not want competition from the hemp business, and so set about demonizing marijuana smoking. as always, it was about money. and it is a big deal when you leave a thriving industry in the hands of cutthroat drug lords. lots of people get killed and they make tons of money. rethink this.
  • Stoner NKULE 2012/05/08 21:40:02
  • Common Sense Conservative 2012/05/08 05:23:38
    Common Sense Conservative
    +3
    Idiotic response from a parent that doesn't care.

"I'd rather my kid smoke pot than drink alcohol."

Great response from a parent that does care.

My kid will not smoke weed or drink alcohol as long as he or she lives in my house and we as a family will deal with it, not friends.
  • moiraregis Common ... 2012/05/08 19:22:41
    moiraregis
    +5
    "My kid will not smoke weed or drink alcohol as long as he or she lives in my house"--that's what YOU think--
  • Common ... moiraregis 2012/05/09 19:38:45
    Common Sense Conservative
    I don't think, I know because I am a parent to my kids, not someone that doesn't care.
  • Common Sense Conservative 2012/05/08 05:20:23
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    Just shows you how STUPID people can be.
  • Guido Common ... 2012/05/08 13:15:21
    Guido
    +3
    Kid will do thier thing and you won't even know.... unless there's a problem....
  • Common ... Guido 2012/05/08 16:24:25
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    This I just can not understand. I know what my kids are doing each and every moment of the day and I can say 100% positively that it's not smoking pot. And if a kid is smoking pot then there IS a problem regardless and it most likely starts at home with the parents.
  • johnnyg Common ... 2012/05/08 16:44:17
    johnnyg
    My parents were good parents and they never knew I smoked pot untill I smoked it in front of them at a party. I haven't smoked it in ten yrs. so I'm not a pothead.
  • Common ... johnnyg 2012/05/08 16:50:08
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    LOL, this has to be the best post for my side yet. You smoked pot at a party in front of your parents. Son, if your parents aren't blind then your parents are idiots.

Brilliant!!!
  • johnnyg Common ... 2012/05/08 17:21:38
    johnnyg
    +2
    I was 25 years old, a man.
  • Common ... johnnyg 2012/05/08 18:25:22
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    I'd still kick my kids @ss for doing it in front of me. That is just a huge lack of respect.
  • NKULE Common ... 2012/05/11 08:27:05
    NKULE
    +1
    thats what they ol need..a kick in the butt
  • Stoner Common ... 2012/05/08 21:43:16
    Stoner
    +2
    Run from the cure-"I want people to know hoe to help themselves."Rick Simpson"

All causes of death per year 2,436,652

Cardiovascular diseases 779,367
    Malignant neoplasms 568,668
    Lack of Health Insurance3 44,789
    Drug induced2 37,485
    Suicide 36,547
    Motor vehicle accidents 36,284
    Septicemia (infections) 35,587
    by Firearms 31,224
    Accidental poisoning 30,504
    Alcohol induced 23,199
    Homicide 16,591
    Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) 9,424
    Viral hepatitis 7,652
    Cannabis (Marijuana) 0
    Major marijuana myth: pot use use can be a cause of death. So say many anti-drug warriors, such as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who recently wrote to a constituent that "marijuana and other narcotics" can lead to death.

PotleafAccording to Time magazine, "No one has ever died of THC [marijuana] poisoning, mostly because a 160-pound person would have to smoke roughly 900 joints in a sitting to reach a lethal dose."

In 1988, DEA Administrative Judge Francis Young concluded, "In order to induce death, a smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette."

Former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elder wrote in 2004: "Unlike many of the drugs we prescribe every day, marijuana has never been proven to cause a fatal overdose."

this is from budfacts.com
    Now take a moment...

All causes of death per year 2,436,652

Cardiovascular diseases 779,367
    Malignant neoplasms 568,668
    Lack of Health Insurance3 44,789
    Drug induced2 37,485
    Suicide 36,547
    Motor vehicle accidents 36,284
    Septicemia (infections) 35,587
    by Firearms 31,224
    Accidental poisoning 30,504
    Alcohol induced 23,199
    Homicide 16,591
    Viral hepatitis 7,652
    Cannabis (Marijuana) 0

this is from budfacts.com
    Now take a moment to think about how wonderful this plant really is! It is capable of providing clothing (hemp is the strongest fiber in the world), it provides nutrition (cannabis seeds contain the most concentrated nutrients found in any food)! It’s “main ingredient” THC has even been proven to be anti-carcinogenic, eliminating lymphatic tumors in test rats within two weeks.

On top of all of these wonderful benefits, it has now been SCIENTIFICALLY CONFIRMED that it indeed does increase creativity, reduce depression and anxiety, and promote peace.

No wonder half of the population smokes it even though it is still illegal.
    A joke ;; The difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver...The drunk driver will run a stop sign...A stoned driver will stop and wait for the sign to turn green...

-The journal of Clinical Oncology reported in 1989 that 48% of respondents to a survey of cancer specialists recommended marijuana as medicine.

-Jocelyn Elders, the news Surgeon General of the United States, has said that she will back the medical use of marijuana and "marijuana is beneficial to many patients."

-Dr. James Malone-Lee, a consultant urologist at St. Pancras Hospital, London has several MS patients who smoke marijuana. "I'm quite impressed by what's happened to patients who have used it", he says.

-Dr. Anthony Henman, former Secretary of International Anti-Prohibition League, says "one of the best effects marijuana can have in any terminal illness is to produce a degree of euphoria which boosts morale in a depressing situation."

-"marijuana is one of the best least toxic substances in the whole pharmacopoeia", according to Dr. Lester Grinspoon, Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.

-Nabilone (from Eli Lilly) a synthetic cousin of Delta-9 THC is still considered virtually useless when compared with marijuana by doctors and patients alike.

-The U.S. governments leading scientist on pulmonary research, said in 1989 at UCLA "that you can't get or pontentiate emphysema with marijuana smoking.
  • Urhsten Stoner 2012/05/09 03:00:46
    Urhsten
    I disagree, I have Dysthemia(Mood disorder). Whenever I used to get high, I used to have fun. But when the hogh wore off, all my problems crashed down agian. Im neutral about legalizing it, by the way. But this article is so biased, that it's pointless to even read it. (no offense)
  • Stoner Urhsten 2012/05/09 04:53:11
    Stoner
    +3
    "truth is treason in a empire of lies"---Ron Paul
    its not me saying this its doctors...Watch run from the cure here is link
  • Urhsten Stoner 2012/05/09 11:53:37
  • Stoner Urhsten 2012/05/09 17:32:04
    Stoner
    believe what you want to believe but ill say this again ..I would rather take a drug made by GOD then one made by man anytime!!
  • Urhsten Stoner 2012/05/09 20:19:26
    Urhsten
    +1
    Theres a good point.

2014/04/21 12:27:57