Public Opinion Says Apple Will Be OK Without Steve Jobs [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2011/08/29 23:00:00
Last week we asked SodaHeads if they thought Apple would be able to stay on top of the competition after co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs announced his resignation on Wednesday.

We weren't at all surprised to find that most people, no matter how we broke it down, think Apple has many more years of delicious innovations ahead of it, but the groups who were least enthusiastic about a Jobs-less Apple did surprise us.

Who would you expect to have more faith in Mac: Kids or adults? IT workers or the healthcare industry? Full-time employees or the retired?

Don't worry, you won't have to wade through a dry report with lists of rote statistics to get to the core of this apple. We've laid out the most interesting statistics in an easy-to-read infographic for your viewing pleasure, and hope you find the information as engaging as we do.

Enough talk. Let's dive.

statistics easy-to-read infographic viewing pleasure hope information engaging talk dive

• Chris D 2011/08/30 00:34:01 (edited)
    Chris D
    +8
    A look at Steve Jobs' post retirement schedule...Click to view - it's worth it trust me!

• Chris Simmons 2011/10/23 01:42:25
    Chris Simmons
    not sure its gunna be rocky one thing apple needs to stop doing is making they're macs so overpriced a medium ranged windows pc can walk circles around a mac in so many respects
  • dlsofsetx 2011/09/23 00:47:35
    dlsofsetx
    Apple has a good reputation as a trustworthy product.
  • ruthannhausman 2011/08/31 07:43:38
    ruthannhausman
    I bet they hang in there just fine.
  • DFA 2011/08/30 20:42:47
    DFA
    I'm going to buy a new Mac desktop today or tomorrow. <--- good for you DFA. Gee thanks me!
  • dandieselonian 2011/08/30 18:19:03
    dandieselonian
    steve jobs may not be alive in a couple months
  • Andy 2011/08/30 18:06:56
    Andy
    That is buisness... I think they will be ok for a long while... if not Apple will either move on and survive, or disappear.
  • CMR 2011/08/30 15:44:56
    CMR
    Yes and no - while Jobs is the visionary behind much of the innovation we see coming out of Apple, he has also made some questionable decisions, like keeping Flash off the iPhone and iPad, and making it difficult to use the iPhone on providers other than AT&T; etc.
  • JK 2011/08/30 15:40:27
    JK
    Steve Jobs didn't do this all by himself. There are many innovators in that team and like any other team, someone will step up to be the next face.
  • Nikki Jones 2011/08/30 15:37:14
    Nikki Jones
    R I P

Steve Jobs
  • Drachen 2011/08/30 12:36:25
    Drachen
    In addition to this whole 'Public Opinion' being stupid as hell, I still disagree. Public Opinion is wrong, and unfortunately they will see how Apple falls.
    Steve Jobs had all the ideas. Without him, Apple will lapse into same-old, same-old. Who will invent the next iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc.?
  • Elleryqueen 2011/08/30 11:59:21
    Elleryqueen
    Have never owned a Apple, however; fixing to receive one from a friend. This is a borrowed computer. Other computer, our computer, got a "Choose Option" virus. Very smart virus. Short of taking it to a technician, can't get around the virus. I know, all this info not necessary. Just thought I would throw it in.

Apple should be just fine. I'm sure Jobs has groomed someone to take his place.
  • Eric S. 2011/08/30 07:14:24
    Eric S.
    Bought 3 PCs already and each only lasted 3 to 4 years. I'll try the Apple very soon.
  • Patrick... Eric S. 2011/08/30 08:41:09
    Patrick Jones
    +1
    Tell me... How many Apple users are using 12 year old Imacs?

Your comparison means nothing.
  • Vaius Patrick... 2011/08/30 13:20:36
    Vaius
    I have an 8 year old Power Mac G4 that runs fine.
  • Patrick... Vaius 2011/08/31 00:28:59
    Patrick Jones
    And I have an 8 year old PC with XP that runs fine... Whats your point?

This dude thinks that just changing systems is going to take care of his problem... instead of just taking care of his equipment.
  • Chris Eric S. 2011/08/30 11:43:01
    Chris
    Well, your average PC only costs 350-600... an average mac is 1,000+... mine was almost 2,000... plus 300 something for Apple Care... You can get premium Windows based computers with premium care plans as well... but most people don't do that, they get the cheapest PC and then compare it to Apple computers... it's not exactly a fair comparison... Mac OSX is more stable though, but so is most Linux distros, you can put Ubuntu on any PC for free if you want. I think it just comes down to the Mac experience, Apple is just a computer manufacturer but they really did everything for you, built a nice computer, nice care plan, good solid OS, etc... with a PC you can have most of that but it takes more research and time. However design wise I think Apple is ahead of everyone, I can't find a PC that's as nice as Apple.
  • tewaz1 2011/08/30 06:26:46
    tewaz1
    +1
    Apple's model of producing high quality products at higher prices has worked. The longevity of the hardware coupled with the durability of the software makes for a low maintenance machine that is a good value long term.
    The new CEO would have to be out of his mind to take the company in different direction.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2011/08/30 05:53:49
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +3
    I think they'll be fine.

