Public Opinion Supports Pot-Smoking Parents: Surprised? [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2011/08/24 22:00:00
Earlier this week we asked SodaHeads what they thought about police getting involved with pot-smoking parents. Should police launch child-endangerment investigations because a parent smokes weed, or should the authorities keep their paws off pot?

If you missed out on the original story, here's an excerpt:

When police found around 10 grams of marijuana in Penelope Harris' Bronx apartment last year, prosecutors didn't even bother charging her with the crime because the amount wasn't even significant enough to merit a misdemeanor.

It was, however, enough to have her kids taken from her.

According to the New York Times, Harris had two kids living with her when police found the illicit substance, her 10-year-old son and 8-year-old niece -- and child welfare took both of them from her possession, despite not being charged with anything.

Her son was returned within a week but her niece, who was living with Harris as a foster child, was taken from her for over a year. Harris only recently got her back.

She said, "I felt like less of a parent, like I had failed my children. It tore me up."

So, what did SodaHeads decide?

Keep your paws off our weed! Of course, not everyone agreed, so we thought this would be the perfect question to dive into for today's Deep Dive infographic. Wanna know what parents thought? What about the kids? And where are the majority of these pot-smoking parents likely residing?

We've compiled all that information and more right here -- and presented it in a simple, easy-to-read infographic.

Let's dive.

pot-smoking parents residing compiled information simple easy-to-read graphic layout dive

• mike j 2011/08/24 22:45:55
    mike j
    +23
    The message here is that the Nanny State has stepped over the line when it comes to the American family , family values , and family activities , this is not just about marijuana , it is the entire overreaching of Government into the personal lives of Americans and American family life.

• Dilophosaurus Rex 2011/08/25 03:50:22
  • HipJipC Dilopho... 2011/08/25 05:41:39
    HipJipC
    +1
    Wow, that was awesome! All I can say is Wow!
    wow awesome wow
  • rk Dilopho... 2011/08/25 06:15:28
    rk
    +2
    Marijuana is illegal that is why. the kid were taken. I know that you are the problem and you will take of you. It's only time until you are so hooked that you will never be able to stop.
  • Mandi P... rk 2011/08/25 17:25:06
  • Dilopho... rk 2011/08/25 19:28:44
    Dilophosaurus Rex
    +1
    im really not going to take the time for this movie, i have heard every excuse in the book. Marijuana is not chemically addictive, yes i will not deny the fact that it can be mentally addictive, but guess what people have the power to over come that, marijuana does not make you rob people, or make you steel from your parents for it.
  • rk Dilopho... 2011/08/27 19:22:28
    rk
    You have ben misled just like global warming being man made. Why do you think that people want you to believe that marijuana is safe? $$$$$$$$ All of the research that is being done is being paid by people that want marijuana legalized.
    researchers that are unbiased explain the truth. You can deny it all you want . I've seen it and seen the actual chemical breakdowns.
  • Dilopho... rk 2011/08/27 23:49:12
    Dilophosaurus Rex
    +1
    Uhh. Humans have made the biggest impact on global warming and if you dont believe that, than you are as ignorant as you are stupid. I dont believe that marijuana is safe, i know it is safe. A whole hell of a lot safer than any alcoholic beverage.
  • rk Dilopho... 2011/08/28 04:02:57
    rk
    Really ever heard of the ice age. No humans there bub, How about the mini ice age of the 1100-1300 no? or the last major cold snap in the late 30-early 40s?
    Or possibly NASA s newest report that the climate change has been caused by solar activity and the earth shifting the point of axis. Oooh . I dare you to stop smoking weed for 90 days. You won't be able to do it. I'll bet you cant get past 45days
  • Dilopho... rk 2011/08/28 16:07:45
  • rk Dilopho... 2011/08/27 19:24:24
    rk
    Really, My son stole from me, and others to support his pot habit, Everyone of the minors that were in rehab stole so your premise is faulty
  • Dilopho... rk 2011/08/28 00:08:41
  • rk Dilopho... 2011/08/28 04:07:41
    rk
    I have three sons two that have never smoked and one that has. I have had 3 beers since 1989 and few margaritas at summers bbqs. But no illegal drugs.
    I hope your son does not see you smoke. Breaking the law in front of them will come back to bite you.
  • Dilopho... rk 2011/08/28 16:08:58
  • rk Dilopho... 2011/08/28 04:04:57
    rk
    That is because you are addicted to pot.
  • Paul Dilopho... 2011/08/25 13:07:27
    Paul
    +1
    first, i agree weed is the least harmful illegal drug and less harmful than many legal drugs and alcohol, but if you really want to compare tobacco with weed take 2 bongs, smoke an ounce of weed through one and an ounce of tobacco through the other. then clean out the resin from each bong and you will see weed contains a LOT more tar. smoking through a bong removes a lot of the tar, smoking joints doesn't. so comparing the tar content of 1 joint with 5 cigarettes is fair if not conservative. however, the average tobacco smoker smokes about 30 grams of tobacco per day and the average pot smoker smokes much less than 6 grams so pot smokers are getting less tar per day than tobacco smokers.
  • MichaelJ Dilopho... 2011/08/25 13:22:22
    MichaelJ
    +1
    Dilop, as a TEA party conservative the first line of your comment reflect my opinion completely!
  • ReasonOverFaith BN - 0 2011/08/25 03:38:07
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    +5
    I have just one thing to say:
  • DavidK ReasonO... 2011/08/25 14:07:46
    DavidK
    +1
    and expect........

