PUBLIC OPINION > Split Decision on Santorum

A week ago, it seemed like Rick Santorum was an afterthought in the Republican primary. Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich were duking it out while Ron Paul gained some interesting ground on Rick Perry, but Santorum? Who? The Iowa caucus changed all of that. Newt and Perry took a dive while Mitt Romney and... Santorum nearly tied. Again, Ron Paul made some interesting progress; Santorum made leaps and bounds.

But is this sudden Santorum talk justified? Is the Iowa caucus indictative of something real or is Santorum already history? We asked SodaHeads if they thought Santorum even stood a chance, and... Well, it's complicated.

Does Santorum Stand a Chance?

Split Decision on Rick Santorum

No consensus here. At the time of writing this, the results were one percent off, well within the margin of error. But it's still not as close a shave as the Iowa caucus. Eight votes! However, comments betrayed Santorum's support. Some felt he had a whimsical shot; others are just glad to see Romney in a tight spot. Romney's name still came up a lot -- he won, after all -- suggesting the chance Santorum is up for is a fat one. Maybe if something happens to Romney. The media is already suggesting Santorum will crumple under its scrutiny. We'll have to wait and see.

Santorum Loses Libertarians

Conservative voters were obviously the most expectant at 74%, but only 44% of libertarians thought Santorum had a chance. That might be the shadow of Ron Paul, an increasingly looming and nuanced figure in the race. Paul has some unique edges in the libertarian and moderate crowds, as well as the youth, though his odds appear slim.

Singles Skip Him

Age was a factor, but marriage was a better indicator of where that gap occurred. Single voters were 25% less likely to think Santorum has a chance than married voters, and those in an unmarried relationship weren't far behind. Age was a little spread out, but there were major breaks around 25 and 45.

Up With the Unemployed

In case you haven't noticed, employment is a big deal in this election. We couldn't ignore the 67% support from unemployed voters and 76% from the retired. Again, many of the "Yes" votes conceded that Romney was the biggest threat to Obama, but if a Romney sex scandal breaks, those aren't bad demographics to secure.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about Rick Santorum. We'd love to hear from you!

• U-Dog 2012/01/05 18:15:14
    U-Dog
    +8
    Santorum is a big government social NAZI who speaks half consistently about economic issues, he will sell well with many of the social conservatives but that is about it. Romney is nothing but an Obama-lite with an R on his lapel and the only people who will vote for him are the desperate diehard "anyone but Obama" types.

The more things change the more they continue to get worse... the demorat-rethugagain way.

Personally, I will be writing in Ron Paul if that is what it comes down to.
    ron paul jefferson

• Pat Pace 2012/01/05 20:04:02
    Pat Pace
    +4
    Santorum will get this country back on track. Obama has done all he could to destroy it and now he has violated his oath of office by bypassing Congress and doing what he wants wIthout consent. If Congress will not remove him then we the people must do so. November will not come soon enough. Just hope Obama does not keep on damaging our nation, but it looks like he is out to establish socialism as our type of government and possibly even Marxism. GOD HELP US TO ENDURE UNTIL WE CAN VOTE HIM OUT OF OFFICE AND WILL END THIS ERROR.
  • The San... Pat Pace 2012/01/05 20:35:54
    The Sane One
    +2
    Have you even looked at Santorum's voting record?????

Or are you trying to catch the Anybody But Obama bandwagon?
  • Apache The San... 2012/01/06 00:51:08
  • The San... Apache 2012/01/06 21:15:05
    The Sane One
    I wholeheartedly agree, as I too am a longstanding member of the GOP.
  • TaurusNYC Pat Pace 2012/01/05 21:00:32 (edited)
    TaurusNYC
    +2
    I guess you're entitled to your opinion. But when you say something factual, like our President has "violated his oath of office by bypassing Congress and doing what he wants wIthout consent," I assume you can explain how.

So start 'splainin...

(Added 13 days later): ...I didn't think so. BIG MOUTH, EMPTY HEAD.
  • denny 2012/01/05 19:49:06
    denny
    +2
    anyone but odumbo
  • Leslie 2012/01/05 19:31:48
    Leslie
    +3
    So Far Obama looks good. My Republican. party has not been able to field a viable candidate.
    I will vote for Barry he has done good on the terrorist front !
  • lizabeth 2012/01/05 19:23:42
    lizabeth
    +2
    I am from the state of Pennsylvania and have two things to say: First, as an Obama supporter, "Yippee!" Second, remember separation of church and state? There's a really good reason for that being part of our constitution, the Establishment Clause.
  • AnnMarie lizabeth 2012/01/05 19:56:07
    AnnMarie
    +2
    Funny how Republicans continually preach that "we need less government"....except in the bedroom.
  • raymond... lizabeth 2012/01/05 20:20:22
    raymond1277
    +2
    Separation of Church and State is not found in our Constitution. The First Amendment reads (known firstly as 'The Freedom of Religion' amendment): "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." This amendment simply prevents the creation of a centralized church that works in conjunction with the established government, mush like it was during the 18th century in England and much like it is today in Iran. The founding fathers found religion to be of such key importance to the moral fiber of a people that the freedom of such is listed FIRST before any other amendment in the Constitution. This right extends to every aspect of American life, including the government. Liberals such as yourself hold tightly to the first part of that amendment and disregard the second half: 'prohibiting the free excercise thereof'. No exceptions have been stated. No amendments have been passed limiting this. Know your Constitution, and you'll know know just how wrong the Democrats have been.
  • thє вlu... raymond... 2012/01/05 23:51:49
  • whiteco... raymond... 2012/01/06 00:43:06 (edited)
    whitecollar
    President James Madison ("Father of the Constitution" and principal author of the First Amendment):

