Public Opinion Says Punishing Kids With Hot Sauce Is Child Abuse [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2011/08/25 22:00:00
Earlier this week we showed SodaHeads a video clip of Jessica Beagley, a 36-year-old Anchorage woman, forcing her 8-year-old child to keep hot sauce in his mouth and take cold showers as punishment for behavioral problems at school.

The video is from a November episode of "Dr. Phil," so you may have seen it before, but Beagley was just recently charged with misdemeanor child abuse because of her actions.

Here's an except from the original "Hot Sauce Mom" story:

She could get up to a year in prison along with her $10,000 fine, and The Anchorage Daily News reports it only took the jury one day to decide she was guilty.

Henry Paul, a Mount Sinai psychiatrist, told ABC News, "The stun -- the shock -- the acute anxiety can also lead to [a] long-term type of post-traumatic stress disorder that we often see in criminals who are incarcerated.

Most SodaHeads thought the hot sauce treatment was way out of line, but there are always dissenters. So it's time to take a deeper look into the demographics behind our results and see who they were.

Let's dive.

incarcerated sodaheads hot sauce treatment line dissenters deeper demographics dive

• Soundstorm masatone 2011/08/26 08:22:54 (edited)
    Soundstorm
    +1
    I've run into your pack of tall tales a dozen times before. I'm not buying. Keep it up and I'll flag you for spamming.
  • masatone Soundstorm 2011/08/26 08:25:11
    masatone
    Oh my god i'm so scared watch this. And thanks for telling me.
  • Soundstorm masatone 2011/08/26 08:27:51
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Are you done? You need to spread your message elsewhere.
  • Brad Fu... Soundstorm 2011/08/26 12:54:08
    Brad Fulton
    +2
    Why is it that dickwipes like that guy usually choose to remain "anonymous"??? Balls of steel, eh??
  • Soundstorm Brad Fu... 2011/08/26 20:04:52
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Because THEYYYYYY want to silence him so that you won't learn the TRUTH!

'They', being his family and workplace.
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    What are you implying with the drinking and money statistic?
  • Brad Fu... Algor. ... 2011/08/26 12:55:05
    Brad Fulton
    +1
    Drunken rich people suck?
  • Algor. ... Brad Fu... 2011/08/26 16:46:03
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    According to these statistics, drunk poor people suck
  • Suzzie aguzey 2011/08/26 07:12:04
  • foxfifi 2011/08/26 07:03:09
    foxfifi
    +1
    i think it's going to far.Maybe the girl really do the wrong thing.The mother should punish her child in another way.I wouldn't be a mother if i go to the prison cause of punish my own child.there is a new problem who to take care of the child when her mother is in prison.
  • Mel 2011/08/26 06:55:47
    Mel
    +1
    it's very excessive. not to mention dangerous to the physical health of a child.
  • kirri 2011/08/26 06:45:41
    kirri
    My Mom did it to me as well as dish soap, I dont feel like its abuse, does it hurt that much more than a spank?
  • Suzzie aguzey 2011/08/26 06:33:34
  • chaoskitty123 2011/08/26 06:15:00
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    It really depends on how the poll is handled and the reality of the circumstances.

Take the issue of child sexual abuse. Even today, many if nor most adults would say that a woman molesting a child is not as bad as a man molesting a child because they always assume that a man would molest a girl with sexual intercourse. However, if you remove sexual intercourse, we still view a man molesting a child as worse than when a woman does it because we have always viewed it as a growing experience for boys and tragedy when it's girls. However, factor in sexually transmitted diseases and we really must set gender aside because AIDS and other diseases passed on through sex can kill our children so that pregnancy is sometimes the least of worries where our children are involved. As I have also addressed to others, we send a message to boys that it's ok to have sex with an older girl or woman but not ok to have a relationship... and we wonder why so many men have problems with commitment.

That's not to say that boys are more important or anything as all children suffer where child molestation is concerned, but until the mid to late 1980's in this country, most would laugh if you said a boy was a victim of child molestation if he had sex with an older girl or woman... then today, you hav...

That's not to say that boys are more important or anything as all children suffer where child molestation is concerned, but until the mid to late 1980's in this country, most would laugh if you said a boy was a victim of child molestation if he had sex with an older girl or woman... then today, you have celebrities like Justin Bieber involved with adult women and people think it's normal when he wasn't even 16 at the time. It's very clear the old bias's still exist as many Bieber fans said there was nothing wrong with this and he wasn't being harmed.

Men may view a hot sauce punishment as better than pulling off a belt and in the end, the child isn't harmed because they could have the same thing happen at suppertime by grabbing the bottle of hot sauce and doing it to themselves. Frankly, that's the view I have as the only real difference is that a child is given hot sauce as a joke or they use it themselves... result is just the same. Women may look at it as abuse because it's done as a punishment that hurts the child and that it's an unusual thing to do rather than a normal form of punishment.

