Public Opinion Rules Prop 8 Unconstitutional [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2012/02/13 16:31:53
California's controversial ban on same-sex marriage voted into effect in 2008, known as Prop 8, could soon land in the Supreme Court as smaller courts have decided the amendment might be unconstitutional. It was passed by a tight margin four years ago, and when we asked SodaHeads what they thought about the proposition's constitutionality we found that it hasn't gotten any less controversial. Political views were obviously an enormous factor, but we decided to zero in on other demographics, instead -- gender, age, location. We hope you find the results as interesting as we did! Let's dive.

prop 8

• jdh Cra*Chr... 2012/02/22 20:16:54
    jdh
    +1
    What does this have to do with organized religion? Is it organized religion that tells us incest and bestiality is wrong? Give us your honest opinion on those two subjects. It does not take God or the Bible to understand biology or nature. Nor does it do so to understand the roles of mothers and fathers in homes and how drastically different they are.
  • Cra*Chr... jdh 2012/02/23 02:31:44 (edited)
    Cra*Christopher*fty
    The topic at hand is same-sex marriage, not incest or bestiality. Christianity states that marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman, and the government has allowed that train of thought to become infused with politics, although not every American citizen considers themselves Christian. Not everyone wants to get married under the light of God. This is the argument that every religious opponent of SSM brings up. The majority of the Republicans candidates believe that homosexuality is sinful, and some are in disagreement with domestic partnerships/civil unions and gay adoption. They desperately want to protect the "traditional" family, which is a norm that has never been fool-proof anyway. One mom, one dad, little Johnny and Jane living in suburbia with the white-picket fence and a pretty front and backyard? lol. In essence, saying that LGBT people can't marry and adopt is a moral judgment, not a political statement. Why should people who do not subscribe to Christianity, have to be forced to submit and build their lives around its teachings? Marriage is not a holy institution for everyone, it should be considered a secular institution first and fore-most.

By bringing up incest and bestiality, you're suggesting that if LGBT people are allowed to marry, then why should...

By bringing up incest and bestiality, you're suggesting that if LGBT people are allowed to marry, then why shouldn't everyone else, correct? Well, I never knew an animal who could talk lol. Humans have the gift of language, and unless someone can come up with an advanced method of analyzing/translating what animals "say", they are out of luck. Why compare two men/two women to a man/woman and their dog/cat? Cuz both are considered social deviants? The fact is, there are millions of Americans that don't have an issue with SSM, that's why this debate is even happening. However, the same cannot be said for incestuous and half-bestial marriage.
  • Gabriel Mainville 2012/02/16 19:19:02
    Gabriel Mainville
    +1
    Apparently mormons put money on prop 8, I don't like those Jesus freak at all and then they pretend to preach love.
  • Mike Mu... Gabriel... 2012/02/22 12:57:28
    Mike Murphy
    +1
    Jesus freaks are the real problem, indeed... How come you can't outlaw them? They are the ones poisoning your country, lol, not the gays. None of the founding fathers were even really that religious, but nowadays you've got the crazy christians pretending they were all up in gods ass constantly... YOU ARE TURNING INTO A NORTH AMERICAN IRAN, YIKES!
  • Gabriel... Mike Mu... 2012/09/20 14:37:56
    Gabriel Mainville
    When some of them commit crime like pedophilia. What I don't like is there is a bunch of Jesus Freaks like Faytene Kryskow who can come anytime in the Canadian Parliament. I could with Stephen Harper you're absolutely right.
  • Rich Luna 2012/02/16 15:44:06
    Rich Luna
    +1
    Don’t care.
  • CharlesG BN-0 2012/02/15 20:16:47
    CharlesG BN-0
    +6
    By golly, "public opinion" should just rule everything then... Snooki
    Our next President
  • Turings... Charles... 2012/02/15 20:34:16
    TuringsChild
    +4
    I'll take her over Obama ANY day! lol
  • Todd's ... Turings... 2012/02/16 03:50:53
    Todd's Love
    +1
    damn too bad she wont take youuuu lol
  • tewaz1 Charles... 2012/02/19 09:00:28
    tewaz1
    +1
    By public opinion you mean like...a vote?
    Yeah, you make a good point. Public opinion really works well for us, doesn't it?
  • NatAlex23 Charles... 2012/02/19 20:42:25 (edited)
    NatAlex23
    Try another one. Snooki would have to deal with the fact that over 60% of the time, we pick the tall guy, and I'm pretty sure a 10 year old would be taller than her.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/02/15 19:30:33 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    I'd like a word with the GLBTQ who think that prop8 is constitutional.
  • Nintaku Bibliop... 2012/02/16 02:17:34 (edited)
    Nintaku
    OH-hai-thar!
    Prop-8 is bigotry justified through religion.
    If I made a religion that said anyone named Bibliophilic is evil and then made a bill that said you were evil and should be denied things that everyone else is not denied, you would oppose the bill.
    Same principle.

