PUBLIC OPINION > 'Slutty Wednesday' Was Inappropriate

Students at New York City's Stuyvesant High School have been protesting the school's dress code in an interesting way lately, by setting aside a single day and refusing to follow the code. They called the revolt "Slutty Wednesday." It doesn't necessarily mean the students tried to dress like "sluts" -- in fact, photos suggest it was pretty tame -- but the message was clear. We asked the public if it was appropriate.

Though the majority decided Slutty Wednesday was inappropriate, a good deal of respondents stood up for the students. Many of them argued that the outfits pictured in the photographs were not "slutty," and the name was clearly just a device used to make a point. However, more had a problem with kids trying to push in that direction when they could be fighting, say, that soft drink ban.

Teens Toy With the Idea

As you might expect, teens were much more likely to go for the idea. Teens came up with it, after all. But it was still split, which means there are probably a lot of students at Stuyvesant who aren't onboard with Slutty Wednesday. As respondents got older, their support steadily dropped. Likewise, parents were one of the least supportive demographics.

Females Fight It

The pictures mostly show girls walking the Stuyvesant halls, but results suggest girls are quite a bit more resistent. This is almost certainly due to the word "slutty," which can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Some girls will obviously be offended by the word, while others might use it more as a metaphor or symbol. More often than not, it's taken as offensive.

Looks Good to Liberals

The political correlation was expected, but we didn't think it would be the most divisive demographic. There are definitely parallels here to feminist and liberal movements, such as Rock The Slut Vote. So, even though it's a dress code issue, Slutty Wednesday is more likely to appeal to those who sympathize with reactionary women's rights movements.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Slutty Wednesday. We'd love to hear from you!

• D Hanes 2012/06/15 02:23:59 (edited)
    D Hanes
    +2
    and this is college.. this is where parents save all their lives to send their little darlings. Slutty, I don't know but stupid, yes.

I say if they want to dress like sluts, let them.. but when they get accosted and raped and defiled.. don't expect the public payed police to look after you.
  • Phantom... D Hanes 2012/06/15 02:47:50
  • The Inc... Phantom... 2012/06/15 05:20:25
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +1
    Using swear words to demonstrate a point? I believe it's you who needs to grow up.
    Let the woman have her own opinion, you have ^NO right to judge. Time to stop being ignorant of the world, Eh?
  • Phantom... The Inc... 2012/06/15 16:15:26
    PhantomDream
    +5
    I don't need to use swear words to demonstrate a point, but I did, because that woman up there is what holds us back as women. Asking for it is the stupidest justification for rape, and as a female, I'm sick of it. My sexual history or wardrobe choices have nothing to do with wanting to be raped. Haven't you ever heard the song?'Was she asking for it? Did she ask you nice? If she was asking for it... did she ask you twice?' God. I'm more grown up than someone who thinks that a girl deserves to be raped if she wears a mini skirt or a tube top.
  • D Hanes Phantom... 2012/07/04 15:16:08
    D Hanes
    Dress how you want.. I'm just saying.. maybe use a little commons sense.. there are crazy people out theree!
  • D Hanes The Inc... 2012/07/04 15:15:10
    D Hanes
    Thank you!
  • D Hanes Phantom... 2012/07/04 15:14:55
    D Hanes
    My, My... such language.. did that make you feel better. I'm sayng.. this is a dangerous world, lots of nuts out there.. why tempt fate by dressing and acting like a slut if you are not one. Things bad can happen!
  • Dee D Hanes 2012/06/15 04:22:07
    Dee
    +7
    So they're asking for it if they dress that way?! And that from a woman?!
    FOR SHAME...

Maybe ppl should worry about what those kids are learning, rather than wearing :S
  • The Inc... Dee 2012/06/15 05:21:39
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +2
    Nothing shameful about being a woman and having that opinion.
  • Dee The Inc... 2012/06/15 08:35:06
    Dee
    +5
    I actually think it is shameful. VERY SHAMEFUL.
    You defend her and tell us we do not have the right to judge.
    Never said I did, and usually try not to, but hell, not this time.

According to you two, if a HIGHSCHOOL GIRL dresses provocatively - she is asking and deserving to get raped. WTH?!

Are you honestly that jealous of girls that are actually being what they're supposed to be - teenagers?
    Then scrape up some courage to dress that way, in stead of hating those that do, perhaps you'll stop being petty and hating ppl, and might be a little bit happier.
  • Rdtourist Dee 2012/06/15 14:00:22
    Rdtourist
    Isn't that the peace loving Muslim Sharia way?
  • Dee Rdtourist 2012/06/18 04:32:54
    Dee
    Wouldn't know oO
  • Kibbles Dee 2012/06/15 14:19:10
    Kibbles
    Not hating here but this isn't about self expression, its teenagers wanting to show the goods. Also these clothes aren't welded to their skin for the day, they can change into whatever attire they wish when they get home.
  • Dee Kibbles 2012/06/18 04:34:06
    Dee
    I think that comes from home, that's smth parents need to teach their kids, and if they failed, well, you cannot ask for someone else to pick up the slack and raise another's children.
  • Kibbles Dee 2012/06/18 07:17:14
    Kibbles
    this sin't like that though, this is the school requiring the students to look respectable. The dress code isn't even that bad, its standard actually. The school isn't trying to pick up the slack, they're just expecting the students to look respectable in school, besides would you go to a job wearing a tank top and shorts.
  • Dee Kibbles 2012/06/19 06:04:45 (edited)
    Dee
    My parents would've kicked my ass if I went to school naked and I still claim that that is smth you learn at home, same as being polite, respectful, caring of others, etc.
    And a good spanking is not smth I consider child molestation.

