PUBLIC OPINION > People Are Split Over Obama's Same-Sex Support

President Obama made history on Wednesday when he became the first U.S. president to openly support gay marriage. Before now, he had been skirting around the issue -- supporting civil unions, but stopping short of full support. In an interview with ABC News, he said, "At a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married." It's a bold move, but will it help his campaign? We asked the public.

As of writing this, less than 24 hours after Obama made the announcement, there were exactly 644 votes for this poll: 322 think it will hurt his campaign, and 322 think it will help. With a margin of zero votes, it's impossible to predict how Obama's new stance will affect his campaign. But it's clearly a divisive issue. Opinions ranged from "a stand for equality" to "cheap pandering" -- needless to say, tensions were high. But where were those tensions rooted?

Resistance From the Right

It might seem obvious at first, but it's interesting to note that both liberals and conservatives seem to have voted as if it were a question of preference. Liberals were strongly convinced it would help (81%) and conservatives were strongly convinced it wouldn't (15%). That doesn't say much in terms of prediction, but it explains the dead heat. Moderates fell at exactly 50%. Typical.

Homosexuals Have Faith

On the same note, homosexual voters were strongly convinced Obama's announcement would help his campaign -- again, probably because it's a big push in their favor. Straight voters, on the other hand, made up the majority of the vote, so they came out even. However, we did notice a few comments from gay respondents who expressed concern that it might hurt the campaign after all.

Women Have High Expectations

Now here's a demographic that might actually give us some information -- one that's not directly related to the issue at hand. Nearly two out of three female respondents felt the decision would help Obama's campaign. And, judging by the correlation of the above demographics, that could mean women are more likely to support gay marriage, or even Obama. Men voted in the other direction, but not as strongly. (There were more male votes, hence the balance.)

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Obama's support of gay marriage. We'd love to hear from you!

• Bud 2012/05/10 16:43:29
    Bud
    +26
    The man has a right to his opinion as long as he doesn't have the power to shove it down our throats. What has me outraged is this statement--Obama's words--"When I think about all those soldiers or airmen or Marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf---" Some of you (including me) are old enough to remember June 6, 1944. Can you for even a second imagine General Eisenhower stating "over there fighting on my behalf" when discussing D-Day. In my opinion, our president is an insufferable, narcissistic, imperialist.

Bud

• Hoss 2012/06/01 20:56:30
    Hoss
    With respect to how it's going to affect Obama's chances, I would say that it could well hurt him with the religious Blacks, and there are indeed religious Blacks. Whether their repulsion over Obama having such an anti-Biblical stance outweighs their blind vote-because-he's-Black is another question.

Leftists, however, will slavishly vote for him, regardless. Conservatives, recognizing that the man is a foreign imposter and saboteur, or domestic traitor (does it really make a difference in the end?) will never vote for him.

What is sickening is that we have now such a large Traitor Class in America, who, even though they live here and enjoy the benefits and protections of our wealth and the freedom, bought through the sacrifices of those who truly love America, hate this country and work towards its destruction.
  • ixithedustkeeperixi 2012/05/30 11:34:40
    ixithedustkeeperixi
    +1
    You have to look at it this way. Most of the people who support Gay marriage were already going to vote for Obama but there were still alot of them who don't support it that were voting too. There are Muslims, a huge chunk of the African American and Hispanic communities, Catholics, and even some liberal Christian parties that still supported him but with him openly supporting Gay marriage his support is going to take a huge hit. Hey may get more donations and financial support from Gay marriage supporters but that's about it. I also hope that people realize that he's just saying it to get more donations. Last election it was women's rights and healthcare. (OH and give me a moment to remind folks about his past stance about being openly AGAINST Gay marriage. Obama is changing his stance on things as much as Romney. The real question this election is which snake in the grass you're willing to risk voting for cause either way they're gonna turn around and bite you in the butt.)
  • gary 2012/05/25 13:32:26
  • anna philip 2012/05/17 07:59:18
    anna philip
    +2
    i feel Obama knows what he is doing by accepting the fact that gays should get married and he must have thought of his campaign i.e if it will affect it before making the decision.

ANNA PHILIP
    CALEB UNIVERSITY
    IMOTA, LAGOS
  • Becky 2012/05/15 22:43:00
    Becky
    Oh My; Won't the girls like this !!!
    ono
  • Hoss Becky 2012/06/01 21:29:07
    Hoss
    I guess she's have to crawl between two rocks to shed that outfit.

Fitting, for a disbarred Illinois lawyer.
  • Tuna 2012/05/15 15:47:43
    Tuna
    +2
    I don't know where your information comes from but it has been 2-1 (62%-36%) everywhere I have read; 2-1 he made the statement for poiltical gain ONLY; the man can't get re-elected; he is desparate.
    obama desparate
  • Hoss Tuna 2012/06/01 20:59:01
    Hoss
    Ummm..