My mother made me smoke a carton of cigarettes when she caught me smoking with a couple of friends as she was addicted to the things, my father died from lung cancer because of it and she herself eventually died undergoing treatment for lung cancer... you would think this a cruel thing to do and yet, I haven't smoked since because i almost turned green from smoking that carton of cigarettes and to date, I have been cancer free where both of may parents had more than once battle with cancer. If one day I should marry and have a child who I catch smoking... I will do this to them and hope the same thing happens.

Be honest, you would likely condemn my mother for child abuse for what she did making me smoke a carton of cigarettes and yet, it broke me of smoking because if you think one ciggie tastes nasty... smoke a carton of them back to back as it leaves this god awful nasty taste in your mouth that never seems to go away and you will get sick as a dog.

So who is to say this is wrong... unusual maybe but the worst that may ultimately happen is the kid will grow to hate hot sauce or develop a taste for it over time. It's simply an unusual form of punishment which we should ask ourselves how effective it is and how harmful it is. Frankly, this to me does not look harmful since if you have hot sauce in the house, there's always a chance the child will try it out and if you use it in your food... they're going to get a mouthful anyway and we wouldn't call that abuse would we.
  • Eric S. 2011/08/26 06:08:21
    Eric S.
    It's because of not following the teachings of the old days, like discipline and caning right from the children's very young age, plus using the right methods we know today, like adding the showing of love and care which is very important - that now the parents got confused, not knowing what methods to use, so this 'hot sauce' method was used. Who's to blame?

By not following the old days methods, we're only letting some of the children to be more bold to do what they like - even if it offends the parents, teachers and everyone else.

In this 'hot sauce' case, it is because the mother can't think of any better way since she never tried the old method before.
  • The_Machine 2011/08/26 05:48:17
    The_Machine
    +1
    I would rather have hot sause than soap! Hell people eat hot sause all the time. No video taping to get on a tv show is a different story!
  • Foothill 2011/08/26 05:38:18
    Foothill
    +3
    This country is becoming a a bunch of panzies. Once all your freedoms are gone and you can't figure out why, you can simply look at the reason in the mirror!
  • S T 2011/08/26 05:35:40
    S T
    This criminal punishment can screw up a kid in the head and ruin their thoughts for a lifetime! Just talk to your kids! I'm 100000000% against this barbaric, archaic child abuse. Just sayin'.
  • alex S T 2011/08/26 06:07:44
    alex
    I wouldnt go so far to say its barbaric. Tellling from the video, she doesnt make him swallow it. Which would definatly be barbaric if she did, though, because that can cause some serious stomach issues in the future!
  • chaoski... S T 2011/08/26 06:21:52
    chaoskitty123
    My mother made me smoke a carton of cigarettes back to back after she caught me smoking with a friend... both my parents died from cancer caused by cigarettes and because of what she did, I never picked up the habit of those nasty things because if I want something that nasty I'll just go suck on the bottom of my shoes or something. But today, if these people heard about my mother doing this, they would bring her up on charges of child abuse and threaten to send her to prison.

There are far worse ways to punish a child as if you have hot sauce in your house, they might try it for themselves or you might put that on your food at supper time (what hot sauce is meant for) and they get an even greater exposure eating the food with the hot sauce on it already.

So if this is child abuse, then cooking food you put the hot sauce on is also child abuse if you give it to your child to eat right?

I'm not chastizing you or putting you down for your view... I'm just asking you to think for a moment as I don't know of a single brand of hot sauce that is created to punish your children with, it's all made to go on the food you might feed to your child.
  • Brad Fu... chaoski... 2011/08/26 13:01:23
    Brad Fulton
    You're gonna try to tell me you smoked 200 straight cigarettes??? At 5 minutes per cigarette, that would be smoking for 16 hours, 40 minutes continuously. You lie like a ruckin fug, Chaoski.
  • SillyLegs 2011/08/26 05:29:56
    SillyLegs
    Everything is child abuse now. The government won't let anyone parent their own flesh and blood. That's what I find to be strange and slightly sickening, not giving kids hot food to make them stop backtalking...
  • zgnehm 2011/08/26 05:18:30
    zgnehm
    +1
    I actually liked hot sauce when I was little, it was the SOAP that was disgusting.
  • YouSirName 2011/08/26 05:10:37
    YouSirName
    So higher income males think this is OK?

