PUBLIC OPINION > Saudi Arabia's Women-Only City Is Mostly Regressive, a Little Revolutionary

SodaHead News 2012/08/14 20:00:00
Saudi Arabia is planning to build a unique town where only women are allowed to reside and work. The reason they're developing the city is to provide a way for women to succeed in their careers without compromising Islamic law. We wanted to know if the public thinks it's a revolutionary idea, or a regressive move.

saudi women city

The result was close, but most people are skeptical of the idea. The Top Opinion read, "Pretend this was only for men. Is it really revolutionary? ... This makes women unequal to men. It only makes the gap between each greater." However, others argued that it only sounds strange to Western ears. It certainly wouldn't make sense in America, but in Saudi Arabia religious law complicates the issue.

Men Aren't Far Behind

What we found most interesting about the gender demographic was how close the results were. Sure, women were more enthusiastic about it, but only a little. It was still supported by 40% of male voters, and rejected by 45% of female voters. It appears gender doesn't have a whole lot of impact on reactions to the idea.

Teens Approve of the Town

Young people were actually much more supportive of the town, but only the youngest voters. Nearly two-thirds of voters under the age of 18 thought it was revolutionary, perhaps illustrating a youthful desire for revolution. It's also worth noting that liberals were more likely to support the idea by almost the same amount, and age is often tied to politics.

Workers Are Wary

Since the town is being built to help women build careers, we decided to take a look at how people of different employment status responded. Interestingly enough, the most supportive group was not students, but retirees. And there were quite a few responses from retirees. What's interesting about this is that it's inversely related to the age breakdown, which suggests older people don't like it.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Saudi Arabia's planned women-only town. We'd love to hear from you!

• obmon 2012/11/21 12:52:40
    obmon
    +10
    You are all nuts! and ignorant! and also hilariously trivial!

First of all.. the Koran actually reads much like the Bible.. all rehteroc and fear mongering in an attempt to force submission to God. I think the only really specific part of the Koran is the small section which goes into great detail about inheritance.. the rest of it reads like this:

Man sins. God is angry. God gives man one last chance. Man fails last chance. God destroys men. God says "you deserved it".

Any of you actually read history of religions without it being led by religious thought? You'll see it's all just politics! Let me explain, in summary:

1. Though there were slaves in ancient Egypt, the majority were salaried workers! "Hebrew" was the ancient Egyptian word for immigrant!
    2. All immigrants to Egypt came for the promise of work, many got rich, one family of Hebrews even rose to the power of Pharaoh!
    3. All those immigrants brought their belief systems with them.. which eventually got amalgamated into the Hebrew religion.
    4. The drive across the Sinai and into Canaan, was actually a land grab by the Pharaoh Thutmose! How do you like them apples?
    5. Hebrews didn't become Judaism until the emergence of Jesus. Jesus wanted to reverse and correct the failings of the Hebrew religion which, as we all...

5. Hebrews didn't become Judaism until the emergence of Jesus. Jesus wanted to reverse and correct the failings of the Hebrew religion which, as we all know, became Christianity. In creating Christianity, he in inadvertently solidified the Hebrew religion into Judaism.
    6. The Muslims believe that Islam is the CONTINUATION and completion of the previous monotheistic religion. Think of it this way, Judaism provided the infrastructure, Christianity the love, and Islam the Law.
    7. Calling the Prophet of Islam a pedophile is just plain stupid. Back then, puberty was the age of consent, not the arbitrary number "18". Also, they were political marriages, not marriages of lust. Also, if you knew anything about the prophet, you would know the only woman he truly loved was his first wife; who was 10 years older, a business woman, and that he was faithful to her completely (practically unheard of for those times).
    8. The prophet Mohamed was a feminist. Men and Women prayed side by side and treated with equal value. The only reference to the "veil" (which at the time was an item denoting luxury status in women) is when the Prophet asked the hordes of men coming to his home in Medina (the first mosque) to speak to his wives from behind a veil, so that they can all remain respectful to each other. Pretty frigging understandable!
    9. Most of the DOGMA that is the modern religion was created by man AFTER the fact. There are literally HUNDREDS of varying translations of the Bible. Christianity even held a meeting in the Council of Nicaea to put together the final version of the Bible, whereby the cut out, put in, and re-interpreted the source material as they saw fit. Muslims did basically the same thing, only they used what's called "Hadiths". These are saying of the prophet as heard by someone's uncle's sister's son's cousin's friend.. Chinese whispers anyone?
    10. The bad parts of Islam comes from the radical sects, of which there is ONE that is the worst of all.. the Wahhabi of Saudi. A terrible bunch. The rest of Muslims don't pay attention to any of that and simply try to live decent lives.