In the end what is constitutional or "good" is based on how many brainwashed people one can get to say it is such. Mix that the majority of the US population (>50%) is uneducated (High school diploma only) and the matter becomes more severe. Uneducated people often times jump to letting someone else tell them what to think instead of thinking for themselves and deciding if the individual in the shoes of the persecuted would hold the same beliefs.

Straight, bi-sexual, gay, transgendered, transexual, and asexual are all Human conditions. What right do you have to deny one human his or her right to happiness and a common rite of passage among nearly every culture on earth?

What if it was decided that you could not marry for whatever reason? Would you be upset? Would you think the people supporting the bill misguided and the forces pushing it forward tyrannical?

Change only happens in blood. In sports it is when someone dies and new protection methods are invented to protect the participants. In revolutions it is...

OH-hai-thar!
    Same principle.

Change only happens in blood. In sports it is when someone dies and new protection methods are invented to protect the participants. In revolutions it is as one party slaughters the other until one gives up. If this issue came to a bloody confrontation, I know what side I would support and what side I would put down since I made my moral decision based on my own principles and values.

My question to you is if your decisions are based on your own principles and values or the principles and values that some preacher told you to believe and that you were never supposed to question.
    Question your values, beliefs, and principles! Through questioning you gain a deeper understanding of yourself.

Though, I digress: Marriage is an archaic system that is of an archaic religion built on fear, hatred, and ignorance. Religion its self is garbage. Spirituality is what is important.
  • Bibliop... Nintaku 2012/02/16 02:23:24 (edited)
  • Nintaku Bibliop... 2012/02/16 02:33:22
    Nintaku
    Come at me bro!
    *gets .44 magnum ready*
  • Bibliop... Nintaku 2012/02/16 02:38:45 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    I am pro-marriage equality, lol. I had a derp moment. I need to get more sleep
  • Nintaku Bibliop... 2012/02/16 03:05:21
    Nintaku
    Well then... *snuggles*
    Spread the luvs!
  • Brian 2012/02/15 18:00:54 (edited)
    Brian
    +5
    I think this is beyond the scope of Prop 8. Constitutional revisions should not be whimsical. A statute validating same-sex marriage would be just as ridiculous.
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/02/15 17:51:04
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +4
    I find it convenient that what is really being talked about is redefining the definition of marriage. That is what is at issue really.

California is one of the most liberal states in the country, and Prop 8 was passed by the voters there. Seems like a settled matter; it was voted on by the people of the state.

LOL No of course not. Now that the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional (big shock there), it will make its way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

It is interesting to note two things; first at this point, the ban is still in effect, and second that the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decisions are usually reversed.

The question is going to be should marriage be redefined. Sounds simple to the people that want that, but it is not. If it is, then polygamists would fall under the equal protection clause in that redefinition, as well as all kinds of other various arrangements.
  • BrianD3 Brian T... 2012/02/15 20:13:29
    BrianD3
    +7
    a fraction of 1% of our population should not be able to force us to change existing customs and norms within our society to suit their choices
  • Brian T... BrianD3 2012/02/15 20:19:28
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +7
    It is worse than that, they want to redefine was a word/concept is altogether. And even worse than that, if you are someone who thinks marriage/family is a fundamental building block of our society, then it goes far beyond definitions, customs, and norms, it is an assault at the very fabric of our society.
  • BrianD3 Brian T... 2012/02/15 20:38:13
    BrianD3
    +4
    THEY want a culture that is consequence free and there is no such thing. They want religion and the law to accept and condone their choices and WE should resist.
  • Brian T... BrianD3 2012/02/15 21:26:02
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +4
    That seems to be the case, doesn't it.