"There is not a shadow of right in the general government to intermeddle with religion. Its least interference with it would be a most flagrant violation."

"Strongly guarded . . . is the separation between religion and government in the Constitution of the United States. . . ."

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

President Ulysses S. Grant:

"Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church and the private school supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate."
  • Mike III% whiteco... 2012/01/06 02:29:32 (edited)
    Mike III%
    +1
    So a president said it... This does not make it clause, law, or a part of the constitution -- to say it does is to bastardize the very document you're trying to hide behind.
  • raymond... whiteco... 2012/01/06 16:45:26
    raymond1277
    Once again, still proving my point, that the amendment prevents the government from being influenced, coerced, and governed in conjunction with any established church. Thats why there is no Church of America, unlike the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church, and of course Islam in most Muslim countries. No body of religion dictates how the government is run, but this does not prevent individual citizens from excercising their religious freedoms, even in office. Thats why the very nature of our moral laws are based on Judeo-Christian philosophy. Even the Ten Commandments is posted at almost all court houses, and why, even on our money is stamped in God We Trust. Freedom of religion is the very foundation of our freedoms and is to be respected everywhere in America. Thats why it is unconstitutional for even a public school to prevent someone from praying while in school.
  • Mike III% lizabeth 2012/01/06 02:28:21
    Mike III%
    Establishment Clause

Quote that from our CONSTITUTION or LAW please... I'm intrested in seeing this non-existant law.
  • Dave In Cali 2012/01/05 19:19:10
    Dave In Cali
    +1
    I think I would really like Santorum, if Steve Carell played him on SNL.
  • jtjustice 2012/01/05 18:47:16
    jtjustice
    +1
    Good man but another flash in the pan...Romney's real competition is himself
  • nana 2012/01/05 18:38:29
    nana
    I really don't think he will win the nomination...sad thing is none of the Rep running are outstanding our country is in a mess!!!
  • hasher nana 2012/01/05 22:24:31
    hasher
    +1
    i disagree. i think we have many good candidates. no one is going to be 100% what you want in a candidate. theres always going to be something you dont like about any of them. they are human and they have their strengths and weaknesses like anybody else. just go with the one who mostly represents your viewpoints.
  • nana hasher 2012/02/04 14:49:21
    nana
    You're probably right, considering this, I would have to support Romney
  • Marshal Artz 2012/01/05 18:26:06
    Marshal Artz
    +2
    I am a Democrat, so I would not vote for him anyway, but I don't think he has a chance to become President. When he has to start answering the tough questions on the important issues. He done good here in IA because all he talked about were Religious issues and he got the vote from the Bible Belt in and around Des Moines.
  • Radical 1s1am1st 2012/01/05 18:17:52
    Radical 1s1am1st
    +1
    I like it when The Santorum family had a still birth so Rick and wife bought home the dead baby and passed it around to each of his children so they each could sing Psalms to it.
    Nothing weird or creepy about that, perfectly normal. But Romney and his Mormon hitman are going to bring all this to light in negative advertisement in New Hampshire.

Romney does nothing without the elders of his church approval, nothing. You might as well elect Tom Cruise into the White House and let the Scientology people run the country. Please Google the Mormon religion to see the type of control the church exercises over their flock. Or just Google the Prop. 8 fight in California to see how the Mormon church ran a bunch of negative ads against the initiative, but not openly, covertly.
    If a Church is this politically active than they should lose their tax exempt status, that goes for all of them that violates the separation of church and state.
  • thє вlu... Radical... 2012/01/05 23:57:03
  • U-Dog 2012/01/05 18:15:14
    U-Dog
    +8

ron paul jefferson
  • raymond... U-Dog 2012/01/05 20:23:32
    raymond1277
    +2
    A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama. There is no way Ron Paul will win the GOP nomination and writing in his name will simply take votes away from the Reuplican nominee. dont be selfish. I get that you are disappointed in the current selection. I understand comepletely. But defeating Obama and ousting him out of office should be your...OUR...number one priority! Voting for Ron Paul will simply split the party. Think about your vote and what it might cost our country.
  • U-Dog raymond... 2012/01/05 21:01:18 (edited)
    U-Dog
    +5
    I'm past giving a rats azz about lesser evils and replacing one crook with another anymore, what the rethugs want to present to the American people is another crony business as usual corporatist insider and if that's the case then I would rather see the country go broke sooner than later so we can finally fix the damn thing and take back our social and economic liberties once and for all.