I hope that Steve Jobs does good though with his health. Good thoughts and prayers to him.
  • turnright 2011/08/30 05:47:10
    turnright
    Sooner or later Mac freaks need to face reality. Steve Jobs was the creative mind behind all new gadgets at Apple, and without him that creative force is gone. Bye Bye, Sayonara, Adios amigos, Arrivederci, "Calcu-lator alligator",
  • jokeriser 2011/08/30 05:02:56
    jokeriser
    I use a mac
  • PS 2011/08/30 04:47:29
    PS
    My Aunt got really sick in February. They kept giving her blood, chemo-all kinds of crap. She started having pancreatic problems a few years ago-vomiting blood, excruciating burning pain. They said it was an ulcer then. All they could really do was destroy her immunities and she died last month. She was 72. Steve Jobs-shoot,...
  • Teancum79 2011/08/30 04:26:01
    Teancum79
    my guess is that we won't see the extremely impressive game changers as often with jobs, but they will still do a lot.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2011/08/30 04:17:59
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/08/30 03:28:16
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    Change is constant in the IT world; no individual or company can stay on top forever. Each of the previous "top of the world" IT companies had its downfall rooted in the legacy cash cow products of the past: IBM mainframes, Digital VAX/VMS, Microsoft Windows, RIM Blackberry.

Each of the previous leaders knew their cash cows needed to be replaced with radically different technology. But with massive infrastructure already in place, they struggled to keep their cash cows alive while competitors cheerfully accelerated the obsolescence of legacy products.

Apple and IBM both had near-death experiences and managed to reinvent themselves in a nick of time. Most tech companies don't fare so well. The jury is still out on Microsoft.

Apple's survival is not as dependent on Steve Jobs as it is customer satisfaction. When Microsoft/Intel machines offered better performance, more flexible hardware, and lower prices than Apple's 1st generation Macintosh products, where was the Steve Jobs cult THEN? As I recall Steve Jobs was fired because Apple was failing to compete.

Thanks to obsolescent Microsoft and RIM, Apple has a window of opportunity that transcends Steve Jobs. The customers are generally quite happy, to the point where they evangelize the brand every chance they get...

Thanks to obsolescent Microsoft and RIM, Apple has a window of opportunity that transcends Steve Jobs. The customers are generally quite happy, to the point where they evangelize the brand every chance they get. With or without Steve Jobs, customers are dumping Apple's competitors at a frightening pace. For the first time in modern IT history, the home consumer is driving the market instead of the corporate consumer.

The only serious threats to Apple are Google and their Linux-based products. But Apple is a Unix product as well, so there isn't much Google can do that Apple can't quickly imitate. In the short run, the only way Apple can really screw this up is if they allow DRM to disappoint customers. Leave that to Microsoft.
  • Resp 2011/08/30 03:04:43
    Resp
    That's right. Apple has been reduced to being just "OK", however, it was "GREAT".
  • Josh 2011/08/30 02:21:49
    Josh
    +1
    They have been charging more for less for years, if consumers bought into it then this isn't changing anything.
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2011/08/30 02:09:11 (edited)
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    I think the IT worker stat says a lot. Maybe IT workers are as fed up with all the PC virus magnets they have to constantly monitor. Now before you guys start saying it's just a matter of time before Apple gets hacked, let me ask you this...Why can they hack the CIA but they can't hack an Apple?
  • Josh Bill ~P... 2011/08/30 02:20:08
    Josh
    +1
    You get more when you make a virus for Windows because more people use Windows, if Mac was the primary OS more people would hack it.
  • Bill ~P... Josh 2011/08/30 02:29:59
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    I hear that a lot.
  • Josh Bill ~P... 2011/08/30 02:50:11
    Josh
    Because it makes since, why waste your time with a small amount when you can get a lot?
  • Bill ~P... Josh 2011/08/30 02:52:42
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I understand. In any case while the hackers are over there, I'm going to be over here.
  • V~POTL~... Josh 2011/08/30 02:54:45
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    There is a bit more to it than that. Sure, virus writers concentrate on Windows because of market share. But consider how EASY it was for CHILDREN to write the "I love you" virus. People who barely understand the syntax of Visual Basic Scripting have no problem ripping Windows to pieces. Microsoft should have been sued for product liability. But I guess all those disclaimers in the EULA really work.

Market share is just an excuse, and nobody's buying it anymore.
  • Josh V~POTL~... 2011/08/30 03:44:32
    Josh
    +1
    Computers are hard! Get a Mac! Sorry
  • tewaz1 Josh 2011/08/30 06:32:13
    tewaz1
    +1
    This is true, but only half the story. Apple produces quality software that is harder to manipulate. It isn't made for taking apart and tinkering with like PCs are. So yeah, it isn't worth the time to hack a mac because there are fewer targets, but also because the labor involved is much more intensive.
  • Josh tewaz1 2011/08/30 06:55:35
    Josh
    +1
    This is true
  • Bob DiN 2011/08/30 01:46:06
    Bob DiN
    +1
    I don't think Apple will change without Steve Jobs. No man is an island. I think Apple's best days are behind them regardless.
  • Fef 2011/08/30 01:13:40
    Fef
    +4
    Apple Fan Boyz trust in their cult leader Steve Jobs. I agree... A Jobless-Apple won't keep its "core" excited.

Steve Jobs birthed Apple twice. Tim Cook will have a hard time selling expensive hardware without the marketing guru.

We've seen #1 tech companies can fall from grace: IBM, Yahoo, Netscape, Friendster/MySpace...

Fan Boys won't shave their heads for Tim Cook.
    yahoo netscape friendstermyspace fan boys shave heads tim cook apple fan boy
  • cccp~marxist-leninst 2011/08/30 01:02:27
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    +1
    Apple is stupid!
  • DREGstudios 2011/08/30 00:44:10
    DREGstudios
    +1
    Jobs is done but left his mark on every corner of wireless technology. It only leaves us asking who won the war between the two titans of modern computer technology? Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates / Apple vs. Microsoft– check out my rendering of an epic match-up of their cyborg selves on my artist's blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspo...

2014/10/25 19:56:56