Public Opinion Picks the iPad Over the Kindle Fire [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2011/10/03 16:00:00
Last week we asked SodaHeads if they thought Amazon's upcoming tablet, the Kindle Fire, will be able to take down Apple's iPad. There were a lot of factors to consider, from Flash compatibility to price, but in the end only one tablet could come out on top, and Apple came out with a strong majority.

The iPad came out ahead no matter how we broke it down, but the Kindle Fire flourished most among those who would have a harder time affording the iPad. Younger buyers hardly even considered the Kindle -- maybe because they expected their parents to buy their tablet for them, or because "Kindle" reminds them of reading.

We also took a look at some healthy tablet competition to see how prices stacked up. The Kindle is priced aggressively to burn out not only the iPad, but even low-end competitors like the Dell Streak.

And, as always, we've compiled the data into an easily digestible infographic for your viewing pleasure. Let's dive.

sodahead infographic ipad kindle fire

• deBrice 2011/10/27 18:46:36
  • deBrice 2011/10/27 18:45:22
  • Chris Simmons 2011/10/23 01:39:11
    Chris Simmons
    the ipad is a big rip off for what it actually is no sd card slot no flash support html 5 both android and apple support it kindle fire all the way
  • deepblueapple 2011/10/16 05:57:44
    deepblueapple
    I heard once that an Apple a day keeps the doctor away, but apparently not pancreatic cancer. :p
  • Zion21 2011/10/12 19:34:39
    Zion21
    I believe that the Kindle Fire will be the perfect balance point for people not looking to spend $500 on the iPad. The fire has all the necessary features at the right price. I think we are going to see some serious competition here.

• archcorenth 2011/10/11 23:35:17
    archcorenth
    Umm.... The Kindle Fire is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more betterer. People are just voting on name recognition.
  • jere.chievres 2011/10/09 14:16:22
    jere.chievres
    +4
    I care less, I like to g\hold a book in my hands, I own several hundred.
  • Diane 2011/10/09 02:44:22
    Diane
    Buy them both!
  • meetsonya 2011/10/08 17:00:30
    meetsonya
    I disagree. Kindle fire will reach out to non tech savvy people who otherwise would have never considered a tablet. Pools like this tend to attract tech savvy - Apple biased responses. How often do you hear your granny take online polls? http://www.forums.kindlefiref...
  • Tau_Seti 2011/10/08 16:08:40
  • Rachel 2011/10/08 15:17:03
    Rachel
    iPad duh

IF U R A DragonVale player, check out my support page:

http://get-dragonvale-support...
  • Rapier 2011/10/07 23:00:15
    Rapier
    +1
    All things being equal, it will boil down to price for most and peer review for others...
  • Sagan 2011/10/07 20:08:46
    Sagan
    "Kindle Fire" sounds like a really gassy little girl.
  • ❦♚Miranda♚❧ 2011/10/07 15:42:19
    ❦♚Miranda♚❧
    +3
    iPad...2!
    ipad2
    I want one sooo badly :(
  • Ami Kate 2011/10/07 14:10:28
    Ami Kate
    iPad
  • Steve Johnson 2011/10/07 13:43:50
    Steve Johnson
    It's not surprising that a poll on an internet board would be skewed by Apple fanboys. But Amazon is looking at a larger audience for its Kindle Fire - people who want mobile multimedia, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong thing, but I see the Kindle Fire as more of an attempt by Amazon to extend its Kindle brand rather than to challenge Apple.

At under $200, a Kindle Fire is just right for putting under a Christmas tree, andf Amazon knows it.
  • Luca Steve J... 2011/10/07 17:53:25
    Luca
    +1
    I can agree with you in some respects. But reality is, they are not even competitors. The Amazon tablet is a highly stripped down model, not even offering a cam. It can make a great gift for a kid, or for those seeking only a browsing experience. The real problem is this:

I have been an iPhone user since they came out...but i HATE Apple for their restrictive policies. I got an Android phone and I find it to be far superior to the iPhone. I then got the Asus Transformer android based tablet, which is in every instance ranked #1. Android tablets simply suck! It was NOTHING like my phone, could never in a million years be customized like my phone, Skype does not support a camera on Android tablets, there is no distinction in the apps which will or will not work on a tablet...so it is a waste of time in triial and error. After 3 weeks, I returned the Asus (which I absolutely loved for its flexibility, USB ports, 500 gb external storage drive, SD slots, keyboard, etc etc), to get an iPad that has none of those capabilities, yet, is so much more cohesive, simpler, and vastly more refined than an Android tablet.
  • Steve J... Luca 2011/10/07 20:05:25
    Steve Johnson
    "But reality is, they are not even competitors. The Amazon tablet is a highly stripped down model, not even offering a cam. It can make a great gift for a kid, or for those seeking only a browsing experience"

That was my point - Amazon is looking to expand their Kindle line, not challenge Apple directly. With its huge inventory of music, video as well as books, Amazon can provide ample content for people who just want a simple mobile multimedia experience

