Public Opinion Supports Pot-Smoking Parents: Surprised? [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2011/08/24 22:00:00
Earlier this week we asked SodaHeads what they thought about police getting involved with pot-smoking parents. Should police launch child-endangerment investigations because a parent smokes weed, or should the authorities keep their paws off pot?

If you missed out on the original story, here's an excerpt:

When police found around 10 grams of marijuana in Penelope Harris' Bronx apartment last year, prosecutors didn't even bother charging her with the crime because the amount wasn't even significant enough to merit a misdemeanor.

It was, however, enough to have her kids taken from her.

According to the New York Times, Harris had two kids living with her when police found the illicit substance, her 10-year-old son and 8-year-old niece -- and child welfare took both of them from her possession, despite not being charged with anything.

Her son was returned within a week but her niece, who was living with Harris as a foster child, was taken from her for over a year. Harris only recently got her back.

She said, "I felt like less of a parent, like I had failed my children. It tore me up."

So, what did SodaHeads decide?

Keep your paws off our weed! Of course, not everyone agreed, so we thought this would be the perfect question to dive into for today's Deep Dive infographic. Wanna know what parents thought? What about the kids? And where are the majority of these pot-smoking parents likely residing?

We've compiled all that information and more right here -- and presented it in a simple, easy-to-read infographic.

Let's dive.

pot-smoking parents residing compiled information simple easy-to-read graphic layout dive

• mike j 2011/08/24 22:45:55
    mike j
    +23
    The message here is that the Nanny State has stepped over the line when it comes to the American family , family values , and family activities , this is not just about marijuana , it is the entire overreaching of Government into the personal lives of Americans and American family life.

• Sheila blushn1980 2011/08/26 16:47:23
    Sheila
    And that is awesome. However keeping your self happy is important too. If they see life as something that is never to be enjoyed then that is not what you want teither is it?
  • blushn1980 Sheila 2011/08/26 22:12:49
    blushn1980
    I am happy. They are my life now. My down time is when they are sleeping. I read, play on the computer. I don't need anything to alter my mood.
  • Sour Dime 2011/08/25 00:50:02
    Sour Dime
    +4
    As long as it's not in front of kids who cares, my mom smokes but she does it in her private bathroom, and my thirteen year old brother doesn't even know. I only know because I told her that I have smoked a couple of times.
  • ptete in left I trust ~ POT... 2011/08/25 00:43:16
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    +9
    Pot is a whole lot less dangerous than alchol. End prohibition. I don't smoke pot OR drink alcohol. It's a personal CHOICE.
  • Leinad ptete i... 2011/08/25 01:11:57
    Leinad
    +4
    I have been saying exactly that to these CONTROL FREAKS, for so long.....I am past being BLUE... freaks blue HOLDING ONES BREATH  gif
  • Cap Leinad 2011/08/25 02:05:08
    Cap
    +2
    Pot is not "a whole lot less dangerous than alcohol" if, indeed, it is any less "dangerous", whatever the use of that adjective is intended to mean. Use of pot and alcohol by someone who is solely responsible for the supervision, guidance, and welfare of two pre-teen children is certainly a factor that should be considered by child welfare authorities in a state that has erected as elaborate a set of protocols governing the monitoring of the upbringing of children as NYS has. Which is not to say that I think NYS should monitor anywhere near as much as it does, but, if it is going to, it's hard for me to think of a factor more worthy of attention than the caregiver's use of mind-altering substances. All that said, and accepting the information we are given in the intro as constituting most of the material information possessed by the child welfare authorities in making the determination they did (which seems quite unlikely regarding the niece - are we to believe there were no alternative arrangements existing for her care?), did those authorities overreact? Yes.
  • Scott Leinad 2011/08/25 02:34:31
    Scott
    +1
    Me Too !
  • ptete i... Leinad 2011/08/25 12:22:26
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    Pot IS a whole lot less dangerous than alcohol. You don't see anyone getting the crap beaten out of them because the aggressor is high on pot. With pot you are more likely to eat and then fall asleep. If you do it when you have kids - it's a whole lot easier for them to wake you up for whatever the reason than it is when you are passed out on alcohol. Those are the facts. End prohibition of substances that are PERSONAL CHOICES. You can't legislate morality or intellect. There will always be people who misuse substances. If they can't take care of themselves or their children because they are too stoned or drunk all the time then they get their children taken away from them after due process. But you have to prove that with alcohol and it should be proven with drugs as well. Smoking a joint after the kids are in bed is not a bad thing. And it's not a bad thing if you aren't blown away stoned in the afternoon either. Some people are still thinking about "REEFER MADNESS" when they think about pot.
  • Leinad ptete i... 2011/08/25 13:23:17
    Leinad
    +2
    actually it is a BIRTH CONTROL for men of sorts, or at least (as the scientists and doctors said) it lowers the production of semen and sperm...REMEMBER that bunk, well I use that info and turn it around..