How can anyone think that inflicting pain on a child is OK? Punishment does not have to involve physical pain to be effective. This is well-established.
  • Jonathan Wiederaenders 2011/08/26 05:07:59
    Jonathan Wiederaenders
    Sounds like old school punishment to me but as far as child abuse unless she is really taking it to the extreme to were it is actually causing physical damage such as blisters then no it's nowhere close to abuse.
  • dana 2011/08/26 05:05:24
    dana
    i think it is inventive i mean seriously sin and feel the fire i think i heard that somewhere
  • Sheila 2011/08/26 05:04:18
    Sheila
    +1
    I think the operative word is KEEP hot sauce in his mouth. I think that is abuse. That being said, I used to live in an apartment that had waterbugs. At the time my daughter was of the age that everything she found went in her mouth. The landlord would spray the basement, and the waterbugs would flee to our apartment and die. I was constantly afraid of her picking up one of these creatures, so her dad put pieces of bread that had been soaked with hot sauce on the floor. It didn't take long to break her of the habit of putting just anything in her mouth!
  • jimrthy... Sheila 2011/08/26 16:34:14
    jimrthy BN-0
    Almost totally unrelated, but that reminded me of last Thursday:

I was hanging out with some people I know. One of them got a call (from her daughter, I think). The caller's daughter had been sucking on a mothball and swallowed a chunk of it.

Everyone jumped in, yelling at her to call poison control, but she didn't bother to pass the advice on. They talked about driving the kid to the hospital, then hung up.

About an hour later, she got another frantic call. The mom had apparently decided that it wasn't worth worrying about. Then the kid started having problems breathing, and they were now on the way to the hospital in an ambulance, with the paramedics apparently trying all kinds of crazy stuff to keep her alive. I still don't know whether she survived.
  • Sheila jimrthy... 2011/08/27 17:45:48
    Sheila
    When my daughter was a toddler, I had to place TWO calls to Poison Control in the same day. As I stated before, she was at the stage of putting everything in her mouth. She managed to find a mouse poison package that had gotten shoved between the stove and cabinet. The second involved the diaper pail next to her potty chair. In those days, diaper pails used a scent cake in the lid, much like urinals do. While sitting on her potty chair, she grabbed the top off the diaper pail and started pounding it on the chair's tray, causing little pieces of the scent cake to fragment and fall out. Into the mouth they went.
  • jimrthy... Sheila 2011/08/31 21:21:08
    jimrthy BN-0
    Wow! What a day. I'm glad she survived.

I found out last night that this kid's fine.
  • Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2011/08/26 05:00:11
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Where is becomes abuse is determined on how it is done. It's one thing to make the kid eat it, where they would swallow a table spoon or something. It's another thing to let it sit in their mouths for X amount of time or making them drink an entire bottle, which would surely hurt.
  • JohnnyRudick 2011/08/26 04:52:03
    JohnnyRudick
    +1
    Yes it is, and it is Hot Sauce abuse as well.
  • Brad Fu... JohnnyR... 2011/09/01 21:36:02
    Brad Fulton
    If she only had paired it with some of those DELICIOUS chile rellenos everything would have been "beer & skittles"
  • katie 2011/08/26 04:50:03
    katie
    the cold shower thing, i dont find abuse, only because i've always loved cold showers, it would be abuse if it was warm!
  • FPSRules 2011/08/26 04:43:03 (edited)
    FPSRules
    +2
    I wish I had thought of such an innovative way to curb a misbehaving child when I raised my six children. Fortunately, in order to keep one of my sons from running into the street I was able to give him a spanking. He found that so distasteful, he remembered not to run into the road again. When he was old enough to understand, he spontaneously thanked me for loving him enough to correct him.

Children will recover from a little hot sauce on the tongue and unless they really enjoy the discomfort, it should help curb their obnoxious behavior.
  • jimrthy... FPSRules 2011/08/26 16:28:27
    jimrthy BN-0
    There *is* a matter of degree.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video. Supposedly, this was an entire mouthful of hot sauce that she basically forced the kid to gargle. Then shoved him into an ice-cold shower (in Alaska). *Then* she made him do the jumping jacks.

All while screaming horrific insults.

I don't know how true that version is. But it sounds a lot closer to at least emotional abuse than a gentle loving correction.
  • FPSRules jimrthy... 2011/08/27 01:25:46
    FPSRules
    +2
    Point taken.
    As you say, 'if' the story is accurately reported, you make a valid point.
    There certainly are 'degrees'.
    My wife and I raised six children and I can honestly report there were times when the things they did wrong seemed worthy of 'caning'.
    I can say that if a parent loves their child unconditionally, then it is incumbent upon those parents to raise their child to be an upright citizen and not a menace to society.
  • Gregaj7 2011/08/26 04:35:10 (edited)
    +1
    And "public-opinion" is how we "rule" things now, isn't it?!?
    FYI: Mr. McGraw has publicly stated his distaste for 'corporal' punishment (spare the "rod").
  • turnright 2011/08/26 04:28:10
    turnright
    +3
    That cow should be in jail.
  • jimrthy... turnright 2011/08/26 16:24:04
    jimrthy BN-0
    I'm pretty sure she is.

2014/10/01 06:09:54