• Tim Upham 2012/08/16 05:46:30
    Tim Upham
    I think Saudi Arabia is getting uncomfortable with the rise of feminism. First, women athletes in the Olympics. Second, women being allowed to drive. Will Saudi Arabia be ruled by a Queen?
  • bags th... Tim Upham 2012/08/18 14:49:44
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    Not likely.
  • Tee Quake 2012/08/16 05:26:50
    Tee Quake
    Right
  • fish 2012/08/16 04:54:22
    fish
    I read an article about this earlier today that pointed out something very important. Anytime you unleash a educated unemployed population and give them privacy and autonomy to boot-it is going to spark change-maybe even revolution. These women may ultimately become victims of their own success. What happens when these women only cities become so successful, wealthy,and influential that they become a serious threat the ruling male class. Jealously will rear it's ugly head. For awhile it will be wonderful-then a crack down will come. Moreover, the male population of Saudi Arabia will eventually get so desperate for the touch of a woman-mass rape, riots could happen. Or even creepier, the male parts of Saudi Arabia may take on a kind of prison culture, of homosexuality or child molestation out of necessity. Ask any Army soldier that's served in Afghanistan. That is what their men turned to and a couple decades of their women wearing the beekeeper suits.
  • aslan fish 2012/08/17 03:53:32
    aslan
    That is good! The only benefit would be(pun intended) less bee stings.
  • Obama Your MommA 2012/08/16 04:43:13
    Obama Your MommA
    LESBO CITY
  • Rust 2012/08/16 03:28:36 (edited)
  • aslan Rust 2012/08/17 04:08:38
    aslan
    Why not blame Bush? He was a great president, and I am very sick of people blaming him for almost everthing. Also, you are very crude in your language.
  • Rust aslan 2012/08/17 04:10:19 (edited)
  • aslan Rust 2012/08/17 04:56:13
    aslan
    You are correct on only one point. I did mean "Why blame Bush?" What is wrong with being wealthy and from New England? Puritan values were better than the values of 2012.
  • Rust aslan 2012/08/17 04:57:28
  • mary E Rust 2012/08/17 08:48:31
    mary E
    Sounds as if you are really in to those "Celtic warrior movies"!
  • Rust mary E 2012/08/17 08:51:04 (edited)
  • mary E Rust 2012/08/17 08:47:02
    mary E
    Well, George Carlin was certainly correct about SOME PEOPLE!!!!!!
  • Rust mary E 2012/08/17 08:49:40 (edited)
  • Landyn McCaul 2012/08/16 03:23:03
    Landyn McCaul
    +1
    Seperate but equal? Didn't America go though this during Brown v. Board of Education? This is sexism pure and simple. Religion is the bane of mankind. Stop praying to your magic sky daddy and get an education!
  • aslan Landyn ... 2012/08/17 04:13:10
    aslan
    +1
    I have a very good education, and I pray to my Heavenly Father. The degrading of religion, and the attack on the family, is the bane of mankind!
  • mary E Landyn ... 2012/08/17 08:53:11
    mary E
    I am a woman. I have a Master's degree. I can even spell the word "Separate"!

