PUBLIC OPINION > People Are Split Over Obama's Same-Sex Support

President Obama made history on Wednesday when he became the first U.S. president to openly support gay marriage. Before now, he had been skirting around the issue -- supporting civil unions, but stopping short of full support. In an interview with ABC News, he said, "At a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married." It's a bold move, but will it help his campaign? We asked the public.

As of writing this, less than 24 hours after Obama made the announcement, there were exactly 644 votes for this poll: 322 think it will hurt his campaign, and 322 think it will help. With a margin of zero votes, it's impossible to predict how Obama's new stance will affect his campaign. But it's clearly a divisive issue. Opinions ranged from "a stand for equality" to "cheap pandering" -- needless to say, tensions were high. But where were those tensions rooted?

Resistance From the Right

It might seem obvious at first, but it's interesting to note that both liberals and conservatives seem to have voted as if it were a question of preference. Liberals were strongly convinced it would help (81%) and conservatives were strongly convinced it wouldn't (15%). That doesn't say much in terms of prediction, but it explains the dead heat. Moderates fell at exactly 50%. Typical.

Homosexuals Have Faith

On the same note, homosexual voters were strongly convinced Obama's announcement would help his campaign -- again, probably because it's a big push in their favor. Straight voters, on the other hand, made up the majority of the vote, so they came out even. However, we did notice a few comments from gay respondents who expressed concern that it might hurt the campaign after all.

Women Have High Expectations

Now here's a demographic that might actually give us some information -- one that's not directly related to the issue at hand. Nearly two out of three female respondents felt the decision would help Obama's campaign. And, judging by the correlation of the above demographics, that could mean women are more likely to support gay marriage, or even Obama. Men voted in the other direction, but not as strongly. (There were more male votes, hence the balance.)

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Obama's support of gay marriage. We'd love to hear from you!

• Bud 2012/05/10 16:43:29
    Bud
    +26
    The man has a right to his opinion as long as he doesn't have the power to shove it down our throats. What has me outraged is this statement--Obama's words--"When I think about all those soldiers or airmen or Marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf---" Some of you (including me) are old enough to remember June 6, 1944. Can you for even a second imagine General Eisenhower stating "over there fighting on my behalf" when discussing D-Day. In my opinion, our president is an insufferable, narcissistic, imperialist.

Bud

• BattleB... CAPISCE 2012/05/14 23:24:29
    BattleBunnys
    +1
    Not sound like a basher or crazy fanatic or anything, but I'm curious and you seem level-minded (or at least having the same "I don't give a damn what you think" attitude that I have) why does it matter, in your opinion, if two people get married?
  • CAPISCE BattleB... 2012/05/14 23:31:54
    CAPISCE
    +2
    As long as they do not force America to change the definition of marriage I don't give a crap who or what they pair up with. That said, the intolerance of the Gay community to accept civil unions with all benefits of marriage exposes there agenda
  • BattleB... CAPISCE 2012/05/15 00:12:50
    BattleBunnys
    Can you explain the second part a little bit more (Sorry, I have a migraine and my ability to process things at the moment isn't the best)
  • CAPISCE BattleB... 2012/05/15 00:20:05
    CAPISCE
    +2
    I believe the Gay community(and Liberals) enjoys trampling on others belief systems. Explain to me why it's necessary for the world to change the definition of marriage?
  • BattleB... CAPISCE 2012/05/15 01:18:26 (edited)
    BattleBunnys
    +1
    I suppose I'm not a stereotypical liberal than: I respect that your beliefs differ from mine and I'm not gonna try and "recruit" you to believe what I believe, but personally, I believe that government should butt out of marriage, I feel it is such an odd topic to debate about, you know? I feel those that weaken the value of marriage are those who are like Kim Kardashian and get divorced as soon as the cameras go off.

EDIT: had to fix some grammar errors
  • CAPISCE BattleB... 2012/05/15 12:27:38
    CAPISCE
    Don't worry about the edit, I hate the grammar police. All I'm saying is Gays should have all the rights of marriage but call it something else. Every religion and governmental body considers marriage between a man a woman so why can't the Gay community be tolerant to those long standing beliefs? Civil Union or domestic partnership should be fine (with all the benefits of marriage), but it's not because as usual the Gays want to trample on others beliefs.
    Liberals are the least tolerant and narrow minded people---and I'm a registered Independent who has views all over the map from very liberal to very conservative depending on the issue.
  • teamrn CAPISCE 2012/05/15 07:03:24
    teamrn
    +1
    That's what I believe, too. The definition of marriage is a union between MAN and WOMAN.

