PUBLIC OPINION > Ron Paul's Online Support Is Impressive

It might seem a little strange that Republican candidate Ron Paul is doing so poorly in the primaries when he seems to have so much public support, but much of that support is online. An article by Yahoo! News suggests Paul's supporters are not nearly as populous in "the real world" as they appear to be online. And as a result, the presidential candidate has virtually no chance of winning. But the Internet is, and will continue to become, an important part of campaigning, so maybe he's on to something. We asked the public if his online support is as impressive as it seems.

Not everyone is impressed, but a narrow majority are. Granted, it's a little tough to objectively gauge an online phenomenon through the Internet, but there's not much else you can do. One reason Paul might be doing so well online, and we'll have more on this in a bit, is that he appeals to young people. One commenter wrote, "He is the only GOP candidate with a significant young following. I think that is impressive for a 76 year old candidate. It is also the reason why he does so much better online. Phone surveys are weighted toward an older demographic. Internet surveys to a younger demographic."

Libertarian Love

Yes, libertarians were very impressed, but that's about it on the political spectrum. He failed to impress most liberals, conservatives, and moderates. The libertarian base appears to be his main source of fuel, although he did snag 30%-40% of the rest, which is saying something.

Teens Take to the Internet

That commenter was right, teens are fond of the Internet support. That doesn't necessarily mean they'd vote for him (though it is a good indicator), but it does mean the Internet campaigning is popular with the kids. Obviously. We'll have to wait another four years to find out how they'd actually vote... That is, if Paul tries again at age 80.

Smokers Are Impressed

Oddly enough, smokers were significantly more likely to be impressed with Ron Paul's campaign. Our best guess is that it has something to do with the libertarian tie, especially following that attempt to require graphic warnings on cigarette packages. The government is not looking good to smokers.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Ron Paul. We'd love to hear from you!

• owen Z 2012/04/04 01:18:12
    owen
    100% correct.Ron Paul will be murdered for the same reasons Kennedy was
  • Michael The Archangel 2012/03/15 13:40:26
    Michael The Archangel
    +3
    Definitely Ron P-rocks the crowds, no empty seats in his stadiums. He is a winner even if he does not get to seat behind the presidential desk. His legacy will remain and at last, his cause will prevail.

I do not think this country is ready for such a fine and illustrious presidential figure as Ron Paul. None is wiser than him and more qualified to be president of the United States than his fellow running mates and the incumbent. But when the wicked rule the people mourn. I have been mourning a lot and I see a lot of people mourning around the country. OWL Labor is entrenched against capital and TEA capital against Labor.

The LORD will keep Ron Paul where is more useful to us all because he is not as expendable as the rest, incumbents included. I believe that for Ron Paul, this is not about winning, but about the establishment of a presence and expanding his Moral, patriotic and libertarian message. May the LORD bless Ron Paul and his posterity now and forever. It would be sweet to see him or his son in a presidential ticket now or in the near future when iniquity is swept from this country. It will be a shout of victory and joy for what will be left of the American people

“When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.”

(Old Testament | Proverbs 29:2)
  • Someone Else 2012/03/15 13:28:51
    Someone Else
    +3
    Because people with working brains now have realized just how corrupted the news media really is and no longer trust what they view on TV the internet is their only way to form an honest opinion of who the candidates really are ya' gramma and grampa don't use the internet as much as the younger generations do.
  • Michael... Someone... 2012/03/15 13:42:40
    Michael The Archangel
    THE PRESTITUTES AND THEY GET MAD AND ANGRY AT THE TRUTH OR WHEN YOU CALL THEM SLUTS.
  • TKramar Someone... 2012/03/15 18:36:31
    TKramar
     puppet

Here's your next president...whether they re-elect Obama or not.
  • owen TKramar 2012/04/04 01:19:21
    owen
    The hands of Rothschild and co
  • TKramar owen 2012/04/04 10:12:37
    TKramar
    Politicians are always under the control of the puppet masters. They alone have the power to make or break a candidate.
  • Tomas 2012/03/15 13:28:23
    Tomas
    +3
    All these elections are fixed. Everyone knows this. Now with the internet, it's easier to expose the corruption. Since it's a two party system ( after Ross Perot, they decided to not let independents in the debates ), so Ron Paul needs to run as a Republican just so that he could be heard. If the Democrats and Republicans aren't too keen with a candidate like Paul.. he's the guy people should vote for. As of lately there's no real difference between Republicans and Democrats. They're both for big business, corporations, excess spending/printing of money, policing the world, and war.
  • Michael... Tomas 2012/03/15 13:43:15 (edited)
    Michael The Archangel
    +2

