PUBLIC OPINION > Most People Would Date Outside Their Political Party

Politics 2012/12/11 20:00:00
Talking politics is easy if you see eye-to-eye, but when your opinions are night and day, sometimes the conversation can get ugly. But what about couples who disagree over politics? How does that work? We wanted to know how much of the public would be willing to date someone outside of their political party.

recap

For this question, we included an "It depends" option for those who could date outside their political party, but have reservations. Overall, half of the respondents were willing to date outside their political party without reservation, and 22% were completely unwilling. Fair enough. Now let's dig into the demographics.

Moderates Don't Mind

There wasn't a huge difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals were about 5% more likely to say they'd date outside their party; nothing to write home about. But it was interesting to see how much more likely moderates were. You could argue that they don't technically have a "party," though it's telling that few selected the conditional "it depends."

Men Are More Willing

We couldn't recap this question without taking a look at the gender breakdown. It turns out men are actually a little more willing to date outside their political party, but only by about 8%. Women are also 4% more likely to refuse altogether. That could suggest that men are a little more open-minded. Or it could suggest that men are a little more desperate.

Young Adults Are Open

The age breakdown was only interesting at a couple points -- the early twenties and over sixties. Respondents in their early twenties were most likely to say they'd date outside their political party with over half voting a hard "yes." Only a third of respondents over 60 said they would be willing to do the same. Of course, the over-sixties are more likely to speak from experience.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about dating and politics. We'd love to hear from you!

• Denny Boy 2012/12/12 20:04:14
    Denny Boy
    +15
    Who cares about politics? It's not as important as religious beliefs. I don't see the point of getting almost every person in this country to join a political party. It just sparks more prejudice between people who think one political system is better than the other.

• Blueskys 2013/02/22 17:18:26
    Blueskys
    The very last thing that I ever talked about with any wife or real GF was politics, and it never was a issue.

I have dated a few Feminists briefly. They don't count as GF's. They were very opinionated and controlling. I received lectures on the superiority of women, learned from Mom said this sweet looking 18 year old. No kidding I speak the honest truth.
    So far as I know at least 80% of women are not Feminists, and safe to date.
    What other politics is there?
  • JeffDeWitt 2013/02/18 14:14:32
    JeffDeWitt
    As long as you can disagree without being disagreeable why not? It makes for some interesting discussions and you both might learn something.
  • Todd The Libertarian 2013/02/17 23:31:41
    Todd The Libertarian
    Never worked for me.
  • Somebody?? 2013/02/07 15:59:38
    Somebody??
    I think it is ok love is love
  • jennifer.v.loucks 2013/01/26 19:55:47
    jennifer.v.loucks
    +3
    If you accept and respect one anothers differences it doesnt matter all that much.
  • Mary Mary 2013/01/24 13:02:40
    Mary Mary
    I don't even know what my husband votes lol you allowed race to come between love, religion to come between love now you have politics to come between love. Are you all nuts?
  • rereblue 2013/01/15 05:22:15
    rereblue
    If your relationship can't handle having differing political views then you probably shouldn't be in it. Politics aren't a big deal, and me and my boyfriend don't often see eye to eye, and we've been together for 4 (nearly 5) years. We also don't have the same religion, but there is more than politics and religion to us, it's called respect and communication.
  • choua Yang 2013/01/09 20:48:25
    choua Yang
    +2
    Politics shouldnt be important.
  • moira.faulds.14 2012/12/30 10:08:42 (edited)
    moira.faulds.14
    +14
    Ha ha ha! That's hilarious! That reminds me of the old days when my great grandfather had to leave ireland because he was protestant and married a catholic lady...we came to the new world to get away from that kind of persecution on the basis of religion, race, and political beliefs, didn't we? As a matter of fact, isn't the separation of church and state one of the tenets of the first amendment of the united states constitution? why yes it is!

"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly cited by the Supreme Court of the United States.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...." and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The modern concept of a wholly secular government is sometimes credited to the writings of English philosopher John Loc...&

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...." and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The modern concept of a wholly secular government is sometimes credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke, but the phrase "separation of church and state" in this context is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Echoing the language of the founder of the first Baptist church in America, Roger Williams—who had written in 1644 of "[A] hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world"— Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1]

Jefferson's metaphor of a wall of separation has been cited repeatedly by the U.S. Supreme Court. In Reynolds v. United States (1879) the Court wrote that Jefferson's comments "may be accepted almost as an authoritative declaration of the scope and effect of the [First] Amendment." In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), Justice Hugo Black wrote: "In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state."[2]

However, the Court has not always interpreted the constitutional principle as absolute, and the proper extent of separation between government and religion in the U.S. remains an ongoing subject of impassioned debate
  • Bibliophilic 2012/12/19 22:03:25 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    No GOPers, sorry. Why would a gay person in the USA vote Republican? Why?!