When MAN and MAN or WOMAN and WOMAN unite, there needs to be another word. Turtle or pear or SOMETHING other than marriage that conveys the same legal rights. BUT IT'S NOT MARRIAGE!
  • Trust N... Monolith 2012/05/15 13:03:28
    Trust Noone
    +1
    I say let's all go gay and bering an end of the human race. I'm sure the Eco nuts would love that.
  • ixithed... Monolith 2012/05/30 11:40:52
    ixithedustkeeperixi
    I'm a Christian and I have several friends and one family member who are gay, bi, and lesbian (my cousin is engaged to her girlfriend and planning a wedding). I love them and talk to them every day, but they know my stance on things. Let them get married... who cares really. I just don't think any minister should be forced to marry them (they have a choice of whether or not they want to marry anyone based on if they think they're right for eachother... they have a right to refuse) just like a doctor shouldn't be forced to offer abortion. Just like you say God's the one who will judge them. I think we should ALL have equal rights... Christians included.
  • ixithed... ixithed... 2012/05/30 11:42:18
    ixithedustkeeperixi
    Let me also add that if gay people want to get married so badly people need to re-think marriage and see that if even they want to be united in marriage that there's something to making a life long commitment to the person you love and not just living together.
  • micha77 2012/05/14 20:17:54
    micha77
    +2
    It will hurt him enough to deny his reelection.
  • Emelya 2012/05/14 20:12:39
    Emelya
    Obamas gay??
  • Izzy Emelya 2012/05/14 20:26:05
    Izzy
    +3
    obviously
  • Emelya Izzy 2012/05/14 20:38:57
    Emelya
    I thought he just supported it!!
  • Izzy Emelya 2012/05/14 20:43:18
    Izzy
    +2
    Nope he's gay now
    Gooogle it
  • Emelya Izzy 2012/05/14 20:45:53
    Emelya
    kk. tmb
  • Scott 2012/05/14 20:10:00
    Scott
    +1
    People Are Split Over Obama's Same-Sex Support

I know, some people think it's stupid because of the political risk.
    Some people think it's stupid because the don't agree with same sex marriage.
    While others think it's stupid because of sanctity of marriage.
    Still others think it's stupid because the president has no control over such matters - yet.
    And then there's the people that think it's stupid because it's obviously pandering to the gay vote.
    Some think it was stupid because 32 states, over half (even if you take Obami's count of 57) are so concerned about this issue they have passed laws defining marriage that requires man and women.

Still others say it is simply a distraction to get peoples minds off Obama care thing.
  • Izzy 2012/05/14 19:51:27
    Izzy
    +4
    Marriage is a human right that homosexuals are not currently entitled to. So logically they are not human. This is why I take my gay sister to the vet, not the doctor.
  • bettyboop Izzy 2012/05/14 23:54:24
    bettyboop
    +2
    And she probably gets way better medical care going to the vet.
  • Izzy bettyboop 2012/05/15 00:23:51
    Izzy
    Absolutely she does. Animals need animal care, not people care. Gays are so irritating. Thinking they're people.
  • bettyboop Izzy 2012/05/17 01:58:11
    bettyboop
    +1
    I was not indicating she was not a person and there for should be taken to a vet. I made the comment because I find so many people doctors now a days who do not give a damn about their patients, where as my vet seems to really care about my dog.
  • Izzy bettyboop 2012/05/17 21:14:36
    Izzy
    Well that's odd. I wouldn't really know much about that. I don't go to the doctor really.
  • bettyboop Izzy 2012/05/18 14:12:12
    bettyboop
    Give it another 30 years Izzy (that's how much older I am than you) and you will indeed be seeing the doc. more than you want to.
  • Izzy bettyboop 2012/05/18 21:20:14
    Izzy
    +1
    I don't believe in healthcare. It eliminates natural selection. All we have left is motorcycles.
  • bettyboop Izzy 2012/05/19 11:36:51
    bettyboop
    Ah yes, motorcycles are good at that.
  • kobidobidog 2012/05/14 19:13:28 (edited)
  • Commander Pyle 2012/05/14 17:11:29
    Commander Pyle
    +2
    Oh, but it would hurt a republican if he went against gay marriage. At least to MSNBC and CNN it would. If generic republican candidate had failed to hold the door for the lil' ol' lady, it'd be top news for a week.
  • Wahvlvke 2012/05/14 17:05:44
    Wahvlvke
    Thirty two states ... thirty two defeats. I know he is paying homage to his dalliance into homosexuality in the past but this will help tremendously in November to retire his socialist ass.
  • XZQZQ 2012/05/14 14:52:44
    XZQZQ
    +1
    It is all about money, as usual. Reportedly, 20% of Obama's ' bundlers ', - the big time fund raisers - are gay. And are withholding financial support for him until he came out publicly for gay marriage.
  • BwaHa 2012/05/14 14:01:59 (edited)
    BwaHa
    +1
    It's all political. Everyone's not as infatuated with him as they were in '07/'08 that eventually got us into this mess so obummer switched sides again on this issue and he "now supports" (wink wink) gay marriages.