(Old Testament | Proverbs 29:2)

RON PAUL
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/03/15 12:42:14
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    Not to me.
  • irish 2012/03/15 12:39:27 (edited)
    irish
    +3
    can you now admit to voter fraud against ron paul? ron paul  cuacus  fraud dees Ron Paul
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/15 11:04:34
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    He doesn't have the MSM to bloat his poll numbers like they do for obaaaama the leftwing loser.
  • shadow76 2012/03/15 08:21:30
    shadow76
    +1
    Not why isn't socalled popularity translating into votes?
  • Michael... shadow76 2012/03/15 13:47:44
    Michael The Archangel
    +1
    Brokered and buried corruption at work 366 days a year 7 days a week 25 hours a day and 60 minutes an hour. The math just doesn't add up when the dead vote.
  • TKramar shadow76 2012/03/15 18:37:58
    TKramar
    Two reasons, really. People who sit on their couch and bitch about the government don't actually go to the polls.

Plus, the votes are rigged anyhow. The people in power have already decided the outcome, just like pro wrestling.
  • shadow76 TKramar 2012/03/16 02:01:28
    shadow76
    Well then his 'support' is irrelevant.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/15 05:56:30
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    Everyone points to Ron Paul's weak foreign policy yet we've been represented by Sir Bows-a-lot and the pants suit in fat ankles for the last three miserable years. Talk about weak...
  • Resp 2012/03/15 05:47:47
    Resp
    +7
    Oh yes. Ron Paul is impressive. Why the crowds aren't translating into more votes is suspicious.

I think Ron Paul is deliberately being sidelined and we are being defrauded.
  • Michael... Resp 2012/03/15 13:49:12
    Michael The Archangel
    +2
    My thoughts exactly. Brokered and buried corruption of the foulest kind at work 366 days a year 7 days a week 25 hours a day and 60 minutes an hour. The math just doesn't add up when the dead vote.
  • dekecds Resp 2012/03/16 07:37:43
    dekecds
    I have agreed with this for three consecutive elections (some didn't even know he ran even though his numbers were close in many states.)
  • Michael... dekecds 2012/03/17 01:47:09
    Michael The Archangel
    I wonder how they do resurrect the dead to go and vote. But you know what. We can never say that God did not put a wise and prudent candidate in our noses that we could vote for to get this country up and running in the right directions again.

I am very afraid of what may shortly come to pass if the American people choose iniquity time and again. I know of a principle of truth that when applied it gives either the expected or the hated results. This is the principle. It is not common that the majority of the voice of the people chooses that which is not right. But it is common that the lesser part of the people chooses that which is not right. And if we are thus far preserved it is because the majority has chooses what is correct. But since you said that at least from the past three elections people have chosen corruption and we have suffered much decline as a nation ever since. Now when the time comes that people chooses iniquity again you will see an increase of destruction or deeper decline of our society until the cup is full and we suffer the whole wrath of God.

I do not know this of myself, my ancient fathers left a book in which they explained this principle to our people, upon these lands but they did not listen. They were time and again destroyed upon this continent u...

I do not know this of myself, my ancient fathers left a book in which they explained this principle to our people, upon these lands but they did not listen. They were time and again destroyed upon this continent until they degenerated completely and few were left. They had kings but they changed from that to a form of constitutional democracy as we now have in America. Unfortunately their civilization was destroyed from within as America is being destroyed from within.

Here is the account:

And behold, now I say unto you, ye cannot dethrone an iniquitous king save it be through much contention, and the shedding of much blood. For behold, he has his friends in iniquity, and he keepeth his guards about him; and he teareth up the laws of those who have reigned in righteousness before him; and he trampleth under his feet the commandments of God; And he enacteth laws, and sendeth them forth among his people, yea, laws after the manner of his own wickedness; and whosoever doth not obey his laws he causeth to be destroyed; and whosoever doth rebel against him he will send his armies against them to war, and if he can he will destroy them; and thus an unrighteous king doth pervert the ways of all righteousness. And now behold I say unto you, it is not expedient that such abominations should come upon you.

Therefore, choose you by the voice of this people, judges, that ye may be judged according to the laws which have been given you by our fathers, which are correct, and which were given them by the hand of the Lord.

Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:21 - 27)
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/03/15 05:14:52
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    If you are a member of the BLAME AMERICA FIRST crowds, one would have no trouble aligning with and voting for RP.
  • David H... CUDDLY ... 2012/03/15 06:00:29
    David Hussey
    +7
    And if your one who wishes to remain ignorant of America's foreign policy failures, criminal failures, then you wont understand why someone would support Ron Paul
  • CUDDLY ... David H... 2012/03/15 14:25:23
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    If I were anti-Israel, I'd be a RP nut.