And, I pray daily to my God!
  • jwhite193 2012/08/16 02:30:11
  • .: LiVi :. 2012/08/16 01:15:43
    .: LiVi :.
    I'm happy that at least some of saudi arabia's women can escape the men.. Hopefully they will have a much better life
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/08/16 00:15:59
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    saudi arabian men are failures as human beings ... if they weren't, they would not need this ridiculous idea
  • Rocko 2012/08/15 23:17:09
    Rocko
    +1
    it might be a good thing starting the ball rolling so to speak lets hope so their awful treatment of women needs to end immediately
  • addie 2012/08/15 22:48:09
    addie
    If I was a Saudi Lesbian, I guess it would seem like heaven.

Only the Saudi women can really know if the oppression is enough for them to go this route.

As an American it sounds stupid, why do they not get the hell out of that lousy place?
  • addie 2012/08/15 22:47:46
    addie

• Naked 2012/08/15 21:59:44
    Naked
    +1
    I think this will actually give those ladies some freedom to be themselves. Without the presence of overbearing, controlling men. I'm for it.
  • jimmy d 2012/08/15 21:52:50
    jimmy d
    +1
    Can we do this here? I propose a LIBERAL ONLY STATE. Let's use CA or NY. They are way more than half way there already. Watch how fast they would sink with all moochers and no producers!!
  • Landyn ... jimmy d 2012/08/16 03:26:48
    Landyn McCaul
    Nice "FOX NEWS" talking points. I assume you got these from the Makers v. Takers segment on Fox? I propose a Libertardian only state where individualism reigns supreme, but you can't have any children, because you might have to put their needs above yours, inturn making you a collectivist and ruining your idealistic Libertardian society... Hurp Derp!
  • jimmy d Landyn ... 2012/08/16 21:04:19
    jimmy d
    So the government needs to PARENT YOU? Your argument lacks any sort of sane thinking.
  • ={WGO}=... Landyn ... 2012/08/16 23:16:34
    ={WGO}=captnesti
    Libertarian is not conservatism, genius. In libertarianism it's just a limited government, welfare isn't wiped out completely, it's just made so only people who really need it get it. Also, the individual is not exactly stressed. While individual success is applauded, due to the limited government stuff in the bedroom cannot be restricted. Collectivism couldn't spawn from this because linertarianism is more a social policy, freedom from oppression while maintaining equality.
  • aslan jimmy d 2012/08/17 04:15:54
    aslan
    Great idea!
  • susy 2012/08/15 21:42:15
    susy
    I guess with their past history of harems and their repressive policies towards women this comes a no surprise...
  • Theresa 2012/08/15 21:36:37
    Theresa
    +1
    How will this town be protected from marauding males?
  • phil white 2012/08/15 20:55:13
    phil white
    +1
    Les bo opolis
  • Lone Wolf 2012/08/15 20:24:20
    Lone Wolf
    Good in one Way but bad in another.
  • Israel 2012/08/15 20:05:05
  • MsDianna 2012/08/15 18:56:06
    MsDianna
    +1
    that's crazy. do the men only visit the women for sex.
    women worked hard for what we have today.
    I remember when I was young most women worked in the home raising the kids and waiting on the husband.
    women worked when there was no man in the house or the man was disabled.
    younger women don't understand what it was like when the only jobs most open to women were housekeepers, cooks, secretaries, teachers, nurses.
    we didn't see too many women doctors, lawyers, judges, bankers
  • aslan MsDianna 2012/08/21 02:45:09
    aslan
    First, you don't raise children. You rear children and raise chickens, etc.
    Secondly, women working in the home rearing their children is the greatest thing a woman can do. People blame the ills of our society on almost anything but don't blame the lack of mother in the home. A loving, nurturing, listening, and available mother, at home, would go a long way in solving many of our problems.
  • Jaiheena Star 2012/08/15 18:50:01
  • captain 2012/08/15 17:56:58
    captain
    Lame
  • cever 2012/08/15 17:54:24
    cever
    +3
    The whole concept of woman being hidden like a sick animal behind black or white robes is repulsive to me. I have 2 daughters and to even think about them being treated that way is atrocious.. As for those hellish men with beards who have no problem beheading people and shooting women in the head but who can have as many wives as they please I have issue with.. The cult called islam is the satanic invention that brought nothing but death, misery and hatred...

2014/04/20 21:13:17