Impaired perception
    Diminished short-term memory
    Loss of concentration and coordination
    Impaired judgement
    Increased risk of accidents
    Loss of motivation
    Diminished inhibitions
    Increased heart rate
    Anxiety, panic attacks, and paranoia
    Hallucinations
    Damage to the respiratory, reproductive, and immune systems
    Increased risk of cancer
    Psychological dependency

how sweet................... its a liberal thing
  • Sheila DavidK 2011/08/25 14:58:04
    Sheila
    +1
    Hallucinations??? Not unless it is laced dear.
  • ReasonO... Sheila 2011/08/25 18:31:14
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    +1
    And you have to pay extra for that.
  • Sheila ReasonO... 2011/08/25 19:15:09
    Sheila
    +1
    LOL, unless you are cute.....LOL!!
  • ReasonO... Sheila 2011/08/25 20:05:21
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    +1
    If only my drug dealers had a "cute" discount. Then life would be awesome.
  • Sheila ReasonO... 2011/08/25 20:09:08
    Sheila
    +1
    LOL< my cute discount ran out YEARS ago.....LOL oh well....
  • ReasonO... DavidK 2011/08/25 18:30:59
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    +2
    Impaired judgement? I can think of more stupid things I've done sober. If someone recommend doing something stupid, and I'm high, my normal reply is "Well no, cause thats stupid." Anxiety? I guess thats why they prescribe it to combat anxiety, dumb dumb. Damage to internal organs? Please, we wouldn't give it to AIDs and cancer patients if it made it easier for them to get a disease. Hallucinations?!?! Man, I've done psychedelic drugs. Weed has never caused anything that could be compared to psychedelics even with the world's biggest stretch and wildest imagination. Increased risk of cancer? It has been shown to combat cancer, dumb dumb. And of course, psychological dependency. No, it isn't addictive. If it were at all possible to be addicted, I would have been. Smoked four to five times a day for many months, then had to stop cause I moved into a city and couldn't find a spot. Stopped for three months with no problems at all. Other than the occasional "Man, this food/movie/other-random-activity would be better if I was high. Oh well."
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +1
    You just asked that question to find out "where these pot-smoking parents are likely residing"? Do you even care about that harmless mother who had her children taken away? That's pretty shallow.
  • mihunter 2011/08/25 03:21:40
  • I'm Open mihunter 2011/08/25 07:15:21
    I'm Open
    Great Visual.............
  • TN_Bimbo. 2011/08/25 03:13:00
    TN_Bimbo.
    +2
    hmmm,4 generations and counting in our GOV. school systemhmmm
    ...thanks mom hmmm4 generations counting gov school systemhmmm mom just busted magazine cover
  • Sheila TN_Bimbo. 2011/08/25 19:33:41
    Sheila
    You do know the first graphic shows fetal alcohol syndrome and theat weed (thc) doesn't cross the placenta right?
  • L K 2011/08/25 03:11:38 (edited)
    L K
    +2
    Sorry, but pot and parenthood don't mix. Once you elect to become a parent you need to clean up your act. You don't break the law. I don't care what it is. Plain and simple, you set an example for your kids and anything that is illegal is just that, illegal. It's not allowed in the work place, it's not allowed in the home, and whether you agree or don't agree, its like being a little pregnant. You can't be a little bit legal....parents need to follow the rules too. I personally don't care what single people do, but moms and dads are held to a higher standard. You can't parent if you break the law. Every rational person knows there would be a consequence if an illegal substance were found in the home. PULEASE! The judge had no choice but to take away the kids.
  • mihunter L K 2011/08/25 03:22:46
  • rk mihunter 2011/08/25 06:17:07
    rk
    +2
    No that is why I don't drink to, But you still miss the point . Marijuana is illegal
  • Sue rk 2011/08/26 17:19:28
    Sue
    So was alcohol a long time ago.
  • Lucifer... L K 2011/08/25 03:51:19
    LuciferSage
    +1
    The judge who didn't charge her with anything? That's a poor judgement because if there is no charge then she didn't break any law. Remember that little thing about being innocent until proven guilty, unfortunately it's not true at all, too bad we have a legal system that tells us lies and expects to promote honesty.
  • ghostrider L K 2011/08/25 04:07:34
    ghostrider
    +2
    It's time to change the law(s) on marijuana. But is it also time to start looking at parents who harm their children with second hand smoke ... and what about those who drink? .... maybe even ensure they brainwash their children early by making sure they're taken to church every Sunday? ..... where do you stop?????? .... or start???? ..... get a grip!!