As for dress code, I have nothing against it, I am actually pro uniform, but for completely other reasons (status differences).

But if someone's kid came to school naked, chances are he/she will be naked everywhere except school (due to dress code), and that's the parents' fail...

If it's merely quirky and different, I see no reason for making a fuss. Hell, my high-school friends were punks with crests, I had cherry red hair, a friend of mine had black hair with navy blue shine, and so on and on...
    And yet, we were all A and B students in the toughest school in the district and we all became hard working people...

Kids need to express themselves and all teenagers go through that rebellious stage, and that's what "Slutty Wed" is.
    The kids look decent, it's the name that got to all of you, just as it was meant to ^^
  • The Inc... Dee 2012/06/15 18:40:12
    The Incurable Pessimist
    Nobody said that teenagers have to dress provocatively. They are using their clothes for vain and shallow intentions which I despise.
    I don't mind wearing a pair of shorts on a summer day, which I do, but why heels and overbearing tank tops and loads of makeup? It's disgusting.
    So in western culture, it is justified to be a slut.
    Since they are in school (an institution for LEARNING), I don't think you should be supporting their outrageous antics.
    There is also the recurring "joke" that "f---" school, I'll become a stripper. It's quite terrible that society's standards have fallen so low and people actually support this dilemma.
  • Dee The Inc... 2012/06/18 03:35:59
    Dee
    I am not supporting it. I never even made a reference as to the way they dress.
    I was referring to the rape part.

I do not see high heels on that photo, nor a tone of make up. You guys simply made the topic into smth else.

Also, as far as the txt is concerned, the event is called 'Slutty Wed" but every1 seems to be dressed quirky but not slutty. None of them seem to have make up on, AT ALL, no cleavage.. So what's your problem then?!
  • The Inc... Dee 2012/06/19 16:17:29
    The Incurable Pessimist
    Pish posh, I see 3 girls with cleavage. Maybe if you were actually there at the event, I would be apt to believe you. A quick snapshot of 5 girls doesn't support your claims.
  • Dee The Inc... 2012/06/20 03:44:44
    Dee
    Pish posh, jealous much? :))
    Umm, pls don't get into teaching or smth similar. I beg you.

It's a hot summer day, we'll be going to the beach, I better go tell my niece to cover up and wear a burqa. Oh, that's right, I don't believe in that crap.

Peace out

P.S. That is not cleavage and those are not boobs hun :)
  • D Hanes Dee 2012/07/04 15:16:52
    D Hanes
    Of course the woman isn't asking for it, but some nut case might think she is. Why ask for trouble just use a little common sense!
  • twocrows D Hanes 2012/06/15 05:18:39
    twocrows
    +4
    ummmmmmm - - - did you read the article? can you read?
    this was a high school. jfwiw.

and you're in favor of women being raped if you don't approve of the way they dress.
    interesting point of view . . . .
  • gunner D Hanes 2012/06/15 12:46:39
    gunner
    WOW ! look what you started in the comments . If I understand you correctly, the girls dressing inapropriately may well entice an attacker. In that , I can agree. To often we hear of a kid being kidnapped and late found dead and of course molested. Common sense dress codes are just fine.
  • jimrthy... D Hanes 2012/06/16 17:30:20
    jimrthy BN-0
    +2
    I'm familiar with the details of one rape case.

She was wearing overalls. You'd have to be a real prude to blame her outfit. He was a friend from work who had asked her out dancing. It seemed perfectly safe and innocent until he walked her to her car.

At the hospital, the cops bullied her. Tried to get her to confess that it had really been her husband. They finally made her so mad that she just gave up and quit talking to them. *Nobody* should "expect the public payed (sic) police to look after" them. They are no longer here to help or protect us.

She saw him on the news a few months later, heading for prison. Apparently his latest victim hadn't survived.

Implying that young women who push the boundaries of a dress code deserve that is just flat-out monstrous.

The idea that males are barely leashed animals who are in danger of losing control if we see too much bare skin is also incredibly insulting. Yes, there are monsters out there. No, they don't much care what you're wearing.
  • jimrthy... D Hanes 2012/06/16 22:13:30
    jimrthy BN-0

Implying that young women who push the boundaries of a dress code deserve that is just flat-out monstrous. Especially when they really weren't wearing anything inappropriate (assuming the picture goes along with the article).