The demorat-rethugagain welfare/warfare crony-cap fiat system is nothing but a rigged game where both of these big government party's are trading favors in the backroom and selling this nation down the road to serfdom for their own greedy power hungry purposes... So please don't talk to me about my being short sighted or selfish.
  • Grizzle raymond... 2012/01/06 02:18:28
    Grizzle
    When Ron Paul wins the Republican nomination and Donald Trump runs as an Independent what will you do?
  • hasher U-Dog 2012/01/05 22:26:03
    hasher
    +3
    i dont think so give me proof about what youre accusing him of.
  • U-Dog hasher 2012/01/05 23:07:16 (edited)
    U-Dog
    +3
    Satorum, just like Obama, Romney and Newt love big government social and economic controls, it is no big secret. They all support to varying degrees a huge welfare system, a largely unnecessary military machine and the bureaucracy that goes with it. None of them has shown the slightest objection whatsoever to the idea of the police spying on private citizens or the president having the power to pluck private American citizens from the street at will and confine them indefinitely without proper due process.

That is just the tip of the iceberg but it is all right in front of your face if you just open your eyes and your mind.

www.mises.org
    www.reason.com
    www.theblaze.com
  • Apache U-Dog 2012/01/06 02:01:07
  • U-Dog Apache 2012/01/06 02:08:20
    U-Dog
    +1
    Not so far as I can tell and I don't believe in reincarnation either but...
  • ETWolverine 2012/01/05 18:15:13
    ETWolverine
    +2
    Why is the question "Does Santorum Stand a Chance?"

Why is it not "Do you support Rick Santorum?" or "Do you agree politically with Rick Santorum?"

Seems like a silly question to me... one designed to automatically turn the poll AGAINST the candidate. When you ask if a candidate actually stands a chance, it is usually because you (or those around you) have already assumed that the candidate does NOT stand a chance. That leads to an automatically biased poll, in my opinion.
  • The Patriot RP 2012 2012/01/05 18:14:52
    The Patriot RP 2012
    +2
    Santorum is to busy worrying about what happens in people's bedrooms, check this out.

One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country. The whole sexual libertine idea that many in the Christian faith have said, "well that's OK. i mean, you know, contraception is OK." It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to to be within marriage. It’s supposed to be for purposes that are yes, conjuga but also immunative but also procreative. That’s the perfect way that a sexual union should happen. When we take any part of that out, we diminish the act. If you can take one part out, when it's not for purposes of procreation, that's not one of the reasons, then you diminish this very special bond between men and women. So why can't you take other parts of it out? And all of a sudden it becomes deconstructed to the point where it's simply pleasure. And that's certainly a part of it, and it's an important part of it, don't get me wrong. But there are a lot of things we do for pleasure. And this is special and it needs to be seen as special. And, again, I know most presidents don't talk about those things. And maybe p...

One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country. The whole sexual libertine idea that many in the Christian faith have said, "well that's OK. i mean, you know, contraception is OK." It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to to be within marriage. It’s supposed to be for purposes that are yes, conjuga but also immunative but also procreative. That’s the perfect way that a sexual union should happen. When we take any part of that out, we diminish the act. If you can take one part out, when it's not for purposes of procreation, that's not one of the reasons, then you diminish this very special bond between men and women. So why can't you take other parts of it out? And all of a sudden it becomes deconstructed to the point where it's simply pleasure. And that's certainly a part of it, and it's an important part of it, don't get me wrong. But there are a lot of things we do for pleasure. And this is special and it needs to be seen as special. And, again, I know most presidents don't talk about those things. And maybe people don't want us to talk about those things. But I think it's important that you are who you are. I'm not running for preacher, I'm not running for pastor. But these are important public policy issues.

funny santorum pics
  • Z 2012/01/05 18:13:28
    Z
    +5
    He would arrest abortion doctors, ban contraception and arrest likely homosexuals if he could. I like some of his economic policy, but the guy is a fascist. And that is from a very pro-life person.
  • FatherL... Z 2012/01/05 18:25:05
    FatherLiberty
    +1
    "I like some of his economic policy, but the guy is a fascist." So, what part of fascism do you like?
  • Z FatherL... 2012/01/05 18:44:09
    Z
    None of it, but his economic policies are not where heis fascisim comes in.
  • Kevin 2012/01/05 18:02:08
    Kevin
    +3
    Too narrow minded for me.
  • Dickens 2012/01/05 17:51:41
    Dickens
    +6
    ..he is definitely NOT the republican candidate for whom I would vote; at least obama isn't going to tell people what type of birth control they're allowed to use...santorum is far too interested in intruding upon and controlling peoples' family lives and their private lives...
  • wtf Dickens 2012/01/05 19:27:11
    wtf
    +2
    Obama wants to control everything else including what foods you can eat.
  • AnnMarie wtf 2012/01/05 19:59:27
    AnnMarie
    How so?

2014/10/25 09:37:54