by the way, I am a PROPONENT of "if alcohol is legal, than POT should be LEGAL, even before ALCOHOL"...
  • Xinea 2011/08/25 00:40:12
    Xinea
    +4
    Let them smoke. I just don't see the point of doing it if you have kids to focus on. If you have kids, you probably have a job and it would be easier to pop in a movie to relax then go through all the technicalities pot brings.
  • blushn1980 Xinea 2011/08/25 01:36:48
    blushn1980
    I agree 100%
  • GregGar... Xinea 2011/08/25 02:20:16
    GregGarrett
    Smoking a joint once and a while has no more technicalities than drinking a few brews or some wine with dinner. If it is handled responsibly, what does it matter.
  • Xinea GregGar... 2011/08/25 02:37:04
    Xinea
    If being the key word, but I understand.
  • GregGar... Xinea 2011/08/25 02:44:53
    GregGarrett
    +2
    What you have to understand is the majority of pot smokers and drinkers are responsible about it, even those without kids. I will smoke a joint from time to time, or have a couple beers. But I don't do it every day, and most people I know are about the same. The problem is that people see the extreme cases of people that smoke and drink all the time and think that is the way all people who smoke or drink will end up.
  • Xinea GregGar... 2011/08/25 02:48:26
    Xinea
    +1
    I don't hang out with a lot of smokers - at least not when they're smoking so I wouldn't know. Those I do know aren't wrecks or anything so it's not like I'm completely hostile to the idea.
  • GregGar... Xinea 2011/08/25 02:52:35
    GregGarrett
    +1
    You probably know a lot more smokers than you think. I just think that pot should be treated just like alcohol, thus saving our government billions while making billions more in taxes. Keeping up this fight is just stupid and pointless. If the parent was abusing or neglecting the child because of pot (buying pot instead of getting food(although that would never happen, ever hear of munchies), or paying rent), then yes, step in and take the kid. Other than that, leave it alone is what I say.
  • Em See Xinea 2011/08/25 02:32:17
    Em See
    +1
    Doing pot in just 5 simple steps..

Roll it up.

Light it up.

Smoke.

A.