Larry Sinclair already did.
  • Tuna Hoss 2012/06/02 14:56:29
    Tuna
    I heard somewhere Obama may be a little ac/dc?????
  • ruralntex 2012/05/15 14:31:12
    ruralntex
    +1
    These polls are almost completely propaganda. Look at the states around the country that have state constitutional amendments defining marriage as being between one man and one woman. Those with the constitutional amendments total 31 and another 11 have laws defining it the same way. These facts suggest that 50-50 split is unlikely, or those that are for same sex marriages just do not vote. Furthermore, 3/4ths of the states can amend the US constitution. That would be 38 states. This should make marriage remaining a state by state decision preferable to those supporting same sex arrangements, but oddly enough, they are pursuing and challenging state decisions in federal courts. The way things are, they can at least move to Massachusettes or NY et. al. If the federal constitution must be amended to define marriage, they will have to move to Canada.
  • Hoss ruralntex 2012/06/01 21:37:41 (edited)
    Hoss
    Absolutely. This is a top-down, cram-down, not an upwelling of popular support. In each place where government-sanctioned Sodomy has been passed, it has been taken out of the hands of the People and invariably over the people's objections.

The people of California voted to take back Traditional Marriage, but that vote seemed to count for nothing as a single, homosexual federal judge nullified their vote.

The voters of Iowa, in an unprecedented move, removed three rogue judges from the Iowa bench after those judges jammed state-sanctioned sodomy on the people of that state.

The People of Maine successfully re-took Traditional Marriage back, but you little about this in the press.

In other states, to include DC, where homosexual 'marriage' has been imposed, the People were prevented from having any say in the matter.

Yes, the People need protection from rogue judges and corrupt legislatures (such as the state of NY, which violated a raft of rule-making laws in order to get SSM passed). A Constitutional Amendment were serve well to put this issue to rest.
  • ruralntex Hoss 2012/06/02 12:15:02
    ruralntex
    I agree with your statements here whole heartedly friend. I can live and let live but they want more and it is likely to cost them in the end. Kind of like a moth around the candle. They can't resist and if they get too close....
  • shadow76 2012/05/15 13:41:30
    shadow76
    Big surprise,not
  • Purebread#1 2012/05/15 13:24:38
    Purebread#1
    It will HELP HELP HELP !!!!!!!!! About damn time too and I'm not gay just believe in equal rights for ALL. People are born gay . IT'S NOT A LIFE CHOICE. GOD MADE THEM BORN THAT WAY. MUST BE A DARN GOOD REASON
  • Hoss Purebre... 2012/06/01 21:19:47
    Hoss
    No. After decades of research and millions of taxdollars devoted to the subject, even the heavily pro-homosexual APA has admitted that there is no gay gene, and that it is caused by 'environmental factors.'

For over a century, researchers have known that this mental disease and sexual deviancy often is a product of being a victim of childhood molestation and / or an early dysfunctional childhood environment (a look at the parents of a young Adolph Schickelgrueber is a good example).

So, no, they aren't 'born that way.' Even if they were, such as those born with birth defects or other mental deficiencies, such as Down's Syndrome, does it make sense to glorify and elevate what has proven to be a heavily diseased and deadly behavior?

At present the Centers for Disease Control estimates that one in five homosexuals is HIV positive. You know, that highly-contagious, incurable and fatal disease closely associated with homosexual acts? Statistically, an active homosexual will die, on average, 20 years before his Normal peers, due to a combination of his high-risk behaviors and the diseases he will contract because of those behaviors.

Case in point, homosexuals often have the health profile of someone living in a Third World country, specifically, one without a proper sewerage and ...

Case in point, homosexuals often have the health profile of someone living in a Third World country, specifically, one without a proper sewerage and water treatment system. Homosexuals, as a group, have high rates of Typhoid, liver flukes and intestinal diseases. From these and other diseases, and from doctors' interviews with Gay patients, we know that homosexuals ingest medically-significant amounts of human fecal matter, urine and diseased semen.

Those facts alone should signal to anyone that this is not a normal, sustainable alternative to -- well, being Normal.

Even worse, this small 2 percent of the population preys heavily on little boys. Fully 84 percent of underage boys who have contracted AIDS or HIV got it through male-on-male rape, and yet the mainstream media keeps that uncomfortable fact under wraps.

Why on Earth, should any government, which is charged with looking after the health, safety, morals and welfare of its citizens, ever THINK of putting its stamp of approval on such a heavily- diseased and deadly BEHAVIOR?