Honestly, I can not see marriage getting redefined legally, it opens too many doors under equal protection clause of the Constitution. Marriage on the other hand, as it is, is defined in such a way that it does not violate equal protection clause of the Constitution. It is what it is.

Aside from that, I think in the very near future, due to economic, and political forces, this country is going to get back to basics, there is not going to be much of a choice. Whether or not there is civil unrest from a correction like that just depends on what kind of resources people have that they can participate in such foolishness. What is going on now is, the hard left is basically putting it all in, straight across the board, because their days in this country are numbered, and they know it.
  • J 2012/02/15 17:42:45 (edited)
    J
    +4
    And by what margin did Obama win the election? I think we need to take that to the SCOTUS and have them remove him from office. By way of the left...Minority rules!!!
  • DM Twin 2012/02/15 17:33:08
    DM Twin
    +7
    7 million California voters VOICES need to be upheld....don't like it...too bad.
  • BrianD3 DM Twin 2012/02/15 17:34:43
    BrianD3
    +5
    yep! since when can less than 1% outweigh the majority?
  • DM Twin BrianD3 2012/02/15 17:40:32
    DM Twin
    +7
    Correct . They are just lazy as well...Civil Unions provide the exact same benefits as " Marriage"...but NOT in every state. So rather than fighting THAT battle in the states...they lazily take the federal route trying to force the WORD marriage to include gay couples. QUIT BEING LAZY...accept the WORDS civil union and fight the states for equal benefits...the more they squeal , the less sympathy they recieve . We can vote to outlaw civil unions too if they want...keep squalking .
  • BrianD3 DM Twin 2012/02/15 17:48:44
    BrianD3
    +4
    exactly, I could have felt sympathetic to their inequity with regards to rights but after all their prancing about and parading I really am just sick of them
  • DM Twin BrianD3 2012/02/15 18:23:43
    DM Twin
    +4
    Yup....I could care less if they have equal BENEFITS of a married couple...NOT GETTING THE WORD..sorry .
  • BrianD3 DM Twin 2012/02/15 18:25:25 (edited)
    BrianD3
    +5
    they already took the word gay and made it.....well, gay.....they ruined rainbows....
  • DM Twin BrianD3 2012/02/15 20:38:12
    DM Twin
    +2
    HAhahhaha...Personally...I'll never look at a unicorn the same way...HAHhaHAHaha
  • Hsmagst DM Twin 2012/02/18 13:11:34
  • DM Twin Hsmagst 2012/02/18 19:28:11
    DM Twin
    Exactly correct . Liberal , Democrats , commie and gays all want instant do-overs if they lose thier arguments....
  • schjaz 2012/02/15 17:20:12
    schjaz
    +6
    Majority rules....if you don't like it...i guess you need to move to a community (state) where you are comfortable with the laws. This shouldn't be something for the Supreme Court to decide.
  • Nintaku schjaz 2012/02/16 02:28:49
    Nintaku
    +1
    I have a fantastic idea. Lets make a different sect of Christianity that says homosexuality is awesome and stuff.
    Then lets have a massive religious war for the next couple of thousand years that divides our religion over an ultimately trivial and pointless subject. Then, lets made the "Don't Care" side that is smaller.
    Wait, I think I just described Islam but used Marriage instead of the succession of who leads the religion.
    Point is, if an organized group wanted to it could "cull" a majority. Wouldn't be anything new either since humanity has been doing just that for about as long as we have been in existence.