Weed.
  • Sheila Xinea 2011/08/25 19:31:49
    Sheila
    A movie is an hour and a half. A bong hit is 3 minutes......not too sure I am picking up what you are laying down?
  • harley oldman 2011/08/25 00:35:06
    harley oldman
    +1
    Wellll....... That explains why obuma got elected.....!
  • maggied45 2011/08/25 00:20:09
    maggied45
    +2
    I do not think it's any of the government's business. If drugs were affecting parents it would show up in the child's behavior in school and a teacher would report something that seemed like neglect.
  • SkittleE 2011/08/25 00:19:28
    SkittleE
    +3
    This isn't surprising. There are, unfortunately, a lot of people who say drugs are okay. They justify this by saying that it isn't as damaging as alcohol, but drugs ARE bad for you. And I'm sure someone is saying that just because something's bad for you doesn't mean you absolutely have to stay off, like with eating at fast food restaurants, but fat can be worked off. My uncle did a lot of drugs when he was younger and I think that I'm more mature then him right now, at the age of thirteen while he is forty-something. So what if it's just a little bit? It can become addicting and destroy your life. We especially shouldn't have PARENTS of all people doing these. Really, don't try to justify this, because it has a harmful effect on people around you and not just your own life.
  • blushn1980 SkittleE 2011/08/25 01:44:57
    blushn1980
    +2
    You have a good grasp on things. My parents are dope heads, especially my father. I was responsible for my 5 younger siblings and even helped pay bills since my "Dad" couldn't hold a job. Or he couldn't pass a drug screen.
  • SkittleE blushn1980 2011/08/25 01:48:37
    SkittleE
    +3
    I'm sorry, that is definitely not the best way to grow up. (No duh.) I'm really grateful that my parents don't smoke or drink, it's a rare blessing.
  • Tronlover2 2011/08/25 00:16:58
    Tronlover2
    +6
    How many of those polled were actually Mothers and not 14 year old teens?
  • Peter 2011/08/25 00:11:25
    Peter
    +3
    I think it is abuse
  • Em See Peter 2011/08/25 16:41:34
    Em See
    Yes, taking those kids from their guardian was certainly abusive.
  • KoolGuyL 2011/08/25 00:10:28
    KoolGuyL
    +4
    Majority of conservatives believe authorities should intervene, funny, they are always talking about how the government should leave people alone.
  • Skidplate 2011/08/25 00:09:04
    Skidplate
    +3
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that that woman had her children ripped from her like she was some hardened criminal over some weed! Am I surprised? No. We live in the most policed country that claims to be free.
  • EricHamby 2011/08/25 00:08:19
    EricHamby
    +2
    Smoking cigs should be more a issues than this.
  • Philanthropic Misanthrope 2011/08/24 23:43:15
    Philanthropic Misanthrope
    +2
    If you want say in my life that badly we have to start doing the nasty. And, sorry, I don't do police or politicians.
  • FatherLiberty 2011/08/24 23:38:07
    FatherLiberty
    +2
    This argument is long overdue to be removed from the political scene. Politics and the law has no business in regulating plants and what people consume. Everyday I feel like I live in some sort of Orwellian horror movie on opposite day. Americans talk about "Land of the Free" but it seems to me that most Americans literally HATE the concept of freedom and will ask to be enslaved.
  • Em See FatherL... 2011/08/25 16:42:52
    Em See
    I would be happy to let them be enslaved if the rest of us could opt out!
  • Anna E 2011/08/24 23:32:12
    Anna E
    +3
    Not surprised at all. It occurred to me quite a while ago that people are getting fed up with a big, invasive gov't ....... except when it comes to homosexuals, same-gender marriages, and religions other than Christianity.

Just sayin'.
  • Skidplate Anna E 2011/08/25 00:14:19
    Skidplate
    Awe come on, let's not start in on the Christians
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/08/24 23:30:51
    +6
    No, this doesn't surprise me.

What these results might not show effectively is this: the government has violated so much of the trust that conservatives once placed in it, that more of them, including me, are quite willing to stand down from any further enforcement efforts against "crimes without victims."
  • Stan Kapusta 2011/08/24 22:54:40
    Stan Kapusta
    +2
    This is America. Let people do what they want.
  • sexy_emo_chick ;P 2011/08/24 22:51:41
    sexy_emo_chick ;P
    Nope AWESOME GRAPHS!!!! lol
  • MisterD 2011/08/24 22:50:24
    MisterD
    +4
    yawn... this is interesting and points out a couple of the prevailing problems in our Republic.
  • mike j 2011/08/24 22:45:55
    mike j
    +23

2014/07/29 18:53:39