Homosexuality drives most HIV and AIDs infections
  • David Lindner 2012/05/15 07:27:09
  • teamrn 2012/05/15 06:56:31
    teamrn
    +1
    In light of the joblessness, the economy and the energy crises, do we really need to spend time on this? He said nothing the other day, than to say that his daughters thought that people shouldn't be discriminated against and this is better left to the states.
  • Jiorgia 2012/05/15 04:11:52
    Jiorgia
    woo go President Obama.
    election ploy or not, it is still a big step for LGBT's everywhere.
  • teamrn Jiorgia 2012/05/15 06:58:08
    teamrn
    +2
    This was a clear election ploy. How is it a big step for the LGBT community?
  • Jiorgia teamrn 2012/05/15 07:05:45 (edited)
    Jiorgia
    +1
    because for the first time a residing president has openly endorsed same-sex marriage and LGBT rights.
  • relic Jiorgia 2012/05/15 16:43:32
    relic
    +1
    Then you must love Dick Cheney too for being a residing vice-president doing the same.
  • Jiorgia relic 2012/05/16 01:46:55
    Jiorgia
    +1
    not love him, but like that he did it.
  • teamrn Jiorgia 2012/05/20 22:49:47
    teamrn
    So, that's what he did? There's a big difference between endorsing (which anyone can do) and doing something about it. He did nothing.
  • ixithed... Jiorgia 2012/05/30 11:28:18
    ixithedustkeeperixi
    I think it would've meant more to everyone if he had done it before the election or after. At this point it seems like empty words to me.
  • Kigan 2012/05/15 04:05:39
    Kigan
    +1
    I personally feel that people are having way too much of a reaction.

- This statement came after Biden spoke first and forced his hand
    - This statement came AFTER the tragedy that is North Carolina's Amendment 1
    - We are in an election year

Currently, we have a man who has been campaigning all along making a statement several months out from his re-election in response to a very sad event. People are getting overjoyed and tearful - but he hasn't done anything.

I'll wait and see what he does after the election. When he's not up for re-election, and if he does more than express his personal opinion.
  • Kigan 2012/05/15 04:04:26
    Kigan

- We are in an election year

• teamrn Kigan 2012/05/15 06:58:56
    teamrn
    +2
    I agree 100%. He hasn't done anything!
  • evangelism_vision 2012/05/15 03:03:44 (edited)
  • joe mauro 2012/05/15 02:16:59
    joe mauro
    +1
    gay people are for it fked up paranoid haters are against it and most of us couldnt care less
  • Giantfighter 2012/05/15 01:22:49
    Giantfighter
    Not suprising, but I wonder about the President's motives, since this should've come much sooner if it is his true belief, however, I don't see the big criticism for a president to express his personal opinion. All have done so, except that it just happens to be about equal rights for gays & not some other group like Muslims who also hate gays, but I'm all for equal rights under the American Constitution, as long as it is between consenting adults & doesn't harm anyone.
  • dawn 2012/05/15 00:50:37
    dawn
    I think 'll be hurt by his continual push to make the country give up our traditional values. He's belittling religion, pushing homosexuality,denouncing our exceptionalism and anything else he can think of to bring us down !
  • JosephT... dawn 2012/05/15 01:09:26
    JosephTruth
    +2
    Again, times have changed. Traditional? Is this the middle east? It has nothing to do with religion. Marriage isn't just a religious thing. If your church doesn't want to marry a gay couple, then so be it. But love is love. He isn't pushing homosexuality, he's in support of it. American exceptionalism; the theory that the United States is different from other countries in that it has a specific world mission to spread LIBERTY and democracy. Liberty, as in freedom, freedom to do what makes you happy. Love is love. He's making our exceptionalism even greater. You're stuck in the past. My generation doesn't agree with your generation and guess what; my generation are future leaders of this country. Open your mind.
  • Monolith JosephT... 2012/05/15 12:54:33
    Monolith
    We do so hope!
  • Monolith dawn 2012/05/15 12:53:58
    Monolith
    He is not pushing homosexuality he is pushing TOLERANCE (look it up - it's in the Bible quite a bit!!)
  • bettyboop 2012/05/14 23:52:15
    bettyboop
    +2
    I do not agree with homosexuality. I am sure there are homosexuals who do not agree with how I live. Having said this, I think it is also wrong to cheat on your spouse, to abuse or molest your children, to beat on your wife, to hurt innocent animals etc. And yet all these people, except homosexuals are allowed to marry and get the benefits marriage brings. Homosexuals are still people, they still deserved to be treated as such and have the same rights everybody else has.
  • steven 2012/05/14 23:16:53
    steven
    +5
    Doesn't matter what position he takes--he will be lieing to get elected.
  • teamrn steven 2012/05/15 06:59:46
    teamrn
    +1
    Steve, that's one position I agree with you on.
  • Monolith steven 2012/05/15 12:56:26
    Monolith
    You're thinking of Mitt (and Kerry got flip-flopper coined by the RWNJs - even though everyone changes opinions now and then - EXCEPT BUSH - even if he was wrong he was NOT gonna change his mind or admit he was wrong!)
  • Monolith 2012/05/14 21:27:29
    Monolith
    Why do you Christians (who are supposed to let GOD do the judging care so much about ANY other man's PENIS!!!!! Maybe you are latent homosexuals!?! I, of course and rightly so, could care less!
  • CAPISCE Monolith 2012/05/14 22:57:55
    CAPISCE
    +2
    I'm a gnostic Christian--I don't give a crap if you or anyone else screws bulldogs but I will not ever vote for changing the definition of marriage. I think it's arrogant for the Gay community to try to force that on anyone.

2014/11/23 04:50:50