Or, people could just do what I do and say religion is garbage and leave it all together. SO much easier. You have your freaky-deaky religious ideas, that guy over there has his, and I'll be living my life without worrying if "god", "allah". or "bob the tomato" are mad or happy about me doing something.
  • schjaz Nintaku 2012/02/16 19:47:47
    schjaz
    You don't think we are being culled right now?

if i don't want to live in San Francisco where someone can walk into a restaurant stark naked where i am lunching, i don't have to.
  • Nintaku schjaz 2012/02/16 23:22:40 (edited)
    Nintaku
    No one is pointedly being culled. There are church massacres but those are by disgruntled and angry individuals who are estranged from reality.

The reality is that one side needs to become more accepting of others and the other needs to allow that acceptance to flourish without pushing too hard too soon.

I go with the "Don't like it, don't look at it."

My honest view on the whole who sticks a dick in who and what opinion is that we should just stay out of it. If they want to be "married" then sure why not. I somehow think that God, Allah, or Bob the Tomato <=(Actual deity!) would not care about the issue. Is person X happy with person Y? If so, then why not.

Instead of Fighting each other over the issue we should be holding Both sides to the exact same standards. If a man and a woman can do it in public then a man and a man and a woman and a woman can do it too. Equality for all, not just who is mainstream.
    My wisdom is that we do not want "different" to become "dangerous."
  • schjaz Nintaku 2012/02/18 18:32:15
    schjaz
    What you consider offensive and what I consider offensive are two different things which is where the problem lies.
  • Nintaku schjaz 2012/02/25 01:12:21
    Nintaku
    The simple fact of the matter is that regardless of what one does, someone will be offended. One could run into an Orphanage to save innocent people and there will be a group of people who condemn the act.
    Point is, I have my views and believe that only through tolerance and equality will humanity flourish with the least amount of wasted human potential.
    If someone is denied something and asks, "why not?" Then there better be a damn good reason for it.

Let me tell you this, if different becomes dangerous everyone in this country will start losing rights faster than we are has seen so far. It is a terrifying outlook that over time our society has become more and more of an Orwellian society, different being dangerous would just kick start that into action at a far exponential rate.

One of the greatest missteps in our society has been to glorify the ignorant, and condemn the informed. Informed people think critically, and through that thought they can understand others and the plights they undertake.
    I understand that religious leaders are frightened that if homosexuals/bisexuals were allowed to marry by law that they could sue churches for not marrying them. There concerns are well founded since they would likely get sued, and the suing party would champion marrying them or p...

I understand that religious leaders are frightened that if homosexuals/bisexuals were allowed to marry by law that they could sue churches for not marrying them. There concerns are well founded since they would likely get sued, and the suing party would champion marrying them or paying them off. The cheaper option is, obviously, marrying them. It is not humanity's duty to act as the deity's agents on this world, it is the deity's job to carry out its duty when human souls go to it to be judged.

The most important part is the biases associated. The bitch of the matter is Marriage is associated with strong good biases.
    Civil Unions are associated with negative biases.
    This is the reason homosexuals, bisexuals, pansexuals, and etc. want to 'marry' instead of just getting a 'civil union.'

The other point of prop-8 is that the money came straight from a Church. If the Mormon church did not donate tons of money into the proposition, it would have crashed and burned. Some might say that doing such is ok. What is the Muslim Mosques poured money into an american bill and it passed. I bet people, with how brainwashed and ignorant our population is, would defy that bill.

My experience is that the more educated someone is, the more tolerant the individual is. I am not questioning your education, but pointing out that somewhere in the vicinity of 80% of the US population does not go to college. Why should we even allow these uneducated people who are easily manipulated by greedy politicians and corporation vote on important matters. If I had millions of dollars I could sway the vote of any election and create biases in the mob. Believe it or not, this issue is similar to what killed Greece. The Greeks turned on their enlightened and educated. Enlightenment and Logic has lost to Ignorance and gullibility more often than it has won, and after each defeat the society enters a Dark Age of fear and superstition.
  • schjaz Nintaku 2012/02/25 17:51:15
    schjaz
    You said....Point is, I have my views and believe that only through tolerance and equality will humanity flourish with the least amount of wasted human potential.

we cannot always have what we want. and we shouldn't. that's one of the ways we LEARN.

2014/09/19 17:59:10