Anything to buy a vote. Though he may have alienated other voters in the process. Only time will tell.

Personally, it's my belief that he's playing the chamelion role again... changing colors according to his surrounding.
  • Dan BwaHa 2012/05/15 00:48:50
    Dan
    +2
    I just hope our chidren won't be voting for beastiality!
  • Tom Dan 2012/05/15 01:53:21
    Tom
    So you like animals?
  • stormy rae 2012/05/14 13:48:03 (edited)
    stormy rae
    +1

but apparently im a right wing nut, because they dont plan on chipping everyone thru obama care, people that dont believe deserve what the impostor serves up, we right wing nut jobs catch so much crap for our beliefs, and the only reason we are trying to spread the message is something you all wouldnt know about called love, i place the information where you can go view the docs, and a video with the breakdown, and who rejects looking at it, all that still believe in him, the facts are out there and you wonder why the people that are aware of the government total corruption call you sheeple, and keep saying and posting what we do, if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck, the mother fu**er is quacking the video below has the break down of obamacare, tells you where in the document you can find the rfid chip info and noone wants to hear the truth, so you have been warned, and it is you that will be more pissed in november, and more confused, as we have issued our warnings, and you ignore them, you call ron paul supporters racist, but the reality is we talk about him out of love for our lives and our country people. When obama takes off his mask you wont have the time to react, or rise against, because your time is now
  • gadget 2012/05/14 12:41:55
    gadget
    +5
    A piss poor diversion tactic for the unemployed masses to chew on...... its the economy stupid
  • ☆Hitler was a community org... 2012/05/14 12:33:13
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +7
    Bull sh*t...no one I know gives a rats @ss...but we would like our jobs back...clown
  • CAPISCE 2012/05/14 12:08:21
    CAPISCE
    +9
    Split over Gay marrige? Really--where did you get that info from?
    REALITY CHECK--Gay Marriage was put to vote in 33 States, Gay marriage was voted down in 33 states.
  • Mark5610 2012/05/14 11:27:45
    Mark5610
    +7
    The only one “split” is the media who is drumming this dip stick crap up just to keep people distracted from Obama dismal record.
  • Jake Blanton 2012/05/14 08:57:28
    Jake Blanton
    +1
    We should pray for him to help him come to the right decision...

Psalm 109:8 - 109:14...
  • sundance 2012/05/14 08:45:46
  • jakep51 2012/05/14 07:27:30
    jakep51
    +3
    The question of whether or not Barack Obama supports (or does not support, as the case may be) anything at this point in time is moot. Promising to support (or to not support, as the case may be) is only done with the intention of collecting votes. If the President supported this issue why wait till now to "announce" his support? Gay and Lesbian individuals or couples should not be fooled into thinking Barack Obama has their best interest in mind by coming forth at this time in their support. He does not. He has is re-election in mind and nothing else. His support for anything which is controversial at this time will quickly disappear if he should get re-elected simply because once elected for a second term, he no longer needs to support anything which can be viewed as controversial because he cannot run for a third term, unless he of course chooses to declare himself Supreme Dictator of the Former United States of America and rename the nation in his honor, The Communist States Of Obama.

2014/11/25 23:26:53