I'm not.
  • TKramar CUDDLY ... 2012/03/15 18:39:03
    TKramar
    Not anti-Israel so much as pro-America, and anti-any country that isn't America.
  • Resp CUDDLY ... 2012/03/15 19:06:57
    Resp
    America First! Let Israel stand up for themselves. First Israel should release all the American spies from jail over there! Oh wait... there are no American spies in jail in Israel... but we have a crowd of "friendly" Israel-firster spies over here! Screw Israel. America First!
  • zazzina... CUDDLY ... 2012/03/16 06:27:47
    zazzina zazzi
    +2
    You'r ignorant. Go and watch FOX ! It is good for you.
  • CUDDLY ... zazzina... 2012/03/16 14:07:58
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    That all ya got? Pathetic. LOL
  • Of Thee I Sing... 2012/03/15 05:09:56
    Of Thee I Sing...
    +2
    Ron Paul will NEVER win the Republican nomination because his foreign policies among other liberal ideologies...such as legalization of pot and other harmful drugs.......I've said it before and I will post it again............There is NO place in American politics for isolationists in global society. He will NOT win. Vote Romney.
  • David H... Of Thee... 2012/03/15 05:59:09
    David Hussey
    +5
    But it appears there is a place for misrepresentation. Do you not understand the difference between isolationism and a policy of non-intervention? Or are you just parroting a sound bite you heard from a MSM talking head?
  • Michael... David H... 2012/03/15 13:56:36
    Michael The Archangel
    +2
    Friends with all and allied with none.
  • David H... Michael... 2012/03/16 05:10:53
    David Hussey
    +1
    Just as the nation was intended to be
  • Tomas Of Thee... 2012/03/15 13:34:11
    Tomas
    +1
    Good lord. Just read the 911 report. Listen to what the head of the CIA has concluded to. Our foreign policy causes terrorist attacks. Other countries don't like us on their land. This policy is more isolationist that Paul's non-intervention policy. Leave others alone and make friends. Also, prohibition was a huge failure. Because of it, the Mafia GREW. Legalize drugs and put the crime lords out of business. Besides, it's well documented that the CIA deals in drugs to fund projects. Just look it up. It's not a conspiracy theory. It's a conspiracy FACT.
  • DizziNY Tomas 2012/03/16 10:43:01 (edited)
    DizziNY
    Not completely. I think our meddling in affairs that don't concern us has helped fan the flames of their hate. Overall, America has done good, and I am sure Dr Paul knows this. But, to deny the fact that we have meddled in areas where we didn't need to is just pure foolishness.
  • Michael... Of Thee... 2012/03/15 13:55:25
    Michael The Archangel
    +1
    The global community is the least of my worries, I need a candidate that is concerned about USS enterprises and not our neighbors abroad. It is written love thy neighbor not thy neighboring nation. CHARITY STARTS AT HOME. When things are good at home then we can help whomever. This is simple and commons sense as they say when you are about to take off on a plain. In case of emergency, if you want to help; or If pressure suddenly drops, you put on the Oxygen mask first, otherwise you're both dead. Obamania is obsolete and overrated.
  • TKramar Of Thee... 2012/03/15 18:39:40
    TKramar
    We don't need to be part of a global society.
  • DizziNY Of Thee... 2012/03/16 10:41:08
    DizziNY
    Yea vote Romney and we will have another four years of obama. A vote for anyone BUT Ron Paul is a vote for obama. HE is not an isolationist, it's called non-intervention like the FOUNDERS ADVISED US TO BE. I guess you think there is no place for them then too huh?
  • Of Thee... DizziNY 2012/03/17 06:34:37
    Of Thee I Sing...
    I can see the deparation oozing out of your pores..........you backed the WRONG horse in this race. Please save your feeble attempts to justify your candidates' un-American view on how he is "In-line" with the Founding Fathers.......The founding fathers would NOT want isolationism at the cost of our country itself!......moron.
  • ConLibFraud 2012/03/15 05:03:43
    ConLibFraud
    +7
    If only the lying treasonous media would report the truth ... the GOP is a corrupt organization and Ron Paul is way ahead of the NWO candidates!!! Don't get too excited you dems and libs ... both the GOP and Dems are corrupt! In fact only one party exists.

The DRCP - Dem Repub Crime Party!!!
  • Bob DiN 2012/03/15 04:35:48
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Ron Paul is not so impressive at the primary polls, being in last place in delegates.

2014/11/21 11:59:31