gay republican lol homophobe republican

A person with far right views would not make a good date. Sexually repressed people can be cute, but that's about it...
  • Shonny Bibliop... 2012/12/20 02:46:45
    Shonny
    +1
    silly, Conservatives don't hate people because they're black or gay and are poor. what a bad misconception, sir.
  • JeffDeWitt Shonny 2013/02/18 14:16:14
    JeffDeWitt
    No we don't, what "Bibliophilic" is doing is stereotyping.
  • LayLady 2012/12/18 02:03:41
    LayLady
    If they try to match me up with their black and white image of how a person should be/look like, they can hit the road.
  • manny 2012/12/16 20:45:38
    manny
    no
  • jc 2012/12/16 12:52:42
    jc
    Really depends on the person and their attitude.
  • Dark Dragon Goddess 2012/12/16 08:13:59
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    You fell in love with the person, not their views on politics.
  • kai.kro... Dark Dr... 2012/12/18 00:01:40
    kai.kroeger.3
    +2
    yeah and then you divorced her citing "Irreconcilable differences"
  • Dark Dr... kai.kro... 2012/12/18 05:13:47
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    Haha. Glad me and my man don't even have a political stance xD
  • Stormi 2012/12/15 22:59:07
    Stormi
    yush.
  • shydreamguy 2012/12/15 20:52:38
    shydreamguy
    Thats dating not a Relationship i only would if He coud be swayed over more twards freedom for all American Citizens. lets face it what your talking about here is would i date a gay Republican ? yes there are even some things that party believes that i do but they have been against all gays latley so he would need to be able to bend on some issues depending on how hard core he is.Im not angry with the
    Log Cabin Republicans-(gay Republicans) i feel sad for them
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/12/15 05:15:08
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    I dated a "conservative" for 7 years, we never talked about politics except for ONE time after we split. I had no idea he watched Glen Beck and Fox Noise. We're still very close but I REFUSE to talk to him about anything political. I'll only date outside of my political party if they aren't a political junkie like me....
  • JeffDeWitt Wilde~M... 2013/02/18 14:18:42
    JeffDeWitt
    You both missed out. If you two could have actually discussed politics and the issues of the day (discussed, not fought about!) it could have given you some lively discussions, and you both might have learned something.
  • Wilde~M... JeffDeWitt 2013/02/19 21:25:43
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Yea, I missed out on a lot of headaches! We had a lot of other things in common, politics was not in our cards
  • JeffDeWitt Wilde~M... 2013/02/19 21:35:07
    JeffDeWitt
    There was a short, stocky black retired Marine (Master Sergeant?) at work, one of the management guys. We really had very little in common, and he's a big fan of Obama and I'm totally the opposite.

We had great fun arguing with each other about politics, because we both liked to discuss it AND we could disagree without being disagreeable.
  • Wilde~M... JeffDeWitt 2013/02/19 21:50:32
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Some people aren't made to disagree without being disagreeable, and my ex was one.
  • JeffDeWitt Wilde~M... 2013/02/19 21:52:19
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    Guess that's one reason he's your ex!
  • Wilde~M... JeffDeWitt 2013/02/19 22:07:11
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Aside from being a conservative he was nuts, BUT we are still friends and I respect his being!!
  • JeffDeWitt Wilde~M... 2013/02/19 22:10:20
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    Well... I'm about as conservative as anyone your'e likely to meet and some of my friends are a little to the left of Mao. LOL
  • MadMax 2012/12/15 01:53:46 (edited)
  • bill.fife.3 2012/12/15 01:32:40 (edited)
    bill.fife.3
    In the end it didn't seem to matter. Outside my party one was trustworthy and I felt no jealousy yet we didn't see eye to eye on important issues and she eventually bailed. Inside party one was virtually out of control, defiant and though we agreed passionately on things that mattered the damage done by the relationship was lasting and deep long after I finally got up the courage to walk away.

As background I feel certain my parents while possibly starting on the same page eventually diverged and ended up on opposite sides... even as they celebrated their 60th anniversary and beyond. So does it really matter?
  • LindaM 2012/12/14 23:18:41
    LindaM
    +1
    If they weren't hating, I wouldn't think it would matter.. Kind of nice to have another's point of view,...................if nice about it.
  • GOP Poison 2012/12/14 21:03:07
    GOP Poison
    +3
    One night stands are OK but if there is a conservative woman I would date on soda I am yet to speak with her.
  • LindaM GOP Poison 2012/12/14 23:41:03
    LindaM
    +2
    Good luck with that.. lol
  • GOP Poison LindaM 2012/12/15 00:26:47
    GOP Poison
    +1
    You ever get to Laughlin? I was a craps dealer there for 5 years
  • LindaM GOP Poison 2012/12/15 00:29:51
    LindaM
    Only been to Laughlin twice but did pretty well on the Black Jack tables. Always wanted to be a dealer on the tables but BJ is my game.. Love it..
  • GOP Poison LindaM 2012/12/15 00:31:01
    GOP Poison
    I started on Black Jack and was moved to craps.I was at the Golden Nugget
  • LindaM GOP Poison 2012/12/15 01:30:54
    LindaM
    Did you ever gamble on your days off? Or did you get your fill with dealing? The craps tables always confuse me. Too many people going in every direction. Lol
  • GOP Poison LindaM 2012/12/15 11:56:57
    GOP Poison
    Yes I was a gambler.Almost all of the casino employees I met were either active or former gamblers that thought they could make enough gambling that they would not have to work. I was a sports gambler and won quite a bit of money at it but the problem is that the sports books are in casinos.Therefore when you win you play some black jack or craps and then eat and then go home.Eventually you go broke and get a job. LOL
  • remy GOP Poison 2012/12/14 23:52:52
    remy
    +1
    hey now!
  • GOP Poison remy 2012/12/15 00:27:27
    GOP Poison
    +1
    Every minute spent with you is treasured

2014/04/25 07:56:32