Thanks for the info on the Asus, btw. I used to build PCs with Asus motherboards.
  • Luca Steve J... 2011/10/07 20:11:17
    Luca
    good stuff! The Asus tablet was GREAT in design...but the Android tablet platform sucks!
  • Steve J... Luca 2011/10/07 20:34:09
    Steve Johnson
    " The Asus tablet was GREAT in design...but the Android tablet platform sucks"

That shows (and validates) Apple's wisdom in integrating their hardware and software
  • Luca Steve J... 2011/10/07 20:40:53
    Luca
    yes...i just hate their restrictive policies...i developed great disdain for them when I went OFF my 2 year AT&T contract, asked for my phone to be unlocked...and was told that Apple does not permit their phones to be unlocked. I BOUGHT the phone...i PAID for the usage of it as well...and now i am being told by Apple..."here,now you can have your worthless paperwieght" My response to them was "f**k you"
  • goddess... Luca 2011/10/12 03:42:29
    goddess7240
    There is a way to unlock that phone and if you don't want to attempt it, there are a million people who would be willing to do it for you. I hope you still have it.....
  • Luca goddess... 2011/10/12 03:48:47
    Luca
    I have it unlocked...the point is that they do not automatically do it and give u ownership of the phone u bought...but thanks!
  • goddess... Steve J... 2011/10/12 03:39:46
    goddess7240
    +1
    I just read that Amazon puts out $209.00 for each Kindle fire it produces but they accept that slight loss per unit because they will make it up with their Amazon products, movies and books etc etc.

So you are right, they are more interested in extending their products via the Fire.
  • gary 2011/10/07 12:41:34
  • Luca gary 2011/10/07 17:53:55
    Luca

I suspect you have owned neither..
  • Ami Kate 2011/10/07 08:22:10
  • Jake Blanton 2011/10/06 21:21:03
    Jake Blanton
    +1
    I don't buy Apple products... I still hold it against them that they put the reset button right beside the backspace key on the Apple II... Plus, I don't like the cult following that they seem to have... The Kindle is in the right price range, but it doesn't have a USB connection that you could use for a GPS or auxiliary storage, so I'll pass on it also... Guess I'll just say with my more powerful laptop...
  • Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/10/06 20:47:03
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Told you. Apple users are very loyal.
  • Hausen 2011/10/06 19:31:32
    Hausen
    +3
    Read a real book!
  • tewaz1 Hausen 2011/10/08 19:17:17
    tewaz1
    +1
    Why, when I can carry the entire Gutenberg library project with me, access any of the 33,000 some titles with a touch, change the font and background to be easiest on my eyes, mark favorite passages, quotes, etc...without permanently destroying my book, switch to text-to-audio when I have to drive, and then flip over to the internet to write a review or report?
  • Hausen tewaz1 2011/10/27 18:00:32
    Hausen
    If you are so inclined. I will stick to turning the glued pages of a dead tree by lamplight with a glass of dry Shiraz. If I need to write a review I'll break out my yellow legal pad. :)
  • tewaz1 Hausen 2011/10/28 02:50:37
    tewaz1
    That's fair enough, and I enjoy doing the same from time to time. Just so long as you don't expect everyone to be a purist. ;)
  • luke gagnon 2011/10/06 19:25:49
    luke gagnon
    Ok. The ipad will win because its full ios where the new kindle has a modified version of android 2.3 on it. To actually make it into a Android tablet you will have to root it and put a standered version of Android 3.0 (the android tablet os). So there is no contest here. If your savvy, a bit thrifty and prefer android you will buy the kindle. If you just want to read a book on tablet you will get the kindle again. If you want a top of the line tablet aren't very savvy (or just prefer Ios) then you gonna go with the Ipad. But Ipad will win because most people will not be looking to root the tablet. An why spend 250 on a reader tablet when you buy regular Android tablet for 300 with true tablet features and get the kindle app. They still may have a great battle but ipad will win.
  • Yoru Azenia 2011/10/06 12:40:03
    Yoru Azenia
    +1
    Ipads are stupid period why get that when you can have an ipod touch that fits in your pocket and does the same stuff for less.
  • V~POTL~... Yoru Az... 2011/10/06 15:19:40
  • Yoru Az... V~POTL~... 2011/10/07 12:49:55
    Yoru Azenia
    +1
    those are fun too depending on the book
  • paintba... Yoru Az... 2011/10/13 04:30:20
    paintball_addict18
    or you could just buy a netbook or a laptop and have twice the functionality of the tablet.
  • Yoru Az... paintba... 2011/10/13 06:42:35
    Yoru Azenia
    True but thats a given I was just comparing the two touch screen devices
  • jpb 2011/10/06 05:09:36
    jpb
    The brilliance on Amazon's part is it is not a direct competitor of the iPad. Everyone else has tried that and failed either because software was lackluster or the hardware was inferior. Kindle Fire is probably a little of both, but at a great price-point. Good job Amazon.

2014/04/19 22:24:58