• spencerc143 2012/06/15 02:22:37
    spencerc143
    +3
    I think everyone has the right to wear what they want.
  • D Hanes spencer... 2012/06/15 02:25:57
    D Hanes
    Within reason.. have you seen people like Rheanna? she dresses slutty most of the time. and many girls will emulate her.. that is just asking for trouble. Maybe uniforms were not such a bad idea.. at least everyone looked the same.. and not one looked like a slut!
  • Sweetness 2012/06/15 01:37:52
    Sweetness
    +3
    If give someone an inch they want a mile... They should all just wear uniforms..
  • tina wi... Sweetness 2012/06/15 03:11:08
    tina williams
    +1
    THis is true as well, they will take it from casual to slutty in a matter of weeks pushing the limits
  • Rdtourist tina wi... 2012/06/15 14:03:15
    Rdtourist
    Casual these days comes amazingly lose to requiring a bush trim, have you been to a mall or teen gathering lately? Boys just grunge and conservative compared to the as little as you can find to cover most parts style favored by most non-Goth girls..
  • Iefan Muineachán 2012/06/15 01:34:33
    Iefan Muineachán
    +3
    Women should be allowed whatever they want, conservative or 'slutty'...especially at a government-run school.
  • D Hanes Iefan M... 2012/06/15 02:26:35
    D Hanes
    I disagree... wear what you want at a private school.. my rax dollars are not going to pay for you to come looking like a slut.
  • Iefan M... D Hanes 2012/06/15 02:36:36
    Iefan Muineachán
    +4
    Private schools usually force you to wear a uniform within the bounds of legal business. Public schools have no right to prevent you from wearing Daisy Dukes, unless the local law says they violate public decency. What the hell is a 'rax' dollar anyway? I'm assuming you meant tax dollars, IN WHICH CASE you are NOT paying for their clothes. Their mums pay for their clothes. Conservatives like you ruin the world and hamper free expression. I found out that you are a woman. You should be ashamed of yourself for crucifying yourself as a holy sacrifice to the patriarchy.
  • The Inc... Iefan M... 2012/06/15 05:25:50
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +2
    I intensely dislike when people bring someone's political preference into an irrelevant discussion to judge or pit down their views.
    In case your head was so far up your tush, this is an OPINION site where people will have different opinions. If you don't agree, keep your mouth shut.
  • JCLadybug Iefan M... 2012/06/15 05:39:04
    JCLadybug
    +1
    Males, like you, should not tell women how to think (or imply they are betraying their sex) due to their views. I find it laughable (and sexist) that some people think all women should be democrat/liberal/etc.
  • houston... JCLadybug 2012/06/15 17:26:17
    houstonrahoyt
    But as a male, he's not allowed to have an opinion - this is an OPINION site, but only not for him?
  • JCLadybug houston... 2012/06/15 18:19:37
    JCLadybug
    Sure he can have an opinion. I was only pointing out that said opinion is sexist (despite his implication that liberals are on the side of women). That fact that he is male is more of an irony point than anything else. He brought up the issue of a person's sex first, making it a relevant point. While it would still have been on my radar given the issue, I doubt I would have cared to look up his sex if he hadn't brought it to my attention in the first place. That said, a person's sex brings and interesting dichotomy to this discussion. In this case, he pointed out that this woman "should be ashamed of herself" partially b/c she is conservative. I find this interesting b/c it brings back former ideas that women should always follow their husband's rule/direction/etc., and not have an opinion for themselves...or at least not voice it. But this is directed solely at conservative women. So are conservative women not afforded the same rights/respect/etc b/c of their opinion? In which case, women are still not allowed to have their own opinion, the parameters have only changed.

I don't think this is true for all men and women and both sexes are equally guilty of this. This is the minority, but I have heard it enough times from both men and women that I like to question their stance and how it effects the women they claim to be trying to help.
  • Iefan M... JCLadybug 2012/06/16 17:46:32
    Iefan Muineachán
    I'm a libertarian. Screw you.
    Besides that, it would be betraying blacks to call for slavery, especially if one is black.
    Your argument is unfairly biased.
    Besides that, I am not TELLING women how to think. I am ADVOCATING that women have the CHOICE of what they want to wear, think, eat, who to date/marry, &c.
    I don't mind if you go out in a Saudi-style HIJAB. As long as you want to wear it so be it.
  • JCLadybug Iefan M... 2012/06/16 22:15:01
    JCLadybug
    I don't care what you are...the implication was there. Fine you are "advocating" woman by telling them to be ashamed for going against their sex.....which is sexist either way. Advocating (or silencing) the opinion of conservative women is sexist...no matter how you paint it.

There is a big difference b/t your claim about racism and women's rights. For one this topic was not on women, it was about a dress code that was applied to male and females. Secondly, most jobs have a dress code/uniform for men and women to follow. By all means, wear what you want when you aren't in school or at the office, but otherwise follow the rules.
  • tina wi... D Hanes 2012/06/15 03:13:16
    tina williams
    agree I have to daughters and had hoped years ago they would have gone to uniforms. I have known kids to have to leave before the homeroom bell rings anyway due to clothes outside the code. In public school, but still would have been so much easier. My oldest went to a christian school for a while and they had uniforms. Did not have to worry about lude comments about their breast or behinds.

2014/10/31 15:08:33