  • L K ghostrider 2011/08/25 11:50:01 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    In the public school system we have a program where a police officer comes in and teaches the kids for 6 weeks about substance abuse (in 5th grade). They learn how harmful all the addictive substances that you mentioned are. Many of the kids whose parents smoke or drink etc. get an education too and realize they are harming their child by exposing them to second hand smoke etc. The kids take the DARE pledge to not do it themselves. The end of the program is a big assembly where the winning essays are read to the parents and teachers. I have had, over my 36 year career, many parents tell me that the program not only helped educate their children to stay away from substances, but after reading the info their kid learned, they stopped either smoking, drinking or doing anything else. The state of Florida does it and it really helps children before they leave elementary school to move onward to middle and high school where they might be exposed to certain elements of drugs etc. I can't comment on the laws. I was in college in the 60's and life was different, but became a parent in 1973. That changed my thinking. You have to be on your game and ready for action at all times when you have children and I personally don't believe any substances should be used when you are paren...
    In the public school system we have a program where a police officer comes in and teaches the kids for 6 weeks about substance abuse (in 5th grade). They learn how harmful all the addictive substances that you mentioned are. Many of the kids whose parents smoke or drink etc. get an education too and realize they are harming their child by exposing them to second hand smoke etc. The kids take the DARE pledge to not do it themselves. The end of the program is a big assembly where the winning essays are read to the parents and teachers. I have had, over my 36 year career, many parents tell me that the program not only helped educate their children to stay away from substances, but after reading the info their kid learned, they stopped either smoking, drinking or doing anything else. The state of Florida does it and it really helps children before they leave elementary school to move onward to middle and high school where they might be exposed to certain elements of drugs etc. I can't comment on the laws. I was in college in the 60's and life was different, but became a parent in 1973. That changed my thinking. You have to be on your game and ready for action at all times when you have children and I personally don't believe any substances should be used when you are parenting. That is just my opinion. Neither of my kids, who are adults now smoke or drink and I never preached to them. I like to think it was just not growing up with it
    in the household. Plus, my oldest survived a tumor when he was in high school and he once said, why would he put bad things in his body when he was given back the gift of life. He's 38 now and at 17, I almost lost him. So he takes good care of himself and his little brother follows his example.
  • Sheila L K 2011/08/25 15:01:18
    Sheila
    My child's head was filled with absolute "reefer madness" style BS in DARE. I am not a fan of the program due to the MISinformation they give.
  • L K Sheila 2011/08/25 18:01:38
    L K
    I sat in and didn't hear anything that was wrong. They have a pamphlet with data about substances that can be addictive. They teach children not to be bullied into taking substances against their will. Reefer madness? If you are trying to defend why you smoke, drink, or do drugs then don't pick on a program that wants to teach children about the harmful affects of substances. I suggest you deal with your own issues and leave the kids and the program alone.
  • Sheila L K 2011/08/25 20:11:12
    Sheila
    LOL, you assume things you shouldn't. I also sat in and have the handouts citing the misinformation. Is the program a bad one? Not really. Is it awesome? LOL< no with the exception they learn the police are friends not foes. Have you seen reefer madness so that you do understand my reference?
  • L K Sheila 2011/08/26 00:05:19
    L K
    +1
    Yes I saw it years ago and laughed when watching it. But, as a teacher I have dealt with children who were taken away from their parents or had parents in jail because of drugs. So i look at it from a different perspective. It is heartbreaking. Just last year I had a bright, beautiful little girl whose mom left her with her aunt and skipped town with her druggie boyfriend. The little girl was so precious and tried so hard but her aunt was only 20 and raising two little girls and there was hardly any money and the mom would blow into town and break her heart and leave again...So, I've seen
    too many kids who are victims of parents who are abusers. I over react I supposed because I am the one who hugs them when they cry, buys them valentine's cards to pass in Feb., buys them Christmas gifts because nobody else cares enough to. My hope is that programs like DARE save one person each year and then I feel that it was a success.

2014/10/31 05:48:43